Unpopular opinion: You need to work.

Many TM's at my DC are seemingly on LOA faking COVID. In a single day, we had over 100 call outs on my shift alone. High numbers of call-outs each day for the preceeding week. What does this mean? An eternal backlog and higher expectations for those of us who continue to work. COVID is very real, but unless you've got an underlying condition or are in the age bracket in which the virus is an incredible threat, come to work. Be prompt. And please, for the love of God, do. your. job.
I imagine the prevalence of employee LOA is comparable at stores and other DC's. This is frustrating, is it not?

Last edited:
If 100 people are calling out to avoid going to work at your Target you have bigger problems than wondering if they are really faking having COVID
The percentage of employees who are testing positive for COVID is currently quite low. It's cold and flu season. It's also the holiday season. What an incredible opportunity to take time off of work without consequence..
When slow season rolls around, they'll wonder why they were let go. I have no pity for the lazy.

Many TM's at my DC are seemingly on LOA faking COVID. In a single day, we had over 100 call outs on my shift alone. High numbers of call-outs each day for the preceeding week. What does this mean? An eternal backlog and higher expectations for those of us who continue to work. COVID is very real, but unless you've got an underlying condition or are in the age bracket in which the virus is an incredible threat, come to work. Be prompt. And please, for the love of God, do. your. job.
I imagine the prevalence of employee LOA is comparable at stores and other DC's. This is frustrating, is it not?

I hear you. Frustrating for sure. But if they do have a fever, or are feeling even slightly sick, it's best for them to stay home or if by the off chance that they do have Covid (no matter how mild), the thing can cause an outbreak for you guys

I called out twice in 7 years, reaction to bad picnic food once and a car problem the other. I liked working at The Dog with the old regime. Cupla bucks and good exercise.

LOA and calling out, two different things. If someone is on an approved LOA for whatever reason, that's between them and Target.

Calling out can be a different story. If someone truly isn't feeling well, again for whatever reason, they should definitely call out. But my husband works for a grocery store DC and the call-out rate is terrible there too. Upwards of 50 call-outs a day are not uncommon.

My situation is a bit different. My mom is 60 and immunocompromised and we live in the same house. I took an LOA from March-June, and decided to take a chance and come back. It's been about 6 months now and with the surge happening again I'm about to take another LOA. If I were living alone, I'd be working. But the risk is just too high for my mom.

I agree though, the callouts are out of control. Either take an LOA or show up.

I agree, call outs are incredibly frustrating. However, if Target took that stance on COVID it wouldn’t end very well for them. I get that this is a place to vent, we all need to. It’s just interesting your immediate thought is that the people on LOA are faking and/or lazy. Sure people are abusing the policy, but this pandemic has caused a lot of otherwise reliable workers to make some tough decisions.

At the end of the day the reasons people are on LOA are between them, their doctor, and the Reed Group. If they are lying, that’s on them and not for anyone at the dc level to sort out. People cannot be held accountable for time lost due to LOA. If there is even a chance it could be perceived that way or people are being retaliated against, it’s going to lead to a legal nightmare. There are many people within their 90 days that have been on multiple LOAs or excused time due to doctors notes and they will not be let go. If people have attendance issues they will weed themselves out regardless of COVID.

I agree, call outs are incredibly frustrating. However, if Target took that stance on COVID it wouldn’t end very well for them. I get that this is a place to vent, we all need to. It’s just interesting your immediate thought is that the people on LOA are faking and/or lazy. Sure people are abusing the policy, but this pandemic has caused a lot of otherwise reliable workers to make some tough decisions.

At the end of the day the reasons people are on LOA are between them, their doctor, and the Reed Group. If they are lying, that’s on them and not for anyone at the dc level to sort out. People cannot be held accountable for time lost due to LOA. If there is even a chance it could be perceived that way or people are being retaliated against, it’s going to lead to a legal nightmare. There are many people within their 90 days that have been on multiple LOAs or excused time due to doctors notes and they will not be let go. If people have attendance issues they will weed themselves out regardless of COVID.
Yeah it’s not like I want to go the next month+ without being paid. It was a very tough decision to make, but I put the health of my family first.

LOA and calling out, two different things. If someone is on an approved LOA for whatever reason, that's between them and Target.

Calling out can be a different story. If someone truly isn't feeling well, again for whatever reason, they should definitely call out. But my husband works for a grocery store DC and the call-out rate is terrible there too. Upwards of 50 call-outs a day are not uncommon.
What I have been seeing is the same employees calling out again and again and needing to get tested again and again. There is a pattern.

Have had multiple at my store recently, One of them called out like 4 times in the past month saying he was sick but was just random days and not in a row. I wish management would fire the guy because he’s a lazy cart attendant and front of store attendant for the most part but I doubt they will cus the guy personally knows our regional manager which is why he got the job in the first place. Again this company seems to not give a fuck about certain employees and their departments. If I was a manager, That should be automatic red flag and if caught lying then automatic disciplinary action or fired.

Imagine thinking this way about a part-time job

We receive notifications, sometimes multiple per week, of Covid cases in the facility. Typically, the notifications are of a single employee at a time. Without a doubt, it is spreading. I'll assume the anti-maskers are the ones hardest hit, in which case they were playing with fire in the first place. Considering the amount of employees in the DC, it truly is not widespread and I hope it stays this way. But as @Frontlanegirl has noted, many of the call-outs and LOA's seem to be repeat offenders. It's foolish to cry wolf when there might come a day that someone truly believes they have Covid. OM's have their eyes on these idiots.

Back