Archived When ETLs don't know what your actual job duties are...

• Thread starter MM1MM2
  • Start date
  • Replies 26
  • Views 3K
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MM1MM2

I was informed by my TL that my ETL that has been with the company and this store a little over a year (fresh out of college!) thinks that I just zone Entertainment all day on Mondays and Tuesdays. No, I'm usually struggling and trying to figure out how I'm going to cram as much work into as little time as possible and not leave much to do on Tuesday after I set street dates, so I can then zone because my team mates don't do it at all. Roughly regardless of the workload, I have to get the majority of it done on Mondays in about 4 hours*. I use to get more time but about a year ago someone somewhere thought I had too much time to get my job done.

So, anyone else have a TL or ETL that knows nothing at all about your job duties?

*I'm actually scheduled 7 hours on Monday but after the huddle, lunch, and 4x4 I am usually left with 4 hours or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
You really doing Plano stuff for new releases on Mondays & Tuesdays. Your hours are gauged by the Plano hours workload. You might to ask your Plano TL, if you can do the revisions too for mmb too.

You really doing Plano stuff for new releases on Mondays & Tuesdays. Your hours are gauged by the Plano hours workload. You might to ask your Plano TL, if you can do the revisions too for mmb too.
I do all 108, 59, 58, 12, 276 (except sidecaps and checklane) and entertainment 152 salesplanners and revisions. The only time planogram does anything in my area is when there is a transition.

Oh and I do my own pulls.

Oh man, it's great having an ETL and TL that have no idea what your job even is and how the workload works.

Oh man, it's great having an ETL and TL that have no idea what your job even is and how the workload works.
I actually don't mind it as long as when I say I'm busy, they respect that and leave me alone or offer to find someone to help (rare).

I actually don't mind it as long as when I say I'm busy, they respect that and leave me alone or offer to find someone to help (rare).
The only part that bothers me that over the years I've had to pretty much *prove* that I was actually doing something and that if I didn't do it then it wouldn't get done.

I do all 108, 59, 58, 12, 276 (except sidecaps and checklane) and entertainment 152 salesplanners and revisions. The only time planogram does anything in my area is when there is a transition.

Oh and I do my own pulls.
Your hours come from Plano.

Your hours come from Plano.
I know, but they just give me what they want instead of what the workload actually requires, which causes me to have to stay over often. I hate staying over, but I have to get my workload finished!

The only part that bothers me that over the years I've had to pretty much *prove* that I was actually doing something and that if I didn't do it then it wouldn't get done.

I kinda like proving them wrong. "Lady, are you even doing anything in cosmetics?" And then after 4 days away from the department, it's, "Lady, for the love of god, please never leave." And then it goes right back to saying I do nothing. :/

This is why supervisors at any company should be mostly (>90%) internal promotions. Exclusively hiring externally and placing arbitrary barriers for existing employees to move up (like a 4 year degree requirement for what's essentially an assistant manager position at a retail store) ensures a disconnect between managers and employees.

ETLs have only a vague idea of what the Signing Ninja does.
For that matter so does the PTL and the rest of the store.

That sucks. At my store, our old PTL treated the Signing Ninja as assistant PTL.

Which seemed to work fairly well since our Signing Ninja is now the PTL and is doing the same to the new Ninja.

I kinda like proving them wrong. "Lady, are you even doing anything in cosmetics?" And then after 4 days away from the department, it's, "Lady, for the love of god, please never leave." And then it goes right back to saying I do nothing. :/

"oath cosmetics looks amazing but we're gutting your hours"

One month later and I'm PA

"oath holy fuck cosmetics looks a hot mess"

I know, but they just give me what they want instead of what the workload actually requires, which causes me to have to stay over often. I hate staying over, but I have to get my workload finished!
My Tm does everything that is due for the week. Plano tl loves it, because they don't like doing mmb.

Leadership knew that if I didn't get a decent amount of hours, things would NOT get done.
As it was, I'd come in to freight not worked, empty shelves, half-empty focals, expired product in the coolers & have it all taken care of before shift's end no matter HOW busy it was.

I was informed by my TL that my ETL that has been with the company and this store a little over a year (fresh out of college!) thinks that I just zone Entertainment all day on Mondays and Tuesdays. No, I'm usually struggling and trying to figure out how I'm going to cram as much work into as little time as possible and not leave much to do on Tuesday after I set street dates, so I can then zone because my team mates don't do it at all. Roughly regardless of the workload, I have to get the majority of it done on Mondays in about 4 hours*. I use to get more time but about a year ago someone somewhere thought I had too much time to get my job done.

So, anyone else have a TL or ETL that knows nothing at all about your job duties?

*I'm actually scheduled 7 hours on Monday but after the huddle, lunch, and 4x4 I am usually left with 4 hours or so.
I have that situation

When I worked IGS and now that we do that IDIOTIC curbside pick up the shit keeps building up at IGS and the stupid ETL-GE does not want GSAs helping at IGS to help with sorting. I also don't even think the ETL-LOG understands fire safety because you can hardly walk around in the backroom.

Last edited:
I have that situation
My PPTL and their ETL thought the same thing until I took a couple days off and they had to do all of the B012, B058, B059, C108, A152, and B207 revisions themselves before Tuesday. It took them the full week to do what I do every week in a shift-and-a-half, but they completed most of the revisions (and created a few problems I had to sort out the next week). They asked me to never take the days off from doing those revisions again and to let them know if I needed anything.

My PPTL and their ETL thought the same thing until I took a couple days off and they had to do all of the B012, B058, B059, C108, A152, and B207 revisions themselves before Tuesday. It took them the full week to do what I do every week in a shift-and-a-half, but they completed most of the revisions (and created a few problems I had to sort out the next week). They asked me to never take the days off from doing those revisions again and to let them know if I needed anything.
Train a backup....

Train a backup....
ULV store with staffing problems for the last two years, thanks in large part to our former ETL-HR and STL being incompetent at their job. There is literally no one else on the planogram team. It's so bad across the board we will not be able to hire seasonal team members until after Black Friday because no team is fully (or even adequately) staffed.

Leadership knew that if I didn't get a decent amount of hours, things would NOT get done.
As it was, I'd come in to freight not worked, empty shelves, half-empty focals, expired product in the coolers & have it all taken care of before shift's end no matter HOW busy it was.
Mine basically knows the same thing. Even though our ETL is new, she figured out pretty darn quick that the days I'm off, things just don't get done. The other day, I had a later shift and the first thing she did was send me to processing & pull the person who had been there for a whopping 45 minutes. They weren't happy, but when they actually get a total of 5 rxs completed in 45 minutes.....o_O Needless to say, I found out that she told the TL that I am NOT to be scheduled to do anything OTHER than open unless ABSOLUTELY necessary because the days I don't, they start off behind and play "catch-up" all day long.

Train a backup....
I haven't had a backup in 3 years!! The last time I did, they kept pulling the person to do other things. It's a lost cause around here.

And I work at a high volume store.

I took my birthday off a few years ago, on a Tuesday. When I came back on Thursday all the new releases, which had low counts to begin with, came out on my first pull of the day. That means the shelves werw empty for two days and no one cared enough to stock them.

Also when I was sick for a week earlier this year, I came back on a Friday and did all my revisions plus I had to fix the after Christmas pogs the planogram put in the wrong spot, broke my old pogs, and threw away my labels so I had to reprint them.

I'm taking my emergen-c all winter this year.

When I worked IGS and now that we do that IDIOTIC curbside pick up the shit keeps building up at IGS and the stupid ETL-GE does not want GSAs helping at IGS to help with sorting. I also don't even think the ETL-LOG understands fire safety because you can hardly walk around in the backroom.
Do we work at the same store?

Mine basically knows the same thing. Even though our ETL is new, she figured out pretty darn quick that the days I'm off, things just don't get done. The other day, I had a later shift and the first thing she did was send me to processing & pull the person who had been there for a whopping 45 minutes. They weren't happy, but when they actually get a total of 5 rxs completed in 45 minutes.....o_O Needless to say, I found out that she told the TL that I am NOT to be scheduled to do anything OTHER than open unless ABSOLUTELY necessary because the days I don't, they start off behind and play "catch-up" all day long.
Shame on your TL! She/he needs to schedule according to business needs. I always schedule my strongest techs to open so everything gets done quickly. It always makes for a smooth night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back