Archived Who does the real managing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay guys, from your opinions and or experiences, who do you guys think does the real managing of a department and the TMs? TLs or ETLs?

That's interesting. My STL is pretty involved too. They don't really manage the TMs but they do check in.

My ETL does. He does an excellent job of executing the process effeciently and effectively. Our truck unload for example is completed in less than hour and 15 minutes consistently, and we are talking an average 2200 pieces. HBA, Market, paper, chemicals, pets, one spot,softlines -all done, most of the time , before we open at 8 am. As a team, we are all mindful that we clean-up as we go, and no debris for guest to see.

It's not suprising that he is now asked to help out other stores to improve their process...

I admire his work ethic and performance. He is an amazing leader, and one of Target's best!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My ETL does. He does an excellent job of executing the process effeciently and effectively. Our truck unload for example is completed in less than hour and 15 minutes consistently, and we are talking an average 2200 pieces. HBA, Market, paper, chemicals, pets, one spot,softlines -all done, most of the time , before we open at 8 am. As a team, we are all mindful that we clean-up as we go, and no debris for guest to see.

It's not suprising that he is now asked to help out other stores to improve their process...

I admire his work ethic and performance. He is an amazing leader, and one of Target's best!!

I was threatened with write ups if I didn't unload each panel in 10 minutes.

@60SecondsRemaining, my ETL works side by side with our team. He is there on the line pushing and sorting the boxes, his high energy is contagious. You can't help but work hard, seeing your leader work hard day in day out. He is also there bowling, pushing at WAVE. He push the entire one spot area by himself too. He takes care of the carts too. He is in the backroom afterwards. I even saw him mop the floor at the backroom. He also does cashier stuff as well. I even hear he comes in at work unscheduled. I can go on and on with how amazing he is!!! He is a one-man show. He can run the entire store by himself.

I forgot to mention that my ETL also knows how to solve interpersonal conflicts at work, and achieve a win-win outcome. After he talked to the parties involved, both changed their behavior for the better and able to work together again. He is not afraid to engage in difficult conversations, and he is also generous with compliments. He listens to his team, and ask them how they are doing. He is approachable, and he tries his best to understand the needs of the individual people in our team.

He trains new ETL all the time. He is admired and respected by his peers and superiors.

Our new Stl is very, very hands on with the schedule. ...she actually helps the hr tm make it .She also, walks the all areas of the store several times a day. Many stls and etls don't do that...they just stay up front all day.

I forgot to mention that my ETL also knows how to solve interpersonal conflicts at work, and achieve a win-win outcome. After he talked to the parties involved, both changed their behavior for the better and able to work together again. He is not afraid to engage in difficult conversations, and he is also generous with compliments. He listens to his team, and ask them how they are doing. He is approachable, and he tries his best to understand the needs of the individual people in our team.

He trains new ETL all the time. He is admired and respected by his peers and superiors.

Unfortunately, one of two things will happen. He will be forever stick in logistics, burn out, and quit.

Or, you will get a new, hands off stl and he will be ostracized and eventually quit and move on.

The scenario where he moves upward out of logistics is one that does not exist often. Which is unfortunate, as many of the great leaders have a mindset like yours, it just isn't a mindset that target shares.

We have an issue on flow. The etl ge and etl log want something done all the time and my tl log had a different opinion. All parties will be on Monday. I happen to agree with the etl's and my tl and I have agreed to disagree. That's fine by me. I do what my tl tells me to do. I hope he's wrong on this one thou. We'll see!

Unfortunately, one of two things will happen. He will be forever stick in logistics, burn out, and quit.

Or, you will get a new, hands off stl and he will be ostracized and eventually quit and move on.

The scenario where he moves upward out of logistics is one that does not exist often. Which is unfortunate, as many of the great leaders have a mindset like yours, it just isn't a mindset that target shares.

I don't share your grim prediction. I strongly believe that even more amazing things will happen in his life. For someone like him, with so much passion for his work, will never feel burn out. Time will only make him even more passionate, stronger and an effective leader.

The fact that he is asked to train new ETLs and improve other store processes is a reflection that he is being recognized for his excellent work. This can only lead to even greater opportunities.

I don't share your grim prediction. I strongly believe that even more amazing things will happen in his life. For someone like him, with so much passion for his work, will never feel burn out. Time will only make him even more passionate, stronger and an effective leader.

The fact that he is asked to train new ETLs and improve other store processes is a reflection that he is being recognized for his excellent work. This can only lead to even greater opportunities.

A strong leader will always be a strong leader, he just probably won't be doing it for Target.

I too was a district trainer, ran a great workcenter, and had the respect of my team. 12 years of my hard work and commitment were tossed aside when a new hire stl basically took a great process and changed it. When it didn't work, and I changed it back, I was labeled as someone who wasn't on board, and my job was made miserable every day. Throughout all of this, my peers, my team, they all took my side.

None of that matters. Like they say, you don't quit your job, you quit your boss. This is just the cyclical nature of target. I promise you, I'm not wrong.

I wish your team worked at my store. Cleaning up debris as you go??? Our team would never do that. They leave it for SFTMs to do it while they zone. :rolleyes:

I wish your team worked at my store. Cleaning up debris as you go??? Our team would never do that. They leave it for SFTMs to do it while they zone. :rolleyes:
We have one guy (let's just call him Bill) that handles all the clean up lol. 15 minutes before opening everyone's all over the walkie like, "Bill come grab this cage! BILL! Cage in stationary! BILL! BILL!!! OMFG BILL!!!"

@60SecondsRemaining - Well, we do have a new STL, but I think they seem to get along, and he was very good giving her a tour and explaining the processes in depth. He can be very charming, and they have a lot of things in common (e.g. athletic), and so I think he isn't going to face any uncertainties soon. Overall, he can get a long with anybody, and he has a way to impress people with his knowledge and competence at work.

@jadzia - Well, in order for something to be part of a routine, it's always important that incorrect behavior are resolved when that action took place. My ETL also would help out with the collecting of cartons or debris, and remind the team to do the same. Lead by example, and demonstrate clear expectations.

@BlueSide - LOL. That's so annoying. I'd hate to be that guy.

20 years ??? Wow ! He might have secretly enjoyed hearing LOD get into a panic mode 15 minutes before the open.

It's a safety issue - it's not a good idea to have only ONE person responsible to the entire store's clean-up. They might not even know where to look. The team who worked in that area or near that area should be responsible for that area as well.

I, myself, would pick up wrappers, small pieces of paper or l plastics left on the floor when I see one as I pass along an area.

Team leads here. Without a doubt. Our ETL's have a lot of things run past them, but if you throw a decision at them they'll have no idea and defer back down to a TL. (or GSA, in my case...)

Yeah, the front end is definitely ran by the GSA/GSTL. I correct my ETL on a regular basis, (she's ETL-GE/Salesfloor so she doesn't focus very much on the GE aspect), and she never argues, if I disagree with her she immediately assumes I am right and has no ego about it whatsoever. She's rather ineffective as ETL-GE, but at least she's not ineffective and adamant about always being right, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back