I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

I think there's a "red card goblin" that lives in our pharmacy registers....we very rarely get prompted by the registers, but it inevitably happens on the "pain in the keister" guests (hence, the goblin, who only initiates the prompts on these "favored" guests;)). I usually just decline those without even asking because they get irritated when we simply ask if they have any questions. For the RPh...adding on "are you in the Rx Rewards?" and "have you had your flu shot?" has already almost pushed them over the edge....no way in heck I'm tempting fate by asking yet ANOTHER question!!!!

There are times when you know that prompt is inappropriate: you don't speak the same language, the guest is on their phone, they are complaining about everything Target has ever done to them....

Of course I'm not advocating skipping them for fun, but sometimes it's best to let it go.

There are times when you know that prompt is inappropriate: you don't speak the same language, the guest is on their phone, they are complaining about everything Target has ever done to them....

Of course I'm not advocating skipping them for fun, but sometimes it's best to let it go.

This. Just don't get carried away and make sure your GSTL isn't around...

I assume it is only our store doing this This black thursday/friday for the initial rush 6 of our 24 lanes will be for REDcard holders, or people wanting to apply, only. Think of it as something similar to the fastpass system that disneyland and disneyworld use. I can see this as being a big driver for conversion as well as a major benefit because who honestly wants to wait in line for hours that day? I can also see where people might get mad and will accuse us of needing to hit a quota, which makes me glad that I am closing. I will only have to hear about it, not witness it!

But how will we enforce it you ask? Our store has our line system down to a science that day. We have people line up in one central line at the end of the lanes. We then allow each lane to only hit 1+1, which ends up keeping the area in front of the lanes clear. This means that the ETL letting people into the checkout area can verify that they have the card before letting them be directed to the REDcard lanes by a GSTL/GSA who will also be able to verify that they are complying with the rules.

I like our line system because it eliminates people cutting in line and also keeps it looking orderly, not the typical black friday flustercuck style checkouts...

Last edited:
I think the cashiers should ask every single guest if they want a red card and try to sell ESPs all the while vibe like crazy.
Follow the instructions and make those sales but slow things down to a crawl in the process.
Should make Black Thursday much more interesting.

What we did was send people to guest service if they wanted to apply for a card then they made their purchase at the service desk. Pretty much all of guest service was for applying.

We ended up with 107 by 6am when I left, not sure what our total was from the rest of the day.

We had 9.87 conversion for last week. I suspect it was because by Friday afternoon, the prompt was not coming up at all (even for large cash orders). Our STL's response to hearing about our conversion score? "Why didn't you go for 10?"

We had 9.87 conversion for last week. I suspect it was because by Friday afternoon, the prompt was not coming up at all (even for large cash orders).

I found our number of prompts really low too, so in a cheery way I told our ETL-GE that that really must have helped our score. We normally average 500-600 prompts a day. Black Friday? About 25. In a way she burst my bubble because she told me that on black Friday corporate turns off the prompts. A few managed to get their way through I guess!

I found our number of prompts really low too, so in a cheery way I told our ETL-GE that that really must have helped our score. We normally average 500-600 prompts a day. Black Friday? About 25. In a way she burst my bubble because she told me that on black Friday corporate turns off the prompts. A few managed to get their way through I guess!

Black Friday had its check card prompts unchanged (basically prompting on any medium to large order that is paid with a check)... HOWEVER the credit prompts only triggered over $1000... Which would account for the difference everyone saw... Essentially you only needed a few Redcards on Black Friday to be green... anything else is extra so I guess corporate was being nice!

We had 9.87 conversion for last week. I suspect it was because by Friday afternoon, the prompt was not coming up at all (even for large cash orders). Our STL's response to hearing about our conversion score? "Why didn't you go for 10?"

Is this your STL?

3ry6p6.jpg

What are you doing at your store to drive Red Cards? I'm in a chart one store, our conversion rate isn't terrible but I'd like to significantly do better. I'm a Senior GSTL, I also want to sell more SRP's. Any insight would help. Thanks guys!

We have started doing the consistent follow-up routine with all cashiers so that they know where they stand. We are also documenting everything and will soon put the ones that are terrible with guests, the vibe, and REDcards on CCAs.

Back