The Things Guests Do/Pet Peeves Thread

That almost sounds like the time I had a guest come through my lane

Me: Did you find everything all right today?
Guest: (Loud, overexaggerated sigh) No. You didn't have the drink I wanted I've asked everybody *back there* and they couldn't help me.
Me: Oh? Can I ask what kind of drink it was that you're looking for?
*Guest whips out their phone, showing me a drink that I've never even heard of and that I'm 99% we don't have in the store*
Me: Oh, uh, I've actually never heard of that, but maybe [local grocery store] carries it.
Guest: (Another loud, overexaggerated sigh) You and everybody else. WHY HAVE NONE OF YOU HEARD OF THIS DRINK?!

Good lord, it's just a drink. We're not a full-blown grocery store. We don't carry everything on the damn planet...:rolleyes:

This is specifically why we train front end folks not to ask if they found what they are looking for.

Even if they didn't you aren't going to leave your lane to find it for them.

It's more appropriate for sales floor team to ask CIHYFS

So glad we get to charge for bags. Love when extreme cheap folks try to carry everything in their hands
Yeh, we do too only to have the guest decline a bag before walking down to a closed lane to grab one without paying.
One guy thought he was so clever coming over to Starbucks to check out & ask for a bag.
Kinda burst his bubble when he saw how small our bags were.

So glad we get to charge for bags. Love when extreme cheap folks try to carry everything in their hands

And I LOVE when they don't want bags cuz then I don't have to bag their stuff!!

-->I'm looking at you weekly food shopper with $300 worth of groceries!! I ♡ U for forgetting your bags and not wanting to pay for more!!

I LOVE guests who bring their own bags and offer to bag for me. I HATE guests who make me bag in their own bags that won't stay open. Also because I'm not super-tall I can't see into their bags well when they're on the counter so I get mixed up and over/under-fill bags.

When they can't articulate just what in the fuck they want. They ask where they can find [that thing] but don't explain what it is, what it does, don't have a name for it, and basically just waste my time.

This is why I like phones.

If they are clear on what they want I tell them that the My Device is finicky with the search terms. (I hate how finicky it is, tonight I couldn't even find paintbrushes using the search "paintbrush".) Then I try a couple of searches and if I don't get it, on to part 2.

If they aren't clear or I can't find it, I ask them to look it up on Target.com and then I walk them through getting the dpci number. Most people get it right the first time. The few that don't, I'd spend the same amount of time with those 700 search terms so it's worth it.

If the guest was actually in front of me being that unclear, I'd tell them the My Device is finicky and ask them to Google it on their phone so I could find it faster for them.

Had a guy demand a bag for his ONE item - a bottle of syrup.
He dropped it in the parking lot & was outraged that we wouldn't replace it for free.

Cart Attending pet peeves:

1.) Grabbing a cart off of my line when I'm trying to put carts in the store and you stand in front of my line and don't move.

2.) Abandoning your big ass car seat or grill box in a cart and there's no easy or uninconvenienced way to bring it in.

3.) When there's a cluster f*** going on behind me with 3 cars trying to reverse out of their spot to leave and two cars trying to pass from each direction and you have a fuller than supposed to be line of carts.

4.) Guests backing into my line of carts or my cart pusher when they're leaving and didn't see me when they walked out the way to their car, past me, past my line, and my pusher when I'm off to get carts and you somehow back into it. I'm never in one place for 30 seconds.

5.) Guests never acknowledging me like they would other TMs, or at all.

6.) This is more me, but when I park my pusher behind a car that happened to be the lady's car walking 100ft behind me.

7.) When cars slice and cut through the parking lot when I'm trying to turn my carts into another part of the lot and they throw their arms at me when they almost hit me... not my fault!

8.) Guests who leave their carts next to their spot with a cart holder a few spots away.

9.) Seeing a napkin in the cart you just grabbed, went "ew wtf that's the nastiest thing in this whole world god now I have to boil myself in bleach" and leave the cart there... while I'm trying to pull in a line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it gets in my way.

10.) Guests who never bother to push in their carts if they don't bring them outside.

11.) Guests who don't acknowledge the garbage can 4ft from them and throw their trash in the cart and leave it there for me to clean out.

12.) Guests who travel their car extremely close to me and my line of carts.

13.) Guests who cut me off with their car.

14.) Guests who text and drive and run into me(actually happened.)

16.) When I'm pushing carts into the store and a guest decides they don't need their cart to be brought outside so they leave it inside... right in front of the row of carts I'm pushing carts into.

I feel like I have so much more to add to this list but it all needs to re-happen to make me irritated at it again. I feel like the whole world is against cart attendants lol. Some team members I even feel are against us. If we aren't immediately at a spill, they automatically instruct themselves to get anxious to me over the walkie and get more and more anxious.

Ok, so you called for an assistance for a spill, I acknowledge and reply "hey I'll come in in a sec I have to bring in my line of carts." and no response so I'll bring it in, maybe grab a few more carts along the way depending on the size of my line. (We can't just leave our line of carts out there.), and that usually takes a minute or two to do all in itself. Usually when I'm in the store grabbing what I need for the type of spill it is is when someone will eventually freak out "Cart attendant! Are you on your way?????" and me being irritated by the aggression I'll just say "yep" and arrive literally 10-15 seconds later and make fake happy talk with the TM who freaked out at me so they can leave me alone to clean it lol and they can get back to their job.

Is this post huge enough? Am I complaining too much? Lemme know lol. Most of that list is daily for me, and today it just got to me and I have no one to vent it too.

Some team members I even feel are against us. If we aren't immediately at a spill, they automatically instruct themselves to get anxious to me over the walkie and get more and more anxious.

Ok, so you called for an assistance for a spill, I acknowledge and reply "hey I'll come in in a sec I have to bring in my line of carts." and no response so I'll bring it in, maybe grab a few more carts along the way depending on the size of my line. (We can't just leave our line of carts out there.), and that usually takes a minute or two to do all in itself. Usually when I'm in the store grabbing what I need for the type of spill it is is when someone will eventually freak out "Cart attendant! Are you on your way?????" and me being irritated by the aggression I'll just say "yep" and arrive literally 10-15 seconds later and make fake happy talk with the TM who freaked out at me so they can leave me alone to clean it lol and they can get back to their job.

As one of those anxious panicky TMs I just have to say in our defense that it is very nerve-wracking to try and keep guests from not noticing the smell and not getting so grossed out they don't come back ever while hearing nothing from the cart attendant for several minutes. Maybe offering a realistic ETA (e.g., 10 minutes to get there) might keep the panic down and keep everyone (including you) happy?

As one of those anxious panicky TMs I just have to say in our defense that it is very nerve-wracking to try and keep guests from not noticing the smell and not getting so grossed out they don't come back ever while hearing nothing from the cart attendant for several minutes. Maybe offering a realistic ETA (e.g., 10 minutes to get there) might keep the panic down and keep everyone (including you) happy?

Maybe, it usually never takes any longer than 10 minutes I was slightly exaggerating for effect. Idk I guess I figured everyone knows that I have to put carts back and grab the stuff. Usually I might end up just stealing from a spill station near the spill unless I need something specific like a broom and mop(usually do). You're right though.

The front end team is usually forgiving in that aspect, but the HL people on the floor don't interact as much and I suppose they just don't know.

Did carts long ago & I can relate to every single one; especially almost getting hit in the parking lot.
These suburban-driving soccer moms treat our parking lot like The Circuit Of The Americas.

They drive as if there's a million dollar prize. :D:p

Last edited:
Ok, so you called for an assistance for a spill, I acknowledge and reply "hey I'll come in in a sec I have to bring in my line of carts." and no response so I'll bring it in, maybe grab a few more carts along the way depending on the size of my line. (We can't just leave our line of carts out there.), and that usually takes a minute or two to do all in itself. Usually when I'm in the store grabbing what I need for the type of spill it is is when someone will eventually freak out "Cart attendant! Are you on your way?????" and me being irritated by the aggression I'll just say "yep" and arrive literally 10-15 seconds later and make fake happy talk with the TM who freaked out at me so they can leave me alone to clean it lol and they can get back to their job
Damn, our GSA/TL are always quick to block off a spill so no one panics lol. But of course then you get Mr./Mrs. UltraSpazz who will freak out even after a caution sign has been placed.

1.) Grabbing a cart off of my line when I'm trying to put carts in the store and you stand in front of my line and don't move.

2.) Abandoning your big ass car seat or grill box in a cart and there's no easy or uninconvenienced way to bring it in.

3.) When there's a cluster f*** going on behind me with 3 cars trying to reverse out of their spot to leave and two cars trying to pass from each direction and you have a fuller than supposed to be line of carts.

4.) Guests backing into my line of carts or my cart pusher when they're leaving and didn't see me when they walked out the way to their car, past me, past my line, and my pusher when I'm off to get carts and you somehow back into it. I'm never in one place for 30 seconds.

6.) This is more me, but when I park my pusher behind a car that happened to be the lady's car walking 100ft behind me.

7.) When cars slice and cut through the parking lot when I'm trying to turn my carts into another part of the lot and they throw their arms at me when they almost hit me... not my fault!

8.) Guests who leave their carts next to their spot with a cart holder a few spots away.

9.) Seeing a napkin in the cart you just grabbed, went "ew wtf that's the nastiest thing in this whole world god now I have to boil myself in bleach" and leave the cart there... while I'm trying to pull in a line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it gets in my way.

10.) Guests who never bother to push in their carts if they don't bring them outside.

11.) Guests who don't acknowledge the garbage can 4ft from them and throw their trash in the cart and leave it there for me to clean out.

16.) When I'm pushing carts into the store and a guest decides they don't need their cart to be brought outside so they leave it inside... right in front of the row of carts I'm pushing carts into.

I feel like I have so much more to add to this list but it all needs to re-happen to make me irritated at it again. I feel like the whole world is against cart attendants lol. Some team members I even feel are against us. If we aren't immediately at a spill, they automatically instruct themselves to get anxious to me over the walkie and get more and more anxious.

Is this post huge enough? Am I complaining too much? Lemme know lol. Most of that list is daily for me, and today it just got to me and I have no one to vent it too.
I definitely relate. My workcenter until recently was cashier, but being the only male front end TM I got carts when the CA wasn't working and eventually doubled as the second CA until I made GSA. Every single complaint is valid. Guests definitely don't see CAs as equal to other TMs or even human beings. I had a guy follow on my tail revving his engine and clipping my ankles because he was in a hurry and his truck was too damn big to go around. Also had a guy flip me the bird and curse me out for asking him to move his Audi sports car that was blocking not only my pusher but 3 entire handicapped spots. Then when he finally moved, he came around again to buzz me doing 40. I have perfected jumping onto my row of carts when a car gets too close. We should demand combat pay.

Ah, pet peeve time again:

When they can't articulate just what in the fuck they want. They ask where they can find [that thing] but don't explain what it is, what it does, don't have a name for it, and basically just waste my time.

Case in point:

Them: do you have one of those copper things that help with knee pain?
Me: I'm not sure, is it like socks?
Them: no, it's got copper in it.
Me: is it ointment?
Them: no, it's like those things you put on your arm to stop swelling.
Me: is it a compression bandage?
Them: yeah, that's it.
Me: *searches mydevice/zebra thingie using 700 search terms and comes up with zilch*
Me: I'm not finding any compression bandages with copper in them.
Them: Well it's like those things that you wear around your neck.
Me: [getting angry now] Uh, what?
Them: You put it around your neck and it keeps your arm still.
Me: OH A SLING???
Me: *already typing "sling" into search field*
Them: YES!!!
Me: nope, we don't sell slings but [insert name of local surgical supply company] carries them and your doctor can write a prescription for it.
Them: that's not what I want, it has copper in it.
Me: well, if it's not a compression bandage and it's not ointment and it's not a sling, then is it a bracelet type thing?
Them: IT'S NOT FOR MY WRIST, IT'S FOR MY KNEE.
Me: uh, is it compression socks?
Me: *silently wishes for death*
Them: yeah, compression socks, that's it.
Me: *sends them to correct aisle*

I'm not kidding, this happened this week. I wanted to die.
It is located with as seen on tv, ccopper things

Tonight I saw a guest in clearance as I was running to the phone to make the closing announcement. I told her we were closed and she said "I know", and kept pulling clothes out. I made the announcement, the lights turned off, and she was still pulling out clothes. I told her again we were closed and she snarled "I know!" and pulled out another item. Finally she walked off.

On the way to the front, there were two more guests holding up clothes in front of them in one of the mirrors on the floor. I told them we were closed and they said "We know" and kept taking clothes and looking at them in the mirror.

Wtf? Why are you still deciding on clothes after the final announcement is made and the lights are out?

"Do you price match?"
"Yes we do! What would you like to price match?"
-guest gives me three boxes of tampons and a coupon-
I blanky stared at her and smiled for probably a good 10 seconds before I realized she has no idea what she's talking about and just wants to use a coupon for the boxes.

That was more funny than annoying but :D:p

I definitely relate. My workcenter until recently was cashier, but being the only male front end TM I got carts when the CA wasn't working and eventually doubled as the second CA until I made GSA. Every single complaint is valid. Guests definitely don't see CAs as equal to other TMs or even human beings. I had a guy follow on my tail revving his engine and clipping my ankles because he was in a hurry and his truck was too damn big to go around. Also had a guy flip me the bird and curse me out for asking him to move his Audi sports car that was blocking not only my pusher but 3 entire handicapped spots. Then when he finally moved, he came around again to buzz me doing 40. I have perfected jumping onto my row of carts when a car gets too close. We should demand combat pay.

Yeah I've been rev-bombed by numerous guys as well. An elderly lady actually did it once... what !!! I was dying. I have no idea what I did besides accidentally park my line behind her but I moved right away and she came up to me real slow in her car then just took off really fast.

The guys that bomb me with their loud ass vehicles are really annoying though. I just wanna tell them to get off their high horse lol.

Last edited:

Im jealos that you even get to use the pusher. My parking lot has so many tight corners that it's impossible to use. Which is why I avoid cart duty whenever possible.

Back