I'm Lost! The Target Dating Thread

Target simply has very strange policies and, TBH, have NO idea how FT career persons at Target manage to survive without turning into drinkers or something.

I don't drink, don't have a need to drink. Hell don't even drink coffee regularly. I manage my stress healthy.

Target is the ONLY company I've EVER heard of that is so weird about fraternizing. It's actually ridiculous.

I don't come from a retail background which is why it looks as ridiculous to me as it actually is. It REALLY IS stupid.

In my regular world I've been to dozens of weddings of co-workers over the years. Every last friend I've had in my adulthood came through work or my main hobby.

Target simply has very strange policies and, TBH, have NO idea how FT career persons at Target manage to survive without turning into drinkers or something.

I've never seen such a peculiar environment. First month in, about 4½ years ago, I asked the HRTM in confidence, "What's wrong with these people? They all either gossip or don't talk to each other at all. It seems like everyone dislikes each other except to gossip about person x."

That's NOT a normal environment and when (if) you leave retail you'll find that out.

I'm not in retail anymore.
I work in a state office.

I wasn't talking about going to weddings or formal affairs like that.
My boss has gone to the weddings of my coworkers.
We are a close and tight knit group.

I'm not in retail anymore.
I work in a state office.

I wasn't talking about going to weddings or formal affairs like that.
My boss has gone to the weddings of my coworkers.
We are a close and tight knit group.
I've many life bonds formed on the golf course, long lunches, on the slopes, and Friday cocktail hour. Married a co-worker 9 years my junior whom I met at work. Best friends for many with another.

I'm thankful I didn't start my life in retail. I suspect I'd be quite lonely now. :(

Target is the ONLY company I've EVER heard of that is so weird about fraternizing. It's actually ridiculous.

I don't come from a retail background which is why it looks as ridiculous to me as it actually is. It REALLY IS stupid.

In my regular world I've been to dozens of weddings of co-workers over the years. Every last friend I've had in my adulthood came through work or my main hobby.

I've never seen such a peculiar environment. First month in, about 4½ years ago, I asked the HRTM in confidence, "What's wrong with these people? They all either gossip or don't talk to each other at all. It seems like everyone dislikes each other except to gossip about person x."

That's NOT a normal environment and when (if) you leave retail you'll find that out.
They really are. Most of my family worked for the same company in town. My parents both still do. As long as one of them isn't the other one's boss it's fine. I could even work in the same department as one of them there if I wanted, as long as I wasn't their boss or vice versa. Target sounds the same, but in practice, it's really ridiculous compared to this or any other company.

Was dating someone from Target Mobile and they said we have to break up because the outside company MarketSource (Target Mobile) policy handbook said they couldn't date Target team members. I noticed on here it said team members could though, so is MarketSource's manual contradicting ours or are they lying to me?

Was dating someone from Target Mobile and they said we have to break up because the outside company MarketSource (Target Mobile) policy handbook said they couldn't date Target team members. I noticed on here it said team members could though, so is MarketSource's manual contradicting ours or are they lying to me?
I haven't had it come up recently, but I'm pretty sure they aren't lying. MarketSource has an issue with that kind of relationship because the Tech rep is commissioned and technically not tied to Spot in any fashion, so it creates a potential conflict of interest and complications for Spot's discount policy (as of last time I looked for MarketSource info). I don't recall what the Spot handbook says regarding MarketSource, but if MarketSource says no it trumps Spot's call.

They really are. Most of my family worked for the same company in town. My parents both still do. As long as one of them isn't the other one's boss it's fine. I could even work in the same department as one of them there if I wanted, as long as I wasn't their boss or vice versa. Target sounds the same, but in practice, it's really ridiculous compared to this or any other company.
People meet their friends in school and at work.

Target just has silly practices. Afraid of lawsuits, I guess.

I haven't had it come up recently, but I'm pretty sure they aren't lying. MarketSource has an issue with that kind of relationship because the Tech rep is commissioned and technically not tied to Spot in any fashion, so it creates a potential conflict of interest and complications for Spot's discount policy (as of last time I looked for MarketSource info). I don't recall what the Spot handbook says regarding MarketSource, but if MarketSource says no it trumps Spot's call.
Alright, good to know. I have a bit of a trust issue lol so I wanted to have a second opinion on that.

Not dating or being good friends with your boss or people you manage is super standard across pretty much every industry, not just Target.

To my knowledge it's fine for TMs or those not in a reporting line to be friends/date, but not being good friends with the boss or someone you manage is a best practice pretty much everywhere. I don't get what's so odd about that.

Not dating or being good friends with your boss or people you manage is super standard across pretty much every industry, not just Target.

To my knowledge it's fine for TMs or those not in a reporting line to be friends/date, but not being good friends with the boss or someone you manage is a best practice pretty much everywhere. I don't get what's so odd about that.
Never encountered it before Target but then I never worked in retail [store level] before.

It IS very odd to be in a "caste" system. Very odd but those who've only worked in retail [stores] wouldn't realize that.

I climbed in my career by opting to assocate with those having achieved my greater goals. I gained nothing by hanging out with those my peer. How on Earth would THAT get me up the ladder? In fact, association with peers caused issues as we were usually competing to chomp the same carrot.

I'm obviously not from the retail background. I'm from the corporate world and things in that world are like day is to night.

I'm retired now so just ok with the supplemental and to keep the Baxter (interest bearing checking as well as our 401K) building but I honestly never dreamed such unique things in stores.

Last edited:
It's not about a caste system, as you can certainly date other managers, just not your own. It's about it being more difficult to give impartial feedback to someone you're dating or, even if you can, everyone else on your team assuming that the only reason your lover/friend is getting good reviews/promotions is because of that friendship, not because they earned it. It's not a good position for either the manager or their direct report to be in, so it's just a bad idea.

It's not about a caste system, as you can certainly date other managers, just not your own. It's about it being more difficult to give impartial feedback to someone you're dating or, even if you can, everyone else on your team assuming that the only reason your lover/friend is getting good reviews/promotions is because of that friendship, not because they earned it. It's not a good position for either the manager or their direct report to be in, so it's just a bad idea.
I suppose there can be such corruption. I agree with that. I've not yet seen SUCH as of yet though I'm silently aware of "relationships".

I've never seen nor heard evidence of such however.

I really need to know: a TM and TPS dating - can the TM get fired for that or just the TPS?
Long story short, it’s over and done with but now the TPS is doing some not cool stuff and I feel like I need to protect myself, my job, and future TM’s he may pursue. But if I go to HR with it, will I just get fired anyway?
Also - where can I access the target handbook that states the rules about dating?

Last edited:
Thank you I will do that!
And no we were never confronted to have to lie. I didn’t even realize it was against policy until he told me.
I just want to make sure I won’t be stabbing myself with this double-edged sword

Thank you I will do that!
And no we were never confronted to have to lie. I didn’t even realize it was against policy until he told me.
I just want to make sure I won’t be stabbing myself with this double-edged sword
Guess he got what he wanted out of you , and is now throwing the book at you, literally.

It was actually that he didn’t get what he wanted out of me. I just want to make sure I know what I’m talking about when I have to go to HR

In the original situation you were both at fault.
Depending on the situation, for instance if he was your direct supervisor you both could be fired.
If he wasn't he could transferred and you fired
Sadly that seems to be ASANTS and how they read the HR regulations.

In the current situation it is sexual harassment, you have broken off the relationship and he is harassing you.
That is illegal.
Going to HR is the right thing to do.
Make sure you have everything written down.
Who, what, where, when, times, dates, and if you can witnesses.
Make it clear you feel unsafe and harassed.
The previous relationship is off the table at this point.
His current actions are now the only issue.
They will have to take action.

We had a Etl log and price team member hooking up. He left the company to continue the relationship. Got married and have 2 kids.

Back