Archived TL interview questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackroomAlpha

Ask me anything, maybe I can help.
Assuming that since I am on the bench. What are the types of questions asked during the interviews and how should I prepare myself? What to worry about, what not to say etc

STAR interviews:
The answer to your question(s) are pretty simple. During your interview be honest and yourself. They will ask you 4-5 situational questions (total of 3 rounds I believe) just to see what type of leader you are. Remember to paint them a picture because what they are looking for in each question that you answer is to be outlined in the following way:

Situation - how does your answer relate to the question
Example: tell me about a time you had to make a tough decison
You - During college ect..... <--- you are painting them a picture so tehy can visually see your answer.
Task - what did you have to accomplish/what what was the issue or problem
Action - how did you solve this issue/what steps were taken.
Result - what was the final outcome.

Overall be upbeat. During the interview don't EVER put yourself down. Even with the famous questions "what is one think your previous supervisor would change or say that you need to work on." Turn the question about to something like: "One thing my past supervisor would stay that I can improve is sometimes I tend want to help out too much. If I see someone struggling I always try and offer assistance." Remember to turn a weakness into a strength (sorry I just got off work so if a lot does not make sense please don't blame me lol).

Coolnite7, Yesterday at 8:48 PM

Overall be upbeat. During the interview don't EVER put yourself down. Even with the famous questions "what is one think your previous supervisor would change or say that you need to work on." Turn the question about to something like: "One thing my past supervisor would stay that I can improve is sometimes I tend want to help out too much. If I see someone struggling I always try and offer assistance." Remember to turn a weakness into a strength (sorry I just got off work so if a lot does not make sense please don't blame me lol).

Coolnite7, Yesterday at 8:48 PM
I'm not a fan of answering it this way. It seems... dishonest. Not that you are outright lying, but trying to sort of trick the interviewer. I'd prefer honesty. So my answer would be something about following up with team members. I'm good at setting the expectation, but not always great with the follow up because sometimes I just want to be their friend too much. But I've been working on it and talking with my leaders on how I can improve and I've seen some results, but I know I have a long way to go.

The answer is honest and shows that I can truly be self-aware about my weaknesses. If you aren't able to see your own faults, you're going to have a really hard time improving. I had a cashier interview once who said she didn't have any weaknesses. But the fact that she was late to the interview and spelled Business College wrong on her application tell me that she has plenty of weaknesses and isn't the type of person who would even work on them.

Interviews are the time to brag about yourself. Not in an arrogant way, but consider what you've done to improve processes, help other TMs, and challenge your peers and bosses and use those experiences to show why you're awesome. You want them to see that through your confidence and stories as you answer the questions. The stories are important but so are the format in which you answer the questions, as HLM outlined above. There will also be a few basic questions asking about previous leadership experience and why you want to be a leader at Target that you should consider as well.

Make sure they know not only that you're a hard worker, but that you're ready to LEAD others.

Just remember you're not on the bench until you finish your interviews and are signed off. Don't let them carrot dangle you.

Last edited:
Just remember you're not on the bench until you finish your interviews and are signed off. Don't let them carrot dangle you.
What you mean exactly? I think they kind of jerk me around Alot to get me to take on large workloads. This thought crosses my mind quite often.

Basically, the interview part comes first, then you are "signed off on," then you are on the bench. Once you are on the bench, you can be placed as a team leader when a position opens up.

From what I hear and have seen at my store is that you know do two ETL interviews and a final with an STL.

Also, don't freak out about it as much I went in with a blank mind slate but had the prep questions in the back on my mind to refer to. Just be honest with your answers and don't necessarily answer what you think they want to hear.

Some questions, from what I can remember-
Tell me about yourself.
Tell me about a time you helped your team achieve its goals.
Tell me about a time you gave great guest service.
Tell me about a time when you gave feedback to a peer or supervisor.
Tell me about a process that you've helped to improve.

There was basically one question pertaining to each of the 11 leadership qualities Target espouses. From what I understand, they're doing away with those now though, so these may no longer be accurate.

My best advice, think of some situations in work or school where you felt you really shined or showed leadership potential. Write them down to better organize your thoughts and sort through the details. Have a handful of really stellar examples ready that you can adapt to suit different questions (i.e. a situation where you displayed both adaptability and the ability to manage a team). Also have some 'pretty good' situations to speak to as well as a situation where you messed up. For this one, be prepared to demonstrate accountability and really speak to what you learned and how it will affect what you will do as a TL.

Prepare your own questions for your interviewers. Ask them what qualities they think are most important in a leader, where they see Target's future, how they got the position they did, what they've improved, etc. Be interested in what they have to say and converse with them about it.

In addition, and others may disagree with this advice, but presentation is everything. I went into my interviews feeling not ready and totally inadequate but I did my very best to hide that. Get a nice, new, ultra-professional red shirt, wear your best shoes and khakis, and hold yourself high. Shoulders back, firm handshake, maintain eye contact. If they ask a question that trips you up, say, "That's a good question. Let me think about that." Fully process their questions and know what you will say before you speak. Stuttering and saying, "ummm," will do you no favors. Appearing confident and charismatic will do you wonders.

It's an ETL interview, then STL followed by DTL from what I hear. I'm not exactly sure I even want a leadership position. I feel I can make a difference in a team and naturally have leadership qualities that I express daily already by improving current team members. I dont want the politics of leadership, just the challenge of maintaining a function and improving people's work ethic around me which I can already do. Of course being a "boss" unfortunately gives you an upper hand in doing so as people listen to their boss more.

They stopped doing the DTL interview earlier this year so you won't have to worry about that part.

Does anyone know what the updated TL interview questions are?

Supposed to do my interview with my STL for sign off on the bench.

Does anyone know what the updated TL interview questions are?

Supposed to do my interview with my STL for sign off on the bench.

I wish I could help you out with that but our store is still using the old interview questions o_O.

The questions don't matter. You should have a handful of stories that fit multiple questions. All the answers need to be in situation/behavior/outcome. Focus most on the monologue on behavior.
High scope stories are the best. How did your behavior improve overall store processes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back