To That One Guest - II

Our Cafe was a money maker back when we offered breakfast.
Had LOTS of regulars from our strip center who came in for biscuits & hash browns but corp decided it wasn't enough.
I think they also considered it competing with our Starbucks counter even tho there was PLENTY of traffic for both.

75% of the customers are pigs, not guests, customers. I see it in a local Target, shopping carts just dumped in the lot even with a corral 50 ft away. Lazy fucking animals. I had a pleasant shopping experience in a local Aldi Market this afternoon. I bought a few small items, went to a register and there was a nice young mother with 3 little girls and 2/3rds of a shopping cart full of groceries. Kids ranged in age from about 2 yrs old, another one about 3 and one about 5. The kids were super well behaved. Mom asked me if I wanted to jump ahead since I had a few items. I said no thanks, I'm not in a rush and (you) have your hands full! The cashier was very pleasant and incredibly fast. Aldi has good fig newtons and nice customers.
Aldi has the right idea with shopping carts. You need to put in a quarter to release the shopping cart and you only get the quarter back if you return the cart to the other carts or someone else gives you a quarter for it. Amazing what people will do for only 25 cents more than they're not willing to do otherwise. I guess, even if someone is lazy enough to leave the cart in the middle of thr lot, someone else will always be willing enough to use it themselves to earn a quarter. Stop and think. If all stores did this with shopping carts, how much time would be saved for their employees to do their own work and not have to fill in for the inadequacies of lazy people.

I might be an asshole myself because sometimes I think about what it would be like to go to Aldi with a roll of quarters and make it rain shopping carts in the parking lot while screaming, "BE FREE!"

Oh well. Bucket List.

Our Cafe was a money maker back when we offered breakfast.
Had LOTS of regulars from our strip center who came in for biscuits & hash browns but corp decided it wasn't enough.
I think they also considered it competing with our Starbucks counter even tho there was PLENTY of traffic for both.
Our cafe is dead. I just assumed it's for tms, so they can have a nice lunch without having to bring something in. It has a Pizza Hut sign. Everytime we go in I want to go over and ask them where the pizza buffet is.... but my wife stops me... every time. If it wasn't for her, I'd be an even bigger burden on society. I try to be as useless as possible so everyone else can feel as helpful as possible. It's a gift.

Brown bag, save a ton of gelt. Some of our old TM's bitched they had no pocket cash...well of course if you piss away $$7.00 a day of food avenue garbage.

We lost our Pizza Hut a month ago. I am not sad. I've heard some guests that are unhappy, but they aren't so bent up to go to the actual pizza hut that is two miles away.

We're in a strip center & get a LOT of the employee traffic despite other eateries nearby.
The electronics store guys will clean up on pizzas & wings, the girls at the nail salon will pick up pasta & salads, the retirees will get hotdogs/popcorn/sodas, the moms will grab pizza & Icees for the kiddos, afterschoolers will go for the pretzels, etc.
Starbucks gets the commuters & breakfast crowd.
Both areas do plenty of traffic.

TTOG: I don't know what possessed you to place an OPU for 143 items late last night, but go fuck yourself. Walking into that shit this morning was a nightmare. Seriously, go fuck yourself. We had to break all the rules about how to put stuff to hold because you ordered so much shit. When you came to pick it up, it took guest services 8 carts to load it all up. Go fuck yourself. No, I really mean it, go fuck yourself. And after you do that, do it again.

TTOG: I don't know what possessed you to place an OPU for 143 items late last night, but go fuck yourself. Walking into that shit this morning was a nightmare. Seriously, go fuck yourself. We had to break all the rules about how to put stuff to hold because you ordered so much shit. When you came to pick it up, it took guest services 8 carts to load it all up. Go fuck yourself. No, I really mean it, go fuck yourself. And after you do that, do it again.
Was it a big sale? Maybe for a good cause?

TTOG:Thank you for giving us your business! Tell your friends. 😊

Was it a big sale? Maybe for a good cause?

Not a big sale. According to our SD TM who processed the order, the guest was just stocking up and plans to do so again in the future. She wants to minimize how often she has to go out and possibly be exposed to the Corona virus so she's ordering everything online. The order was for a bunch of groceries and essentials so her story fits even if it is crazy.

If this is just the coronavirus scare (which I still don't understand) and she normally has no problems being out and about around other germs (so no immune issues) I'd be damned tempted to be the jerk that finds someone with a cold and ask them to smear snot all over the exterior packaging.

Not a big sale. According to our SD TM who processed the order, the guest was just stocking up and plans to do so again in the future. She wants to minimize how often she has to go out and possibly be exposed to the Corona virus so she's ordering everything online. The order was for a bunch of groceries and essentials so her story fits even if it is crazy.
143 items is a big sale to me. Even if everything cost a buck, that's still 143 dollars.

143 items is a big sale to me. Even if everything cost a buck, that's still 143 dollars.

I took sale to mean things were on sale. But, even by your meaning, we're not necessarily talking big. Just in terms of raw dollars, you'd rather fulfillment have a one item order for a $143 item than a 143 item order for items that cost a buck. The one item order would take 1 TM a couple of minutes to fulfill. The 143 item order is going to take multiple TMs awhile to fulfill.

As it ended up we had approximately 100 other items that needed to be picked for OPUs by about 9:15 yesterday morning. While that's not an everyday occurence it's routine enough that I could have done it all myself. But, that's kind of a soft ceiling in that, depending exactly what the items are of course, much more than that just isn't possible. That means the store has to find some other way to deal with the one large order. Given that it's February and we have no payroll to speak of so we are already running on a skeleton crew, we can't exactly be thrilled because that means other things simply will not get done. We like lots of OPU units ordered. But, we like them spread out over a long enough period of time that they can be managed by the person assigned to do them. Gigantic orders result in having to divert payroll from other areas. That fucks the store more than the sales dollars help us right now.

Does your store call out how many items are in a pick? Our SFS TLs do that, and if they get above 10-15, they'll jump in to help.

I can't imagine hearing "that's a 143 pick" over the walkie. I think, at my store, that might have literally all the TMs on the floor (SFS, grocery, style, GM) picking.

Back