The Things Guests Do/Pet Peeves Thread

You know what ticks me off, the guest that was just in here with that screaming kid! He yelled and screamed the entire time they were in here but oh no he didn't bother his mother she was on her phone

I'm sure it has been mentioned already, but my pet peeve is when I'm doing backup cashier and I'm trying to get off the register and the guests don't seem to understand that when my light is off my register is closed. Happens every time I do guest first. They always get all snarky also when I tell them I'm closed.

One time I lost my composure when a guest said to me, "You need a sign." I responded, "I do have a sign, it's the giant light above my head". Things got quiet after that lol.

I'm sure it has been mentioned already, but my pet peeve is when I'm doing backup cashier and I'm trying to get off the register and the guests don't seem to understand that when my light is off my register is closed. Happens every time I do guest first. They always get all snarky also when I tell them I'm closed.

One time I lost my composure when a guest said to me, "You need a sign." I responded, "I do have a sign, it's the giant light above my head". Things got quiet after that lol.
i literally turn my light off 3-4 minutes before i want to go because of this. then i'll let like 1-2 more people through esp. if I think i can get an RC from one, and then as soon as I see mom with her giant cartful, i start telling people i'm closed. then it's kinda funny to see the person i'm helping realize they came to my lane when i was closed

My new pet peeve is people who ask where an item is and I take them over to it. We don't find it and they go "its okay". Then see me later and go "I found it" clearly not what they asked for so no way I could determine thats what they wanted. Why even ask me for help.

Most stores have a red "this register is closed sign" by the guest service desk/Kodak or somewhere. Whenever I back up and it slows down I ask my last guest to put it behind their stuff.

While the light being on and off is a good indicator there are cashier's who never turn their light on so I understand guess confusion. The sign kind of shuts them up

Most stores have a red "this register is closed sign" by the guest service desk/Kodak or somewhere. Whenever I back up and it slows down I ask my last guest to put it behind their stuff.

While the light being on and off is a good indicator there are cashier's who never turn their light on so I understand guess confusion. The sign kind of shuts them up
At my store we always turn on our lights.

I had no clue those existed, those would have been useful :rolleyes: I also think a useful sign would have been "no alcohol purchases in this lane" for the minors. Inconviences everyone when a simple transaction turns into a 10 minute wait for a GSTL

I had the opposite problem tonight - a guest asked if I was open when I was clearly standing behind my register, with my light on. I said, yup, sure am, kept my light on for y'all. He got really sarcastic and verbally attacked me saying that whenever he goes shopping it takes forever to get checked out and there's never enough cashiers.

It was dead and there were 5 of us on lanes when he walked up. How he got is mixed up with Walmart is beyond me. :rolleyes:

At my store we always turn on our lights.

Well to be fair you are a cashier but a lot of folks who backup either forget to turn off their light or intentionally don't so they can leave the front quicker.

also think a useful sign would have been "no alcohol purchases in this lane" for the minors.

Yeah it's tricky though because in my state and many others minors can still sell alcohol

Well to be fair you are a cashier but a lot of folks who backup either forget to turn off their light or intentionally don't so they can leave the front quicker.

Yeah it's tricky though because in my state and many others minors can still sell alcohol
Yes most backups don't turn their light on but honestly I don't blame them. At my store guests come up to you anyways.

I know this sounds petty but I hate it when they dump things on the belt as I'm grabbing other items and already have have bags set up... oh well

We have counters, no belts. When guests try to unload an entire cart of items in one gigantic pile on the small counter surface it drives me crazy. Shit starts leaning over and when it self scans and I have no idea exactly what just scanned, it makes me crazy. All it takes is me looking at the pile sideways for shit to start falling on the floor.

So of course I look at it sideways, shit falls, and they just stand there like dumb animals.

I'm starting to think that I don't really like people. I might have to go back to school because this retail experience has really turned me off to being a therapist.

We have counters, no belts. When guests try to unload an entire cart of items in one gigantic pile on the small counter surface it drives me crazy. Shit starts leaning over and when it self scans and I have no idea exactly what just scanned, it makes me crazy. All it takes is me looking at the pile sideways for shit to start falling on the floor.

So of course I look at it sideways, shit falls, and they just stand there like dumb animals.

I'm starting to think that I don't really like people. I might have to go back to school because this retail experience has really turned me off to being a therapist.
are you in a citytarget? how do you not have belts?

We have belts & a super T sister store has 'em but all the others have these little counters.

I've only been SF TM in my store for about a month so I'm not sure if this is a regular thing, but when I go to back up at register and it's calmed down and time for me to go, the GSA/LOD will turn my light off for me. Theu[They] then get in line behind the last person who walked up when the light is still on, and announce kindly to anyone that comes up after they arrive that the lane is closed. They usually don't get anyone walking up though, because they turn their back to me/the cashier and face any incoming customers. That usually gets the message across loud and clear.

I thought that was a pretty nice touch.

edit: To add that they also do this for cashiers who are scheduled for a break/meal or are about to be done with their shift.

Guests who have long winded conversation on the phone. "CanyoutellmeifyouhavethisbookshelfIsawonlineinstoreitsbrownand$179iwanttoputitonholdifyouhaveitwellitsaysyoudobutiwantedtocheckwhatdoyouneedtolookitup?" :eek:

I've only been SF TM in my store for about a month so I'm not sure if this is a regular thing, but when I go to back up at register and it's calmed down and time for me to go, the GSA/LOD will turn my light off for me. Theu[They] then get in line behind the last person who walked up when the light is still on, and announce kindly to anyone that comes up after they arrive that the lane is closed. They usually don't get anyone walking up though, because they turn their back to me/the cashier and face any incoming customers. That usually gets the message across loud and clear.

I thought that was a pretty nice touch.

edit: To add that they also do this for cashiers who are scheduled for a break/meal or are about to be done with their shift.

At my store too.

Guests who have long winded conversation on the phone. "CanyoutellmeifyouhavethisbookshelfIsawonlineinstoreitsbrownand$179iwanttoputitonholdifyouhaveitwellitsaysyoudobutiwantedtocheckwhatdoyouneedtolookitup?" :eek:

I call that verbal diarrhea. I sometimes wonder how those people manage to breathe. And they get equally snippy about you interrupting them to say they need to talk to someone else and about you letting them finish then telling them they need to talk to someone else because they don't want to say it all over again.

Try taking a new rx from someone who talks like that. I'm always asking them to repeat themselves because 9/10, I don't even have a pen!

Back