Archived VM TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still havent heard one peep about this position at my store or anyone being introduced as a VM TL in huddles. In the end most of what they are doing IMO could be accomplished by just simply giving the SL team more hours but what do I know I work in Pfresh where we also have no hours to how corporate wants things done. If I did Market would look way better. We are barely green by like .2 and still top 10 in the group. If thats not indicative of how badly target screwed up Pfresh IDK what is. When my store is better than 50 something other stores but barely making green for the year...what do those other stores look like..I dont want to even know

Ive only worked at target for a few years now, mainly just Pfresh and Market, and every year just a little more gets trimmed and trimmed until one day you look at the schedule and go...WTF happened to all the hours we had. Just a few years ago we had TLs in almost every department. Aisles that were PTM were actually dealt with and not just left to rot looking horrible. Outs are at an all time high. Not sure if that is somehow outside of the stores control or not but I walk down some aisles and see 5+ outs within a second

And even with the hours given we(the store) could still get most of it done. But then theres the fact that because of cut hours more time is spent now backing up for cashier, pharmacy, grabbing carts since no cart attendant now, or helping guests on the floor because NOBODY is within a block away from them and it seems like guests need more help than ever before finding stuff. Or being pulled to do Mcclane Candy for instance or other various projects that pop up

Last edited:
Also...anyone else suspicious of the ratio of vmls out of the new board members? Starting to feel big brother breathing down my neck...

Target's reaching out for new blood for the VML job.... we're all from different retailers with little info on Target, as an employer. Since the position is new, there's not many details on it.... so we have to do research. When you do a search, this page pops up.... and who better to ask than a group of anonymous EXPERTS who KNOW Target?

Target's reaching out for new blood for the VML job.... we're all from different retailers with little info on Target, as an employer. Since the position is new, there's not many details on it.... so we have to do research. When you do a search, this page pops up.... and who better to ask than a group of anonymous EXPERTS who KNOW Target?
Ratio of VML at one per store versus seasonal hiring which is 2-10 a week per store and 90% of the new posters have been VMLs is just sketchy to me. Add in the knowledge that ETL, STL and corporate read and watch this board and I wonder if they are directing people to sign up here. I spent years being paid to post in forums. My conspiracy instinct in forums is a tad quick. Especially when this is meant to be anonymous so we can't tell who people are to protect ourselves.

Not saying you all aren't real VMLs, but there's no way to know. And the only way to tell is to wait out possible changes in the position that reflect whats being posted.

Ratio of VML at one per store versus seasonal hiring which is 2-10 a week per store and 90% of the new posters have been VMLs is just sketchy to me. Add in the knowledge that ETL, STL and corporate read and watch this board and I wonder if they are directing people to sign up here. I spent years being paid to post in forums. My conspiracy instinct in forums is a tad quick. Especially when this is meant to be anonymous so we can't tell who people are to protect ourselves.

Not saying you all aren't real VMLs, but there's no way to know. And the only way to tell is to wait out possible changes in the position that reflect whats being posted.

I dont find it that shocking. Most seasonal TMs or new Tms in general probably dont really give a crap so they dont go looking

I dont find it that shocking. Most seasonal TMs or new Tms in general probably dont really give a crap so they dont go looking
After reading some of the responses, it wouldn't surprise me if not "all" of them weren't "real" VMTLs. Honestly....nobody is THAT "gung-ho" about Target as a new-hire.

I assure you I'm here for information only and no one put me up to this. Haha. Like it's been said before... It's a new position and the managers in the stores don't know a lot about it. So here I am... Seeking anything else I can before I start next week. I foing this website by googling "target visual merchandising lead" while looking for some more details.

I'm coming into this new position with no degree, but with my 10 years of actual hands on experience. I'll be new to target but not to retail.
It may not be perfect but I have no set in stone expectations. I just like to have a good time while getting the job done. And I like to work, like down and dirty work. If I want it done... I CAN do it.

True. But honestly, I've been with a company for over 11 years. I've just recently been feeling the need to move on and Target just so happened to reach out to me. So while seriously pondering my next move, I've done a lot of research and this forum shows up every time I search for job descriptions, etc. They're recruiting us from big departments stores that have been doing vm for years. I guess I'll just speak for myself and say that 1) I am not a robot and 2) I am not a spy.

Start by reading the "Target Talk - denifinitions" thread.
Target (aka 'spot' - nickname for Bullseye, the mascot) has its own culture & some terms are inverse as to what they mean in the outside world - ex: coaching means to discipline a team member. While some think of the sports definition, here it's punitive.
With spot, we're not 'associates' (aka Wallyworld) but team members (TMs), as in 'One team, one dream'.
Starting to feel like a cult yet?
The reason so many of us seem bitter is that we WANT to do a good job but are hamstrung with unrealistic goals, cuts in hours/payroll & rolling out new processes with too many bugs (while replacing procedures that worked just FINE).
Many of us have been with spot a long time & remember when it was a flourishing company (under Bob Ulrich) & one to be proud of. Sure, we recognize that business needs change & retail is evolving but those reasons can't be applied to many of the changes we've seen - much of it how they treat the team.
And a company that doesn't invest in its workforce is superficial at best.

Last edited:
After being told straight-up by my ETL-HR that they weren't bringing me in for an interview for the VML position I had one of the HR TMs to transfer my application to another store and I would see if I could get pulled in for an opening there. Then today I got a call from another store in the district that wants to bring me in for an interview on Friday. Now my ETL-HR knows that I want to move up (as we have previously discussed that sometimes in order to move up you have to move out) so I think I may not bring it up to her until after... Sometimes when things are brought up to her they wind up not happening.

So... Any updated interview advice?

I seriously hope when we get my VMTL, they take over all of softlines adjacencies. That would be awesome :) right now they need some loving.. and having a dedicated team setting them and holding them accountable would be beneficial for my store. My softlines TL just can't cut it.. give her the POGS and she's ok. But give her an adjacency and it takes 3 times as long as it's supposed to
I was told they'll report to ETL SF. Not sure if you have separate HL and SL.
vml

I'm one of those non sr PPTL. I didn't want the extra responsibility of a key. And yes I am bitter and the job hasn't even been filled. Its just the idea of this job being a pg17.
Why shouldn't this be well compensated, I was an outside hire, I have a BFA from Parsons school of design, never worked in retail before, and I am busy all day elevating our store and the merchandise in it. Having a good eye for design and being able to discuss it properly with the clients is invaluable; I was hired for my taste and style and if anything I feel like I should be making more.

[QUOTE="MrGlobal, post: 215279, member: 12471"I can tell right you off the bat: it's incredibly less stressful! As the (Sr) TL in charge of domestics, my VML reports to me. It's crazy that he's the same PG as me, when I have to balance an area, LOD shifts and a much larger team. If I didn't want to promote to ETL, I would have jumped all over that position when it opened.

Wait a minute - the VML reports to you and you are both the same pay grade? How does that work? That doesn't seem right at all. I really don't understand the VML being a pg17... I feel like I am missing something.[/QUOTE]

I'm a VML, I was hired for my eye and style, I may report to my ETL but I'm bringing a strong design skill set that nobody else in the store has so I should be compensated accordingly. Not too many people have good taste, especially at a big discount retail chain.

I'm still having issues seeing it for internal application. If hrtm can't figure it out tomorrow I'm going to have to have the stl just figure out a way to manually input my application.

It's only external, I never worked in retail a day in my life, have a BFA in fashion design and was hired last month for this position.

It's only external, I never worked in retail a day in my life, have a BFA in fashion design and was hired last month for this position.
Yeah, that's a really old post, and there have been internals hired. Keep reading... ;)

I also heard there would be evening shift mostly. Any truth to that?
I'm a VML and I mainly work in the mornings styling racks and mannequins before the customers come in then the rest of the day I evaluate what areas to work on next and plan it out by pulling the merchandise. It's fun.

Why shouldn't this be well compensated, I was an outside hire, I have a BFA from Parsons school of design, never worked in retail before, and I am busy all day elevating our store and the merchandise in it. Having a good eye for design and being able to discuss it properly with the clients is invaluable; I was hired for my taste and style and if anything I feel like I should be making more.

I'm a VML, I was hired for my eye and style, I may report to my ETL but I'm bringing a strong design skill set that nobody else in the store has so I should be compensated accordingly. Not too many people have good taste, especially at a big discount retail chain.

....Aaaaaaaaand MORE reasons!

Yeah, that's a really old post, and there have been internals hired. Keep reading... ;)
Oh ok, I don't know, It seems like my store is still figuring out how to fit me in, I spent all day rebranding trend runs and came in this morning and it had been moved and rearranged so I think people are getting a bit confused by the position's role.

Clients?

LMAO

No, I am just trying to figure out how to post things on this site, I think I double posted or something. I dunno.

Wasn't talking about your multiple postings. I was talking about the fact that you're providing more and more reasons to dislike the external VMTLs. You all seem to think you're somehow better than us/have more style/fashion sense. I'd love for you to meet my VMTL. She's a frazzled mess, and absolutely not better than any of us.

Basically, you're saying you're better than others because of a piece of paper. Woo-hoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back