To that one Team Member - II

When our store had more people than zebras, then we had constant walkie chatter asking locations. That's not how my store works today. Often there is no tm in an area, so directing guests to locations is necessary, and everyone is trained on zebras.

I'm in charge of the music while we unload. I do this so we're not listening to dead air for three hours. My team members have given me suggestions over time for the work playlist (Weird Al, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc). I'm grateful because I want it to be OUR playlist, not mine.

They're also really cool and we usually tend to be on the same page when shit goes wrong.

You guys are the reason I haven't rage quit yet. Thank you.

That is just damn nice.

Our store has a stereo, the unload guys have full permission to unplug our SFS tape machine to plug in music or the huge fan.

When Style used to answer the phone (which we thankfully don't anymore, hahaHA! But I digress...) if someone said "I'm looking for a certain item" I would immediately ask what item or what department and transfer that call. I was burned a few times asking on the walkie and then having the customer pepper me with follow-up questions, so nope, not looking on the zebra, "Let me transfer you to that department." If it's a guest in front of me, it depends on where I am in the store, what the item is, and if I know there is someone here who most likely has the answer and is closer to the product.

Now, that the service desk is the operator, anyone asking for a particular item is absolutely transferred to the appropriate department, especially since we shouldn't be getting the calls in the first place if everyone is signed into the system. No one at the desk has the availability to go back and look for an item for a caller.

Look ETLs if you take me off OPU for SFS I'm blowing off the entire shift. Fuck this, I hate SFS

Last edited:
What's the difference between the two?
OPU - order pickup, drive-up. The guest comes to the store.
SFS - ship from store. Pull product out of the backroom or off the floor and pack it up for delivery to their home/work.

not sure how the process is different for the TM doing the picking.
At my store, we do opu and pick/pack SFS simultaneously. Theres only ever one or two of us on hand at a time for the entire workload. I can say there is a definite difference in how they feel as you do them, at least for me. Opu is more fast-paced running around in circles and the orders generally (but not always) consist of similar items. Sfs is usually several orders a batch, can take longer, and then you pack it versus bagging it up. So...idk

End user, I understand, but since both involve someone running around with a cart grabbing the ordered items, I'm not sure how the process is different for the TM doing the picking.

Different deadlines. SFS has to finish picking and packing by 4:30 I believe. OPU has 30 minutes after every order drops to finish it. The different deadlines make for a different pace that the TM goes and a different thought process in how the work is done. Basically, SFS is chaos, but a controlled chaos that you can slowly chip away at. OPU is just chaos. Complete chaos. Maddening constant chaos of things that have to get done RIGHT THE FUCK NOW. But, some of us thrive off of that and that's why we love it.

Okay, cool, thanks for the explanation. Yeah, I can see that packaging for shipping would be a royal pain.

End user, I understand, but since both involve someone running around with a cart grabbing the ordered items, I'm not sure how the process is different for the TM doing the picking.
OPU is simply giving order to guest, either at GS or drive up. In my store, it has nothing to do with picking the order.

To the team member responsible for ordering bags: Why didn't you do your job and order more bags for the front end? We were completely out of medium-sized bags yesterday and had to hand out the large bags to all the guests. Hopefully, we get more as soon as possible.

To the guest service team member: Sorry to hear that you'll probably be quitting at the end of October. I didn't really know all that much about your second job working at the post office and that due to conflicts of scheduling, you won't be able to take a LOA from November until it slows down at the post office. Thank you for all your hard work and dedication to guests and guest service in general and I wish you the best in future endeavors.

To the beauty consultant who hangs out at the service desk for at least 20 minutes (the whole time I was on my break plus before & after) and says she doesn't have anything better to do when a cashier hints that gee, you're spending a lot of time up here: Um, yes, you're supposed to be in your area providing guest service, pulling your one for ones, and I guess your area is completely zoned? Ug, she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

TTOCorporateSupport: I was so irritated when I found out Corporate was going to be lurking around during our overnights, but it turns out that was wasted energy. Thank you for not only coming out from Minnesota and bringing all of your knowledge, but for being a genuinely awesome person! You had some great stories and you were more than patient with my constant questions (personal and professional - I told you right off the bat I’m nosy lol). You are welcome to come back any time!

To that same beauty consultant who hangs around the guest service desk, do you really think no one sees you texting while you're on the floor? No guest immediately nearby at the time so it's not like you can claim you were looking up something online for a guest.... How long until you're fired?

TTO Infant Hardlines DBO: Do you remember how I asked you earlier this week to please audit your diaper backroom wall because I was finding more errors there? Do you remember saying how you would do it Thursday because there wasn't a truck? Well, you apparently didn't do it Thursday. Fucking 12 instances of all items scanned in that area alone today. Looking for one single package of diapers was four of them. For one of them I had to pull a ladder out of an aisle halfway across the backroom just to scan what was in location and hit All Items Scanned. This put me behind and I made my goal time on the next order by only 21 seconds. For the next order I had to call your ETL to jump in and help. She didn't look too terribly pleased when I told her why I had to ask for help. Sorry, I tried to be nice, tell you about the issue, and let you fix it. But, you best get your shit right because your ETL will be watching.

Oh, don't tease. Let's hear how statement A led to statement B.
I was moving a pallet of repack to wrap and one fell off the pallet onto the floor next to the bailer. I can't squat/bend well enough to pick them back up. I see NTM in the backroom and ask if he can help lift a box of repack. NTM follows me to the pallet by the bailer and I explain what I need help with. The conversation went somethinh like NTM: I don't think I can do that. Louie: All you have to do is squat and lift the box, I'm just not flexible enough. NTM: I just don't think I'm allowed over there by that thing. Me: Do you mean the bailer? NTM: Yeah, I'm only 17 and during orientation i was told i can't operate it. Me: Yeah, you can't operate it until your 18, but your still allowed to stand next to it and help lift a box.

Back