Archived VM TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I won't argue with you about whether or not your defensive response to his question was sarcastic. But yeah, no need to tell me to give the position a chance. I'm a merchandising brand team member, aka my position is also new and was created to be a direct report to the VML. I also deal with other TMs treating me like dirt because they think the position is useless and are mad that I got a raise to "walk around all day making things look pretty."

I love our VML. She's fun and has a great sense for merchandising and style, and she's done great things for our store so far. I also believe, however, that her and other VMLs who I have met and worked with have a lot to learn about Target culture and how the store is run. It's more than just going up for backup, helping guests, or driving sales. I know most VMLs were hired externally and come from very different backgrounds. That's why there's such a huge disconnect.

You need to understand that most TMs, especially some of the ones who have commented here, have valid reason for being upset about this position. People who have worked their ass off for Spot for years in Presentation, Signing, Logistics, as Brand TMs...and were denied the opportunity to even apply for this position because they were internal. Now someone who has no Target experience comes in brand new making double what they're making to do something that they could have very well done themselves. By just assuming that everyone is complaining and belittling you, you're already making it harder for your TMs to relate to you.

Pick a day to get "down and dirty" with your team. Tackle a 4x4. Pull your own PTM batch so the skeleton crew in the BR doesn't have to. Help with some of the reshop (especially if you were the one who created it). Push clearance in Sporting Goods. Show them that you're not just a new TL that gets paid more but has less responsibility, because honestly, that's what they're all thinking (and in some ways it is true). You're never going to win everyone over. Oh well, that's the reality of any job. But it doesn't hurt to try and understand where they're coming from.
Do not assume that I do not zone or do 4x4's or Pfresh. I push pallets when I need to, pull my own merch, push any drops I make, and am known to get carriages too when the team is waiting to leave at night. I do my own reshop.
I am sorry if this is not the norm for other VMLs.

I didn't realize I listed all my strengths. Lol
So my biggest opportunity and focus this first quarter is forging relationships with team members and getting others to buy in to the position. Without this, I would not be able to do my best.

Just do your job and try not to look like you're trying way too hard to forge those relationships. My vml came in all kinds of annoying and she was trying to force everything to fit into her idea of what we should be. Eventually she chilled out and focused on the work. Idk all that goes on in her job (nor do I care tbh) but as a person, she's grown on me.

And yea, she still does stuff that annoys the crap out of me, but so does every single tm. I'm okay with that. I complain about her stealing our printer, then I move on two seconds later. No big.

best dressed You said the thing most VML s want to say.... 2 things : they hired us externally because we have worked for other companies visually and earned our stripes. Don't let anybody give you permission to be the great visual person you are. They also are trying to avoid the sales floor from looking like stockrooms . If that's the case we would look like Walmart. Oh my God I just said that. Yes I did.
And two I don't feel like I need to bring up my resume every single time I make a decision. Where is the one vision one team in that ? Down the road the future of Target will become fruition and it will look very different from anything that they are used to. Either they embrace it and drink the Kool-Aid or they just try to derail it by pouting and becoming bitter . Trust me the future of Target looks amazing. I'm so glad that I'm part of the process and the solution.

Last edited:
Eh. I'm bitter, but not at all because of the existence of the vml job. I know you're not talking to or about me, but please don't assume every bitter tm is bitter because of your position. The only negative thoughts I have about vmls as a whole is my worry that one day they'll all get together and ban hoodies and t-shirts.

best dressed You said the thing most VML s want to say.... 2 things : they hired us externally because we have worked for other companies visually and earned our stripes. Don't let anybody give you permission to be the great visual person you are. They also are trying to avoid the sales floor from looking like stockrooms . If that's the case we would look like Walmart. Oh my God I just said that.

I'm sorry but I still don't agree about the external hire part. I understand what they were going for, but there are plenty of TMs who were already in leadership roles with degrees in related fields, and they still weren't given chances. Not cool imo.

I'm sorry but I still don't agree about the external hire part. I understand what they were going for, but there are plenty of TMs who were already in leadership roles with degrees in related fields, and they still weren't given chances. Not cool imo.

Agreed. They fucked over internals. Really crappy thing to do

Well I still can't really,understand the,Vml position. All mine does is pull chairs or mugs from the backroom to make displays look more homely. And guess what, those items are still there a week later, none sold.

I'm not convinced that society is stupid enough to buy a table because target got a special TL to throw some items on it.

I feel VMLs should have a bigger impact on the store. Instead of zoning when all the end caps are nice

Okay.... go ahead and hate me now, because I am one of the new external VMLs. Most of us "externals" are in a difficult position from the get-go. We WANT to be an important part of the TEAM; but some people won't let us "in". We WANT to make an impact on the presentation of the store; but we still need a little time to familiarize ourselves w/ standards and protocol. We WANT to share with you our talent, insight, and ability to take OUR stores to the next level; but you don't believe we actually have a different set of skills.
The VML position, and anything that relates to it, represents CHANGE. Not everyone is comfortable with CHANGE.... but it's happening; and it's a good thing. No multi-billion $$$$ company has EVER been successful with the same business practice it had 5, 10, or 15 years ago! A successful company is ever-changing. Be happy your company wants to CHANGE ! It's the only way to stay competitive and make money !
I agree w/ every post that states the VML position was not properly rolled-out. It generated a great deal of rumor and speculation that created fear and animosity. I certainly don't like being the recipient of others' anger and frustration. I want and need to be partners w/ each and every person in OUR store.
At this point.... my Store Team Leader POSITIVELY embraces the role of the VML ! She believes in me and my unique skill set. She sees the impact I have made in a few short weeks. She refers to me as an EXPERT in merchandise presentation; and I am delivering that above and beyond.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ideal roll-out would be where an external could come in showing what they have to offer without attitude but cultivate support by showing TMs the differences between mere display & IMPACT.
TMs need to be able to put aside their anger at being passed over & see what the VML brings to the table & learn from it while showing them the 'Target culture' (emphasis on 'cult').
Unfortunately, spot has yet to figure out 'roll-out done right'.

If I'm not mistaken, all of the angry/attacking posts were from quite awhile ago. No idea where this influx of new member VMLs are coming from that are reviving this thread, but it was dead for awhile. I think everyone has accepted that this position is here to stay (at least for now), and we're all just waiting to see if Target actually has a concrete plan for it's future. Nobody hates anyone. We can still lament over the fact that corp screwed over internals without you all assuming we hate you...

Eh. I'm bitter, but not at all because of the existence of the vml job. I know you're not talking to or about me, but please don't assume every bitter tm is bitter because of your position. The only negative thoughts I have about vmls as a whole is my worry that one day they'll all get together and ban hoodies and t-shirts.
Lol. Yeah no hoodies or polos for me. But Red and Tan everyday.

If I'm not mistaken, all of the angry/attacking posts were from quite awhile ago. No idea where this influx of new member VMLs are coming from that are reviving this thread, but it was dead for awhile. I think everyone has accepted that this position is here to stay (at least for now), and we're all just waiting to see if Target actually has a concrete plan for it's future. Nobody hates anyone. We can still lament over the fact that corp screwed over internals without you all assuming we hate you...
you may feel a big injustice has happened. Last time I was passed over for a job I had a real conversation with my leaders asking about my "opportunities". As for this MEGAThread continuing, I think the whole subject is still raw for TM's that may feel "passed over". And I think VML's are finally speaking up with their own frustration.
Business changes, needs change and change is good for all of us and the future of Target as a company and a BRAND-

best dressed You said the thing most VML s want to say.... 2 things : they hired us externally because we have worked for other companies visually and earned our stripes. Don't let anybody give you permission to be the great visual person you are. They also are trying to avoid the sales floor from looking like stockrooms . If that's the case we would look like Walmart. Oh my God I just said that. Yes I did.
And two I don't feel like I need to bring up my resume every single time I make a decision. Where is the one vision one team in that ? Down the road the future of Target will become fruition and it will look very different from anything that they are used to. Either they embrace it and drink the Kool-Aid or they just try to derail it by pouting and becoming bitter . Trust me the future of Target looks amazing. I'm so glad that I'm part of the process and the solution.

Don't let anybody give you permission to be the great visual person you are.

I am unsure if this is go for it and do your thing, or Sarcasm....

I am happy with my decision to become part of the Target Team. There is much opportunity for VML's. I wish you all the best AE2016 you can achieve, and moving forward in the new year, I know our team is going to kill it.

My biggest issue with my VML currently is that this is the second time she has set up a cute little date night table display, and both times I've had to remind her that place settings should never be perfect reflections, and the wine glasses belong to the upper right of the plate and not directly in front of them.

I don't see any kind of impact on the brand or sales since one of the hardlines tls was "promoted" to vml. I'm sure it differs from store to store, but right now it seems like a pointless position.

My biggest issue with my VML currently is that this is the second time she has set up a cute little date night table display, and both times I've had to remind her that place settings should never be perfect reflections, and the wine glasses belong to the upper right of the plate and not directly in front of them.
lol

People also go to college to learn to play instruments when then can learn one without school.

I'm not saying it doesn't take a keep eye but it's dirt easy. My Vml does nothing but zone now because there is only so much you can do to a display.

It's a waste of 40hours at my store doing something Plano could do.
My Vml has been cut to 35 hours along with the rest of the tls because payroll sucks. I've heard "they guaranteed me 40 hours during the interview" I don't know how many times. But it's getting old. "75 percent of my time should be doing MY job". Ugh. Dislike.

Can't be any worse than the Starbucks date night a yr or two ago. Ugh!
Did they really think anyone would spend Valentine's at Starbucks sharing an overpriced brownie & a pot of French press?
I can't say what my team did with the face masks without outing myself but it wasn't very FFF.

you may feel a big injustice has happened. Last time I was passed over for a job I had a real conversation with my leaders asking about my "opportunities". As for this MEGAThread continuing, I think the whole subject is still raw for TM's that may feel "passed over". And I think VML's are finally speaking up with their own frustration.
Business changes, needs change and change is good for all of us and the future of Target as a company and a BRAND-

Eh, I applied for a vml position (I used to not wear hoodies and thermals, btw lol). I've been over it for... idk like a week or so after the vml started? I applied for the wrong reasons, though. I... applied hoping it would be nice for the resume and then the job would be cut during ae and I'd be done with tgt. I was basically like "ooooh a task-oriented position with full-time hours, benefits, set schedule... and I don't have to lead a big team directly or do lod shifts. werrrrk." Then I hoped a tl in my store would get it and then I could get their job because these student loans are not getting paid with this TM pittance.

Either way, though, I wasn't angry with any vmls. I was angry/annoyed that my etl discouraged me and others from moving forward with the process. If she had interviewed and then still decided on the external, well that's how the cookie crumbles, right? I can't/won't blame Lucille (fake name) for that. BUT when Lucille started working, she didn't have to come with the dirty looks, looking down (she's tall, so maybe she has no control on that one) on us and skulking around the store trying to catch us being shit TMs. She wanted to fix us, but we're not the problem. Some of target's processes, scheduling and hiring practices are the problem. Me not liking her while she was doing that stuff had nothing to do with her getting the job. She came in on the wrong foot. It was like going on a blind date and the person wants to fix you but it's a blind date so they don't even know you yet.

Just put a bottle in front of each setting and let it do the talking....lol.
Can't be any worse than the Starbucks date night a yr or two ago. Ugh!
Did they really think anyone would spend Valentine's at Starbucks sharing an overpriced brownie & a pot of French press?
I can't say what my team did with the face masks without outing myself but it wasn't very FFF.
Saw thats a thing again this year. Fair warning, lol.

I really don't understand why we are still rehashing the same dull argument on this one. Anyone can be taught this, thats why its a degree at many liberal arts colleges. Like any other thing how well you do it is dependant on ability, not knowledge. Many of us came to Spot with years of experience with multiple companies with high end paid training, just not good enough for Spots standards (apparently flowers aren't as hard as clothing and home goods). We were not given the chance to be taken seriously, my HR team has NEVER even mentioned me applying for VML except when I requested they check the application went through. My store eventually put through an internal without equivalent background and qualifications instead of allowing all internals to actually apply and be considered. I respect this tl in their previous role and am doing my best to support and help them, but its a struggle as they rarely know what they even need. If I had one of you externals I'd probably do as little as possible to help, especially if you got as demanding and authoratative with me. The deck is stacked against us and all the posturing and smack talk is only making your integration harder. KoolAid or not.

Anyway... is this activewear look new? Or did my store just not get it because it's a small-ish store? When we got mannequins, we only got one lady's active one, and we didn't get those tiered white tables, leg-iquins or the round underwear thingies

I've been looking at target stl/etl tweets.

CZPXCSWWQAAO7w6.jpg

I never said anything about a big injustice, lol. I'm not that dramatic. As for being "passed over," most of them weren't given the chance to even apply period. Internals were told it was open to externals only, or flat out told they weren't going to bother interviewing internals. So yeah, there's a difference.

Anyway this is the last time I'm going to rehash this. Considering the VML is literally my boss, I have zero issues with the existence of the position. Of course I have problems with how it was rolled out, like the fact that our tenured Hardlines SrTL has 3 LOD shifts a week and runs all of HL by himself but gets paid less than our VML, or the fact that there was NO clarity as to what the VMLs basic routines were even supposed to be until very recently. But again, it'll all figure itself out eventually.

I'm just the kind of person who likes to see both sides of the coin, especially because I've been on both sides of this particular one.

Anyway... is this activewear look new? Or did my store just not get it because it's a small-ish store? When we got mannequins, we only got one lady's active one, and we didn't get those tiered white tables, leg-iquins or the round underwear thingies

My store is pretty large and high volume, and we only have the one lady's active mannequin as well. Another store in my district has this setup though. I'm not sure if/when it's going to be rolled out to more stores. I really like it.

Do any of you VMLs work at a store that doesn't have the Home Innovation remodel? 2 stores in my district have yet to receive it and I've heard it's absolutely boring because they're just stuck in softlines all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back