Archived Those awkward conversations....

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've all had them with guests. They come out with something that just makes anything else you have to say just seem wrong. For instance...

Tonight three adults came through my lane with a nice dress and a button down sweater over it, both hanging on the same hanger. He proceeded to tell me they were two separate prices and they had put that together to see if it looked good. I was about to say it did, or something to that effect, when he went on. He told me that they were buying it for their niece's funeral to put her in the ground in. There was NOTHING I could say after that (beyond I'm sorry for your loss) that didn't seem trivial or just plain the wrong thing to say.

Guest asked me did I keep protection on me. At first I thought they were talking about a strap/CCW. Untill she explain that she was talking about condoms. I didnt know the right Target "brand" way to answer. She said she wanted help find-out how a certain kind felt... Im like what do you expect me to do..DO YOU? She then apologized and realized how wrong her words came out. The person who watches pharmacy was around and started laughing and helped her.

An older lady came through my line buying ice cream, toppings & LOTS of whipped cream.
As I bagged her items, she mentioned that her husband likes his ice cream & "goes wild with the whipped cream".
My eyebrows shot up as she got quiet & turned beet-red.

An older lady came through my line buying ice cream, toppings & LOTS of whipped cream.
As I bagged her items, she mentioned that her husband likes his ice cream & "goes wild with the whipped cream".
Way to funny!

That's my wife in 50 years, if i ever marry.

These were a while back and more heart-wrenching.

I had a young couple come up to me with a doll, and asked if there was anyway i could sell them just the dress off the doll. I told them I am pretty sure you have to buy the entire thing. They looked and whispered at each other. I asked if they wanted to buy the doll, and they said no. They just wanted to buy the dress for a family member's premature baby.

Another time, an older mother and 20-something daughter comes up to Guest Service saying they need to check and return a number of baby items. I looked through everything and told them over half of the items came from Target. I asked them for any receipts or their registry. They told me friends bought the items and never gave them any receipts, and they were not registered at Target. I attempted to do a no-receipt return on both IDs, I returned what I could but the POS quickly hit the limit on both. I told them they could try bringing stuff back on another license

The mother leaned over and asked if there was anything else I could do because her daughter lost the baby and they didn't need the items anymore. All I could do is give them the 1800 Guest Service card and told them to call the number and inform them its a hardship situation.

Last edited:
These was a while back and more heart-wrenching.

I had a young couple come up to me with a doll, and asked if there was anyway i could sell them just the dress off the doll. I told them I am pretty sure you have to buy the entire thing. They looked and whispered at each other. I asked if they wanted to buy the doll, and they said no. They just wanted to buy the dress for a family member's premature baby.

Another time, an older mother and 20-something daughter comes up to Guest Service saying they need to check and return a number of baby items. I looked through everything and told them over half of the items came from Target. I asked them for any receipts or their registry. They told me friends bought the items and never gave them any receipts, and they were not registered at Target. I attempted to do a no-receipt return on both IDs, I returned what I could but the POS quickly hit the limit on both. I told them they could try bringing stuff back on another license

The mother leaned over and asked if there was anything else I could do because her daughter lost the baby and they didn't need the items anymore. All could do is give them the 1800 Guest Service card and inform them its a hardship situation.

I had this happen a couple of weeks ago and i got an ETL involved who called and they were able to override everything and let us return it. I would have been really mad had they not done it for them.

These was a while back and more heart-wrenching.

The mother leaned over and asked if there was anything else I could do because her daughter lost the baby and they didn't need the items anymore. All could do is give them the 1800 Guest Service card and inform them its a hardship situation.

I had this happen a couple of weeks ago and i got an ETL involved who called and they were able to override everything and let us return it. I would have been really mad had they not done it for them.

Well handled! Gtc to you both!

When this occured at our store, the SDTM (normally pretty stern) had another TM log on the register & used her own license # to finish up the returns.
She'll never admit it but she was a real sweety that day.

This didn't happen at Target but while I worked at a book store.
I was in the kids section and an attractive lady came up to me and started whispering in my ear asking if I had any books on divorce.
It took me a minute to realize she was asking for kids books on the subject and the reason she was whispering was that her son was standing right in front of us.
When I took her over to the section where the books were she told me that her husband had packed up and left the night before leaving only a note.

Last edited:
A few years ago we sold bras that had some type of gel or water in them. I had a drag queen try one on. He came out of the fitting room with just that bra and a pair of jeans and red pumps. He was so thrilled with the bra he wanted me to feel it and see just how real it was! Honestly I was laughing so hard I couldn't catch my breath. He was so much fun.

This didn't happen at Target but while I worked at a book store.
I was in the kids section and an attractive lady came up to me and started whispering in my ear asking is I had any books on divorce.
It took me a minute to realize she was asking for kids books on the subject and the reason she was whispering was that her son was standing right in front of us.
When I took her over to the section where the books were she told me that her husband had packed up and left the night before leaving only a note.

Wow what a real class act. That's not a man. A real man would have said this isn't working and done it the right way, not just up and left like a little *****.

Wow what a real class act. That's not a man. A real man would have said this isn't working and done it the right way, not just up and left like a little *****.
Well said. My wife's dad bailed on his three kids when they were young. Then he got remarried and changed HIS last name. God forbid he have any remaining connection to the kids he fathered. And what kind of woman would marry that guy, knowing that he bailed once before, and then have kids with him herself?

I had a woman come up to the pharmacy counter yesterday with her 4 kids in tow...the kids were bouncing off the walls, all excited about something, and I notice the lady has a pregnancy test in her hand. She asks if she can pay for it there and I say sure. The kids are talking about names and babysitting and she says (but she's smiling so I guess it's a good thing if she is???) "Geez, I don't even know if I am yet!" There's another woman with her and she says "Can we do our shopping now that you got it?" and one of the kids says "NO! She has to do it first!!!" I hand her the test and say "Good luck? Maybe?" I had to walk out of the pharmacy to see if she went into the bathroom....she did....she never came back to let me know how it turned out :(

Onw timw I did a carry out for this elderly couple and after I was done I told the guy have a nice day and he said "turn around mamas got something for you." (I'm not sure why but the phrase just sounded really wrong.) I turned around and his wife was holding a couple dollars to give me as a tip. It made refusing the tip even more awkward than normal.

Onw timw I did a carry out for this elderly couple and after I was done I told the guy have a nice day and he said "turn around mamas got something for you." (I'm not sure why but the phrase just sounded really wrong.) I turned around and his wife was holding a couple dollars to give me as a tip. It made refusing the tip even more awkward than normal.

My grandma and grandpa used to call each other mom and dad. It always seemed strange to me. Maybe it's a generational thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back