To that one guest

Status
Not open for further replies.
TTOG thanks for testing my limits. I’ve read a lot here and heard from others at my store about being personally offended but thought I had thick enough skin to keep brushing off silly complaints and comments.
Today though, we were making small talk about X University on the jacket you were wearing (which happened to be my alma mater). After hearing that your son was recently accepted at X and planned to attend next year, I enthusiastically congratulated you (and him) and gushed some about what an amazing time he will have there.

I’m just going to assume you had a shitty day and didn’t mean it when you then VERY loudly started telling your son that maybe he should consider other colleges so he doesn’t end up “working as a cashier at target like other X grads”.

I don't care if the website says we have it in stock, you didn't see any on the floor, I'm telling you we don't have any on the floor or in back, so why do you need a TM to help you find some?

TTOG thanks for testing my limits. I’ve read a lot here and heard from others at my store about being personally offended but thought I had thick enough skin to keep brushing off silly complaints and comments.
Today though, we were making small talk about X University on the jacket you were wearing (which happened to be my alma mater). After hearing that your son was recently accepted at X and planned to attend next year, I enthusiastically congratulated you (and him) and gushed some about what an amazing time he will have there.

I’m just going to assume you had a shitty day and didn’t mean it when you then VERY loudly started telling your son that maybe he should consider other colleges so he doesn’t end up “working as a cashier at target like other X grads”.

OMG that is so incredibly rude.

I have to agree with everyone else.
That is fucking rude.

To all guests: stop asking me where all the carts are. You just walked past like 50 in the parking lot
“They’re outside”
“Can you grab one for me?”
*literally in GS processing defects* “....no I can’t”

I've had people literally force me to back outside as a Cart Attendant to dig out a fucking kid stroller cart thing from behind masses of carts on extremely busy days. Last year's Q4 was something else for me, never again. This Q4 hasn't been horrible, thank God.

I understand we should have the kid carts in and filled at all times but it's just impossible to have even a single kid cart in on busy days. Fuck every guest that asks anyone to "go grab a cart for them" it's different since I'm the cart attendant but if it's anyone else in the store, nah fam. Especially when it's like 3 degrees and you didn't dress to be going outside during your shift.

YES, YES, YES. Every single guest wanted to know why the $10 didn't come off of their total. Yet none of them thought to question why I had handed them a $10 gift card.:confused:
Just curious why they have to question why you handed it to them. It should be you that lets them know what it's for. I say this because (as a guest) before I knew we get a gift card for spending a certain amount of money, a cashier randomly gave me the gift card while ringing me up. I never use coupons or anything like that so I didn't know why she was giving me anything.Naturally, I asked her why and she told me. I figured it could only be applied to a future transaction but I asked just to be sure. She gave it to me in the middle of ringing me up, why wouldn't I feel like I could use it on my total for this transaction. Not everyone knows what is going on. It doesn't mean they are idiots. Please don't assume, just let people know what you are giving them and keep working. I don't think it takes much to say what it's for.

This next long piece of post is not directed towards you specifically:
Sorry if this comes off salty, I just read way too many other posts and rants about how stupid guests are but some of the responses the tm's say they gave the guests make me question if it's really the guest that is the issue. I have worked serving people most of my life so I know what it's like to be confronted with a horrible experience. I know some people are rude as all hell. Nothing you do can make them happy. But those customers are few and far between. If a tm is noticing multiple bad issues with guests, they might need to check what or how they are doing things and tweak it to make their service better.
What I know as a customer myself is that really good customer service can be hard to find. I have always really liked Target, but to be honest I have never had a really great customer service experience at Target. I have at Walmart, but not Target...and that's really sad. It's usually pretty average, which is fine, Ill take it because I like all the stuff Target has. And it's usually a clean place. I have had really bad cashiers at Target. As a guest I've heard tm's talking negatively about other tm's and Target in general. Super unprofessional. It doesn't matter that we don't get paid well , if you sign up to work in retail, you are signing up to give a proper customer service experience. This helps sales, sales helps you get your paycheck. If you can't stand people, guests, customers, idiots then don't work in a human heavy line of work.

Just curious why they have to question why you handed it to them. It should be you that lets them know what it's for. I say this because (as a guest) before I knew we get a gift card for spending a certain amount of money, a cashier randomly gave me the gift card while ringing me up. I never use coupons or anything like that so I didn't know why she was giving me anything.Naturally, I asked her why and she told me. I figured it could only be applied to a future transaction but I asked just to be sure. She gave it to me in the middle of ringing me up, why wouldn't I feel like I could use it on my total for this transaction. Not everyone knows what is going on. It doesn't mean they are idiots. Please don't assume, just let people know what you are giving them and keep working. I don't think it takes much to say what it's for.

Sorry if this comes off salty, I just read way too many other posts and rants about how stupid guests are but some of the responses the tm's say they gave the guests make me question if it's really the guest that is the issue. I have worked serving people most of my life so I know what it's like to be confronted with a horrible experience. I know some people are rude as all hell. Nothing you do can make them happy. But those customers are few and far between. If a tm is noticing multiple bad issues with guests, they might need to check what or how they are doing things and tweak it to make their service better.
What I know as a customer myself is that really good customer service can be hard to find. I have always really liked Target, but to be honest I have never had a really great customer service experience at Target. I have at Walmart, but not Target...and that's really sad. It's usually pretty average, which is fine, Ill take it because I like all the stuff Target has. And it's usually a clean place. I have had really bad cashiers at Target. As a guest I've heard tm's talking negatively about other tm's and Target in general. Super unprofessional. It doesn't matter that we don't get paid well , if you sign up to work in retail, you are signing up to give a proper customer service experience. This helps sales, sales helps you get your paycheck. If you can't stand people, guests, customers, idiots then don't work in a human heavy line of work.
Personally I always say this card can be used on your next purchase BUT the gift card should always be handed immediately otherwise the cashier will forget

I found it humorous that I would hand the guest the $10 gift card (right after I scanned the coupon that they had given to me) and they would just take/accept it, no questions asked. My usual spiel is "Here's your $10 promotional gift card." However, when their total didn't decrease by $10, the vast majority of them did question that. The guests didn't question why I had just GIVEN them 10 bucks, but they sure did question why their total didn't decrease 10 bucks. For whatever reason, they just were not reading the coupons. Give them money, they blindly accept it, don't reduce their total, and they want to know why.

Personally I always say this card can be used on your next purchase BUT the gift card should always be handed immediately otherwise the cashier will forget
And this makes sense. I'm happy all the cashiers have not forgotten to give me the gift card. But all of them did forget to tell me when I could use it or what its for. Simply telling them that it could be used on the next purchase like you do is perfect. Simple and effective :)

I found it humorous that I would hand the guest the $10 gift card (right after I scanned the coupon that they had given to me) and they would just take/accept it, no questions asked. My usual spiel is "Here's your $10 promotional gift card." However, when their total didn't decrease by $10, the vast majority of them did question that. The guests didn't question why I had just GIVEN them 10 bucks, but they sure did question why their total didn't decrease 10 bucks. For whatever reason, they just were not reading the coupons. Give them money, they blindly accept it, don't reduce their total, and they want to know why.
Understood. I hope I didn't come off snarky in my post to you, i just noticed this happen with me and wanted a cashier's perspective on the deal.

TTOG: Thanks for being so understanding when I showed that the cheaper price on Target.com was for a different item. I totally understand where the confusion came from (ps4 bundle w/ BFII dlx vs ps4 bundle w/ reg BFII). Thanks for being so patient while I offered to look in the back for the one you found because my mydevice said we had one in the back while I had to deal with 100 guests along the way. Thanks for being so understanding and kind when I came back and said we didn't have any and the inventory count for the back was wrong. I felt bad for getting your hopes up only to crush them a couple times so I printed out a raincheck for you even though you didn't think for it. I hope you'll be able to use it ASAP!:D

TTOG: Thanks for not being rude when I found that the "get $20 off when you buy 3 Amazon Fire HD8s" was an online only deal, and still buying them anyways

TTOG: Thanks for saying I was doing a great job handling the line of people at the boat when we were slammed and had the only other electronics TM at the time running around helping other guests

Other than today just being a little hectic and maybe a a few guests being forgettably inconvenienced, today wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be! Now if only more people just took the damn service plans and red cards... :p

TTOG from yesterday: Did you really need to have us bag your gifts for 5 people right at the counter...? At least you helped a little bit... and at least it wasn't busy cause it was opening and I can't think of anyone who'd want to shop at a mall at 7am... I mean... I guess... I probably would've (politely) declined had the LOD not helped out as well.

TTLOD: This isn't something we normally do, right? I mean, I'm all for helping the guest and making a great guest experience, and I get it was deader than a graveyard at the time, but I feel like this was a little excessive...

If one more guest shoves their phone in my face when they come in when their order pickup is cancelled but they’re whining because they really think Target is going to charge them, not give them their items and then just not refund them, and I try to tell them it’s a pending charge not an official withdrawal, and they go “NOOOOOO LOOK I WAS CHARGED” all waving their phone in my face I’m gonna lose it. Lol

TTOnot guest: Yeah, I can think of several reasons why you would need baby formula at 11pm on Christmas Eve. But next time come in yourself to get it. Don't send a friend/relative in with no further description than "it's purple". Only the fact that it was baby formula is why I didn't chase the guest immediately to the front during the walk-through. I do hope your baby got the right stuff, but there was no reason why someone had to stand like a zombie in front of the baby formula, trying to figure out which one the baby needed and then when she called you, all you said was Similac and purple. You could have either come yourself, or if you had a broken leg you could have taken a picture of the can and texted it or at least accurately write down the words on the can and give it to her before sending her to Target.

I literally had a guest yesterday who unloaded all their stuff on the counter. Like the spot past the belt, where the full bags go. At first I moved some of the stuff to the belt hoping they’d take the hint but no.

Have you not seen anyone check out, ever??

I literally had a guest yesterday who unloaded all their stuff on the counter. Like the spot past the belt, where the full bags go. At first I moved some of the stuff to the belt hoping they’d take the hint but no.

This has happened to me a couple times too!! Or they pull all the way forward and hand you everything one by one from the left. Like it just kills my rhythm lol

I had someone who starter doing that at the grocery store I work at because he had gotten distracted and I told him it would be easier for both of of us he put his stuff on the belt..

TTOnot guest: Yeah, I can think of several reasons why you would need baby formula at 11pm on Christmas Eve. But next time come in yourself to get it. Don't send a friend/relative in with no further description than "it's purple". Only the fact that it was baby formula is why I didn't chase the guest immediately to the front during the walk-through. I do hope your baby got the right stuff, but there was no reason why someone had to stand like a zombie in front of the baby formula, trying to figure out which one the baby needed and then when she called you, all you said was Similac and purple. You could have either come yourself, or if you had a broken leg you could have taken a picture of the can and texted it or at least accurately write down the words on the can and give it to her before sending her to Target.

Uhhhhh...I'm guessing someone is having a REALLY bad time. Seriously annoying from an employee standpoint, but this one would have more sympathy from me than normal. Maybe they are just dumber than a box of rocks, but there are times when the sleep-deprivation/hormones/etc. of early parenthood short circuits the brain big-time, and I can see how common-sense things like taking a pic just wouldn't occur to someone (BTDT). Combine that with whatever craptastic situation would have them sending a friend for formula at 11pm on Christmas Eve...yeah. Sorry you had to be the one to deal with it, though!

I instinctively want to answer infants calls because that is something I at least know something about, and most other TMs don't have kids (or their kids are grown).

Uhhhhh...I'm guessing someone is having a REALLY bad time. Seriously annoying from an employee standpoint, but this one would have more sympathy from me than normal. Maybe they are just dumber than a box of rocks, but there are times when the sleep-deprivation/hormones/etc. of early parenthood short circuits the brain big-time, and I can see how common-sense things like taking a pic just wouldn't occur to someone (BTDT). Combine that with whatever craptastic situation would have them sending a friend for formula at 11pm on Christmas Eve...yeah. Sorry you had to be the one to deal with it, though!

I instinctively want to answer infants calls because that is something I at least know something about, and most other TMs don't have kids (or their kids are grown).

What got me is when the woman said it wasn't Enfamil Gentlease so I grabbed Similac Alimentum as I knew that was very popular, she read it over the phone to her friend who said it wasn't it....but then told the woman with me that it was made by Similac, it was purple, and it was for allergies. Arrgghhhhhh!

And yeah, it did trigger my sympathy, which is why I stood there a few minutes trying to figure out which formula was needed rather than rushing her off. Babies need to eat.

Arrrghhhh! Indeed. Especially since I'm quite certain you were right--we didn't use Similac. but usually a brand + color is all you need (I'm pretty sure that's by design by formula companies--trying remember "Alimentum"? fuggedaboutit. I could usually at least remember a color even if I couldn't otherwise find my ass with both hands.). And Alimentum is the Similac hypoallergenic formula.

This is why this place rocks--you can be super nice to the people in the store then come & vent here. :)

I will weigh in as a person of middle age who never once worked retail/fast food prior to last year.

As a customer, even as an 18 year old on my own for the first time, I always knew read the damn labels. Don't assume something is necessarily in the proper place, read the label near it and determine if it's the proper thing. Most places put the UPC on the label. Target puts the last 6 numbers of the UPC on the label. Either way, easy to match up and verify if the right thing is in the right place. If there's a sale, I knew to read the fine print to make sure what I was looking at would match the sale.

Beyond that, I knew that "please" and "thank you" went a long way. And I also knew, as an introvert, it's hard to slap a smile on your face all day long when in the public eye. So I was forgiving of overhearing an employee bitch about a problem customer. I didn't mind a meh employee as long as I got the help that was needed. We're all human. And even introverts gotta eat, and I'm not the only one on the planet, so some people are simply less "I'm your new buddy!" and more coolly competent.

So yeah, I don't have any sympathy for the idiots who don't freaking read the labels and signs and act like the information was not available in an easy-to-learn format. If as a naive 18 year old I knew how to make sure that I was matching up a gallon of milk to the right price, if as a 20 year old sleep deprived new mother I could figure out best deals on diapers and baby food, if as a 14 year old on a church trip to Canada I could figure out their labels well enough to price what I wanted and figure out the exchange rate to boot, then there isn't a single customer out there who is literate that gets a pass on not reading and just assuming when it comes to purchasing items. There is absolutely no excuse. Especially since I was doing all that when there were no cell phones so no one (other than those with the geeky calculator watches) had a calculator to do the math for them. And I know I'm not anything special, I'm not overly smart or overly worldly or overly educated or overly anything, so I don't have special skills to do this, I have the same mental tools at my disposal that every other person on the planet has.

And I sure as heck don't have any kind thoughts to those who think that retail workers should be lobotomized to always be perfect and smiling. If prior to retail work I could empathize with someone whose professional life is always on display and not get any level of upset unless given downright shitty service or no service, then I think the rest of the world can too. If prior to retail work I made it a practice to go to the manager when I felt someone was doing a good job because I recognized that "good" did not equal "stellar" but should still be recognized (I scared the hell out of a few dozen servers and managers before I realized I should specify I wasn't planning on complaining), then I think that other people should be able to see the same. If I can look at my last non-customer service job with a critical eye and see how there were days I felt great and went well above and beyond, days that I did what was expected and not a lot more, days that I bitched my heart out to sympathetic coworkers, and bad days that I totally failed expectations, then I think I can totally forgive a retail worker for having those same exact type of days.

And as far as the gift cards specifically, #1 if given immediately they don't get forgotten by the end of the transaction, #2 if given immediately the guest can't reasonably claim they didn't get it if the guest took possession of it prior to loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back