The Things Guests Do/Pet Peeves Thread

"I can't hear what you are saying, will you please speak louder"? People suck.
I tell you, it doesn't work. People either are playing a cruel game or just don't want to meet you halfway. Your ears work like there's cottonballs in your ear canals, the world will go out of its way to keep you from hearing a damned phrase.

Having phone problems now, I don't know the industry so I can't guess what words are being said between the words I can make out, people pissed off when I repeat back wrong or ask for phonetic spelling of everything. Ffs people, help me help you by using your big kid voice.

To the above: because they're sloppy assholes. If they don't speak up and if you can't hear them do your best to just avoid them and slither away, move a few aisles away and zone some shit. Deal with passive aggressiveness with passive aggressiveness.

This is so perfect and I do it far more often these days. Taking forever to choose a tube of toothpaste and all I have left to push is in the oral care aisle? Fine, I'll go zone some men's shave products. Ug. Some days, I feel like it takes me so much longer to push my truck.
The guests don't care. A couple of weeks ago I was pushing some Mens graphic t shirts when I was swarmed on both sides by guests. I was so frustrated I said out loud oh my GOD seriously? - low but audible lol, and got the hell out of there. Went and did something else until they all left.

A few days ago I was going to go through Mens for a last quick zone before leaving and there was a dude with no mask roaming all over the area - well, guess I will be leaving now without touching up the jeans, byeeee.

Tweens who come up with their mom & mumble their order to her before mom says "Tell HER what you want!" so they'll mutter it without even looking at me.
I then play 'twenty questions', "Did you want whipped cream? Is that hot or iced? What size? The name for the order?" etc, all but badgering them into having to communicate.
These are the same kids who yell & shriek at each other across aisles or yell at each other from bathroom stalls so it ain't a volume problem.
As a parent I used to make my kids, do their own orders so they learned how to speak to people and be polite. On the one hand, I’m glad I did because my kids are pretty polite but on the other hand, now that I’m on the other side, I can see how frustrating it is. Sorry!

This is so perfect and I do it far more often these days. Taking forever to choose a tube of toothpaste and all I have left to push is in the oral care aisle? Fine, I'll go zone some men's shave products. Ug. Some days, I feel like it takes me so much longer to push my truck.
I swear, sometimes I'll see a guest stand in front of the same spot for 20 minutes. Usually happens when it's one of the last areas I need to zone.

Last edited:
As a parent I used to make my kids, do their own orders so they learned how to speak to people and be polite. On the one hand, I’m glad I did because my kids are pretty polite but on the other hand, now that I’m on the other side, I can see how frustrating it is. Sorry!
This happens to me so often with kids buying a video game. I'm cool with it if I'm not busy but if I'm busy I'm sorry but I don't have time for little Jimmy's retail & currency lesson.

There are so many "life lessons" that parents use retail workers as servants for teaching.

Ever hear parents brag that they taught their misbehaving children that being a brat means straight home so they walked straight out, leaving a full cart? When I call them out on it, children have to be taught a lesson, it wasn't that full, there weren't any cold items, other customers do it too. For whatever reason they will not accept that part of the lesson was treating others like servants to clean up your mess, vandalism (if cold stuff was present), and who cares about getting workers in trouble when cleaning your mess means running out of time for assigned tasks. These people have so little empathy they justify every single thing as if their excuse means they weren't guilty of bad lessons. Wishing them away.

And yeah, money and asking is another one. Retail workers are your kid's school teachers, they have no other tasks and no other customers, it's fine to take up more than your share of time.

I witnessed a teen boy who looked to be about 16 with his mother on a Saturday afternoon spend an inordinately long time in the pasta aisle having an actual discussion on which one to get, reading labels, just so much indecision! Reflecting back years ago when I was a kid what normal teen boy goes to a store with his mother and shops on a Saturday?

I witnessed a teen boy who looked to be about 16 with his mother on a Saturday afternoon spend an inordinately long time in the pasta aisle having an actual discussion on which one to get, reading labels, just so much indecision! Reflecting back years ago when I was a kid what normal teen boy goes to a store with his mother and shops on a Saturday?
teen boys can like shopping/spending time with mom! :)

You know what guests grate on my nerves? Teenagers, like 15 and 16 year olds, who come to my lane buying their crop tops and fake eye lashes and cases of Moutain Dew and Takis. When I say hello, they don’t acknowledge I’ve said anything. When I tell them how much they owe, they shove their debit or credit card in the machine and then get angry when the machine can’t read their card. I try to help and they ignore me, jabbing at the static screen like they have to pick credit from the screen. Finally when their card does work, they pick up their bag and their soda and walk away, ignoring me as I’m asking if they want their receipt.

If only they had a parent who would take them to a store every once in a while and taught them to acknowledge the people at the cash register and to say please and thank you and modeling that behavior for their kids instead of treating cashiers like servants and not acknowledging their existence.

Or, if only the electronics guy wasn’t “too busy” when Jimmy came in with his birthday money from Grandma Jean to buy a video game Jimmy has been wanting forever. The electronics guy had Pop Sockets to push. He didn’t have time for Jimmy to count out $50 from the crumbled up bills in his Rick and Morty wallet.

You know what guests grate on my nerves? Teenagers, like 15 and 16 year olds, who come to my lane buying their crop tops and fake eye lashes and cases of Moutain Dew and Takis. When I say hello, they don’t acknowledge I’ve said anything. When I tell them how much they owe, they shove their debit or credit card in the machine and then get angry when the machine can’t read their card. I try to help and they ignore me, jabbing at the static screen like they have to pick credit from the screen. Finally when their card does work, they pick up their bag and their soda and walk away, ignoring me as I’m asking if they want their receipt.

If only they had a parent who would take them to a store every once in a while and taught them to acknowledge the people at the cash register and to say please and thank you and modeling that behavior for their kids instead of treating cashiers like servants and not acknowledging their existence.

Or, if only the electronics guy wasn’t “too busy” when Jimmy came in with his birthday money from Grandma Jean to buy a video game Jimmy has been wanting forever. The electronics guy had Pop Sockets to push. He didn’t have time for Jimmy to count out $50 from the crumbled up bills in his Rick and Morty wallet.
You don't teach them in the store, you teach them at home through roleplay until they have it down, and then you take them in public for just a quick brush up.

Don't treat retail workers like servants and demand they tutor your child in financial transactions. That's not their job, it's yours, don't expect others to raise your kids.

If you pop one out, if you pay money to take one home, raise the kid yourself. Too many people expect others to raise their kids for them. That includes "Tell the person this. Give this. Say thank you." No, that person isn't your kid's personal practice dummy. Handle your lessons yourself.

There are so many "life lessons" that parents use retail workers as servants for teaching.

Ever hear parents brag that they taught their misbehaving children that being a brat means straight home so they walked straight out, leaving a full cart? When I call them out on it, children have to be taught a lesson, it wasn't that full, there weren't any cold items, other customers do it too. For whatever reason they will not accept that part of the lesson was treating others like servants to clean up your mess, vandalism (if cold stuff was present), and who cares about getting workers in trouble when cleaning your mess means running out of time for assigned tasks. These people have so little empathy they justify every single thing as if their excuse means they weren't guilty of bad lessons. Wishing them away.

And yeah, money and asking is another one. Retail workers are your kid's school teachers, they have no other tasks and no other customers, it's fine to take up more than your share of time.
You don't teach them in the store, you teach them at home through roleplay until they have it down, and then you take them in public for just a quick brush up.

Don't treat retail workers like servants and demand they tutor your child in financial transactions. That's not their job, it's yours, don't expect others to raise your kids.

If you pop one out, if you pay money to take one home, raise the kid yourself. Too many people expect others to raise their kids for them. That includes "Tell the person this. Give this. Say thank you." No, that person isn't your kid's personal practice dummy. Handle your lessons yourself.
You seem nice.

Depends on the situation you catch me in, I can be nice or nightmare.

This type of situation, I'm sick of parents patting themselves on the back because they are teaching all these nice things to kids, but they absolutely refuse to admit the flip side of the coin, they are causing trouble for others by dragging them into the "good kid" lessons. They could at least own up to it - "I taught my kid throwing a fit means straight home, but I also taught the bad lesson that responding to throwing a fit means others have to clean up after me." - but they refuse to admit their morally good lesson was also ethically bad at the same time. I guess it's because they think they are such great parents and can't face a fall from grace.

Parents can teach lessons without dragging in others in a way that is detrimental to them. They can. Many don't want to.

Yuuuup , like please can people not use my valuable time for Jimmy's first retail experience I am busy as fuck and don't have the time for Jimmy to hand me all his crumbled bills that aren't flat or anything and then expecting me to count it.. like please?

The guests don't care. A couple of weeks ago I was pushing some Mens graphic t shirts when I was swarmed on both sides by guests. I was so frustrated I said out loud oh my GOD seriously? - low but audible lol, and got the hell out of there. Went and did something else until they all left.

A few days ago I was going to go through Mens for a last quick zone before leaving and there was a dude with no mask roaming all over the area - well, guess I will be leaving now without touching up the jeans, byeeee.
These yahoos can't grasp the concept of distancing. Or they think because they've got a mask on they don't have to. :/

I've started basically blocking myself into an area with my vehicles... I leave just enough space for me to move between the section of shelves where I'm pushing and my U-boat. It's the only way to keep guests from getting too close to me. That way if they want to get through, they have to allow me the time to move out of the way first.

Back