To That One Guest - II

FFS, people, DON'T TOUCH STRANGERS UNLESS YOU'RE PULLING THEM OUT OF A BURNING VEHICLE OR THEY STOPPED BREATHING AND YOU KNOW CPR.

I don't get why this is so difficult for some people to grok. You shouldn't need to give any indication you don't want to be touched, because PEOPLE SHOULDN'T BE TOUCHING STRANGERS IN THE FIRST PLACE.

This goes double for pregnant women. Their bellies are not community property. I know you want to feel the baby kick, but if it is not your belly, YOU DON’T TOUCH.

I witnessed a pregnant lady damn near have to punch an older woman out because she would not quit trying to touch her when I was grocery shopping. The lady was contorting out of reach as much as possible and clearly told OW to not touch her and the OW STILL had her hand outstretched and was trying to nag PW in to letting her ‘feel’ the baby.

This goes double for pregnant women. Their bellies are not community property. I know you want to feel the baby kick, but if it is not your belly, YOU DON’T TOUCH.

I witnessed a pregnant lady damn near have to punch an older woman out because she would not quit trying to touch her when I was grocery shopping. The lady was contorting out of reach as much as possible and clearly told OW to not touch her and the OW STILL had her hand outstretched and was trying to nag PW in to letting her ‘feel’ the baby.

Some people! Not only is the the mom getting hassled, the poor kid’s privacy is being violated before he or she is even born. Just as bad are strangers who want to hold the newborn. That happened to friend of mine. She was out shopping at the store where we all worked, and some lady was pestering her to hold the baby, like that was ever going to happen. I thought my friend was going to punch her lights out before the rest of us intervened.

some lady was pestering her to hold the baby,
Reminds me when my first son was a few months old & I was riding a shuttle.
There were no open seats & nobody was offering theirs so I had him in one arm & held on to the bar with the other.
A woman sitting nearby stretched out her hands & said she'd 'hold the baby' but I pulled away & said no.
I said I wouldn't turn over my baby to a stranger, much less someone who wouldn't offer their seat for a new mom.

I had some guy get angry and hostile with me on the phone because I couldn't quite understand what he wanted. He wanted a toy, it ended up being a Luvabella doll. I have never heard of that toy. I couldn't understand if he said "Love Bella" or "Luvabella" or possibly "Isabella". If it was love, I didn't know if it was spelled "luv" or "love". Why is asking for clarification and asking for spelling such a big fucking deal?

Welcome! You’re going to love working in HR at Target. Very challenging but you’re working on a team of HR associates which makes it a lot easier. You’re a Team Leader (SrHRTL) which means you have Team Members (HRTM) under you. I’m kinda new in my position too so I can’t really offer too many tips but there are a few amazing people here that have worked in HR that’ll give you great advice! @LUR99 @HRZone

I had some guy get angry and hostile with me on the phone because I couldn't quite understand what he wanted. He wanted a toy, it ended up being a Luvabella doll. I have never heard of that toy. I couldn't understand if he said "Love Bella" or "Luvabella" or possibly "Isabella". If it was love, I didn't know if it was spelled "luv" or "love". Why is asking for clarification and asking for spelling such a big fucking deal?
Because they think that retail workers are robots that know every single product in the store like the back of their hand. It’s so irritating. Especially when I’m the operator and they don’t understand why I have to transfer them to a specific department 🙄

Consent is a major issue on a whole bunch of different levels.
People need to be taught that you ask if someone wants to be touched for any reason and not take it personally if they don't.

Welcome to TBR! I am leaving Target soon but will visit this forum when I have time. Feel free to ask me questions. I may not be able to always answer you immediately but I will reply when I get a chance to see your question.

Last edited:
To those guests: I AM NOT TARGET.COM! AGAIN, I AM NOT TARGET.COM!

I am so fucking sick and tired of people calling the store when they really need to read their email and call the "contact us" number in it. One person, when I said she needed to contact Target.com said "Okay" in a happy voice and hung up. A few more needed a little prompting to refer to their email, but once they opened it they were good. Most people though....they can't find the email, they found it but there's no link and no contact information in the email, they don't have access to their email, they don't understand why I just can't do [insert any variation to the online order here] instead of them needing to follow the email instructions, they want a physical verification that their order is ready because they don't trust the email they received, they are having a problem with the email links and want me to fix it, etc etc etc. And when I tell them to call Target.com for assistance with the online order, too often there's a "But it's at your store, so why can't you do it?"

To those guests: I AM NOT TARGET.COM! AGAIN, I AM NOT TARGET.COM!

I am so fucking sick and tired of people calling the store when they really need to read their email and call the "contact us" number in it. One person, when I said she needed to contact Target.com said "Okay" in a happy voice and hung up. A few more needed a little prompting to refer to their email, but once they opened it they were good. Most people though....they can't find the email, they found it but there's no link and no contact information in the email, they don't have access to their email, they don't understand why I just can't do [insert any variation to the online order here] instead of them needing to follow the email instructions, they want a physical verification that their order is ready because they don't trust the email they received, they are having a problem with the email links and want me to fix it, etc etc etc. And when I tell them to call Target.com for assistance with the online order, too often there's a "But it's at your store, so why can't you do it?"
I'm sure your GS team appreciates you screening those instead of just forwarding them to us

I try not to transfer every phone call. If I'm busy hardlines can check inventory of that bedspread. If the guest has one heck of a story with fifty million details and I don't know if I'm dealing with fraud GS can take the call. Same with a return for an expensive item. But I've learned the answers to simple return questions and the basics of in-store pickup. Saves me a headache too, if GS is busy then I would have to deal with irate guests who are *still* holding for GS and not happy about it.

So this one is not a Spot guest....

TToG: You started out so polite and understanding when something didn't ring u as expected. How did we get from that to you screaming at the manager that she was being deceptive? And in less than 2 minutes, even??

So this one is not a Spot guest....

TToG: You started out so polite and understanding when something didn't ring u as expected. How did we get from that to you screaming at the manager that she was being deceptive? And in less than 2 minutes, even??
Sounds like someone who understands prices are not the fault of the cashier so there's no need to blame them, but also has a temper and thinks that a manager should have fixed the pricing problem long before a guest/customer picked up the item.

TTO not G: That's wonderful that you are considering employing one of our previous TMs. At least, that's what you said you are doing. Part of me thinks you are lying through your teeth in order to gather information on someone for something unethical and possibly illegal. You work for Forever 21, a large company, and you are in a position that allows you to hire. And you really think that the TM's direct supervisor is going to happily pick up the phone and talk about the former TM's work ethic and how she carried out her responsibilities? Are you stupid? No large employer does that, none, major companies simply confirm employment dates, because what's said can lead to lawsuits. Actually you have to be stupid, to call back a second time and say that the corporate number for employment verification that I gave you was "too complicated". Oh, and let's not forget that when I was giving you the number during the first phone call that you actually said, word for word, "I have to call a different number?" You sound like a high school kid, not a hiring manager. I am not sorry that during the second phone call when you were still pushing hard to talk to the immediate supervisor about work ethic I lost all sugary sweet politeness and told you flat out that we don't do that, you won't be able to talk to anyone, call the employment verification number.

Edit: Thinking back, she never even mentioned the former TM's name. But she did ask for one TL in particular, in addition to HR.

To that one guest: I'm actually genuinely sorry to hear about your bad experience and the fact that you won't come back to Target, at least not for a while. The team member in line at the register in front of you was applying for the Target debit card, and the check they had just would not go through the check-reading machine, no matter what I or the cashier did. You understandably got frustrated and went to another line to check-out. I'm not sure what words were exchanged between you and the cashier at the register you were originally waiting for, but you got upset and asked me to speak to a manager, and I directed you to my GSTL to discuss the matter. The reason I'm not sure what happened was because I was at self-checkout and only came over to help the cashier since the check was not going through the machine.

TTOG: Yes, I'm in khaki and red. No, I'm not on the clock. I am sitting in the Cafe enjoying cold bread sticks and 2-hour old pizza reminiscent of chewing gum, but this is what's for dinner. I'm sorry the SCO cashier is slow and all four lights are blinking red, but I'm not going to go over to you no matter how much you wave, yell "excuse me!!", or do the rain dance trying to get my attention. For all you know, I'm deaf and I'm staring at the beautiful girl who works Cosmetics 40 feet behind you.

SCO guest: This item scanned twice.
Me: I’ll be happy to remove that for you.
(ten seconds later)
SCO guest: excuse me - it happened again.
Me: oops! Let me fix that.
(ten seconds later)
SCO guest: it did it again!!
Me - out loud with a smile: so sorry about that!
Me- in my head: stop flapping the bar code across the screen like you are having a seizure and maybe YOU - not the machine - will stop double scanning your items! Jeez Louise!

SCO guest: This item scanned twice.
Me: I’ll be happy to remove that for you.
(ten seconds later)
SCO guest: excuse me - it happened again.
Me: oops! Let me fix that.
(ten seconds later)
SCO guest: it did it again!!
Me - out loud with a smile: so sorry about that!
Me- in my head: stop flapping the bar code across the screen like you are having a seizure and maybe YOU - not the machine - will stop double scanning your items! Jeez Louise!
One of my pet peeves is oh IT/THE MACHINE scanned it twice. No Susan, it’s self checkout. YOU scanned it twice.

Back