To That One Guest - II

TTOG....You just placed your order 10 minutes ago. No, I will not contact our OPU person for you so they will bring up your order ASAP. You can take your laziness and go find the items yourself.

Bonus Karen points to the guests who do this when they have larger orders. Had a woman bitching out our front end last week about her pickup order almost immediately after it dropped in epick. It was a 16 DPCI 27 items order. And, as they inevitably always do, started bitching at me because I couldn't just give her all the items when I brought them up. Sorry, I have to scan them all into hold first. That's how it works.

I understand guests who get upset on those occassions that the system backs up and there is a long delay between when they ordered and when the batch drops into epick. There's nothing I can do about it, but I understand. However, the confirmation email says the order will be ready within two hours for a reason.

Me: "Sorry ma'am, we are completely out of that item"

Guest: "Your app says you have 10!!" (frantically waving phone in my face that is showing results for a completely different store)

OR

Me: "Sorry ma'am, that's an online only item"

Guest: "Your app says you have it!"

Me: Points to where it says "Online - Not Sold In Stores"

We had one guest who ordered from Wall Mart and sent husband to pick up....10 minutes before close. He had to wait, but we picked it for him. He was so happy he got a Redcard and returned the next day and bought 350 bucks of health food products!

Had one guest who said she had an OPU, I couldn’t find anything under her name so I asked for her order number. “I don’t have one.” “You never got a confirmation email?” “No I didn’t get anything.” “Well I have nothing under your name and I can’t do anything unless I have at least your order number. If you never received any sort of email or anything I can’t really do anything.” “Well I put my card info in! I paid for it!” I didn’t really know what to do so I just stood there while she was looking on her phone and she showed me “HERE’S MY ORDER.” I looked and all she was showing me was a bunch of stuff in her cart, that hadn’t yet been purchased. “This is just stuff in your cart you haven’t purchased it yet.” “Yes I have! I put my card details in!” “Did you get charged? Did you press submit???” “YES!” “Well since it’s still in your cart and you never got any sort of email confirmation of the purchase I don’t think you actually bought it.” After a few more minutes of arguing about it I finally got her to “re-order it” (🙄) and she goes “do I really have to wait all over again for my order? I already waited the two hours.” “Well since you didn’t actually order it until just now, yes.” “WELL THAT WAS A RIDICULOUS WASTE OF TIME” like omg not my problem you’re too dense to order something online properly

Had one guest who said she had an OPU, I couldn’t find anything under her name so I asked for her order number. “I don’t have one.” “You never got a confirmation email?” “No I didn’t get anything.” “Well I have nothing under your name and I can’t do anything unless I have at least your order number. If you never received any sort of email or anything I can’t really do anything.” “Well I put my card info in! I paid for it!” I didn’t really know what to do so I just stood there while she was looking on her phone and she showed me “HERE’S MY ORDER.” I looked and all she was showing me was a bunch of stuff in her cart, that hadn’t yet been purchased. “This is just stuff in your cart you haven’t purchased it yet.” “Yes I have! I put my card details in!” “Did you get charged? Did you press submit???” “YES!” “Well since it’s still in your cart and you never got any sort of email confirmation of the purchase I don’t think you actually bought it.” After a few more minutes of arguing about it I finally got her to “re-order it” (🙄) and she goes “do I really have to wait all over again for my order? I already waited the two hours.” “Well since you didn’t actually order it until just now, yes.” “WELL THAT WAS A RIDICULOUS WASTE OF TIME” like omg not my problem you’re too dense to order something online properly

Why not just go pick it out and buy it. Laziness at its finest

Oh I would’ve wasted their time right back. “Oh no! Call target.com to get it sorted out”

Why not just go pick it out and buy it. Laziness at its finest
I've seen a couple notifications on from the app lately offering gift cards for OPU orders specifically. It may have been one of those situations. Doesn't excuse the stupidity of not having placed the order though.

I've seen a couple notifications on from the app lately offering gift cards for OPU orders specifically. It may have been one of those situations. Doesn't excuse the stupidity of not having placed the order though.

Yeah, the app is giving specific offers for OPUs and drive ups. Doesn't excuse the guest stupidity for sure. Really fun to carry dog food out in freezing rain because the app offered a drive up only deal on it. Thanks, corporate. :mad:

My personal favorite when they're picking up and I'm trying to find the order by last name and its not coming up, so I ask them if there are any other last names it could be under. Then they swear up and down that there is no possible other last name. Then five minutes later when they finally find the email, go to order details, so I scan the barcode and repeat the last name to them they're like "oh, that my maiden name..." It drives me insane!

I had one like this last night. No order info, no email, nothing on my end. She left to go purchase the items off the floor.

My personal favorite when they're picking up and I'm trying to find the order by last name and its not coming up, so I ask them if there are any other last names it could be under. Then they swear up and down that there is no possible other last name. Then five minutes later when they finally find the email, go to order details, so I scan the barcode and repeat the last name to them they're like "oh, that my maiden name..." It drives me insane!
I've had them come up under middle names or the second half of a first name, like Anna Jo Smith would sort as Jo, not Smith.

I had a guest wanting to buy a gift for a baby shower. She had grabbed a display and brought it up to purchase, the alert dings "I'm sorry ma'am I can't sell this to you."
"What, why?"
"Because it's a display item and I'm not allowed to sell it."
"But there's nothing wrong with it."
"I understand that, but I'm still not allowed to do that."
"But it's the only one you have in the store."

thinking Yes, and there's a reason for that :rolleyes:

"Can't you just let us have it? It's the only thing we came in for"
"I'd love to sell it to you, but I can't I can call my manager and we can see if a nearby store has one."
"But then how do I know that they won't have just displays, too?"
"You'll have to verify that with the store beforehand."

One GSTL call later, and a new store location

"Well, I'll go to the other store, but I don't want to, I don't understand why I can't just buy that one.. "

Head, meet register for the rest of the day.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I had a guest wanting to buy a gift for a baby shower. She had grabbed a display and brought it up to purchase, the alert dings "I'm sorry ma'am I can't sell this to you."
"What, why?"
"Because it's a display item and I'm not allowed to sell it."
"But there's nothing wrong with it."
"I understand that, but I'm still not allowed to do that."
"But it's the only one you have in the store."

thinking Yes, and there's a reason for that :rolleyes:

"Can't you just let us have it? It's the only thing we came in for"
"I'd love to sell it to you, but I can't I can call my manager and we can see if a nearby store has one."
"But then how do I know that they won't have just displays, too?"
"You'll have to verify that with the store beforehand."

One GSTL call later, and a new store location

"Well, I'll go to the other store, but I don't want to, I don't understand why I can't just buy that one.. "

Head, meet register for the rest of the day.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Next time tell the guest that while the display looks fine, it’s built with much worse materials and is NOT safe for the baby.

Next time tell the guest that while the display looks fine, it’s built with much worse materials and is NOT safe for the baby.
This. The reason "display only" is printed on it is because it was built to be a display and not only doesn't meet safety standards it's actually unsafe to put a child in. It infuriates me when people take the car seats and strollers off the display shelf and put their kids in them to see the fit, they don't care that they are risking their child's safety because they want to be lazy and don't want to look up the dimensions.

@StargazerOmega I am actually really concerned and a little frightened that you would be so willing to sell dangerous-to-a-baby display equipment that you actually tried to ring it up.

I am actually really concerned and a little frightened that you would be so willing to sell dangerous-to-a-baby display equipment that you actually tried to ring it up
I don't think they did attempt to ring it up. From how I read it, they instead offered to call the GSTL so they could check a different store.

I don't think they did attempt to ring it up. From how I read it, they instead offered to call the GSTL so they could check a different store.
Correct. Though I did ring it at first because there was no sign that said it was a display, nor was the guest aware that it was display only until after the register alerted that it couldn't be sold. I called a GSTL immediately after the alert popped, yet the guest still insisted that I just let them have it, even after I told them that it wasn't safe just because it was the only one we had.

Last edited:
TTOG Who has her toddler standing on the loading area in SCO so he can jump around while scanning for you: When I politely ask you to not let him stand on there, don't whine and tell me that ALL of the cashiers let him do it. You're not holding him, heck your back is to him while you're bagging. When I state it's a safety and liability issue, please don't whine to your husband (who is oblivious to what's going on), "But everyone thinks it's so cute". I don't care, we don't encourage our guests to stand on our equipment. What business does?
Cute isn't going to help you if your kid falls and splits his head open. Don't worry about showing how cute your kid is to everyone and just be a parent, ok Snowflake.

So, here's a sticker for your kid. Thank you and enjoy your evening.

Ttgo-

So kid comes up to me and is like -

"Hit or miss"

I look at the kid and like "what?"

He explains "hit is pound it" and miss is "fake out the pound it with a dab"

So I pick miss...we pound it and he moves on.

Then comes this girl 5 minutes later....

She asks me the same thing... hit or miss. I Select hit and tell her that her buddy was just here.

No sooner does this guest walk over and goes " She's trying to work. Leave her alone"

"They are fine" I say. Not destroying the store or stealing 🤷‍♀️

The guest rolls her eyes and leaves

TTOG: You come up & ask me for a breakfast item we don't carry.
I tell you "No, sorry. Just what we have in the pastry case."
You then ask for THREE other items that we. don't. carry.
Each time I point to the case & reiterate just what we have IN THE CASE so you look it over for a few minutes before wandering off.
Idiot.

TTOG: You come up & ask me for a breakfast item we don't carry.
I tell you "No, sorry. Just what we have in the pastry case."
You then ask for THREE other items that we. don't. carry.
Each time I point to the case & reiterate just what we have IN THE CASE so you look it over for a few minutes before wandering off.
Idiot.

You mean this isn't McDonald's???

Back