To That One Guest - II

Bad form. You have no idea what dietary needs anyone has. I never think that anyone should mess with another person's food order. Switching someone to decaf that didn't order it may sound harmless, but the beans have a higher fat content and could potentially mess with someone's health.
I don’t think one cup of decaf for Karen is going to any harm to health.

We are taking a joke and running way, way too far with it.

But while there are some genuine concerns with giving someone caffeine if they didn't ask for it, other than maybe migraine relief there's no harm that's going to happen from skipping one cup of caffeine. Just a little bit of uncomfortableness. If you're deliberately mean, a headache is just desserts.

I don’t think one cup of decaf for Karen is going to any harm to health.
Just don't think it's a joke and do think it's never a server's call to make whether it's skipping one cup of caffeine or any other food substance. I've seen a person go into anaphylaxis after being touched by a person who simply ate a Snickers bar and the peanut residue was on their hands. That changes attitudes. Well placed sarcasm with a smile and a twinkle in my eye is my go to. Then Karen knows she's been seen, heard, and spanked.

I'm not a fan of that either. A lot of people get headaches if they don't get their caffeine. Not really healthy I suppose but it is best to not mess with food and drink.
I agree. You don't know for certain why someone wants a drink with caffeine in it, nor can you be completely certain that the drink is even for the person buying it. For all you know, they're someone with ADHD who depends on caffeine to allow them to even function.

We are taking a joke and running way, way too far with it.

But while there are some genuine concerns with giving someone caffeine if they didn't ask for it, other than maybe migraine relief there's no harm that's going to happen from skipping one cup of caffeine. Just a little bit of uncomfortableness. If you're deliberately mean, a headache is just desserts.
This.
Well placed sarcasm with a smile and a twinkle in my eye is my go to. Then Karen knows she's been seen, heard, and spanked.
How quaint.

they're someone with ADHD who depends on caffeine to allow them to even function.
A psychiatrist treating my daughter told me something wise. If caffeine was strong enough to help, it wouldn't be a food inclusion or additive, it would be a prescription and it would be the go-to medication for ADHD.

Someone relying on caffeine would have to drink a poisonous amount to get enough brain stimulation to help. ADHD is no joke but caffeine is a tiny giggler.

To that one guest that got mad I was dancing on the race track, I'm so sorry you are a Grinch, I'm gonna help my team feel jot the best way I can. Please take your petty attitude somewhere else.

Oh and I'm sorry you got upset my hurt face. I can't help the way you affect others

A psychiatrist treating my daughter told me something wise. If caffeine was strong enough to help, it wouldn't be a food inclusion or additive, it would be a prescription and it would be the go-to medication for ADHD.

Someone relying on caffeine would have to drink a poisonous amount to get enough brain stimulation to help. ADHD is no joke but caffeine is a tiny giggler.
I went to school with someone with ADHD and a Mountain Dew had enough caffeine to take just enough of an edge off of his symptoms to let him get his class work done. It was far from perfect, and he did struggle quite a bit, but it may be all he had going for him at the time. While it may not be as affective as something like Adderal, it may be the only thing they have. Not everyone wants to try to find a doctor who will take them seriously and not treat them like a drug addict.

I went to school with someone with ADHD and a Mountain Dew had enough caffeine to take just enough of an edge off of his symptoms to let him get his class work done. It was far from perfect, and he did struggle quite a bit, but it may be all he had going for him at the time. While it may not be as affective as something like Adderal, it may be the only thing they have. Not everyone wants to try to find a doctor who will take them seriously and not treat them like a drug addict.
Because there aren't any non-addictive medications. Oh wait, there are.

I'm going to trust a doctor more than I'll trust mommy anecdotal "evidence" passed down to child, possibly triggering a placebo effect.

SERP= search engine result page

And, Tessa, yes, that's exactly it. The image shows a Target logo at the bottom, and they don't bother to actually click in and find out that, no, actually that product and Target don't actually exist together in any current (or former, or future) universe, let alone at the store the person is currently standing in.

See also: people relying on social media or map apps for current Target hours, and dishing out hell on our SETL about our hours being "wrong on the website" when, no, Target.com had the right hours, but whatever app they were using hadn't updated for COVID hours.
I made these people walk me thru their search process like i was dumb retail employee.... but it was so they would walk into my trap of "im sorry maam looks like we did sell it at one time but its been discontinued, can i recommend the home depot? I noticed they were the result next to us. And they are the next building over."
Usually that got them to leave me alone.

I have a addiction too. But don't be a karen at the coffee hookup and you don't get decaf'd cause those pots are awfully easy to mix up.
Actually, at our Starbucks the coffee vessels are kept on the counter in full view of the guests, who can easily see what coffee is being served.

As someone who has worked in retail for almost 40 years, I understand the aggravation of having to deal with shitty customers. But fucking around with a food or drink order is never ok.

Because there aren't any non-addictive medications. Oh wait, there are.

I'm going to trust a doctor more than I'll trust mommy anecdotal "evidence" passed down to child, possibly triggering a placebo effect.
Okay...you're kinda going a little hard there.

Someone with adhd here. Didn't even know I had adhd until I was an adult so no "placebo effect" bias: caffeine does help take the edge off just enough to get stuff done. It's not an astronomical difference, but it helps calm and focus my attention so it's less painful.
You're right, it isn't on the same level as medication. And it doesn't get rid of the symptoms. But it helps because its a stimulant...and adhd brains need stimulants to be calm.

Maybe do some actual research instead of one throwaway comment by one doctor? Or listen to people who actually have adhd who say it helps them?

Also in regards to your other snarky comment: Adhd meds are notoriously difficult to get prescribed appropriately because they are addictive...to NTs...who pop them to pep up when people with adhd need them to function normally...making doctors be on their guard to prescribing them to anyone because college idiots pop Adderall to party while someone with adhd downs redbulls just to feel slightly less chaotic because no doctor would help them since they "might be faking or planning to sell them".

Someone with adhd here. Didn't even know I had adhd until I was an adult so no "placebo effect" bias: caffeine does help take the edge off just enough to get stuff done. It's not an astronomical difference, but it helps calm and focus my attention so it's less painful.
You're right, it isn't on the same level as medication. And it doesn't get rid of the symptoms. But it helps because its a stimulant...and adhd brains need stimulants to be calm.

Maybe do some actual research instead of one throwaway comment by one doctor? Or listen to people who actually have adhd who say it helps them?

Also in regards to your other snarky comment: Adhd meds are notoriously difficult to get prescribed appropriately because they are addictive...to NTs...who pop them to pep up when people with adhd need them to function normally...making doctors be on their guard to prescribing them to anyone because college idiots pop Adderall to party while someone with adhd downs redbulls just to feel slightly less chaotic because no doctor would help them since they "might be faking or planning to sell them".
Yea i used to tank quadshot what ever on the really busy and chaotic days. Turns out yea adult adhd.
But when i first started as a seasonal they said" free soda bring your own container all q4" ....... black friday weekend i sold 50 tvs 35 service plans, upsold 15 of them,and loaded every singlr one...
But i was also down large nalgenes of soda and water multiple times a night and not getting the shakes but just really efficiently getting shit done.

My daughter has ADHD. She got it naturally, from me, I also have ADHD. Mine is uncontrolled because of either side effects or inaffectiveness.

There are stimulants. There are SNRIs like Strattera. There are other medications that focus on norepinephrine (yanno, the N is SNRI). Do a little research on what options there are instead of "stimulant, stimulant, stimulant" and saying they can't possibly exist.

And if you want anecdotal evidence, caffeine does nothing for the energizer bunny brain that has me bouncing everywhere at once. Nor does it get my house clean like it was when I was on medication fighting the horrible side effects because I really wanted to stay on the medication.

And if you want anecdotal evidence, caffeine does nothing for the energizer bunny brain that has me bouncing everywhere at once. Nor does it get my house clean like it was when I was on medication fighting the horrible side effects because I really wanted to stay on the medication
And, surprisingly, you're only one person with adhd. So, you can't just make blanket statements when other people's experiences don't match up with yours. Like, even googling if caffeine helps people with adhd brings up dozens of results stating there's been studies that say it does, but since it doesn't help everyone with adhd it's still considered inconclusive.
So. Caffeine doesn't help you. But it helps me, and other people with adhd.
Kinda like how taking one kind of adhd med might help one person while it makes another sick...or like you just stated that some adhd meds don't work for you at all... Like people are all different and just struggling to cope and find what helps them. Wild.

And honestly I'm not sure why you seem so angry about this and harping on everyone who's experiences don't match yours? Like telling me to do research as if I don't...have adhd? Or know other people with adhd? Some of whom are medicated and have switched meds multiple times or whove had doctors refuse to represrcibe meds because of the things I previously described.

We don't all share the same experiences, even if we have the same neuro divergences.

Hell, cocaine did wonders for my AD/HD only I didn't know it at the time.
It's always fun having undiagnosed brain stuff.
Wasn't good for the anxiety issues though or for the epilepsy.
Caffeine works but only mildly.
I need a lot of it to have any effect.

It's always fun having undiagnosed brain stuff.
Yep.
At least the realization finally makes everything go "Oh. That makes sense". Bittersweet feeling lol.
Caffeine works but only mildly.
I need a lot of it to have any effect
I drink it steadily throughout the day just to take the edge off. If I don't have it at work I get spacey and start forgetting stuff. Packed a whole order once...taped the box, added bubbles, closed it up. Looked up and realized I'd forgotten to put the item in the box...I make sure I have a soda at my pack station now.

And honestly I'm not sure why you seem so angry about this and harping on everyone who's experiences don't match yours? Like telling me to do research as if I don't...have adhd? Or know other people with adhd? Some of whom are medicated and have switched meds multiple times or whove had doctors refuse to represrcibe meds because of the things I previously described.

I received my information from a doctor of psychiatry. So now I'm told that anecdotal evidence is far, far more correct than a medical professional's training by the same people that turn around and say talk to a doctor and not listen to anecdotal evidence for other common health concerns.

I received my information from a doctor of psychiatry. So now I'm told that anecdotal evidence is far, far more correct than a medical professional's training by the same people that turn around and say talk to a doctor and not listen to anecdotal evidence for other common health concerns.
???
I'm not sure you understand what's being said here. Caffeine isn't a substitute for medication. It's an aid. NTs use it to wake up and feel energized. People with adhd can use it to chill out and focus. Some NTs don't feel effects from caffeine. Some NDs don't, either. It's just brains working differently.

Also, one doctor, can in fact, be misinformed. They aren't all monoliths of knowledge unfortunately.
Because as I said...there's been plenty of studies that point to caffeine having a positive effect on people with adhd. I can link you some if you don't want to go look it up. I can also link you to dozens of stories of adults with adhd who have been misdiagnosed and/or under-medicated by psych professionals and had to go to several to get the help they needed.

But this isn't the forum to keep arguing about this in. I'm sorry you're so upset about all this "anecdotal evidence" from several other people with adhd. Hope you have a nice rest of your night and that your weekend is good :)

So looking at the peer reviewed papers, it looks like:
From the abstract-
Studies examining caffeine's effects on cognitive, psychomotor, and affective functioning of children with ADHD were reviewed.
For children with ADHD, caffeine was more effective than no treatment in decreasing impulsivity, aggression, and parents' and teachers' perceptions of children's symptom severity, and more effective than placebo in decreasing hyperactivity and teachers' perceptions of children's symptom severity, and in improving executive functioning/planning.
Methylphenidate was more effective than caffeine in decreasing hyperactivity, aggression, and parents' and teachers' perceptions of children's symptom severity, and in improving executive functioning/planning and motor coordination.
Amphetamines were more effective than caffeine in reducing hyperactivity, impulsivity, aggression, and teachers' perceptions of children's symptom severity.
Combining caffeine and stimulants to produce moderate levels of arousal may produce better functioning than caffeine or stimulant drugs alone.
Research is needed regarding caffeine's effects on the functioning of adolescents and adults with ADHD.

Also for adult AD/HD a study on soldiers found that:
The use of caffeinated compounds appears to be largely diffused among ADHD military soldiers and it could improve cognitive performance, despite the negative repercussions on sleep.
According to our data, in fact, caffeine may positively influence specific areas of memory and attention, but still the definition of its mechanism and target specificity remains unclear.

It also works on the rats they bred to serve as test subject to be the closest approximation of someone with AD/HD.
The spontaneously hypertensive rat (SHR) is generally considered to be a suitable genetic model for the study of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), since it displays hyperactivity, impulsivity, poorly sustained attention, and deficits in learning and memory processes. Converging evidence suggests a primary role of disturbance in the dopaminergic neurotransmission in ADHD patients and in SHR, and in addition, some studies have also demonstrated alterations in adenosinergic neurotransmission in SHR. In the present study, adult female Wistar (WIS) and SHR rats received caffeine (1-10 mg/kg i.p.) 30 min before training, immediately after training, or 30 min before a test session in the spatial version of the Morris water maze.

So basically it seems that caffeine works but really isn't the best possible treatment.

So basically it seems that caffeine works but really isn't the best possible treatment
Thank you, commie! Exactly what I was saying. It's not a treatment, it's an aid. Because not everyone is privileged enough to be able to afford medical care and to get on medication. So whatever helps!

Caffeine works until you build such a tolerance that your now drinking 3 reigns a 8 hour shift. And you need atleast 1 to keep the headache away and be a mite bit functional.

Back