Archived Unionize

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a hypothetical question after seeing what Walmart employees are doing; if Target employees were to unionize, would you be interested in joining as well? Why or why not?

Just a hypothetical question after seeing what Walmart employees are doing; if Target employees were to unionize, would you be interested in joining as well? Why or why not?

Unfortunately, with the government being so hostile to unions I do not believe there would be a chance for them to be effective. Target would just "close the store for a remodel" and get rid of anyone who was serious about unionizing.

Talk to me when we get a union friendly administration in the White House. Haven't had that since NIxon, and he was reluctant with that support at best, so really it's since LBJ was in office. Until then, there's really no reason to make the attempt because you're just going to get fucked by big business with the approval of government in the attempt to organize.

“If I were a worker in a factory, the first thing I would do would be to join a union.” FDR

We're a long way from that and laws have been changed drastically to make unionizing difficult. If you want to join a labor movement against corporations, legal unionization isn't your best option. Join the IWW.

It would depend on what the union offered. I was in an actor’s union and a stripper’s union. Pluses and minuses. Know the affiliates. Sometimes sympathy strikes are expected. That can get difficult.

Unfortunately, with the government being so hostile to unions I do not believe there would be a chance for them to be effective. Target would just "close the store for a remodel" and get rid of anyone who was serious about unionizing.

What if people from different stores across different cities/regions came together? I mean, technically, we do have an “in,” what better way than to find the stores in our districts with the highest sales goals and speak to their team members? All while spreading the word to smaller stores.

And hell, why stop with Target? Why not a nation-wide corporate retail union?

It would depend on what the union offered. I was in an actor’s union and a stripper’s union. Pluses and minuses. Know the affiliates. Sometimes sympathy strikes are expected. That can get difficult.

Do you mind talking about your experiences with these unions? I’m genuinely interested.

Do you mind talking about your experiences with these unions? I’m genuinely interested.
Really grateful for my husband’s union. Union dues are negligible, health benefits are excellent, cost of living raises, step raises, longevity raises, job security, sick time that doesn’t max out. The newest benefit is that our family can register for online college courses for free! Planning on getting a second masters. Plus, your employer can’t screw you, contracts are negotiated.

From another thread:
I'm a union steward and in my workplace, I am very pro-union. However, unions are not always the answer.

1. Unions only have the power agreed upon both sides in their Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), Master Agreement (MA), or Contract. Call it what you will. While unions dither over contracts, you can be fired. Picket? Well, since the union does not have a contract, they do not have any representational rights for you. Walk out and picket? Well, as far as the employer is concerned you have abandoned your job and can easily hire and replace you. Do you really believe that Target would roll over and agree to a contract as you seem to describe?

2. I've looked over many CBAs, MAs and contracts. Usually stewards can only be present during discipline meetings. In those instances, you can ask for representation and usually the meeting must wait for them to be present or rescheduled. You can ask for a certain steward, but most contracts state ANY steward will do, so if a steward is available but not the one you requested, tough.

3. Unions usually can't do shit for you for conduct problems. Mouth off? Too bad. Bad work history/constantly calling in and/or not showing up? Tough.

4. Seldom do unions prevent passing of costs of health insurance off to employees. As bad as everyone thinks their premiums are, you only pay the tip of the iceberg. The corporation picks up the vast majority of it - which is why they try to reduce the number of employees who qualify for said benefits. Corporate survival. Sad but true. Unions cannot stop them.

5. Unions cannot control "business needs", including staffing, pay levels, etc. Overtime issues, advancement, and things like that would have to be negotiated.

6. Union at an impasse with management? OK, now it likely becomes an FLRA issue. Going before those boards can take years.

Still want a union?
Thanks
Bikebryan

What if people from different stores across different cities/regions came together? I mean, technically, we do have an “in,” what better way than to find the stores in our districts with the highest sales goals and speak to their team members? All while spreading the word to smaller stores.

And hell, why stop with Target? Why not a nation-wide corporate retail union?
Why stop at retail, lets just go flown communist.

More money taken out of your check for union dues. You will have by into the union insurance. Usually not better or cheaper.

Target probably has 7 figure lawyers on their side to fight it and depending on your state government youd likely lose. It's not like the old days where the majority of people owned the wealth, corporations own it now and pay the most state taxes so you're destined to lose. Not worth the fight, just find a new job?

My grandfather was an organizer for the IWW.
One big union.
Organize everybody.

red%20card.jpg

Target needs a union for the simple fact that the team members have no advocate. The company abuses team members ignorance of the laws surrounding, ADA, safety, unfair and illegal labor practices, etc.

I still believe the first step is organizing a one day work stoppage at the store level to generate media attention about all the issues.

Again, unions are only as good as the agreement between them and management. Look at what is happening with the VA vs. AFGE. VA walked in and immediately wanted to strike 42 of the existing articles in the current Master Agreement, basically stripping the union of just about all representational rights (many guaranteed under Title 5). They have not budged on that proposal. Trump's EOs last year tried the same thing and the courts overturned them. Regardless, VA still restricts Title 38 employees (pro staff or medical professionals) from taking any duty time for representing workers, even though OPM guidelines say that is not legal. IF they can find time, they must do so on their time off with no pay. This is the current political climate.

One of the things people who aren't involved with unions don't understand is the importance of negotiations.
If you have a good union and you are active in it so as to make your needs heard, when it comes time to negotiate your contract, the union will stand up for you.
Don't assume the union will do what you want, don't assume they are going to handle things.
You have to be involved.
Go to the meetings, tell them what your priorities are, make sure you are heard.
Yeah it is extra effort but that is the whole point of having a union in the first place so your voice can be heard.
Use it.

One of the things people who aren't involved with unions don't understand is the importance of negotiations.
If you have a good union and you are active in it so as to make your needs heard, when it comes time to negotiate your contract, the union will stand up for you.
Don't assume the union will do what you want, don't assume they are going to handle things.
You have to be involved.
Go to the meetings, tell them what your priorities are, make sure you are heard.
Yeah it is extra effort but that is the whole point of having a union in the first place so your voice can be heard.
Use it.

Then all the old-timers with more power and say get what they want, at the expense of new employees. Then you get in situations where the new people that get hired, are walking into shitty contracts. Something has to change, but it doesn't involve the union.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back