The Things Guests Do/Pet Peeves Thread

It was shipped and sold by Amazon. The difference was a single word.

I can't say which of the links I used since there's only 10 or so nearly alike, but it was Graco SnugRide car seats. It may have been click connect vs not having that in the name or snug lock vs not having that in the name, but it was still so close that confusion is a near certainty.

Despite knowing how tricky alike car seats are, there have been a lot of times I've looked at a guest's phone and it really does look the same. Because I compare UPCs the guest sees why it's not the same as I'm reading the number. Doing that, I've never had a guest not immediately accept price matching isn't possible.

It was shipped and sold by Amazon. The difference was a single word.

I can't say which of the links I used since there's only 10 or so nearly alike, but it was Graco SnugRide car seats. It may have been click connect vs not having that in the name or snug lock vs not having that in the name, but it was still so close that confusion is a near certainty.

Despite knowing how tricky alike car seats are, there have been a lot of times I've looked at a guest's phone and it really does look the same. Because I compare UPCs the guest sees why it's not the same as I'm reading the number. Doing that, I've never had a guest not immediately accept price matching isn't possible.
So you just say oh I’m sorry this is the click connect model, this one isn’t. I can check to see if we sell the click connect model, or look and see the the price of the non click model.

So you just say oh I’m sorry this is the click connect model, this one isn’t. I can check to see if we sell the click connect model, or look and see the the price of the non click model.
I think you are deliberately not understanding. It's not overt differences. It's minor differences in the details. Simply scanning a box with a zebra and saying "I'm not pulling up the price you have, so no price match" is going to cause confusion and could result in guests feeling it was a ploy to avoid price matching. If I went into a store and asked about an item that looked like the right one to me and an employee used a company computer for price matching and ignored what was on my phone, I'd be certain it was a scam. Me walking them through pulling up the UPC and comparing against the barcode involves the guests and they are left disappointed but satisfied that it was properly compared.

I think you are deliberately not understanding. It's not overt differences. It's minor differences in the details. Simply scanning a box with a zebra and saying "I'm not pulling up the price you have, so no price match" is going to cause confusion and could result in guests feeling it was a ploy to avoid price matching. If I went into a store and asked about an item that looked like the right one to me and an employee used a company computer for price matching and ignored what was on my phone, I'd be certain it was a scam. Me walking them through pulling up the UPC and comparing against the barcode involves the guests and they are left disappointed but satisfied that it was properly compared.
First of all: I am not purposefully not understanding— I think I just am missing something. If there is a difference in both the name and UPC that means it’s a different model, which shouldn’t be too difficult to explain or possibly resolve if that model is in stock.

Total agreement here, I've seen how long it takes on the floor when there isn't anyone standing behind the guest getting impatient and the guest isn't done and wanting to leave as quickly as possible. I just don't see how someone could use a zebra to scan a barcode, not even look at what the guest is seeing, and instill confidence in the guest that the equipment is working correctly and comparing the right item the guest is interested in.
Not to mention the guests that will argue with you that they are the same items. No.....the one you want to purchase is black and the one online is a different color.

Plus sometimes the online item is a specific UPC made for only that retailer because that retailer ordered a buttload and got a discount. It might only be different cosmetically, or it might have lower quality parts.

Total agreement here, I've seen how long it takes on the floor when there isn't anyone standing behind the guest getting impatient and the guest isn't done and wanting to leave as quickly as possible. I just don't see how someone could use a zebra to scan a barcode, not even look at what the guest is seeing, and instill confidence in the guest that the equipment is working correctly and comparing the right item the guest is interested in.
I agree completely, although I have price-matched an item for a small amount, like $1 less on a competitor's site at the register. Considering that guests argue about prices on signs and are usually adamant that they are right, and will even challenge a GSTL who comes over, I would think that price-matching should be handled only at guest services.

Car seats will often have three different versions of the exact same seat, with different levels of foam & decorations on the covers, that can result in ridiculous price differences. So, the Evenflo Triumph will have a version with basic foam, a bit more foam, and memory foam, and the only difference is the price and the product details (and the UPC, obviously). Trusting pictures, particularly on Amazon, is unreliable as they may have the same patterns across the three styles (and it's pretty much impossible to tell which patterns might be limited to which styles) and/or the person responsible for picking a photo for the website doesn't get the difference either and just picks something that looks right.

First of all: I am not purposefully not understanding— I think I just am missing something. If there is a difference in both the name and UPC that means it’s a different model, which shouldn’t be too difficult to explain or possibly resolve if that model is in stock.

Let's see if this example explains it. You want to buy some crackers. You want to buy (made up name similar to car seat issues) Crazy Cracker's Italian Cheddar flavor. You think you find it. Crazy Cracker's Italian Cheddar flavor, with "and parmesan" written in half size print under the words "Italian Cheddar". Other than that, the boxes are identical. On one hand easy to see, on the other hand, not obvious that it's actually a completely separate flavor. You ask to price match for a box of crackers, since the store down the road has the box $2 cheaper. Who are you going to believe gave you accurate information on whether it could be price matched? The person who doesn't look at the store listing on your phone of the Italian Cheddar flavor, simply scans it with his store equipment and says it's not the same and therefore can't be price matched? Or someone who says the UPC must match, helps you pull up the UPC on your phone, and then compares that to the barcode so you see with your own eyes that there's two Italian Cheddars?

The price match app on the myDevice is nice... when the browser actually works. At my store, if the guest has it pulled up on their phone and it looks like what they're buying, it's okay to go ahead and price match it then and there at the checklanes. I guess this is really a case of all stores not being the same, because even when I was just a cashier, I was trained on how to do price matches.

The price match app on the myDevice is nice... when the browser actually works. At my store, if the guest has it pulled up on their phone and it looks like what they're buying, it's okay to go ahead and price match it then and there at the checklanes. I guess this is really a case of all stores not being the same, because even when I was just a cashier, I was trained on how to do price matches.
When it doesn’t work I use my phone.

Also PSA we NO LONGER PRICE MATCH TOYS OR BABYS R US. our site has been updated to reflect

Jumping tracks, is anyone else so annoyed by the men who are bra shopping as to want to ban them from the intimate section? I swear, if I hear one more time "But this is not strapless!" when they want help finding a strapless bra for their sweetie and I hand them one, I'm going to strangle the guy with the removable bra straps. I think it's been 3 or 4 times since the beginning of the year.

Jumping tracks, is anyone else so annoyed by the men who are bra shopping as to want to ban them from the intimate section? I swear, if I hear one more time "But this is not strapless!" when they want help finding a strapless bra for their sweetie and I hand them one, I'm going to strangle the guy with the removable bra straps. I think it's been 3 or 4 times since the beginning of the year.

We have a weird dude that comes in, finds the female associate closest to but not in the lingerie, and asks where the lingerie is from literally 5 feet away.

We have a weird dude that comes in, finds the female associate closest to but not in the lingerie, and asks where the lingerie is from literally 5 feet away.
That's creepy, yuck.

These guys though, I think they are genuine. I don't know if they are shopping for their sweetie or if they are cross-dressers, and I'm not paid well enough to care either way, but they can't seem to figure out that some bras have removable straps, even when I hand one to them that has the tag that says "Removable straps" still attached. Dealing with some weird pain flare-ups, I can't always wiggle the straps loose to prove it to them.

“I don’t have a receipt but I have my card”
“Okay go ahead and insert it”
*swipes* *card reader makes noise*
“Oh is it a chip”
YES THATS WHY I TOLD YOU TO INSERT IT NOT SWIPE!!!!!!!
Wow you’re lucky at my store they just shove the card in my face like ah yes give me one sec to transfer the number from my mind to the computer

Guests who just... walk away from you as soon as you tell them you'll look something up for them. Does this happen to anyone else or am I just cursed?? It's happened to me like half the times I've helped guests (which, to be fair, isn't a ton b/c I'm a backroom TM so I'm hardly ever on the sales floor but STILL)

A guest will ask me if we have xyz items and I'll tell them "I'm not sure, I'll look it up for you" or "Yes we have that, let me find the location for you" (I know where everything is in the back but when a guest asks where something is on the sales floor I always have to look it up bc I never know beyond "it's somewhere in paper lol good luck" o_O) and start searching it on my Zebra and they just walk away to keep looking for it on their own. Like, if you wait 2 seconds, I can give you the exact location where you can find what you're looking for, but I'm not about to chase you down! GET BACK HERE AND LET ME HELP YOU!

Guest who facetime or put call on speaker phone. Do you really need everyone in Target to know you have a yeast infection.
And this is why I cringe when a woman comes out and models a swimsuit to family/friends and she's clearly not keeping her panties on. #1 I don't want to touch that. #2 Honey, if you're not wearing your panties, it's a safe bet that at least one of the 30+ women who tried it on before you didn't either, and you could be rubbing her/their yeast infection or STD germs against your bare vaginal opening.

TTOG: thanks for complaining to my GSA because I didn't fold the clothes you clumped together on the belt, when you had upwards of twenty articles of clothing. Thankfully, the GSA knew better than to take your claim that I was "rude" at face value.

If another guest hands me 10 shirts all on hangers at once and won’t let me put them down anywhere I’m gonna scream. What am I supposed to do with these then? Sure, I can scan them, barely, then what? How do you expect them to get off the hanger and folded from my hand into the bag using only one hand? How am I supposed to even keep the bag open? What the fuck? Seriously god I get so fucking angry when people do this. These are $12.99 each its not that serious. And if something gets on them (which won’t happen because there’s nothing on the belt), so what? I gauarantee that shirt has been tried on by a sweaty person that hasn’t showered, thrown on the floor, stepped on, rolled over by a cart, etc. Just wash it. You should be washing clothes before you wear them for those reasons anyways. If god forbid some condensation from cold food gets on them, guess what? It’ll wash off :rolleyes:

Huge ass shoutout to people who take all their clothes off the hangers and fold them with the tags sticking out while they’re waiting in line so all I have to do is scan them. These people are gonna go far in life, they know how to get shit done. To people that take them off the hangers and fold them but fold the tag into the shirt so I have to unfold and refold everything, I appreciate it, you’ll get there soon.

If another guest hands me 10 shirts all on hangers at once and won’t let me put them down anywhere I’m gonna scream. What am I supposed to do with these then? Sure, I can scan them, barely, then what? How do you expect them to get off the hanger and folded from my hand into the bag using only one hand? How am I supposed to even keep the bag open? What the fuck? Seriously god I get so fucking angry when people do this. These are $12.99 each its not that serious. And if something gets on them (which won’t happen because there’s nothing on the belt), so what? I gauarantee that shirt has been tried on by a sweaty person that hasn’t showered, thrown on the floor, stepped on, rolled over by a cart, etc. Just wash it. You should be washing clothes before you wear them for those reasons anyways. If god forbid some condensation from cold food gets on them, guess what? It’ll wash off :rolleyes:

Yes, this is all true, and I'm glad I've never had to deal with such idiocy when checking people out. Maybe say that in order to scan them properly you need them off the hanger, and you need to either put the whole group down or perhaps they could hand you the items one at a time?

Huge ass shoutout to people who take all their clothes off the hangers and fold them with the tags sticking out while they’re waiting in line so all I have to do is scan them. These people are gonna go far in life, they know how to get shit done. To people that take them off the hangers and fold them but fold the tag into the shirt so I have to unfold and refold everything, I appreciate it, you’ll get there soon.

Whoa. You don't unfold items if they are folded with the tags out? How many small items are tucked inside getting the five finger discount because the clothing is undisturbed?

Back