Archived What happens when a food TL demotes

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've heard our Food TL (SRTL) is in the process of demoting to a TM.

How will this work? Will there be a gap in coverage or will he have to continue his duties until a replacement is found? He just can't handle grocery, SBX, and Cafe, on top of TL responsibilities and LOD shifts.

There are very few of us in each of the departments, although we all mostly know what we are doing.

He may need to go to a different store too. Just curious, was he Market before, or Starbucks?

He may need to go to a different store
He should be going to a different store. Only way he stays is if they go to a different shift (day to overnight). Even now with all the changes with End to End, he will go to another store or unfortunately be let go.(Performanced Out), in Target terms.

I have gone through several FATL transitions.

Its possible that any other FTL/CTL candidates will take over. Its possible TMs may have to take on the TL tasks in meantime.

Last edited:
Depends on the store. Within my 8+ years at Target I've seen 4 TLs demote and they've all stayed at my store. Only 2 changed work centers.

Depends on the store. Within my 8+ years at Target I've seen 4 TLs demote and they've all stayed at my store. Only 2 changed work centers.

You can demote and stay at the same store but technically you are not supposed to demote into the same work center.

I am not sure why your store let's them stay in the same work center that's not really fair to the new team lead.

You can demote and stay at the same store but technically you are not supposed to demote into the same work center.

I am not sure why your store let's them stay in the same work center that's not really fair to the new team lead.
Yeah, I've always thought it was weird and was even told way back when I started that they are supposed to switch stores or leave Target all together if they want to demote. *Shrug*. And it's not even that we've had the same management the whole time, because we haven't.

So frustrating hearing all these Food TL's demoting or quit Target all together because of taking 3 departments. A lot of TL in my district are dropping like flies because they can't handle Market, Starbucks, and Cafe. And rightfully so, Starbucks alone can be rough enough. But add to the madness of Cafe and Market. What made them think it was a good idea to have one TL be responsible for all three departments?!

I'm fortunate that I work in a Super without a Cafe/Food Ave. and have a separate TL running Market (two of them).

The CTL before me quit right just a few months before the market rollout. He was not allowed to demote. I'm not sure if this is policy or if it was because of the circumstances at the time. That CTL pretty much gave up.

So frustrating hearing all these Food TL's demoting or quit Target all together because of taking 3 departments. A lot of TL in my district are dropping like flies because they can't handle Market, Starbucks, and Cafe. And rightfully so, Starbucks alone can be rough enough. But add to the madness of Cafe and Market. What made them think it was a good idea to have one TL be responsible for all three departments?!

I'm fortunate that I work in a Super without a Cafe/Food Ave. and have a separate TL running Market (two of them).

I've got market and sb (my store isn't large enough for both sb and cafe), and I feel like there is never enough time in a day. I wish they would have just let the cafe TL absorb Starbucks and leave me with market.

It's nice to see these Food TLs adopt more responsibilities. They are almost on the level of a TL who has to cover Flow, Backroom, Receiving, and Instocks.

Except that doesnt happen I'm at a b volume and we have a dedicated flow team lead. Our backroom tl has receiving and instocks (generally more experienced team members who need less direction) so unless you are at a d volume you don't have one tl for all of logistics.

Food Service and food are two totally different animals. I didn't mind them putting one team lead over both cafe and Starbucks, that even made sense but to try to do Starbucks inventory, then run a cafe and then oh C&S is here. That's just crazy

Last edited:
Except that doesnt happen I'm at a b volume and we have a dedicated flow team lead. Our backroom tl has receiving and instocks (generally more experienced team members who need less direction) so unless you are at a d volume you don't have one tl for all of logistics.

Food Service and food are two totally different animals. I didn't mind them putting one team lead over both cafe and Starbucks that even made sense but to try to do Starbucks inventory, then run a cafe and then oh C&S is here. That's just crazy

On paper my store is the same way with regard to logistics leadership. Flow TL and then Recieving and Instocks SrTL but they're fairly interchangeable. They have both have days where one will cover the other's department(s) if it's their day off.

And they always always always leave at noon so backroom dayside gets no love. Not that I need it per say, but it would be nice to actually be able to learn more from them about Logistics and the way we function.

They will find someone new to take the departments. My store is relatively away from others so any TLs we've had that wanted to demote have had to quit.

Bums me to see how many other Food TLs are getting burnt out. :(Being in charge of those departments, plus responsible for all Steritech issues, ordering, inventory, etc. It's ridiculously stressful even if you do have a few strong TMs.

Food Service and food are two totally different animals. I didn't mind them putting one team lead over both cafe and Starbucks that even made sense but to try to do Starbucks inventory, then run a cafe and then oh C&S is here. That's just crazy

The thing is, you do not need a TL scheduled for a barista/Cafe shift because it's a waste of resources. TLs can oversee SBUX/Cafe without actually having a shift in those areas. Just like I can oversee Receiving, but I don't need to be scheduled for a shift in that work center. Leaders need to lead, not do TM things all day. I imagine the stores and TLs that are struggling with this transition are expecting their Food TL to do too many TM things.

The thing is, you do not need a TL scheduled for a barista/Cafe shift because it's a waste of resources. TLs can oversee SBUX/Cafe without actually having a shift in those areas. Just like I can oversee Receiving, but I don't need to be scheduled for a shift in that work center. Leaders need to lead, not do TM things all day. I imagine the stores and TLs that are struggling with this transition are expecting their Food TL to do too many TM things.

You are right, just like the other thread a few of them struggle managing a larger team and having to be more hands off.

Here's the problem, the food service TL is required to spend some time there each week. They first have to be Starbucks certified which is 80 hours of hands on training. After that they have to work a minimum 8 hours per week in Starbucks to maintain their certification.

Again food service is not grocery. You wouldn't hire a McDonald's fry cook to your grocery store because of comparable experience.

Last edited:
You are right, just like the other thread a few of them struggle managing a larger team and having to be more hands off.

Here's the problem, the food service TL is required to spend some time there each week. They first have to be Starbucks certified which is 80 hours of hands on training. After that they have to work a minimum 8 hours per week in Starbucks to maintain their certification.

Again food service is not grocery. You wouldn't hire a McDonald's fry cook to your grocery store because of comparable experience.
I'm a former Food Ave TL from a 1M$+ Food Service store. I did the whole Dallas PHx training thing and was the team trainer for the group, so, believe me when I say I know what it takes to run a successful Food Service team. Of course any TL is going to have to go through the initial training and probably be scheduled in the work center to do so. You can spend time in each work center giving assistance and developing your team without actually being scheduled in the work center, similar to what any decent ETL does. The Food TL can be scheduled consumables and still jump behind the counter to assist Frappy Hour, or a PHx dinner rush. As the week goes by, this TL will accumulate SBUX minimums just by helping out, developing the team, and placing orders. This is the Food TL we're discussing, not some random fry cook. A leadership position requires development, communication, follow-up, and being available to offer competent assistance, not having to be scheduled in any particular work center just to do the grunt work.

Hi guys!

I am currently a FTL. Started as Food Ave TL/part time GSTL. Then became Stbx TL. Now I've got all 3. I work in consumables on truck days and in the Stbx once a week. What I'm wondering is- do all FTLs have a GOM assignment like each of their team members? I do, and I find that I have no time for leadership tasks (despite the long list of things that need to get done). I feel like if I didn't have my own assigned shift label I would be better able to know what's going on and who needs help, as well as jump in on days when certain assignments end up larger off the truck. My STL and ETL say there aren't enough hours. So I'm just wondering if it's the same at most stores.

Hi guys!

I am currently a FTL. Started as Food Ave TL/part time GSTL. Then became Stbx TL. Now I've got all 3. I work in consumables on truck days and in the Stbx once a week. What I'm wondering is- do all FTLs have a GOM assignment like each of their team members? I do, and I find that I have no time for leadership tasks (despite the long list of things that need to get done). I feel like if I didn't have my own assigned shift label I would be better able to know what's going on and who needs help, as well as jump in on days when certain assignments end up larger off the truck. My STL and ETL say there aren't enough hours. So I'm just wondering if it's the same at most stores.
Similar situation. My market day tends to fall on a C&S day, but when it's a dry market day I tend to take over open market and push uboats if the team is struggling (which is most times). STL wants us to use our team to finish tasks and focus on leading + followup, but then the workload won't get done. It's a balance I think many food TLs are probably struggling with. My food team is struggling with losing people and getting the new hires trained up so our shift tags aren't really working at the moment, but I'm sure it will be a bit easier once I'm properly staffed.

Reading all this worries me! Luckily it's still another month or so until my Sbux opens. Until then I'm finishing up my LOD training and focusing on that. I've already been told I'll only spend 2 days or so at Sbux while the rest of my week will be LOD shifts. Hopefully they don't add on Market to me, I heard our TL is struggling over there.

Cafe has been closed in my store so not worried about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back