The Things Guests Do/Pet Peeves Thread

I tell everyone to not go into the family/disabled rooms, and most people say "Okay" and pick a regular size one. Some people though, they try to sneak in anyway.

Not sure what your store's policy on this is, but I (and the rest of the SL team) don't push the issue when we work FRO. 99% of the people using those rooms at my store are mothers with babies in strollers and if no one's waiting anyone uses them. Just doesn't seem that big of a deal. Most people are in and out of the fitting room within a few minutes.

Not sure what your store's policy on this is, but I (and the rest of the SL team) don't push the issue when we work FRO. 99% of the people using those rooms at my store are mothers with babies in strollers and if no one's waiting anyone uses them. Just doesn't seem that big of a deal. Most people are in and out of the fitting room within a few minutes.

About half the people are out shortly. About half have an insane number of clothes and take forever. And several times I've come back to the fitting room and either have had several mothers with strollers come up at the exact same time or someone's in the family rooms and mothers with strollers come up. Either way when I say sorry I can't accommodate them, half the mothers put down what they were going to try and leave without it. That's a lost sale right there, simply because someone who doesn't need the room hogs it. I don't like that mismanagement of wants over needs has cost a sale more times than I have fingers on my hands.

Either way when I say sorry I can't accommodate them, half the mothers put down what they were going to try and leave without it. That's a lost sale right there, simply because someone who doesn't need the room hogs it. I don't like that mismanagement of wants over needs has cost a sale more times than I have fingers on my hands.

Yeah I get what you're saying. Its rare that anyone who needs to use the larger rooms has to wait for one at my store, and those who do typically don't have an issue with waiting a few minutes. I think a lot of people tend to just buy the clothes, try them on at home, and return them if they don't fit anyway.

People need to learn that I cannot read their mind. So I do not know what they want. This one couple I was ringing up were complaining how I was bagging their stuff. More so of the woman complaining than both of them. She didn't say anything to me, absolutely nothing. She prefered to keep whining to her husband, than saying something so I could fix the problem. I didn't even realize she was talking about me until the near end of the transaction. She had 3 items left so I put them all in one plastic bag and she started screaming "No, no!!" After she said a bunch of personal insulting stuff about me. Learn to communicate please. I wouldn't found it in any way a problem to change how I bag just for you lol.

Last edited:
People need to learn that I cannot read their mind. So I do not know what they want. This one couple I was ringing up were complaining how I was bagging their stuff. More so of the woman complaining than both of them. She didn't say anything to me, absolutely nothing. She prefered to keep whining to her husband, than saying something so I could fix the problem. I didn't even realize she was talking about me until the near end of the transaction. She had 3 items left so I put them all in one plastic bag and she started screaming "No, no!!" After she said a bunch of personal insulting stuff about me. Learn to communicate please. I wouldn't found it in any way a problem to change how I bag just for you lol.
Annoys the crap out of me when people do this in pharmacy. We have 1 thing of bags to use, and it's better now that we only do 5 items or less, but they still persist. Yesterday, I had the audacity to put strawberries and a small bag of pre-sliced apples in a bag together (her rx was in a separate bag.) Lady asked for an extra bag & I gave her one, she took the apples out and put them in the other bag while shooting me daggers. Seriously, lady? Next time, use the SCO up front for your shit!:mad::rolleyes::mad:

Annoys the crap out of me when people do this in pharmacy. We have 1 thing of bags to use, and it's better now that we only do 5 items or less, but they still persist. Yesterday, I had the audacity to put strawberries and a small bag of pre-sliced apples in a bag together (her rx was in a separate bag.) Lady asked for an extra bag & I gave her one, she took the apples out and put them in the other bag while shooting me daggers. Seriously, lady? Next time, use the SCO up front for your shit!:mad::rolleyes::mad:

I am ashamed to admit that I'm one of those people who tells cashiers how to pack my bags. A couple years ago I was at a grocery store, where the meat is wrapped in that leaky cellophane, and the cashier put the ground beef and a head of lettuce in the same bag. Not long before that there had been an outbreak of e. coli or salmonella tied to vegetables; there had been cross contamination and the vegetables were served uncooked so the bacteria had hitched a ride. Knowing that made me really scared of eating that head of lettuce once it was in the bag with the leaky ground beef package. Since then I tell every cashier that I want my meat bagged separately. Most say "No problem" and are happy. Some say "I was going to do that anyway" with a look of annoyance. But some really shoot me daggers and mention that means there will be more bags like they think my concern of cross contamination is baseless. But I wouldn't feel the need to say bag it separately if I hadn't run across that one cashier that saw no issue with cross contamination.

The paper bagging is a real popper. I'm in an area with a plastic bag ban so bring your own else its 5cents per bag. We have signs prominently posted throughout the store on each level stating this but its always a shock. "What??? I have to pay for the bag??? I've lived here x years and NEVER pay for bags!!" yeah. Right.

Special bagging: I get not mixing meat veggies and dairy as it would violate Kosher or Halal. So, I glance at the cart and if I see these items segregated I ask if they wish their meat veggies and dairy kept separate. But if its not obvious then don't glare at me if I don't pick up on your little snowflake unique psycho quirk.

Sounds like a bazillion guests that have come through my lane. I'm generally good about asking what people want, but if we're in clusterfuck busy mode, I don't always remember.

I had someone start swearing at me and saying "You don't do it like that GOD! Let me do it for God sake."

o_O:eek:

Sir; 1. You bought 10 coffee mugs. I was going slower than normal because I didn't want them to get damaged. Excuse me for being careful. 2. You never even responded when I asked how or if you wanted them a certain way and no, "I don't care" and "Whatever." are not decent responses. 3. If you would have preferred to bag / arrange things how you wanted, you should've told me, I would've gladly rang up your items and handed them to you. Lord almighty some people.

Right now my big guest pet peeve are the liars.
Why can't people just be straight-forward?

This, this applies to both team members and customers. To everyone, really. Kind of late to the party to offer my opinion on this but god damnit, people really need to own up to themselves.

I kind of almost want to say to grow a pair if you can't be honest with someone, especially in a work place. I hate the "oh I might be busy let me see what I'm doing that day and maybe I can take your shift!" -waits until the night before- "sorry I cant take it going scuba diving!(random event.)" like PLEASE just tell me no. Every time someone tells me that, I already know it's a no. I've made sure I've been better at this, do I feel kind of like a dick? I do, do I hope I come off that way? Not ever. They asked me a straight question, I should give them a straight answer and not lead them on.

I feel bad when people fall for the old "lemme see what I'm doing ok" or the "I might be busy but Ill let you know" trick.

But, back on the topic of lying customers. I've had sooooo many customers get away with blatant lies on prices, promotions, and coupons it's unbelievable. Although, one lady who bullied me gave me like a 10 star review to my store lol... thanks, I guess I felt a bit better about it at the time, but doesn't change much. "The sign said buy 2 get one free!" and I'd check the promo via Price Inquiry and it'd say "buy 3 get one free" or half off or something and the guest goes "..noo... it SAYS..." and it's just like "come fUCKEN on man it says it RIGHT HERE."

I'm glad I've had lots of good customers realize they were wrong and accepted it and simply asked to not get the items, but the ones that still fight simply outweigh the good minority. The amount of compassion an average person shows a retail worker... or a customer service worker in general... is astonishingly low. We're not here to fuck with your money, to cheat you out of your money, nothing like that. We're there simply to check your items out and try to fix mistakes that might be real mistakes we made. Lying to us, trying to prove a point we've clearly established as your mistake, and blowing up over such a minor issue is insane.

I've never had anyone blow up on me... actually the first time I've ever heard someone blow up in my store was only a month or two ago and I've been in customer service for more than a year. We're a really nice, small town, but on the weekends is when everyone from neighboring cities and towns come in and ruin everything and all the good vibes. Really monday-tuesdays are really not that bad because the customers make my days go really good on those days. UNLESS I am running SCO then everyone's pissy and rightfully so(those things suck at my store) and everyone there is mostly having a bad day for some reason already. I've had multiple people smack the screens, the card readers, and make fists at screens... it's basically daily lol.

But point is, lying isn't confident, and lying is CHEATING. You may think you have it under control because it's YOUR lie, but in truth, if the person is smart they will know you are lying from the start. Everyone lies, just some do it less than others.

Sounds like a bazillion guests that have come through my lane. I'm generally good about asking what people want, but if we're in clusterfuck busy mode, I don't always remember.

I had someone start swearing at me and saying "You don't do it like that GOD! Let me do it for God sake."

o_O:eek:

Sir; 1. You bought 10 coffee mugs. I was going slower than normal because I didn't want them to get damaged. Excuse me for being careful. 2. You never even responded when I asked how or if you wanted them a certain way and no, "I don't care" and "Whatever." are not decent responses. 3. If you would have preferred to bag / arrange things how you wanted, you should've told me, I would've gladly rang up your items and handed them to you. Lord almighty some people.

A lot of people thank me for asking how to bag their stuff. I mean, I don't know why, it's appreciated, I just wanna bag their stuff correctly though to avoid exactly THIS. I've had customers just get bat-shit crazy over how I use to bag things. It's just something so petty, and back onto my whole post above; TELL US if we're doing something wrong. Don't sit there and boil until you blow. Be honest with us, we might hate you, but we'll do your bidding.

Last edited:
A lot of people thank me for asking how to bag their stuff. I mean, I don't know why, it's appreciated, I just wanna bag their stuff correctly though to avoid exactly THIS. I've had customers just get bat-shit crazy over how I use to bag things. It's just something so petty, and back onto my whole post above; TELL US if we're doing something wrong. Don't sit there and boil until you blow. Be honest with us, we might hate you, but we'll do your bidding.
Exactly. I remember I used to tell people. "It may take an extra minute, but I want to get it right, so you leave satisfied."

Don't get upset at me if the line is not moving as fast as you'd like. Self check out is literally always empty. It's always the people who have 5 things or less complaining too. I had one dude yell at me and he was just buying a soda....are you serious?

This woman had me scan 35 gift cards to pay, then realizes she has cartwheel. It wasn't a problem, but the computer is soo slow.

Don't get upset at me if the line is not moving as fast as you'd like. Self check out is literally always empty. It's always the people who have 5 things or less complaining too. I had one dude yell at me and he was just buying a soda....are you serious?

This woman had me scan 35 gift cards to pay, then realizes she has cartwheel. It wasn't a problem, but the computer is soo slow.
Honestly I would've sent them to GS if there were people behind her. That's not fair to the other guests.

The only one who can let them get away with it is us *or a pushover gstl/gsa/lod* if you don't shut it down they will be back and know where to find you

Yeah usually the GSTL/GSA give it to them anyways lol. The only times I've let them get away with it have literally been when I had a huge line and only 3 registers open and this girl really wanted a $5 giftcard and pulled the "well the label said xxx you should change it to match that" and I said "I can't." but well whatever lol. She went home and gave me a 10star review I guess, so. I don't know lmao.

Second time and last time was the same situation except at SCO and I was being really pressed to just do it and I had people scanning avocados and pressing "do not bag" then setting items down lol that was a bad day for me.

But you're right, I've been good all the other times and I was just having bad days and didn't want any more trouble those two times.. at least those are the only two times I can think of it. I haven't seen them back yet... I will never forget their faces, but they've probably forgotten mine. Just another day for them.

I feel like I've posted this at some point but god damn the people who want to open packages, especially EXPENSIVE ITEMS annoys the absolute crap out of me

"what?!!! why can't i open this??? how am i supposed to know what im buying?????"

1. when someone is going to buy an expensive electronic product, the smart thing would be to DO RESEARCH ON IT to know it's what you fucking want
2. THERE'S A DISPLAY RIGHT THERE. TOUCH IT. IT'S OK. IT'S OPENED JUST FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3. 99% of the time ya'll want to open it and not buy it, now the (security) tape is busted and the next interested person is gonna be like ....oh it looks like it's been opened/used/returned/etc
4. fuck off

I feel like I've posted this at some point but god damn the people who want to open packages, especially EXPENSIVE ITEMS annoys the absolute crap out of me

"what?!!! why can't i open this??? how am i supposed to know what im buying?????"

1. when someone is going to buy an expensive electronic product, the smart thing would be to DO RESEARCH ON IT to know it's what you fucking want
2. THERE'S A DISPLAY RIGHT THERE. TOUCH IT. IT'S OK. IT'S OPENED JUST FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3. 99% of the time ya'll want to open it and not buy it, now the (security) tape is busted and the next interested person is gonna be like ....oh it looks like it's been opened/used/returned/etc
4. fuck off

I feel like since someone ruined the package it has to be re-barcoded at a discount price with an "as is" sticker.

I really hope that's not the case. :eek:

I feel like since someone ruined the package it has to be re-barcoded at a discount price with an "as is" sticker.

I really hope that's not the case. :eek:
yeah, it usually ends up as "repackaged"

I tend to tell the guests that will happen if they open it and choose not to buy it

most are like whatever fine but then some are like "well im going to buy it anyways so its fine"

and one of two things happen here (technically just #2 now tho)

1. they actually have the gall to ask for an unopened one afterwards, i basically said fuck no and have since learned my lesson about being like ,,, ok fine about opening packages at all
2. i tell them then it shouldnt be a problem for you to pay first and then open it and if you dont like it after that return it right away

they still usually nag about it, but go through with it anyways

You know what ticks me off the guests that tear open the packages of UNDERWARE! The hang them all over the peg hooks. I mean really you don't know what size you ware! or what UNDERWARE looks like!

Literally there was a family on E1 for a while, longer then normal. They go over to E1 and E2 with there 4 kids, it's mother and dad. They end up spending 10-15 minutes there, and leave the floor FULL of merch. RIDICULOUS! I can understand maybe one thing or two things on the floor, but the aisle was covered in stuff. I wanted to cry of laughter

You know what ticks me off the guests that tear open the packages of UNDERWARE! The hang them all over the peg hooks. I mean really you don't know what size you ware! or what UNDERWARE looks like!

God I hate that too. And nearly all the underwear has those open spots so you can touch the cloth and know how it feels. There is zilch reason to open the packaging. Zilch reason to tear the packaging too, there's that flap that opens easily.

I was shopping after a shift and saw a package of underwear that looked like a bear had manhandled the top of the bag, took the top pair and then stuffed it back on the hook. Like, really?

Back