I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

I feel like that only happens because they aren't on a lane for eight hours :/
We have a new GSTL who likes to scope out the baskets of guests approaching the lanes and push the REDcard on the larger baskets. He gets a lot of the apps that way. He also likes to approach guests who are already in a lane with large baskets and try to push the REDcard right in front of the cashier. He tried that with me last week and after the guest was gone, I pulled him aside and told him to please not ever do that again. I was already talking to the guest about the benefits and the guest just wasn't interested. I told him it's disrespectful to the cashier and a bit grimy. I've heard that he's done that to other cashiers as well.

This is not a thread about pushing redcards in general, but more about the nonsense talk concerning them.

This is the first week when I don't think we'll make our goal.

There is one senior tl who will say at huddle ... Hey team, we have to meet our goal. We don't have a choice.

What does that even mean? If we don't meet goal, is everyone in the store fired?

And they are forever saying ... We need to educate the guest.

Just gets old.

my store just got rid one of our biggest incentives to get RCs which are the $5 starbucks giftcards...now when i get a RC i don't get a reward other than a temporary "good job"...then it's "ok when are you gonna get another RC????"
really target....

There shouldn't be rewards for doing what you're told. Team member regularly help guests and make sales, but no rewards. I worked five pallets yesterday, but no Starbucks for me! I'm not being negative, but I find the practice offensive to anyone not on a lane.

Each time you get a red card, an ETL gets their wings.

I am going to write an expose of this redcard nonsense ad send it to our citys paper. We are in a capital city. I am going to have my sister mail it from another state, you see if I dont!and then i will come out as the whistleblower and i will be a savior of the working class. Helen Mirren will get the starring role in my biopic, and Jack white willplay my long suffering hubby...
This is what happens when i get on a sugar high, but hell. It is Friday night!

There shouldn't be rewards for doing what you're told. Team member regularly help guests and make sales, but no rewards. I worked five pallets yesterday, but no Starbucks for me! I'm not being negative, but I find the practice offensive to anyone not on a lane.

Uhhhhhh in MY store, they hand out vibe cards for free starbucks drinks like candy: Great job helping a guest, fantastic AAR, Way to go on green metrics, Good job cleaning up that spill!
My TL has talked to leadership about this several times but they say it's the only thing they have to give out.
Really.

Uhhhhhh in MY store, they hand out vibe cards for free starbucks drinks like candy: Great job helping a guest, fantastic AAR, Way to go on green metrics, Good job cleaning up that spill!
My TL has talked to leadership about this several times but they say it's the only thing they have to give out.
Really.

Not at my store. Not at my district, actually. Gifts are not to be given to team members. Team leaders and ETL's are pushed to 'recognize' team members over the walkie.

Really.

Oh, goodness, I WISH they'd recognize us in some way, even if the Vibe card didn't have any incentive attached. If we help a guest on the floor, the only people who know about it are you and the guest. Meanwhile, the cashiers get a RedCard and are acknowledged over the walkie (which makes no sense because they don't carry walkies and the rest of us now have to hear how great someone else is all. freaking. day.) and given incentives.

Like DoWork said, we don't get incentives for doing what's expected of us on the floor, and, honestly, it's a little offensive to the floor team to constantly give rewards to another workcenter right in front of us.

I'm going to start congratulating myself and team members on the floor for basic things over the walkies. We deserve it. *pats entire sales floor team on back*

P.S. This is not to say that the cashiers aren't freaking great and deserve rewards. It's more of a "we all deserve rewards" type thing.

Most of the chatter is for guests to hear if they happen to be by a TM and to drive a culture surrounding red cards. From what I understand, when Target sold off the redcard business they also agreed to meet goals as far as new signups for the other company. We are not meeting those goals. Therefore there is a giant push on redcards for the past forever it feels like.

tl;dr: pushing redcards used to be to drive sales. Now pushing redcards is to meet the obligations of a contract and hopefully drive some sales.

Cashier and CA are the lowest paid positions in the store.

When I was hired, I was told I would have to educate the guests about the benefits of Redcards. No one ever said that I was required to get at least 1 per shift. Now I am required to get at least 1 per shift.
I can explain the benefits of subscriptions (a big push at my store these days), cartwheel and Redcards. Explaining is one thing, but salesmanship is a whole "nother skill set. Most people are not skilled in the art of sales. This is why sales people tend to be well compensated and why they usually get a commission off of the sales that they generate. Really doesn't make sense that they lowest paid workers in the store are expected to generate repeat sales (and larger shopping basket totals) by getting people to sign up for a RedCard. My store has more Redcards in the weeks that they offer a SB, giftcard or something that costs more than an .89 cent candy bar.

This doesn't mean that I think my other TM's don't deserve more benefits for going above and beyond when doing their jobs. I just don't know how to measure that or what Spot wants them to do to generate more sales. I just know that Spot shouldn't expect it's cashiers to have above average skills when its cashiers don't get paid anymore than cashiers at any other retailer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Red cards are fk annoying. One your shift get a red card did you get one did you get one you all need to stfu.

Red cards are fk annoying. One your shift get a red card did you get one did you get one you all need to stfu.

reading-ikea-intructions-big-lebowski-confused.gif

Our weekly goal went up to 130. Previously it was slightly over 100. Most weeks, we're lucky to get 70. On top of meeting this outrageous goal, we're also expected to make up for all the weeks we were red (AKA, every week since they switched to this shitty flat number goal system). What a load of barnacles.

Our weekly goal went up to 130. Previously it was slightly over 100. Most weeks, we're lucky to get 70. On top of meeting this outrageous goal, we're also expected to make up for all the weeks we were red (AKA, every week since they switched to this shitty flat number goal system). What a load of barnacles.
Yikes! We got bumped to 70, and I thought that was ridiculous.

What are you doing at your store to drive Red Cards? I'm in a chart one store, our conversion rate isn't terrible but I'd like to significantly do better. I'm a Senior GSTL, I also want to sell more SRP's. Any insight would help. Thanks guys!

I like to do a Hot potato game for 3 hr at a time. We use a stuffed doll monkey to represent the hot potato holding a singe that reads Red card hot potato winner. The team member that is holding the hot potato at the end of the game or the end of their shift wins the prize.

This is something I found on a web site known as Gaia Online. On Gaia Online there are two types of currency you can use: Gold and Gaia Cash. The latter you can either buy with real money or earn by doing things like fill out out surveys or stuff like in the screen cap below. (Yes, one of the ways you can earn fictional money is signing up for a Target Red Card.)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-10-13-53-22-2.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-10-13-53-22-2.png
    350.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
this may have been answered a million times but I'm having a really hard time getting REDCards and my store is super pushy today. I think I'm just unlucky, but maybe I'm not pushy enough? it's just kind of embarrassing because I can never get any and everybody I work with gets them. so what do I do? do I need to be pushier? how do I talk about it? it sucks cause I'm a pretty good cashier but that's completely ignored because I don't get REDCards.

this may have been answered a million times but I'm having a really hard time getting REDCards and my store is super pushy today. I think I'm just unlucky, but maybe I'm not pushy enough? it's just kind of embarrassing because I can never get any and everybody I work with gets them. so what do I do? do I need to be pushier? how do I talk about it? it sucks cause I'm a pretty good cashier but that's completely ignored because I don't get REDCards.

If you read through the thread (yes, I know it's 42 pages) you will find a ton of great suggestions on how to work the card into your routine without sounding pushy.

Back