Archived Virginia Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, I'm impressed they were able to organize a strike despite no Union.

Isn't it kinda weird though, if THAT many people had issues with the STL, and it's all pretty serious issues, then how could nothing be happening with this STL? Isn't that unusual? Doesn't Target normally shuffle people around in cases like that? Since when has Target ever been shy about firing people?

Have none of these people heard of the hotline? I don't think they have because they're not calling for corporate firings

I hope it works out for them. Hopefully if word spread corporate will have no choice but to give him the can.

Have none of these people heard of the hotline? I don't think they have because they're not calling for corporate firings

One article I read has one of their TMs saying they tried going through Target HR. Could mean many things, really, but calling the hotline is one of the possibilities there.

Love to have more info on this,the store seems to be operating normally as it would be anyway as even if every tm went on strike,Target would replace them with people from other stores immediately,there seems to be about six people in that picket line and there is no way we can know if they even work for the store.Please don't get we wrong,I know that Target has serious issues with the way they treat their people but this doesn't look like something that even Target would put up with.One way or another HRZone is right and I am sure that heads have already rolled by now.It would be nice to hear from tms from that store or nearby ones to have more info.

...New Rivers Workers Power an independent local organization seeking to build political power for workers and their allies.
Folks I believe we have a winner.

They are not "on strike" as they are not union workers. They have walked out on their jobs and could get summarily dismissed for abandonment in Virginia. Let's be honest and call it what it is.
Where do you get your information from?

Good on them for standing up even though they will lose their jobs (or their hours). But unfortunately for corp to really lose sleep over it it would have to go viral or become an expensive lawsuit. And the only thing viral right now its the hell that is Harvey. Sad to think if they guy really is a scum bag they may not even fire him they could just put him in another store or give him a very nice retirement package.

It would be cheaper to fire the STL. Regardless if he's guilty or not, knowing Target, I'm surprised that hasn't happened.

They are not "on strike" as they are not union workers. They have walked out on their jobs and could get summarily dismissed for abandonment in Virginia. Let's be honest and call it what it is.

Many non-union employers do not believe that their employees can strike -- and if it happens they tend to react in illegal ways, like threatening employees or even discharging them. The National Labor Relations Board, in a recent decision, reiterated that non-union employees, in fact, do have the right to strike.

Facts of the Case: In Amglo Kemlite Laboratories, Inc., employees at a non-union lighting manufacturer stopped work one morning to protest the lack of wage increases. The employer directed them to return to work or leave the premises immediately, but they remained inside the facility for several hours. The employer threatened to discharge half of the workers. After several days of protesting outside the plant, most of the workers eventually returned to work. However, the employer told 22 employees that there were no jobs for them because work was being moved to its facility in Mexico. The employer was then charged with violating the National Labor Relations Act by interfering with the employees’ rights to engage in protected concerted activity.

Shawe Rosenthal LLP - Publications - Non-Union Employees Have the Right to Strike

Va is not a union state.
Virginia is an employment-at-will state; this means the employer may terminate any employee at any time, for any reason, or for no reason. As a general rule, therefore, the employee has no right to challenge the termination. There are a few very limited exceptions.

I got a message from someone who is a TL at the store and they say it's a little overblown. Very few people actually are on "strike" let's be honest with bills to pay most of us wouldn't be able to hold out very long

Who messaged me? Well you know hr and confidentiality and whatnot.

Va is not a union state.
Virginia is an employment-at-will state; this means the employer may terminate any employee at any time, for any reason, or for no reason. As a general rule, therefore, the employee has no right to challenge the termination. There are a few very limited exceptions.

Look, I can copy and paste too,

"..here are a few very limited exceptions. For example, an employee may not be discriminated against or terminated because he has filed a safety complaint or exercised his rights under OSHA law."

Sure, Virginia may be an at-will state, this isn't a clean cut issue if there's a valid complaint on the STL since the complaints are directly about TM safety from inappropriate conduct. There's aren't enough details to really come to any conclusions, but I don't think it would be wise to fire all the employees who went on strike if Target dropped the ball on a pretty standard HR issue. That's begging for a lawsuit. But who knows, maybe the TMs are completely wrong and they're just trying to get out of doing the zone.

From what I remember reading from one of the testimonies, they did that and nothing was done. HR complaints against him never get filed or he just harasses employees. If all those testimonies are true, dude is a real piece of shit and so is the DTL covering him.

EEOC has to get complaints from workers at the store & do an investigation that can take up to 45 days. The strike is a a union group with 1 seasonal hired team member who complaint on social media & not with the hotline or EEOC.
OHSA regulations:
There are currently no specific OSHA standards for workplace violence.

However, under the General Duty Clause, Section 5(a)(1) of the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970, employers are required to provide their employees with a place of employment that is “free from recognized hazards that are causing or are likely to cause death or serious harm." The courts have interpreted OSHA's general duty clause to mean that an employer has a legal obligation to provide a workplace free of conditions or activities that either the employer or industry recognizes as hazardous and that cause, or are likely to cause, death or serious physical harm to employees when there is a feasible method to abate the hazard.

An employer that has experienced acts of workplace violence, or becomes aware of threats, intimidation, or other indicators showing that the potential for violence in the workplace exists, would be on notice of the risk of workplace violence and should implement a workplace violence prevention program combined with engineering controls, administrative controls, and training.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back