To that one guest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was always told $20 but even if it's less than that it has to be reasonable. Coupons it's $5 or more.

I was told it depends on the price of the item and to just use my best judgment...if it sounds "reasonable" to go ahead...there was never a "price limit" mentioned...

To the guest who wanted to bring back one of her medications because she got home and realized she really DIDN'T need it...Sorry, but it's not MY fault YOU don't know which medications you are taking. I SPECIFICALLY asked you when you called if you needed the other one and you said "NO". I then asked you AGAIN when you picked them up if those were the ones you wanted. I don't care if you paid $60 or $0 for it, we can't give refunds on medication once it's left the pharmacy (although we will sometimes if it's in the original packaging, but that's VERY rarely!)

To the two guests ( different ones) The first one thought she could sneak by and hide a necklace in a shoe box. She of course said oh I don't need that.... Of course you don't need it you were planning on stealing it. I had another guest who thought she could ticket switch on clothes. How dumb do people think we are?? I swear....

I was told it's $20. And it's the same with No Barcode items (above $20 needs DPCI). I think manually entered coupons have to have a GSTL override above a certain amount though.

this is the practice at my store.

i think that this info is in the training guide for new cashiers and for the front desk.

however, as a new cashier (or trainee) it is impossible to remember everything...

We're looked at as though we are stupid if we ask about a price adjustment of less than $20.

Oh, coupons are $5.00.

However, you can get around that by doing two coupons... if you've got a $6.50 coupon, then do it as two separate coupons.....a $3.00 and a $3.50. Not best practice, but sometimes "practical" is better than practice.

It is not always easy to flip on your lane light and then wait for 2 minutes before your GSTL or GSA comes to put their supervisor number in.

When doing Fix a Mistake coupons, I encourage cashiers to add up the coupons into 1 big coupon before sending it through. Since POS (so fitting...) doesn't let you add multiple manufac coupons and stuff like that, and you have to ring them through separately.

For big coupons over $5 I prefer cashiers not doing a $3 and $3.50, so I can come over and verify the integrity of the coupon since it is high $$ amount.

Dear coupon lady,
If you're going to come into the store with your HUGE notebook filled with coupons please don't do it 20 minutes before we close and then walk up to the register right at 11pm when the store closes. We have things we need to do after we close other then ring you up for a half hour and argue with you about why your coupons cannot be used after your subtotal hits $0.00 and you still owe sales tax.
Thanks.

Dear coupon lady,
If you're going to come into the store with your HUGE notebook filled with coupons please don't do it 20 minutes before we close and then walk up to the register right at 11pm when the store closes. We have things we need to do after we close other then ring you up for a half hour and argue with you about why your coupons cannot be used after your subtotal hits $0.00 and you still owe sales tax.
Thanks.

Not a cashier so I have to ask what is probably a stupid question.
So even if the coupons are enough to knock out the sales tax, you still have to pay it even though you aren't spending any money?

Yep. If you look closely at many coupons, discounts, offers, it states that the buyer is responsible for any applicable tax. The only time I've seen items free w/o tax is foodstuffs that aren't taxable to begin with.

Yep.

Also, if the coupons are taking over 50%, and most definitely over 70% of the total price off, it is best practice to scrutinize the coupons very carefully! Stay calm, hit your Backup button, and call your supervisor over to help verify coupons. Make sure they have right items + sizes, and quantities. Some guests will try and use their huge stack of coupons to overwhelm the cashier into hitting "accept anyway" when they shouldn't be. Expired coupons should not be allowed in any circumstance no matter how they try and rationalize it.

I know some people here think its not worth the time to deny coupons since we get reimbursed (for manufac coupons only though), but if the guest is grossly misusing coupons it is FRAUD, and Cashiers+GSTL/GSA are responsible for making sure they are being used properly.

Dear coupon lady,
Thanks.
These people come at that time ON PURPOSE! I've seen them comment about it on couponing forums (and made my views of what they're doing CRYSTAL clear)! They think you will be so "ready to leave", you WON'T argue and will just "let anything go". I tried to explain that they're LESS likely to get your cooperation BECAUSE you're cranky that they're doing it, but they don't think so.

Btw, these are also the type of people who see nothing wrong with clearing off a shelf of something they don't WANT or NEED, but is a "moneymaker"...who cares if the rest of us actually NEED Advil for our headaches, they're making $.05/bottle dammit!

Yep.

Also, if the coupons are taking over 50%, and most definitely over 70% of the total price off, it is best practice to scrutinize the coupons very carefully! Stay calm, hit your Backup button, and call your supervisor over to help verify coupons. Make sure they have right items + sizes, and quantities. Some guests will try and use their huge stack of coupons to overwhelm the cashier into hitting "accept anyway" when they shouldn't be. Expired coupons should not be allowed in any circumstance no matter how they try and rationalize it.

I know some people here think its not worth the time to deny coupons since we get reimbursed (for manufac coupons only though), but if the guest is grossly misusing coupons it is FRAUD, and Cashiers+GSTL/GSA are responsible for making sure they are being used properly.
I love the people who think the $30 off coupon is eligible for the $39.99 razor.

Or $4 off coupon is applicable to the $3.50 item.

Lol, sorry guests, but not accepting either because IT IS NOT THE CORRECT ITEM BEING PURCHASED. Cripes, common sense!

I have a feeling most of the newer cashiers are screwing up with coupon redemption. :/

To that one guest who cleaned out pretty much our entire supply of Missoni items yesterday singlehandedly, just to turn around and sell them on eBay: why are you so selfish?? Couldn't you at least have left a little bit for others???

To that one guest who cleaned out pretty much our entire supply of Missoni items yesterday singlehandedly, just to turn around and sell them on eBay: why are you so selfish?? Couldn't you at least have left a little bit for others???

They don't care. It's all about how much money they can make & bragging about it to their clique. Many of the ones I saw doing that were wealthy housewives looking to supplement their allowance.

Yep.

I was trained to asks guests if they have coupons before I begin scanning items. If they did, I would then ask them to hand me the coupon for each item I scan and as they do I would check it.

These people come at that time ON PURPOSE! I've seen them comment about it on couponing forums (and made my views of what they're doing CRYSTAL clear)! They think you will be so "ready to leave", you WON'T argue and will just "let anything go". I tried to explain that they're LESS likely to get your cooperation BECAUSE you're cranky that they're doing it, but they don't think so.

Btw, these are also the type of people who see nothing wrong with clearing off a shelf of something they don't WANT or NEED, but is a "moneymaker"...who cares if the rest of us actually NEED Advil for our headaches, they're making $.05/bottle dammit!

At my store it's less likely to work because, unlike during the day when there are multiple cashiers and things to be done by the GSA or GSTL. At the end of the day after close, all the registers are closed, the one cashier is taking care of that guest, the store is empty and the GSTL is sitting at the register waiting to close it. All eyes are on them, and nothing is going to slip.

To the guy who came back later to apologize after your wife damaged an item & refused to pay for it because she "can't afford that": you were a class act. Too bad your wife isn't. I hope you set a good example for your kids because she won't.

We have a guest who comes in quite often, we'll call her "Coupon Lady." She buys everything using coupons and then returns it for full cash value the next day. Because of her, I tell all of my cashiers to double check all of the coupons that are being used. P&G will only let you use a limit of 4 like coupons per transaction. The reason I mention this is because if the coupons aren't being used correctly, the store will NOT get reimbursed. The coupon companies have the right to deny reimbursement if the product wasn't purchased. It is definitely worth the time to deny coupons if you think of it that way. Besides, it makes my day when I can tell her that we can't accept her coupons because of such and such reason...it's just one less return I'll have to do the next day. :)

To the angry tax-exempt lady: I don't care if you bought it on clearance at another store, it's not on clearance here so I'm not giving you a 75% discount! How many people have to explain to you that DIFFERENT STORES CLEARANCE DIFFERENTLY? (me, another cashier, GSA, Hardlines TL, ...) Even working for a non-profit organization won't get you a discount, hence the TAX exemption document in your hand.

To that one guest who said our store is discriminating because we didn't accept her 3 coupons for make-up..maybe if you bought the right kind it would have worked..duh!! and don't cry discrimination to me woman i can give you an earful on how i think.

We have a guest who comes in quite often, we'll call her "Coupon Lady." She buys everything using coupons and then returns it for full cash value the next day. Because of her, I tell all of my cashiers to double check all of the coupons that are being used. P&G will only let you use a limit of 4 like coupons per transaction. The reason I mention this is because if the coupons aren't being used correctly, the store will NOT get reimbursed. The coupon companies have the right to deny reimbursement if the product wasn't purchased. It is definitely worth the time to deny coupons if you think of it that way. Besides, it makes my day when I can tell her that we can't accept her coupons because of such and such reason...it's just one less return I'll have to do the next day. :)

My favorites are the ones who buy the products with high-value coupons (lately it's been Crest whitestrips, for example and then come to guest service the next day after having "lost their receipt" and return the stuff for full price by looking it up it on their card. I realize Target gets reimbursed for these but it's still extra work to reshelve those items day after day! It just seems dishonest to me.

At least those items can be restocked. What ticks me off is HBA or food items that go red when returned & have to be tossed just because they used a coupon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back