Archived Will I be terminated before my 90 days are over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been working Flow Team since September 25, so it’s been about 60 days.

I’ve been told I move slow A LOT, and received 2 coachings for that. I haven’t received a third, but my boss constantly says he’d have it done way before, even when my TL, (or is the term LOD?) says I’m fast (he actually told me I’ve improved and move faster now).

Other coworkers said the boss is a dick, to everyone, but that doesn’t change the fact that I’m completely vulnerable for the first 90 days (if I even last 90 days) and if he wants to get me fired even just to be a dick, he can make it happen.

Every damn morning I’m put in DOLLAR (front of the store with tons of $1-$10 items) and have to do it ALL BY MYSELF, and I’m given what I feel are unreasonable times (even if my TL says I’m fast, the boss and store manager are higher up, the store manager is the actual decider) to complete the pulls. Today I had a FULL, TALL, flat of boxes, AND a tub. My boss said that should take two hours (when the store opened). I managed to finish the tub in those hours, so I had to do the flat with the store open. (I go in at 6 AM) So I finished the tub but still have the flat at 8 AM, the store now open. I continue working, delaying my break. I knock out about half of the flat after I don’t know. My boss comes by and tells me “Take your break.” I take my break. I finish the flat at about 10 AM, then go to seasonal as instructed.

But before I finished dollar, the store manager walked into the store, and my boss showed him the flat and raised his hand up, obviously showing how much I had, most likely telling him how long it took me to do that much.

I’m terrified I’m going to be let go, retail has been brutal for me, there’s no way I could keep up in fast food, that’d be even way worse.

I’m 22 and haven’t done shit in my life, and I can’t until I’ve got some sort of stable full time employment, I can’t stand shit at home, I want and need to move out so bad, but I keep struggling in the work force. The hardest thing is the speed/pace they require. I thought the boss may just be harassing me cause he always jokes like that, but then the store manager came by and said it should be just as fast as the boss said (this was yesterday when I had 4 tubs, which I managed to finish 3 in 2 Hours, which my boss said was ok, as long as things weren’t blocking guests).

So yesterday, I got about 75% of my work done before the store happened, and today more like 50%, I finished everything in about 4 hours.......

It’d take even longer if I didn’t start just throwing things somewhere, like all the packs of pencils, god how I hate those....... I am flexing like I’m tokd to do though, but so many things like the orchids end up piled so bad over shelf slots, but that’s the only way to finish in time, which STILL takes longer than 2 hours!

Oh ya, today I also lost my box cutter and had to get a new one, my boss said that’s bad because children could find it and operate the blade. I did find it, but still, I looked bad for that, look at what he said!

It doesn’t even matter if they are mistreating and harassing me, that still doesn’t change the fact that they can terminate me anytime, for any reason, before 90 days.

All I want is to be able to support myself, live on my own, be able to date and play video games and stuff.

Just calm down and do your best. That doesn't really sound that slow to me, but you'll learn to memorize where stuff is over time anyways.
And don't sweat the box cutter. I've lost a good 4 or 5 those, nobody really cares at my store anyways. Just relx and you'll probably be fine, I think you're stressing yourself out over nothing.

Good advice above, no one can say what's going to happen but some advice.

A) Find some fast/hard working team members of the flow team and copy their tricks for speed or even better ask them how they work so quickly.

B) When pushing see spot don't over concern yourself with accuracy especially when the store is open. Takes 5 minutes for some soccer mom or kid to ruin your zone just put the product out quickly relatively in the correct place.

C) never tell anyone you lost a box cutter. Most stores aren't going to have ap check film to see who lost a box cutter. A zebra? Yes but a box cutter is not a big deal, most stores don't even label them. Reporting you lost one will cause some to think you are not responsible.

Last edited:
Agree with all of the above. Keep plugging through you are doing fine. I tell my idiot tls and lods time and time again at minimum it takes 6 months to a year for a new tm to get on par with seasoned tms. Between crap training and these dumb power trips to demoralize newbies its amazing they retain anyone. You need to remember alot of stores have that one leader that needs to bully someone to feel like their life spent as a supervisor in retail is an actual career and they cant with seasoned people because most of us wont play that game. Seasonals are easy targets let it wash over you and pay attention to what your peers think as far as your performance. If he terms you so be it its not a reflection of you just a reflection of his insecurities not being fed. Use the experience and keep working toward a job that fits you. Spot is always a great stepping stone and I have yet to see anyone who left who hasnt gone to something so much better.

Agree with all of the above. Keep plugging through you are doing fine. I tell my idiot tls and lods time and time again at minimum it takes 6 months to a year for a new tm to get on par with seasoned tms. Between crap training and these dumb power trips to demoralize newbies its amazing they retain anyone. You need to remember alot of stores have that one leader that needs to bully someone to feel like their life spent as a supervisor in retail is an actual career and they cant with seasoned people because most of us wont play that game. Seasonals are easy targets let it wash over you and pay attention to what your peers think as far as your performance. If he terms you so be it its not a reflection of you just a reflection of his insecurities not being fed. Use the experience and keep working toward a job that fits you. Spot is always a great stepping stone and I have yet to see anyone who left who hasnt gone to something so much better.

Something much better such as what? I’ve had 3 jobs ever, all this year, and I already lost the first two.

Something much better such as what? I’ve had 3 jobs ever, all this year, and I already lost the first two.
You would be surprised I know a cart attendant who went on to be a bank manager jo joke. Its all in how you write the resume my fellow spot minion. You can use all kinda of experience from jobs to pad a resume when you play with words. I had a friend who helps people professionally with theirs and she made me sound like some kinda fancy receptionist from just doing fitting room and sales floor stuff lmao. Talk to someone even if its a school thing or buddy or what have you. Doesnt matter what the experience is. Also just because you lost jobs doesnt mean its all gloom and doom. Learn and adapt. I have watched people get let go from numerous positions I learn from their mistakes and keep gettin on. Its a survival skill. Dont mean to sound harsh but pitty parties dont get you anything and I wasted 18yrs being privy to one my so called bff held. Im 9ver that noise. You know your strengths you know your weakness play the game right you got this. Dont let society make you feel different.

It's fairly common to bounce from job to job at your age. Some say its a reflection of not being able to stick with anything, but its commonly just trying to find the right fit.

Definitely relax. Your job is to punch in, pick things up and put them down, punch out and go home. Bullseye takes some feeling out how to stock it well. But that's not terribly slow for a new tm. I've got seasoned tm That go slower every day. Keep trying, ask for tips from your team lead and fellow tm. If you are trying we'd never cut you loose at my store. Our bigger concern is attendance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back