I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

The way they harass people into signing up for them, they need better incentives. I could see a 10-15% for signing up and a point system for larger discounts or gift cards.

There was a while ago last year (or maybe the year before) when there was a coupon for an additional 5% off when signing up for a red card (put next to all the registers like the 5 cents off for using a reusable bag). It was one of the few times I would push hard for a red card because I could use it to get attachments ("It will only work for this purchase only"). I know we had a ridiculous conversion rate for those two weeks (like over 10%). It's a shame that hasn't come back.

I literally ask every customer they either already have it (apparently our store as 40% of it's customers with redcards) or they "forgot it at home". Any tips?

I'm curious here...

Today I had a cashier shift and my GSA told me that today and tomorrow we are giving the guest 10% to sign up for a redcard. I'm wondering if anyone else's store is doing this...or if my store really is this desperate to get them!

Our store did the 10% on Friday and today.....guessing that Sunday will be the same.....10%.

Our store was a test store last month that with every guest that got approved they got a one time use additional 5% off mailed to them when they got their card (to combine for a 10% off trip) I think cooperate is testing for adding some additional incentives to sign up to drive conversion.

10 would go over better... I'da gotten two today.

Our red card queen admitted taking advantage of a 90+ year old man.... Ugh, she badgers and beats them down, making life hell for the rest of us that don't believe in doing that.

We obviously aren't testing the 10. Darn.

I always just start with "Do you have the Target debit card?" When they say no, I say "Well have you heard about it? You know it's NOT the credit card but you still get the 5% off every time and still pay with your existing checking account. Oh, and you can get your 5% off at Starbucks too." blah blah blah. I don't know why the Starbucks part always gets people. They're on the fence about saving 5% off their $350 worth of crap but when you tell them they can save 5% on their $5 drink, they get all excited.

Our etl wants us to say "will you be putting this on your target debit today" mid-transaction and when the guest says no he wants us to say something along the lines of "the money comes directly out of your preexisting account and theres no Interest, or fees, just 5% off on top of your coupons and cartwheel savings" "or if you like to pay at the end of the monthly we have a credit card option as well" Such a mouthful, but it sparks interest in the card or they say "what is cartwheel? "?. It actually covers everything except ESP's and circling the survey.

Last edited:
You guys still circle the survey? We got an e-mail months ago from district (or group, something of that nature) saying we weren't to do that under any circumstances. No explaining how the % amazed score works and all that either. They felt it was poisoning the well on the results.

We stay green when we circle surveys. When we stop doing it the few dissatisfied people make us red because nobody else took the survey.

Yeah they'd rather we have red legitimate scores than try to push the survey and fight for greens that way rather than the "true" way of great guest service or whatever.

Well, its legitimate either way. We're not telling them to give us 5's or anything for a giftcard, just to tell us how we did. An angry guest will always look for ways to be heard.. a satisfied guest will not always let it be known they are happy.. I dont see why your district/group is against it.

For as hard as they're pushing these, they ought to start offering some extra incentives. Simple things. How about 10% off your very first purchase and then 5% every time after? What about a "points" system -- let's say, 5 points for every $50 spent, and for every 25 points accumulated you get 10% off instead of your usual 5%. For every 100 points accumulated, you get 15% off plus a $15 GiftCard. Plus, there are "double days" (chosen at random) where you get 10 points instead of the usual 5 per $50 spent just for shopping that day.

People love gimmicks like that.

Our red card queen admitted taking advantage of a 90+ year old man.... Ugh, she badgers and beats them down, making life hell for the rest of us that don't believe in doing that.

oy I cant stand people who do that to the older guests! we have a retirement home next to our Target and the older people come over all the time. I only have them sign up if they know they are signing up for a credit card.

No...corporate told us about a year ago that stores were not to do that and anyone caught doing it would be subject to ap and giving unauthorized discounts.
This sounds like it would go against the VIBE. If we tell our TMs they can take up to $20 off a product themselves if a guest is contesting the price, I don't see how 10% would hurt. Sometimes the whole VIBE thing seems contradictory of policy.

oy I cant stand people who do that to the older guests! we have a retirement home next to our Target and the older people come over all the time. I only have them sign up if they know they are signing up for a credit card.
We have a whole HUGE community next to us. It is a huge chunk of our daily guests.

She only seems to get her huge amounts when she is off on her own (and she is of retired age herself). I've let my gstl know she is badgering, the rest are afraid to speak up. In this case, a co-worker said the guy said NO clearly 3 times, and she still kept going and finally wore him down. The rest of us ask and move on.

I had my register freak on me and not process a card, twice. I was kinda happy because by the time we got thru the application I don't think he should have been making the decision to get one. :-(

But she is desperate to keep her numbers higher than the rest of us..... Me? I need to sleep at night, and taking advantage of older folks isn't going to let me do that.

Part of the problem with this concept of "taking advantage" of guests, is that they ARE adults: they make the decision to sign up for it. You don't force them. As long as you are not lying to them or misleading them, then there is no moral dilemma. Lots of Red Cards come from impulsive guests with bad credit who regularly sign up for retail store cards. If you want to get a lot of Red Cards, you've got to be willing to cash in on that. The guests' credit scores are not your responsibility. Make sure they know it's a payment card, tell them the benefits, and answer any questions they have, and that's all you have to do.

ClearanceMaster's ETL has it right. I always tell my cashiers that by the 3rd or 4th item into the transaction, you should be talking about the REDcard and engaging/educating guests on the benefits of opening one.

It also helps to taylor your message to each guest. Right now, with BTS, talk about Take Charge of Education. This christmas, talk about extended returns and free shipping online. Old hag? Talk about pharmacy rewards.

Really making sure they understand the benefits of opening up another debit card on their pre-existing checking account is a huge part of it, and getting them to understand that "Hey, if I'm shopping here every week with my debit card, I'm a f**cking idiot to not get a REDcard." because, well, they really are..

Who is green for conversion in your store? Who gets the most redcards? Learn from them; find out what they're doing with their guests and mold that into something that works for you. Everybody has their own niche for redcards, so just get ideas from your fellow cashiers.

I get all of mine at guest service, while guests are paying their bills.. "Hey, if you'd like to save a step and stop writing out checks every month, I can get you set up with a target debit card. It's just like making a second debit card with your current checking account, so it gets you all the benefits without using a line of credit."

Back