Archived Want to steal? Just cut a huge hole in the wall!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Police were called by Target security at 1:15 a.m. Wednesday after a silent alarm went off, and security personnel found a back door sawed open and insulation pulled from the door.

Police say the suspects were seen in the area of the electronics department. Both had backpacks.

Responding officers spotted at least one of the suspects on the roof. That suspect then disappeared from sight. Police believed the suspect went back into the store.

http://6abc.com/news/trapped-burglary-suspects-caught-at-ne-phila-target/439880/

They're showing the huge hole on TV but their website is not showing it yet, but man oh man.

Holy crap. Something very similar happened at a nearby Target a few years ago. They backed a panel van up to one of the dock doors at 2 in the morning and used a cordless Dewalt recip saw to cut a 3-ft wide hole in the bottom panel of the dock door. They were in after 60 seconds, but they didn't go near electronics. One guy crawled through, and grabbed a 6' tall rolling ladder from the backroom and went directly to TSC (probably woke the dead with those squeaky wheels!!) He climbed up through the drop ceiling and over the top of the wall into their damn CASH OFFICE. Apparently the wall from there to TSC was only a partition and was only about a foot taller than the drop ceiling. Who knew?!

They cleaned that store out really well, and it happened early on a Monday morning after a busy holiday weekend. They didn't set a single alarm off until they left. One alarm triggered when the guy let himself out through the cash office door, and then the perimiter alarm went off when he left the building about 10 seconds later. The second perp had pulled the van around front by the overnight door to TSC, and when the guy inside came out of the cash office, he hit the TSC door buzzer and the driver held the door open for him. They were in and out in less than 15 minutes total. The alarms went off for less than a minute before they hit the road out of town. No plates visible on the van, either.

I always suspected an inside job, and I doubt it was a concidence that the alarm sensors on that store's dock plates apparently never worked from what I was told. They were due for a remodel and a new alarm system in a few months. Sounds like somebody took advantage of an opportunity before that huge security flaw was fixed. Very shady!!

As far as I know, there were never any arrests made in that one.

I had something similar to a guitar shop I worked in. Common wall but we didn't have attic but open walls all the up to 2nd floor. They cut three different holes in the wall to snag the best guitars that we kept way up there. Then came in and cleaned out a bunch quick grab stuff. Not one alarm was tripped.

Sucked when I opened the next day. One of the worst phone calls I have had to make. Owner cried when he saw what was taken.

I always suspected an inside job, and I doubt it was a concidence that the alarm sensors on that store's dock plates apparently never worked from what I was told. They were due for a remodel and a new alarm system in a few months. Sounds like somebody took advantage of an opportunity before that huge security flaw was fixed. Very shady!!

Def an inside job.
Once inside cash office, they'd either have to drill open the safe or know the combo.
Older COs have dials but the newer ones are digital.

Yep. Same one. This store is pretty far out from the highway with a huge sea of parking in the front and is pretty desolate.

Def an inside job.
Once inside cash office, they'd either have to drill open the safe or know the combo.
Older COs have dials but the newer ones are digital.

And I wouldn't be surprised if it was someone in AP since they knew the about the ceiling and how high the walls went.

Yep. Same one. This store is pretty far out from the highway with a huge sea of parking in the front and is pretty desolate.

The mall is off of a large divided highway and is in set back at the furthest point of the parking lot. On the weekends the lot is maybe half full at peak times. This is one of the lower sales volume stores in the district/region. They moved to a 6am process probably about two years ago, so nobody was in the store when this happened. The loading dock backs up to a large warehouse/factory type building, but it's a pretty sketchy area at night.

This is the second time this year that this particular store is in the news. A GSA was held at gunpoint and the cash cart was emptied out at closing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back