Archived Union members?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I wanted to start a Union at my store, how would one go about doing so?

People in my area are having meltdowns over the absolute disaster of FSA/HSA's replacing actual health insurance, and there's a good chance most TMs would be for creating a Union at this point.

Good luck! I really hope you can change something and put a dent in spots pocketbook.

Check with the local retail workers union.
You should be able to find the info on the web.
It's going to be a long hard slog.
Unfortunately, anger doesn't always translate into organization.
More power to you.
Good luck.

Can they fire you for wanting to organize? I know they could be sly and "performance" you out....

I hope to see More Targets attempt to unionize and succeed. It's cute watching corporate thrash around like a bunch of babies every time uninonizing comes up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your in for a fight. You can expect every dirty trick in the book to be thrown at you along with a few year long remodel that requires the store to be closed. No way Target can afford big bonus at HQ and paying TMs a living wage. And you know they are not giving up those bonuses.

Here is a link to other union thread:
http://www.thebreakroom.org/showthread.php/86-Your-thoughts-on-a-union
Spot is not union friendly.
Here is a link to the ny store that tried to get a union. It got closed & renovated.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/22/target-valley-stream-closing-union_n_1371114.html
Not only closed & 'renovated', everyone had to reapply & 'certain' TMs were denied. There was also an article about one of the union drive organizers getting termed.

And since Target is a billion dollar company, they can get away with murder pretty much.... ****ing piece of **** corporate lowlifes....

Looks like they're going to drag it out even further over the whole "the National Labor Relations Board isn't legit" argument.

Last edited:
This statement may be redundant, but I don't want any of US to be unnecessarily made redundant, so...

Do very thorough research. Get as informed and educated as you can. Do what you think is really & genuinely the right thing for you to do. Discreetly!!!

Both at Spot as well as a former workplace I was apparently overheard saying the "U" word...

Though it did not have any immediate, dire, or lasting ( ? ) ramifications, I noticed at both places that all of a sudden, leadership/management was very anxious to get all of my thoughts, feelings, and opinions about the world we live in and life in general...Whereas before all they cared about was, well...you can guess the rest...

It's really irritating how hard they fight against unions. The fact that people want to unionize and are merely even talking about it is all they need to know, and it speaks for itself. It says "THINGS ARE F***ING BAD. HELP ME" to anyone not making 6 to 8 figures per year. There are plenty of other industries with happy workers that don't want to unionize. And not all of them are "skilled labor" jobs.

Last edited:
Ever been to an IGA? I have never seen a grocery store where the employees are so helpful. Prices were the same as any other place. That's what service unions create: well-paid, helpful employees whose rights have been defended. The mega-corporations like Target and Walmart make a ton of money for the board of directors at the expense of the people who are collecting rhat money. This is why they fight unions. They don't want over-paid, content workers.

I was IBEW for 10 years, leaving wasn't because the union was evil it was because they had no work to offer because of the economy falling on itself in 08' and I couldn't sign the book and wait 2 years. Now don't get me wrong, there are some very slimy unions out there full of guys all with the same job title collecting a massive salary and dipping into their members pensions. Most of the damage unions did they did to themselves in the 70s and 80s, but for the most part its different now. Target is terrified of the TM having any sort of power or say whatsoever, and the good ones really are the backbone of the stores in my opinion. I don't know what our store would do if 3-4 certain people on our flow / BR team all left at once. The anti union bit in the orientation video was typical corporate slander and it is easy to do because unions have a shady history, but the bottom line was I got paid a good wage to do a tough job with real benefits.

I cannot wait to get out of this dog**** corporation, not much longer

Last edited:
I told myself I was going to keep shopping at Target even though I quit, but I decided to just boycott the bastards. I ****ing hate the company so much, I'm not going to give them a dime of my money.

Ever been to an IGA? I have never seen a grocery store where the employees are so helpful. Prices were the same as any other place. That's what service unions create: well-paid, helpful employees whose rights have been defended. The mega-corporations like Target and Walmart make a ton of money for the board of directors at the expense of the people who are collecting rhat money. This is why they fight unions. They don't want over-paid, content workers.

never had a chance to shop there....

Am in a fairly steadfast anti-union state...

Funny, the state I live in noe USED to have IGA, about 10, 15 years ago or so, and even then , they were in rural/suburban areas...so, me being without my own vehicle, it was out of the question for me to work or shop there often...

If they still exist out there, more power to 'em...

While I'm thinking of it ( this may belong on an entirely other thread, so I am sorry in advance ), does anyone have any thoughts on the Aldi Corporation?

Funny, the state I live in noe USED to have IGA, about 10, 15 years ago or so, and even then , they were in rural/suburban areas...so, me being without my own vehicle, it was out of the question for me to work or shop there often...

While I'm thinking of it ( this may belong on an entirely other thread, so I am sorry in advance ), does anyone have any thoughts on the Aldi Corporation?

Aldis is great! Have one by me, they pay cashiers 13+

They have really good prices on produce.

Aldis is great! Have one by me, they pay cashiers 13+

They have really good prices on produce.

Yes, and they have to do damn near everything when you are there...kind of like what we do, but with less people in the store (if possible).

I worked for an IGA for many years and knew about many in the area. None of them were unionized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back