To That One Guest - II

Same. If you doubled my pharmacy manager’s salary & added mine to it, you still wouldn’t be at what my husband makes. I had a mom and her daughter at the register and her daughter told me my wedding ring was pretty. I thanked her and turned to grab their bag. When I did, the mom whispered to her, “oh, that’s not real. When you’re older, you’ll marry someone who can afford to buy you one like that that’s real.” I brought their bags back and said to the girl, “just so you know, this is definitely real, but it’s not the size that matters, it’s the amount of love in the ring.” The little girl asked how long my husband and I were married and I told her 21 years. She then turned to her mom and asked “mom, why didn’t you and daddy stay married? Was it because there wasn’t enough love in your ring” The mom’s face turned about 10 shades of red and she said, “ummmm.....I guess not.” PharmaQueen-1, BitchyMom-0:D
Best story I’ve heard this week! Love it

Same. If you doubled my pharmacy manager’s salary & added mine to it, you still wouldn’t be at what my husband makes. I had a mom and her daughter at the register and her daughter told me my wedding ring was pretty. I thanked her and turned to grab their bag. When I did, the mom whispered to her, “oh, that’s not real. When you’re older, you’ll marry someone who can afford to buy you one like that that’s real.” I brought their bags back and said to the girl, “just so you know, this is definitely real, but it’s not the size that matters, it’s the amount of love in the ring.” The little girl asked how long my husband and I were married and I told her 21 years. She then turned to her mom and asked “mom, why didn’t you and daddy stay married? Was it because there wasn’t enough love in your ring” The mom’s face turned about 10 shades of red and she said, “ummmm.....I guess not.” PharmaQueen-1, BitchyMom-0:D
Also, I respect a lot that you work at target even though with your husbands salary you most likey don’t need to!

I often refer to children as monsters, but I know part of it is perception. I don't like kids. A lot of kids drive me up a wall but I know that they are just being kids, full of energy, and they can't help their high pitched voices, and normal brain development requires a sense of being of supreme importance and needs time to curb impulsivity. Doesn't help my desire to run away and hide in a 21-and-up place, but I know the problem is me.

There are a lot of kids though that don't act appropriately, that are destructive or butt into every conversation or do other bad things. But they can't get 100% of the blame because the parents' actions send the message that the behavior is acceptable.

Today however, I did come across a true demon spawn. Mother, grandmother, kid who looked 7-8. I'm trying to explain what cartwheel is and how to use it. The grandmother flat out asked what is cartwheel and I answered it. As I'm in the middle of teaching it the kid started saying loudly "What is cartwheel?" loudly with a grin on his face. At first he was ignored and then his mother told him to stop in a firm mom voice. He asked one more time, we ignored him and it finally sunk into that 7 year old brain that he wasn't going to be the center of attention. So next loud statement was "I have to go to the bathroom." With that grin. His mother immediately grabbed him and hustled him towards the restroom, which gave him what he wanted, to be the center of attention.

That kid was more successful at deliberate manipulation than any other kid I've ever seen. If he's that good now then he's going to be very frightening when he gets a bit older. I've seen a lot of kids, I've seen a lot of kids try to make a conversation all about them, but I've never seen a kid carefully pick a statement for immediate attention focus like that kid did. Usually with kids their attempts to get attention by saying something is a bit ridiculous because their normal impulsivity works against them.

So....TTOG: Good luck for the next decade or so, because with that kid you are going to need it.

Also, I respect a lot that you work at target even though with your husbands salary you most likey don’t need to!
Thanks. I was a stay at home mom when my kids were younger, finished my degree when the youngest started school, then started working because I was going stir crazy being at home. I have social anxiety, so working actually kills 2 birds with one stone. You’re right, I don’t “need” to work, as far as money goes, but if I didn’t, I’d rarely leave my house and that wouldn’t be good for me psychologically.

So, had a child and friend that couldn't find her mom recently. Paged and walkied support to guest service. Mom didn't hear or seem to care as she was on the phone still shopping. First thing the Mom said to the child, "What, did you have an emotional breakdown, again?" I kid you not. I wish I was making this up. The child was crying. We just stood by and couldn't believe this.

tenor.gif

TTOG who got in line many minutes after I had already turned off my lane light, ignored me when I first said, "excuse me, I apologize but my lane is closed," continued to browse for impulse candy while I continue to ring up these other items for my last guest, and when I finish the transaction for this guest I turn to you again and say, "sorry, but the lane is closed" and you give me attitude and say, "I'm just getting a couple of things," screw you. Lane is closed. I got called away to do something else. Lane's been closed. Go through SCO or another lane.

I did not check him out and the other guest and I just kinda giggled at the guy's attitude.

So, had a child and friend that couldn't find her mom recently. Paged and walkied support to guest service. Mom didn't hear or seem to care as she was on the phone still shopping. First thing the Mom said to the child, "What, did you have an emotional breakdown, again?" I kid you not. I wish I was making this up. The child was crying. We just stood by and couldn't believe this.

Did you tell her to have a nice day and C.U. Next Tuesday?

85% of me thinks the mother is cruel.

15% of me wonders how old was the child and how often the child goes wherever in a store, and if Mom has to spend several minutes looking for the child every single time they go out. If the child has a bad tendency to disappear in a store and punishment for disappearing isn't working, and the child is old enough, it's possible that Mom decided that logical consequences (what naturally follows when you do something bad) of what disappearing in a store can lead to is the only thing that will finally stop the behavior.

15% of me wonders how old was the child and how often the child goes wherever in a store, and if Mom has to spend several minutes looking for the child every single time they go out. If the child has a bad tendency to disappear in a store and punishment for disappearing isn't working, and the child is old enough, it's possible that Mom decided that logical consequences (what naturally follows when you do something bad) of what disappearing in a store can lead to is the only thing that will finally stop the behavior.
There’s no cause for shaming a child for “having an emotional breakdown,” especially in public.

The kid appeared to be no older than 10. The mother was found coming from Office/Stat/Toys, not too far from the front end. Wasn't around for the whole thing.

The kid appeared to be no older than 10. The mother was found coming from Office/Stat/Toys, not too far from the front end. Wasn't around for the whole thing.
Again, 85% thinks Mom is a dick.

But 15% of me thinks that 8-9 is plenty old enough for being able to deliberately turn on the waterworks whenever things don't go the kid's way, hence the emotional comment, and also old enough that if everything else in Mom's toolbox (grounding, spanking, revocation of privileges, etc) hasn't kept the kid at her side then the child is old enough to safely do a logical consequence.

TTOG, There is a special place in hell for people like you, who opened not just one of the refill bottles of Orbeez, peeled off the seal and scattered them all over the shelf & aisle, but also ripped the seal off of one of the layers of the 5-layer mega pack (and scattered them all over the aisle & shelf), not only wasting a bunch of product but wasting a shitton of my time cleaning that shit up.

I was working one Black Friday in 2013. We had a child that was separated from their mother. Target had a deal on iPads that year. The mother heard us paging but didn't want to get out of line. That stupid iPad was more important to her than her child.

TTOG: I squished myself up against the freezer door as much as I could so you could go by. Unless you want me to open the door and stash myself inside there's no way I can move anymore.

TTOG who sent your young son (maybe like 5) with your baby’s dirty diaper in hand all the way BEHIND the guest service desk to throw it in our trash can: ????????????
Gah! Did you have the bag removed and put in the compactor immediately? I sure as hell would not want to be there when that diaper gets ripe.

TTOG: I understand it’s hard to have kids, but if your son is throwing that big of a tantrum because he disobeyed you and no longer gets that toy as a reward for good behavior, don’t give in and finally give it to him. Also, don’t tell him the cashier doesn’t want him to have it. Stand your ground. Literally my first shift GSAing and I thought a 10 year old boy was going to hit the cashier. I checked and made sure the cashier was okay and we joked about it, but the lady just let her kid scream about what a “horrible lady” the cashier was.

TTOG: Your kid pushed the cart (with baby sister in it) RIGHT in my path as I was pushing a VERY heavy tub.
Fortunately I have good brakes or your kids would've been smudges on the tile.
I keep having this situation with kids crawling and running out of our shoe aisle. I go so slow now with flats because I swear running over a kid is gonna lose me my job. As the parent just watches of course.

Back