I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

They are not rejecting you personally. It's all a numbers thing. The more people you ask, the more REDCards you will get. Remember that it takes about 100 no 's to get 1 REDCard. And, yes, a lot of it is luck. So just keep asking. Also it might be a good idea to talk with you GSTL about your approach. Practice with him/her and look for another way to explain the benefits.

Which is kinda bullshit in itself. How you gonna make people who work for you & make peanuts sign up for a damn card so they can use a discount they earned?!?! JCP doesn't do that, Wal-Mart doesn't do that, Sears doesn't either last time I checked. All their employees can use any form of payment to use their discount. Poor form there Corporate!
Macy's does the same, so does Kohl's. I don't think Walmart or JCP have store cards.

They are not rejecting you personally. It's all a numbers thing. The more people you ask, the more REDCards you will get. Remember that it takes about 100 no 's to get 1 REDCard. And, yes, a lot of it is luck. So just keep asking. Also it might be a good idea to talk with you GSTL about your approach. Practice with him/her and look for another way to explain the benefits.

I ask all the time if there's anything else that I could do different. It's just frustrating because the biggest two things I hear is 'i don't want another card' or when i mention the debit 'i don't have my checkbook with me'. Not to mention, our VIBE is still down & so at the same time I'm trying to keep my pitch as non-pushy & polite as possible to avoid a bad survey. So frustrating...

Guest: I don't want another card.

ME: Yeah, I sure get that. But keep in mind that with the REDCard you get that 5% every time you shop AND you get free shipping year round. Did you know that you can even ship to Alaska and Hawaii with free shipping?

Guest: I really don't need another card.

ME: Yeah, but for future reference, remember that we have a debit option that works just like writing a check. AND you donate 1% of everything you purchase to the school of your choice anywhere in the US. With no annual fees and no transaction fees from Target, that sounds like a pretty good deal, doesn't it?

Guest: Yeah, that's a great deal.

ME: Do you have a check with you? We can sign you up in about 2 minutes.

Guest: No check with me.

ME: That's okay. We can still sign you up for the credit today so you'll save that 5% and next time you come in you can bring you check and get the debit card. Do you have your ID handy?

BINGO - sold that REDCard.

Does it work every time? Nope, but if I'm on a lane, I can usually drive 6 or 7 a day.

Keep upbeat. If you're not sure it's a good deal, you'll never be able to convince anyone else it's a good deal. Act as though it's the best thing since electric lights and your guests will be convinced.

Note I said *act* because everything I do on the floor at Target is an act. Am I thrilled to be at Target everyday? No. Do I get paid to act like I am? Yes. Am I excited to see all those old, sweaty, messy, stupid morons who come in with the sole purpose of messing up my zone? No. But as soon as I leave the TSC, I'm *on* as the happiest Target Team Member on earth, excited to see you and feeling lucky just to grant your every wish.

ME: Yeah, I sure get that. But keep in mind that with the REDCard you get that 5% every time you shop AND you get free shipping year round. Did you know that you can even ship to Alaska and Hawaii with free shipping?

ME: Yeah, but for future reference, remember that we have a debit option that works just like writing a check. AND you donate 1% of everything you purchase to the school of your choice anywhere in the US. With no annual fees and no transaction fees from Target, that sounds like a pretty good deal, doesn't it?

ME: That's okay. We can still sign you up for the credit today so you'll save that 5% and next time you come in you can bring you check and get the debit card. Do you have your ID handy?

Does it work every time? Nope, but if I'm on a lane, I can usually drive 6 or 7 a day.

Keep upbeat. If you're not sure it's a good deal, you'll never be able to convince anyone else it's a good deal. Act as though it's the best thing since electric lights and your guests will be convinced.

Note I said *act* because everything I do on the floor at Target is an act. Am I thrilled to be at Target everyday? No. Do I get paid to act like I am? Yes. Am I excited to see all those old, sweaty, messy, stupid morons who come in with the sole purpose of messing up my zone? No. But as soon as I leave the TSC, I'm *on* as the happiest Target Team Member on earth, excited to see you and feeling lucky just to grant your every wish.

I don't get paid enough to be this upbeat, sorry.

I don't get paid enough to be this upbeat, sorry.
Actually you do get paid enough to be this upbeat. This IS your job. And it's not hard. You'd be surprised how much more pleasant your day would be if you would be, uh, pleasant, instead of bitter about doing the job you were hired to do.

Actually you do get paid enough to be this upbeat. This IS your job. And it's not hard. You'd be surprised how much more pleasant your day would be if you would be, uh, pleasant, instead of bitter about doing the job you were hired to do.

I am more than willing to pitch the REDCard. I do it every shift, every day. But I absolutely cannot sound like some slimy salesman when doing it; I'm not paid enough for that nor do I hate myself that much. A simple pitch is fine.

Guests can see through that fake smile on your face, and they would appreciate it more if you attempted to sound like a genuine person.

i'll take "things guests will never say" for 100, alex
Sorry, that's not correct. How much did you wager?

Seriously, I heard that from four guests just today. And I wasn't on a lane; I'm a GSTL. I talked to the guests while they were checking out and four of them signed up.

You can make excuses all you want, but if you put forth the effort, your conversion will be the proof.

Spot has something new in the works....and yes its another card, well more of another app for your phone. . They will be testing out a " loyalty " type program that will work somewhat like rx rewards. They will be testing it in a specific region of a certain southern state.

Last edited:
Spot has something new in the works....and yes its another card, well more of another app for your phone. . They will be testing out a " loyalty " type program that will work somewhat like rx rewards. They will be testing it in a specific region of a certain southern state.
Healthful.

It's an app for your phone. We were told at huddle about it, and the LOD made it sound like it was live, though I haven't tried to download it yet. And no, I'm not in a southern state.

Last edited:
I have a friend who works at one of the stores its being tested in. ...it will be rolled out in that area this month. The app keeps track of what you spend and you get points...which you can redeem for an additional 5 percent off . This program is only being tested in the eastern part of NC

I have a friend who works at one of the stores its being tested in. ...it will be rolled out in that area this month. The app keeps track of what you spend and you get points...which you can redeem for an additional 5 percent off . This program is only being tested in the eastern part of NC

Then why in the heck do we have stachions up advertising this in a completely different part of the country?

I don't know...I am just saying what I have heard people at my store say and my friend saying what they were told at their store. I think its called Red Perks or something like that .

So our store has a goal for a 7% conversion, and apparently we've been hitting that lately. Today though... we barely got any by the time I left, and every manager was pushing them like crazy. Far more than they've done in the past. I'm starting to get little nagging pokes about my terrible conversion rate.

Corporate is raising our goal to 3.3 in February, which means my ETL-GE wants 3.5. He's started this whole "vibe to 3.5" movement whereby he raises the goal 0.5% every 2 weeks and we are supposed to well "vibe to 3.5"

sigh...yay, just want I want to do, let the cashiers know they have to get even more. Then listen to each one say, all the guests have one.. it's old - just ask each guest for a redcard unless they have one in their hand..I want to say It's your job, do it...

At least for my store, I looked at our sales stats and something like 65% of our YTD sales have been with redcards. Probably a district thing not a corporate thing.

We've been at 3.5% goal since last summer. I can't believe there have been districts where it's been lower.

And if your store really had a 65% penetration rate, it would have been all over the table talkers, the Red Magazine and every other piece of propaganda this company puts out.

We've been at 3.5% goal since last summer. I can't believe there have been districts where it's been lower.

And if your store really had a 65% penetration rate, it would have been all over the table talkers, the Red Magazine and every other piece of propaganda this company puts out.

I am probably reading the reports wrong.

The thing is, we actually meet that most days. Redcards aren't a super big deal for my store because we hit our goals anyway.

Wow. Do you guys get a ridiculously small amount of prompts? Even when we get a lot of Red Cards, we're still below the conversion goal because we get killed by prompts.

Back