The Things Guests Do/Pet Peeves Thread

Same, except I use Alavert instead of Claritin. Less expensive and my body likes it better.

As far as effect on the body, medicines are like that, YMMV. But as far as cost, I don't think I've bought name brand anything in over a decade. I just check the back of the box to make sure the active ingredient(s) is the same thing at the same dosage and buy the generic. I get a laugh at the idiots buying Zzzquil since name brand Benadryl is about a dollar cheaper for same number of pills and generic Benadryl is even cheaper. Target has the same price between the two boxes, but a lot of drug stores like CVS price the generic Zzzquil more expensive than the generic Benadryl.

The most updated training materials are from 2013, which is likely why you weren’t taught about price matching — back then cashiers couldn’t price match. The permissions have since been updated, so personally whenever I’m training new cashiers I like to make sure they know how to do it.
I can say that my store no longer has iPads (we do everything via myDevices now), so there’s really no reason that price matches would ever have to be done exclusively at Guest Service.
I think that my store doesn't have iPads anymore either (not sure since I am not Guest Service trained), but I think we price match with myDevices as well. For example, I have a guest who wishes to price match baby formula, but they won't even show an actual competitor on their phone, only a Google search of the baby formula showing a lower price. I guess I could call over a team member with a myDevice to verify that, but I am not sure if a myDevice can check the price of a Google search (I have never used a myDevice before). When I tried to direct the guest to Guest Services, they became extremely annoyed and angry about having to wait in line again.
Ironically, I wonder if that guest can understand instructions in English, similar to the guest that Jenna120 encountered in her story. I told them that in the future, they would need to price match at Guest Services, but they either ignored me or felt that they didn't have to listen to me to get what they wanted (probably the latter).

Based on what GS has told me over the walkie when guests on the floor ask about price matching, it's simple and yet I wouldn't trust my own daughter to do it right, along with half my coworkers. I can see why some stores limit it to GS instead of every cashier. Car seats are a biggie in softlines, and it seems every time someone shows me a competitor's price on their phone the name of the car seat is identical. To my eyes, there's usually small visual differences between the picture and the floor model, but nothing major. The guest and I will dig into the details until we finally find the UPC, and then we know why there's an apparent $40 difference in price.

I have the stubbornness to keep clicking through sub-sections until I find a UPC and I'm really good at number recognition. I wouldn't bet that $40 difference in what turned out to be two different products on someone who can be intimidated into just agreeing with a price match since it takes too long to find the UPC and the guest is impatient, or on someone who isn't careful to verify accuracy when comparing two sets of numbers, or on someone (like some of the guests that call, augh) that thinks you can ignore the leading zero when referring to the UPC.

Based on what GS has told me over the walkie when guests on the floor ask about price matching, it's simple and yet I wouldn't trust my own daughter to do it right, along with half my coworkers. I can see why some stores limit it to GS instead of every cashier. Car seats are a biggie in softlines, and it seems every time someone shows me a competitor's price on their phone the name of the car seat is identical. To my eyes, there's usually small visual differences between the picture and the floor model, but nothing major. The guest and I will dig into the details until we finally find the UPC, and then we know why there's an apparent $40 difference in price.

I have the stubbornness to keep clicking through sub-sections until I find a UPC and I'm really good at number recognition. I wouldn't bet that $40 difference in what turned out to be two different products on someone who can be intimidated into just agreeing with a price match since it takes too long to find the UPC and the guest is impatient, or on someone who isn't careful to verify accuracy when comparing two sets of numbers, or on someone (like some of the guests that call, augh) that thinks you can ignore the leading zero when referring to the UPC.
At GS we don’t have to worry about finding the UPC. on your zebra, open the price match app, scan the item, and then tap the competitor. It’ll pull up their site with the exact product.

I know we have it now, though I don't get asked enough to try and learn it. But I also get phone questions so I do have to know the old fashioned way when telling guests the restrictions. But what happens when it is an item with the same name? Obviously the zebra will pull up the right item, but from the guest's perspective they won't understand why the two competitor's pages don't agree.

I think that my store doesn't have iPads anymore either (not sure since I am not Guest Service trained), but I think we price match with myDevices as well. For example, I have a guest who wishes to price match baby formula, but they won't even show an actual competitor on their phone, only a Google search of the baby formula showing a lower price. I guess I could call over a team member with a myDevice to verify that, but I am not sure if a myDevice can check the price of a Google search (I have never used a myDevice before). When I tried to direct the guest to Guest Services, they became extremely annoyed and angry about having to wait in line again.
Ironically, I wonder if that guest can understand instructions in English, similar to the guest that Jenna120 encountered in her story. I told them that in the future, they would need to price match at Guest Services, but they either ignored me or felt that they didn't have to listen to me to get what they wanted (probably the latter).
We don't price match a google search. We can price match an approved store and those are on the My Device in the price match app

I know we have it now, though I don't get asked enough to try and learn it. But I also get phone questions so I do have to know the old fashioned way when telling guests the restrictions. But what happens when it is an item with the same name? Obviously the zebra will pull up the right item, but from the guest's perspective they won't understand why the two competitor's pages don't agree.
When in doubt just radio or forward the call to a GSTM. I'd rather be bothered with 100 calls then have to explain to a guest another ™ was wrong.

I don't even look at what the guest has pulled up unless there's a descepency.

Loratadine is also the active ingredient in Alavert.
Diphenydramine is in Benadryl (US) as well as many sleep aids (taking advantage of the fact that the drug causes somnolence).
Cetirizine is the active ingredient in Zyrtec.

Can you tell I've had to take a few of these?? LOL

I've never taken Allegra or Xyzal, so I don't know whats in those offhand.
Allegra is fexofenadine and xyzal is levo-cetirizine.

I just say “this thingie pulls up the exact UPC of the item so the one you’re looking at is a different thing even though it might say the same name”

Pet Peeve: when someone comes up to guest service and says “I want to price match this.” And I’m like “cool, where to?” And they’re like “idk. Just if you can find it somewhere cheaper then I want that price.” Like, bitch.... no. I’m not gonna sit here and pull up like 20 websites comparing every single price for you. If you want the courtesy of us offering a cheaper price you have to do the work for it. I got shit to do

When in doubt just radio or forward the call to a GSTM. I'd rather be bothered with 100 calls then have to explain to a guest another ™ was wrong.

I don't even look at what the guest has pulled up unless there's a descepency.

I didn't phrase well. How do you explain to the guest in a way that is understood that the apparently identical item isn't identical, if you aren't comparing the UPCs so they can see for themselves the items are not the same? Just a quick scan that brings up a competitor's page on the zebra does nothing for reassuring the guest that the item on the zebra isn't the same name item on their phone.

Pet Peeve: when someone comes up to guest service and says “I want to price match this.” And I’m like “cool, where to?” And they’re like “idk. Just if you can find it somewhere cheaper then I want that price.” Like, bitch.... no. I’m not gonna sit here and pull up like 20 websites comparing every single price for you. If you want the courtesy of us offering a cheaper price you have to do the work for it. I got shit to do

I did have a guest who wanted to price match to Best Buy, but they were all out of stock. It was slow so I found it on Amazon for cheaper and price matched it. But he was also polite, so there’s that lol

I didn't phrase well. How do you explain to the guest in a way that is understood that the apparently identical item isn't identical, if you aren't comparing the UPCs so they can see for themselves the items are not the same? Just a quick scan that brings up a competitor's page on the zebra does nothing for reassuring the guest that the item on the zebra isn't the same name item on their phone.
And this is the reason why price matching should be done at GS. This can end up taking a while at the CL.

And this is the reason why price matching should be done at GS. This can end up taking a while at the CL.
Total agreement here, I've seen how long it takes on the floor when there isn't anyone standing behind the guest getting impatient and the guest isn't done and wanting to leave as quickly as possible. I just don't see how someone could use a zebra to scan a barcode, not even look at what the guest is seeing, and instill confidence in the guest that the equipment is working correctly and comparing the right item the guest is interested in.

I’ve never had that issue. It’s always been ether slightly different OR a marketplace item (not shipped and sold by amazon, therefore ineligible)

I tried to post two links, one Target and one Amazon, that to the average person's eye looked the same, even down to identical pictures, but weren't. When the post was made, it showed the Target hyperlink but not the Amazon one.

Back