I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

I am eighteen, just got a job in the café, and was hoping to start building credit with a REDcard credit card. I have no credit, and my history only includes a few credit card app rejections from discover. I was hoping to get a credit card through the store. Should I be able to get one?

It probably won't approve you without a credit base, and doesn't offer the option of a co-signer.

I suggest getting a debit REDcard, and then a different credit card with a co-signer.

I've been told that Warehouse Club, Credit Cards are much easier to get, and use to establish credit history. Worth a shot, maybe :)

I would check with a local credit union for a credit card. Or find a bank checking account with a credit line. Some banks have a student or starting credit card. Very low limits though.

Since its an instant approval process, if you don't have already established credit, you will not be approved for the Target card.

Last edited:
I'm around your age and have a credit rating of "good" but was rejected because my credit history wasn't established enough so I doubt you will be approved.

I had this same problem when I first started applying for credit cards. If you are heading to college soon, the applications will make their way to you :excited:. If you aren't headed to college, certain places will sometimes approve you with little/no credit history. Your best bet is to get a credit card through a bank that allows you to build your credit. They often require you put around $300 in the credit account to secure funds, but it is a great way to build your credit.

You can probably obtain a credit card through the bank that you currently have accounts established. That is usually the best place to start. Your first card may only be a couple of hundred dollars, but it is a start.....just make sure to pay it off in full, when you can. When you can't pay it all in full, pay as much over the minimum as you can.

Another option would be to call 1-800-discover and talk with an account representative....tell them your situation and be sure to suggest a small credit limit ($300.00). They may be willing to help you if you're the one who suggests the dollar amount.

A gas card is also a great idea.

You can even try to get a REDcard.....perhaps as an employee you might get approved (it can't hurt to try) try getting it as a debit card first. Because then you will at least have a history with a company. Or contact (maybe through eHR the "Target" bank and they may let you get a card.)

Whatever you do...make sure that you do not miss a payment....if you do, it will probably be listed on your credit report and it will be even more difficult to establish credit.

Worst case.....as someone to co-sign for you....and even then ask for a small credit limit...this way, you'll establish credit and the co-signer might be more than willing to co-sign. Remember, if someone co-signs, they'll be the ones who will end up with problems if you don't pay.

Pellione and others have great advice. It is suggested to read the fine print of credit cards. Know what happens when you missed a payment, like 21% interest & maybe late fees. Be smart, don't let peer pressure from others make you do something, that you may not be able to afford.

My first CC was a capital one platinum visa with 0% apr for a year, then it went up to 3% then 6%
6 years later and my apr is still only 6% for some reason despite my falling credit score and late payments (I was unemployed for over a year before Target took me in and I used that card). It wasn't a student card, but I remember the information they sent me talked it up as a good card for students.

I have no clue how to go about finding an offer like that, though. When I started school, I started getting a bunch of credit offers in the mail and I just picked them because it was the best deal of the ones I received. Anyway, in conclusion or TL; DR Shop around. You may be able to find something better than 20% apr elsewhere. Student cards might be worth looking into as well. They usually have perks that are more geared to younger people.

Hi everyone. i am looking for some fun, creative, unique ideas to get the team excited about getting REDCards. We have done all the usual ideas but I want to try something new. Any ideas what works for you and your team. Thanks in advance

The games I always remember were simple raffle games.

If you got a Red card, you get to put a raffle ticket in a drawing for various prizes. STL buys your next meal at Food Ave. Target Branded items. A CD/DVD of your choice. $5-$50 giftcards. Clearanced TVs or electronics. Paid shift.

Then there were token games, if you get a red card, you get a token. Then you can turn in your tokens to buy Target Branded items or merchandise. 2 tokens a free meal. 5 tokens for a $5 giftcard. That failed because couple TMs knew where the GSTLs were hiding the tokens and snatched a bunch up.

Or if you got 3 RedCards in a shift, you get to pick a prize.

Passing the spot dog every time someone gets a red card in 4 hours period. The winner who got the most cards, got a $15 gift card or movie & the dog. The game got real intense the other day, we got 15 plus cards. Everyone had fun with it for once.
Here is a link for more ideas:
http://www.thebreakroom.org/showthread.php/1693-Red-Card-incentive-ideas

My store does this from time to time when we're having a slow Red Card day. Whoever has Bullseye at the end of the 4 or 5-hour period gets to keep it.

The best "game" for REDcards at my store was "the balloon popping game" This is how it went:

At the beginning of your shift you picked a number (randomly) from a "hat" (container)
The number on the piece of paper determined your "REDcard Goal" for the day
when you met that GOAL at the end of your shift you could pop a balloon in the ETls office.
in the balloons were wonderful prizes such as:

FREE STARBUCKS DRINK AND TASTY SNACK
$20.00 PFRESH
$20.00 ELECTRONIC
FREE MEAL AT FOOD AVE
A TARGET DOG (DRESSED FOR THE SEASON!)
MAKE YOUR OWN SCHEDULE FOR THE DAY
EXTRA BREAK (15 MINS)

This game was very successful, There was a different "Spirit" in my store. The moral boost this game gave was pretty amazing. Even the old-timers
that were not fully on-board with pushing REDcards were really trying, informing guests and succeeding on conversion.
sadly this game is not gone.

The best "game" for REDcards at my store was "the balloon popping game" This is how it went:

At the beginning of your shift you picked a number (randomly) from a "hat" (container)
when you met that GOAL at the end of your shift you could pop a balloon in the ETls office.

$20.00 PFRESH
$20.00 ELECTRONIC
FREE MEAL AT FOOD AVE
EXTRA BREAK (15 MINS)

This game was very successful, There was a different "Spirit" in my store. The moral boost this game gave was pretty amazing. Even the old-timers
that were not fully on-board with pushing REDcards were really trying, informing guests and succeeding on conversion.

I love this idea! Thanks!

$20.00 PFRESH
$20.00 ELECTRONIC
FREE MEAL AT FOOD AVE
EXTRA BREAK (15 MINS)

I love this idea! Thanks!

I like this idea too!

While games are fun, they're short-term for the most part. I think that you'll start to see lasting results when the team is held accountable for asking the correct way. Engaging in brief conversation, tailoring a RedCard pitch to them as best they can (free shipping, extended returns, take charge of education, etc), and follow through recognition/"teaching moments" with GSA/GSTLs.

While games are fun, they're short-term for the most part. I think that you'll start to see lasting results when the team is held accountable for asking the correct way. Engaging in brief conversation, tailoring a RedCard pitch to them as best they can (free shipping, extended returns, take charge of education, etc), and follow through recognition/"teaching moments" with GSA/GSTLs.

I think you're right, games are short lived.
The real motivator would be cash.
How about actually paying the cashiers a living wage so they feel motivated to engage?
Loyalty to the company works both ways.
If you want people to care about a program, to put their all into it, you have to give your all in return.

Last edited:

I also found this argument amusing... not getting red cards because you aren't "asking" the right way.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

The fact is, target is pushing credit cards. Loans. Debt.

After the recession, people are not stupid enough to fall for this stuff anymore. Let's just get real. Anyone who gets a credit card (especially Targets with its 25%+ interest rate) and starts charging away is a complete moron and clearly learned nothing from the economic disaster the entire country just went through. (not saying these people still don't exist, but most of them were financially annihilated during the recession)

You know what I think when some GSTL/ETL is crying that it's the TMs fault that guests turn down the credit card? I think "No idiot. They are just smart enough to avoid the financial disaster of the debt trap. The TM didn't screw up, the guest is just smarter than you"

I also found this argument amusing... not getting red cards because you aren't "asking" the right way.

After the recession, people are not stupid enough to fall for this stuff anymore. Let's just get real. Anyone who gets a credit card (especially Targets with its 25%+ interest rate) and starts charging away is a complete moron and clearly learned nothing from the economic disaster the entire country just went through. (not saying these people still don't exist, but most of them were financially annihilated during the recession)

You know what I think when some GSTL/ETL is crying that it's the TMs fault that guests turn down the credit card? I think "No idiot. They are just smart enough to avoid the financial disaster of the debt trap. The TM didn't screw up, the guest is just smarter than you"

"You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig"

This. Epic comment but still I try to push the debit card most of the time but kinda weird how it has a 100$ transaction limit...I can see why people split up transactions now

"You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig"

This. Epic comment but still I try to push the debit card most of the time but kinda weird how it has a 100$ transaction limit...I can see why people split up transactions now

100 transaction limit?

Back