Archived what exactly is meal compliance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi everyone, I started at target about a month ago and am still getting the hang of some things. until now, I have been pretty much taking my breaks whenever my lead tells me to. every shift, despite what time i’m scheduled to take a break on kronos (whether it’s 15 or 30 min), a lead will usually send me when to take one since it can technically change based on volume of guests or amount of people working at that moment. today I opened at 8 am, and was told by a fellow TM to hurry and take my 30 before I hit compliance (bc no lead had told me to yet despite talking to her many times today).

obviously this falls on my responsibility since it’s not a lead’s job to send me on my break, but I just wanted to get the guidelines/rules straight for future reference since I’m not familiar!

I don’t think any HR or lead has told me what meal compliance was or how to avoid it. I took my lunch at 1:57 pm. am I going to get in trouble??

I live in virginia btw if that matters .... for 8 hour shifts I get two 15 minute breaks and one 30. today I had a 7 hour 45 min shift!

Meal compliance is when you don't take your 30 by a certain hour, either a 5 or a 6 hour, depending on what state you're in. For instance, I'm in a six hour state. As long as you clocked in at 7:58 or later, if you are in a six hour state, then you're good. If you're in a five hour state, then you've hit compliance. If your fellow TM told you to take your 30 and you took it right away, as it sounds, you'll be good. If you're still confused, definitely speak with HR, because hitting compliance is a big deal.

hi everyone, I started at target about a month ago and am still getting the hang of some things. until now, I have been pretty much taking my breaks whenever my lead tells me to. every shift, despite what time i’m scheduled to take a break on kronos (whether it’s 15 or 30 min), a lead will usually send me when to take one since it can technically change based on volume of guests or amount of people working at that moment. today I opened at 8 am, and was told by a fellow TM to hurry and take my 30 before I hit compliance (bc no lead had told me to yet despite talking to her many times today).

obviously this falls on my responsibility since it’s not a lead’s job to send me on my break, but I just wanted to get the guidelines/rules straight for future reference since I’m not familiar!

I don’t think any HR or lead has told me what meal compliance was or how to avoid it. I took my lunch at 1:57 pm. am I going to get in trouble??
During orientation they will cover meal compliance, depending on the state you live in it will be at 5 or 6 hours. There should be a sign above your time clock that tells you this information.

i’ve done orientation, Ive been working for a month now - it was rushed bc of something else they had scheduled that day so I didn’t learn about meal compliance. also above our time clock is just what time you should clock back in from lunch like :00 - :31

i’ve done orientation, Ive been working for a month now - it was rushed bc of something else they had scheduled that day so I didn’t learn about meal compliance. also above our time clock is just what time you should clock back in from lunch like :00 - :31
Now you know. 5 hours, ask for 30 min break. 15 min break after 2 hours.

Whether you're a 5 or 6 hour state, my advice would be just take 30+ mins before and make it a habit.

I know a few people that ride the razors edge and try to sneak in 1-3 mins before but they'll get pinged for compliance once every few months too. It's just not worth it imo.

My TL says we should try for a break every 2 hours. So a 15 minutes when we hit 2 hour mark. 30 when we hit 4 hour mark. Another 15 at the six hour mark. And clock out at the end of an 8 hour shift. Obviously if you're only scheduled for 4 hours then you just get one break

My TL says we should try for a break every 2 hours. So a 15 minutes when we hit 2 hour mark. 30 when we hit 4 hour mark. Another 15 at the six hour mark. And clock out at the end of an 8 hour shift. Obviously if you're only scheduled for 4 hours then you just get one break
The every 2 hours rule works ok except when you have multiple people in an area that all came in at the same time. Then everyone suddenly wants to take their break at the same time.

I live in a five-hour state and usually set my phone alarm at the 4.5 hour mark, that gives me a bit of cushion if something comes up and I can't go right away.

I was pinged for compliance in my early days and had to sign a paper acknowledging violation. HR told me to set alarms on my phone at the 2 hour mark for a 15 and at the 5 hour mark to allow for cushion but that I should take my 30 (when my scheduled shift is more than 6 hours) by the 5 1/2 hour mark.

So that’s what I do.

I only hit compliance once and it was when I worked over 10 hours and didn't realize I should have taken a second lunch. Quite a few of us hit it that day because it was so chaotic (SFS around the holidays) and none of us were written up or even spoken to about it. I think we got a pass because of the circumstances, but I wouldn't count on them ever doing that again.

The only area that tends to follow the break schedule is the front end, which I think makes sense. The rest of us just go whenever and announce it over the walkie. Sometimes one of the ETLs or leads will say break time for everyone who started at this time and that time, but that's only when they want to do a huddle at the end of break and it's easier if we are all in the breakroom already.

If you are on or near compliance, it actually means that you are non-compliant with Target's policy for when lunch breaks must be taken. This policy is in place to meet state laws regarding employee lunch breaks. Even if your state does not have a law, Target has a policy and you need to follow it if you want to keep working at Target.

This is what I was told by my TL when I was first hired. Obviously you need to coordinate with other TMs working in your area so you don’t all go at the same time. This doesn’t apply to me now because cashiers (guest advocates) can’t just walk away from SCO or Guest Service without coverage and some days that isn’t easy to line up due to call outs or bad scheduling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back