The Things Guests Do/Pet Peeves Thread

Then let them stand in the line that's 3-7 deep because there's only 1 cashier scheduled
They do this at pharmacy. They’ll stand in line, bitch about the wait, then bitch again when we ask them to go to SCO because we have more people behind them (that are actual pharmacy customers.)

They do this at pharmacy. They’ll stand in line, bitch about the wait, then bitch again when we ask them to go to SCO because we have more people behind them (that are actual pharmacy customers.)

"I know I don't have any returns but I'm just gonna check out here because the line is long over there"
me: sorry, there's guests ahead of you in line. looks like there's a few self checkouts available!
guest: "UGH I DON'T USE SELF CHECKOUT!!!!" and he stomps away.

"I know I don't have any returns but I'm just gonna check out here because the line is long over there"
me: sorry, there's guests ahead of you in line. looks like there's a few self checkouts available!
guest: "UGH I DON'T USE SELF CHECKOUT!!!!" and he stomps away.
I had one guy tell me he doesn’t use them because he’s “not a Target employee.” I said, “neither am I, I work for CVS. If you don’t want to use the SCO, there are Target employees up front who would be happy to ring out your Target items!” Guy had a basket full of crap too, including wine and alcohol, which I couldn’t ring out anyway! He called me a liar and said he “rings alcohol out at pharmacy all the time.” I told him it could ONLY be rung out at the front registers and I’d be happy to call the LOD over to confirm that was Target’s alcohol policy if he didn’t believe me. He went up front :cool:

It’s amazing how many people “ring out alcohol at pharmacy ALL.THE.TIME!” I’m the ONLY person who WON’T ring it out for them:rolleyes:

When I was helping ring out at pharmacy (back when they were Target-owned), we had a lady try to buy some beer.
I told her that we couldn't ring that up, that she'd have to go to the front lanes.
"Okay, I'll ring those up on my way out."
Yeh, right; I called AP on the walkie & went to channel 4.
She receipt-checked the lady on her way out & surprise, surprise!
She hadn't paid.
"But she rang me up! She didn't TELL me that she didn't charge me for the beer!"
She left the beer.

Last edited:
1.I can't find it. Talk to me in a demeaning way when you can't find what you're looking for as if I personally set the aisles and decide where items go. For example this one lady was with her child he may have been 10 years old and I asked her if she needed help finding something. She responds with dramatic pause in between each word "yeah, where are the ice cream cones? with the oddest most B like look on her face. I gave her a little dramatic pause back and mind you I'm usually never mean to guests even on their worst days but this one struck a cord with me. It was almost like she was Captain Kirk from Star Trek. What an amazing role model she is for her child to down talk people who asked you if you needed help. I'm sure her child will have respect for people of all different kinds of professions. Yes, I actually do try to go out of my way for guests and I ask 85-90% of the people how there day is and or if they need help.

2. Them item is out. This is a huge problem at my store with distilled water and purified water from the market pantry brand. The vendor/distribution center associated with our gallons of water is honestly the worst. We have so much demand and little supply, so much so that the water will come and be gone within a day or two and not seen again anywhere from 1-5 days. One lady personally made it her day to complain to me about how she's been here 3 days in a row hoping to get water or find certain other products that we never have. She had me talk to her for 10 minutes and she literally kept going on and on about how she shops less and less at target because of this. Mind you again I told her if you'd like to make a complaint regarding items that we don't regularly have in stock or don't get regular orders for I'd bring over the team lead for consumables or the supervisor at the time. I am just a consumables team member I do not personally make orders or decide what and when we stock. Although I had been given authorization to order from oberweise once when our TL was out still I don't literally have the power to assist you. And aside from the market pantry items she wanted I don't know the demand for those products. I'd have to go scan them and see how the sales have gone over the last couple months. Regardless this lady made it her mission to personally inform me that she has to go to multiple stores because not one store has all of what she needs. She needs to go to meijer to get this, walmart to get that, and jewel to get those. And target to get it.

3. We used to carry the item but we don't. And people get so irritated when I tell them we don't carry the product. You used to carry it I just got it recently!!!!!!!!!! Okay did you find it here? Yes!!!!!! When was the last time you saw it here? I don't know 2 to 4 months ago!??!?!? Not to be rude sir,ma'am but a lot of products rotate in and out of the store regularly. Unless it's a major name brand and even then sometimes their products are removed. The system says all of the stores are out of stock which is a good indication we don't carry it and or we may sell it at other stores; however, my device is telling me that there is no information regarding which stores have it or whether or not they actually have it. So, unfortunately with that said I believe target has stopped carrying that particular product. Though, I see we have a product that is like it could I recommend or show you the location of that said product? NO!!!!! I'll just go to Jewel UGH.!!!! Okay have a nice day.

4. When is it coming back in stock. The zebras don't always inform us on delivery dates and or whether or not items are on the way although most of the time they do. So, I will let them know that unfortunately we don't have any in the back but we do have a set delivery for this particular date or if you don't mind traveling 5 minutes down the road if the product is that important to you our other location has a large quantity of this product. UGH NO I'll just come back when it it coming! The delivery date appears to be set for 2 days for now but mind you it may not get on the floor until the day after or a couple days after depending on whether or not the delivery makes it on time and or other circumstances. Trucks at my store are not always consistent for example FTC didn't come last night, so that's a large variety of products that should have had came but did not. Vehicles break down, people have medical emergencies, accidents happen. I cannot personal guarantee the product will be here but I can give you a window in which I believe we could fulfill your request. Likewise again if the product is that important there are 5 other targets in a 10 mile radius that carry the product. We also carry it online!

When they come to return something that they bought online, and instead of bringing the packing slip they print out their order confirmation email and bring that. I appreciate they tried but what did they think that would do. And when you tell them you can’t do anything with that they go all ballistic. Like you were sent a packing slip explicitly for this reason. What did you do with that. Why would you throw it away

When guests don't listen to your questions and act like you're stupid. Had a guest the other day looking for hangers. She said she wanted black and I asked what kind (e.g. plastic, wooden, felt). Proceeded to get very huffy with me, look at her husband, and repeated "BLACK!". Tried to ask her one more time before giving up and telling her we were out. I don't put up with that mess.

4. When is it coming back in stock. The zebras don't always inform us on delivery dates and or whether or not items are on the way although most of the time they do. So, I will let them know that unfortunately we don't have any in the back but we do have a set delivery for this particular date or if you don't mind traveling 5 minutes down the road if the product is that important to you our other location has a large quantity of this product. UGH NO I'll just come back when it it coming! The delivery date appears to be set for 2 days for now but mind you it may not get on the floor until the day after or a couple days after depending on whether or not the delivery makes it on time and or other circumstances. Trucks at my store are not always consistent for example FTC didn't come last night, so that's a large variety of products that should have had came but did not. Vehicles break down, people have medical emergencies, accidents happen. I cannot personal guarantee the product will be here but I can give you a window in which I believe we could fulfill your request. Likewise again if the product is that important there are 5 other targets in a 10 mile radius that carry the product. We also carry it online!
We are told to not give a delivery date for the reasons you listed. If people are told it is scheduled for delivery on X date, they will go ballistic if it isn't there on the floor on that date. I tell people that we never know what is going to arrive on the truck and to call and see if it's available before coming in. When someone is in the store rather than on the phone, and if they are nice, I will write down the dpci for them and tell them to give that number to whoever answers the phone when they call.

Last edited:
1.I can't find it. Talk to me in a demeaning way when you can't find what you're looking for as if I personally set the aisles and decide where items go. For example this one lady was with her child he may have been 10 years old and I asked her if she needed help finding something. She responds with dramatic pause in between each word "yeah, where are the ice cream cones? with the oddest most B like look on her face. I gave her a little dramatic pause back and mind you I'm usually never mean to guests even on their worst days but this one struck a cord with me. It was almost like she was Captain Kirk from Star Trek. What an amazing role model she is for her child to down talk people who asked you if you needed help. I'm sure her child will have respect for people of all different kinds of professions. Yes, I actually do try to go out of my way for guests and I ask 85-90% of the people how there day is and or if they need help.

2. Them item is out. This is a huge problem at my store with distilled water and purified water from the market pantry brand. The vendor/distribution center associated with our gallons of water is honestly the worst. We have so much demand and little supply, so much so that the water will come and be gone within a day or two and not seen again anywhere from 1-5 days. One lady personally made it her day to complain to me about how she's been here 3 days in a row hoping to get water or find certain other products that we never have. She had me talk to her for 10 minutes and she literally kept going on and on about how she shops less and less at target because of this. Mind you again I told her if you'd like to make a complaint regarding items that we don't regularly have in stock or don't get regular orders for I'd bring over the team lead for consumables or the supervisor at the time. I am just a consumables team member I do not personally make orders or decide what and when we stock. Although I had been given authorization to order from oberweise once when our TL was out still I don't literally have the power to assist you. And aside from the market pantry items she wanted I don't know the demand for those products. I'd have to go scan them and see how the sales have gone over the last couple months. Regardless this lady made it her mission to personally inform me that she has to go to multiple stores because not one store has all of what she needs. She needs to go to meijer to get this, walmart to get that, and jewel to get those. And target to get it.

3. We used to carry the item but we don't. And people get so irritated when I tell them we don't carry the product. You used to carry it I just got it recently!!!!!!!!!! Okay did you find it here? Yes!!!!!! When was the last time you saw it here? I don't know 2 to 4 months ago!??!?!? Not to be rude sir,ma'am but a lot of products rotate in and out of the store regularly. Unless it's a major name brand and even then sometimes their products are removed. The system says all of the stores are out of stock which is a good indication we don't carry it and or we may sell it at other stores; however, my device is telling me that there is no information regarding which stores have it or whether or not they actually have it. So, unfortunately with that said I believe target has stopped carrying that particular product. Though, I see we have a product that is like it could I recommend or show you the location of that said product? NO!!!!! I'll just go to Jewel UGH.!!!! Okay have a nice day.

Nice I'm not the only Chicago area person on here.

I appreciate they tried but what did they think that would do. And when you tell them you can’t do anything with that they go all ballistic. Like you were sent a packing slip explicitly for this reason. What did you do with that. Why would you throw it away

Most companies I order from don't even send packing slips anymore and if you're returning in-store the order confirmation number is all they need, so if someone needs to bring the packing slip in that's Target's fail, not the guest's. IMO.

Most companies I order from don't even send packing slips anymore and if you're returning in-store the order confirmation number is all they need, so if someone needs to bring the packing slip in that's Target's fail, not the guest's. IMO.
The real solution is just making the order number and release number the same.

I hate when I’m up on the step stool setting the signing and a guest thrusts their phone towards me asking if we have this product.

Then won’t step back so I can get down and actually help them.

Do you want my help or not psycho?

Today I was in baby hardlines and a guest had a itty bitty demon spawn that had apparently sneezed and had a huge amount of snot on his face. She asked where the tissues were, I hadn't seen the demon spawn yet, and I told her they were in the opposite corner of the store. She pointed out the baby's face and I suggested a package of Boogie Wipes. I figured that taking those up front and paying for them would be faster than going all the way to the tissue aisle and then back to the registers. Bitch popped open the top and was about to pull out the security seal when I said "You have to pay for those first." She said "That's too much trouble. Where's the restrooms?" I told her they were up front near the registers and she left. TPS just happened to walk by, I told him what happened and I think he watched her to make sure she didn't use something else to wipe the kid's face on the way up.

Today I was in baby hardlines and a guest had a itty bitty demon spawn that had apparently sneezed and had a huge amount of snot on his face. She asked where the tissues were, I hadn't seen the demon spawn yet, and I told her they were in the opposite corner of the store. She pointed out the baby's face and I suggested a package of Boogie Wipes. I figured that taking those up front and paying for them would be faster than going all the way to the tissue aisle and then back to the registers. Bitch popped open the top and was about to pull out the security seal when I said "You have to pay for those first." She said "That's too much trouble. Where's the restrooms?" I told her they were up front near the registers and she left. TPS just happened to walk by, I told him what happened and I think he watched her to make sure she didn't use something else to wipe the kid's face on the way up.

Raised by wolves.

(but I'm beginning to think wolves have more class)

Does she really have to pay for them first though? It happens to me all the time where parents grab a snack for their kids and let them eat it in the store and then give me the package when they check out. It doesn’t seem like too big of a deal to me, and, giving that circumstance, she probably could have opened them and used them and payed with everything else later.

Does she really have to pay for them first though? It happens to me all the time where parents grab a snack for their kids and let them eat it in the store and then give me the package when they check out. It doesn’t seem like too big of a deal to me, and, giving that circumstance, she probably could have opened them and used them and payed with everything else later.

But there are also the people who will take the one out and leave the package on a shelf somewhere. I've had someone ask where the wet wipes were so that they could only take a few out to clean their cart handle.

But there are also the people who will take the one out and leave the package on a shelf somewhere. I've had someone ask where the wet wipes were so that they could only take a few out to clean their cart handle.
Damn, do those people not know about the cart wipes that we have for free...?

That was my concern, that she'd use them and either put them down and (if asked) say I told her she could use them, or she'd walk off with them and we'd find them somewhere else since she had gotten what she needed from them.

This isn't as much of a problem at Target as it was at my last job, but shitheads who put a refrigerated/frozen item in their basket and then change their mind and drop it on a random shelf to thaw and get ruined. There was a horrifying stench on one of the grocery aisles that we couldn't pinpoint for a few days until someone finally found the source...a couple packs of ground turkey that someone had thrown behind a Coke endcap along with a bag of socks and their shopping list. Disgusting.

Our POG team found an ancient package of cheese under a basedeck once. Expired in 2012.

Back