To That One Guest - II

Had a Chad come up to Guest Service to purchase some hand sanitizer (we've been keeping it up at Guest Service and enforcing the one per household rule) and he wanted two bottles, I told him only one, it's one per household. He then tells me he'll purchase his one hand sanitizer, leave the store then come back in and purchase another one because he's a different guest. I tell him no because he's still the same person (seriously what?), so he then goes on to ask if there's a loophole he could exploit (and yes there is, send in another family member we haven't seen, but I'm not telling Chad this) and I tell him no. He tells me yes there is, he just has to go through another team member to get the sanitizer. I look him dead in the eye, my smile disappearing and tell him "well the hand sanitizer is only kept up here and I'm the only person up here for the rest of the night so good luck getting someone else." He decided he didn't want our small travel sized MTM bottles anyway and left.

I had a Karen give me a real Karenizing as I was shopping at a local supermarket. I snagged an 8 pak of T-Paper along with my other stuff (regular stuff not hoard stuff) She snarled and with a shitty attitude said "where did you get that?" I smiled as the Captain frequently does with Karens and said "magic". Her expression was suitable for framing. The Karen Bob haircut, the glistening nails and the bleached teeth were all aglow with shitness. I got my Voortman Oatmeal cookies and told her to have a nice day!

She was like a Volley Ball Karen. You know the type, tall, angular, probably captain of the volley ball team at the community college. A bit loud, pushy, aggressive, Type A, actually Type B+ not svelt like a smooth talking true Type A. The grimace face rather than a friendly and intelligent question or conversation. No match for The Captain.

TTOG who wants to hoard all the travel size packages of Chlorox wipes - yes, I know they're small, but you see the sign with the quantity limit, right? You taking 10 means a bunch of people get zero. And you getting in my face about "harassing" you and getting snotty with me because I'm not a manager isn't going to win you any good will points, you know? Oh, and thanks so much for leaving packages on the floor and in the baskets on either side, even though they're full of other product. Wow, you really do know how to win friends and influence people. Go be a jerk somewhere else.

TTOG: I am so glad that I don't work at Target anymore because that meant I could point out your idiocy directly. Almost no margarine, but plenty of butter (20-25 packages), I know because I grabbed one. As soon as I turned my back you yelled to your wife "Hon, they don't have butter!" I doubt that all those packages of butter vanished into a black hole as soon as I turned my back. So quite loudly while slowly walking away to my daughter "Yeah, there's actually plenty of butter here. Did you see all that butter? Yeah, that's a lot more than I expected." Maybe actually look before speaking?

Ironically the 5 or so tubs of margarine left (all on the very top shelf) were Land o Lakes 8oz and cost more than the MP 1 lb butter packages.

I saw a random act of kindness from a guest today. The sole lane open had quite a few people, SCO had a long line. So long that I opted for the full lane even though I didn't have a lot of items. Apparently someone in the SCO line had spoken of running late for her doctor. When a spot opened the woman at the front of the line told her to take it and opted to wait for the next one. That jumped up the woman with the doctor appointment by three people, but those people didn't even give a dirty look. It was really nice and a touch of class, that the woman gave her the spot in line and the other people waiting weren't bothered.

TTO old fart: You bitched at my barista because their fingers 'were too close to the lip' & you didn't want their fingers in your cup.
I tossed the cup & took over making your latte as you continued to bitch from behind your mask.
I handed off your drink while you STILL railed about cup contamination as you walked over to the stripped-down condiment bar.
You then ranted about having to wait until we could hand you your two Splendas & a stir stick.
I replied that we were closing as of today so you wouldn't have to worry about it any more.
Never have I wished this virus on someone so bad.

Kudos to the big beefy vet who finally told you to stuff a sock in it.

Many CaptainKudos to you folks who work in the Starbucks! Nerves of steel. I'd last 3 minutes tops. BTW I stopped by our local Target today for some Ovaltine. Old people love Ovaltine. The entire paper products aisle was stripped clean. NOTHING. This was about 4pm.

I will admit that I absolutely hate that most baristas hold the cups by the rim or way too close, as well as touching the drink opening when attaching the lids - which is why I stopped getting coffee out years ago when I got my Keurig. Still no excuse to go on and on about it, especially if you were making it right for him.

Baristas hold cups by the rim to keep the lid half on that way when they hand it to you; you grip it around the cup, squeezing the lid off and dumping contents upon yourself. It's a tried a true system. Seriously though, when handing a cup to someone, sometimes there isn't enough cup height to have both people holding the sides. An alternative is to sit it on the counter; either in store or at drive thru and have customer grab it from there; unless customer is in a vehicle that hugs the ground like a low rider. Then you might have to resort to handing it down; in which case the rim hold is perfect for handing something down, whereas a side hold would mean having to tip it down to hand it down, risking spilling.

I've spent enough time on this topic to know that there's nothing else to do right now other than spending time on this topic. F you corona V. F you very much.

Sounds like bull. Farther down the bottom of the cup means it's harder to squeeze it to deformation, allowing a firmer grip. And there's not really much need to apply that much pressure anyway, especially if you encircle with your fingers rather than have only two points of contact. There's nothing wrong with putting a drink on the counter instead of a direct handoff. I'm sure drive thru is more challenging (though how much more challenging than fast food soda cups?), but this wasn't drive thru.

It is absolutely possible to remove a cup, fill it with coffee, and attach a lid without touching any point that may touch a guests's lips. I've seen baristas do it and it's a thing of beauty. There was this one woman at the coffee place in our local mall, she was a true pro and the only one I would order coffee from. Granted, she did put it on the counter and not hand it to me, and that is perfectly fine. I saw one woman who worked there who used to put her whole damn finger in the cup when making coffee. I have dumped whole coffees because I could not bring myself to drink them after seeing how they were manhandled.

You would think that food places would train their people not to touch cups where the guests will be drinking. It's just common sense to me.

My wife and I are stuck on the Nitro Cold Brew but the lid has too big of a hole. It should be more like a sippy cup sized hole. We have to drink half the thing to keep it from spilling when just tapping the brakes at the end of the Starbucks drive-thru.

Back