Archived Workplace professionalism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athena

Makin' a bail
We have an STL who is becoming more and more loose with his words and actions. He spends much of the day talking politics in clerical and on the sales floor.

This week was the lowest yet when he openly discussed his support for Chick-fil-a in clerical. The next day he visited the place 3 times to buy food for himself, etl's, and a TL. He took the time and effort to brag about it throughout the day. He frequently engages in public displays like this. It is very disrespectful and many people in the store are offended by it. Most of the ETL's go along with everything he says/does. This is not a question of values, but of professionalism, so what kind of rights do we have?

What can I do about an STL who spends much of his time at work trying to alienate people? Keeping in mind that:

• HR might as well be married to him- her head is shoved so far up his...
  • He is very rarely challenged by other TM's/ETL's
  • He is very agressive, but not outright mean
  • The hotline is ineffective at our store

We have an STL who is becoming more and more loose with his words and actions. He spends much of the day talking politics in clerical and on the sales floor.

This week was the lowest yet when he openly discussed his support for Chick-fil-a in clerical. The next day he visited the place 3 times to buy food for himself, etl's, and a TL. He took the time and effort to brag about it throughout the day. He frequently engages in public displays like this. It is very disrespectful and many people in the store are offended by it. Most of the ETL's go along with everything he says/does. This is not a question of values, but of professionalism, so what kind of rights do we have?

What can I do about an STL who spends much of his time at work trying to alienate people? Keeping in mind that:

• HR might as well be married to him- her head is shoved so far up his...
  • He is very rarely challenged by other TM's/ETL's
  • He is very agressive, but not outright mean
  • The hotline is ineffective at our store

Why is hotline ineffective

Most recent example: We had a TL who had multiple hotline calls against him (atleast 6) from different employees concerning bullying. No visible action or concern from management. Not only was he promoted shortly after to Sr. TL, he is being groomed as an ETL before he even has a degree.

STLs are usually out 18-24 months or sooner if theyre bad. Wait it out they always come and go!

That's what we were hoping for but he's already been here more than 2 years. :(

the best team survey is totally ineffective at my store, pretty much like the hotline. i hate to say it, but you may have to wait it out.

As someone who is hardcore into politics I would love getting into it with him.
I have Orthodox Jewish family and stuff like that is pretty much standard Shabbat dinner conversation.
However, as I learned from a thread I started on the subject, most folks aren't ready or willing to do that at work.
So might I suggest a quiet protest?
Everyone get Muppet stickers or toys and keep them in obvious places.
Offer him one.
Every day.
Keep it up till he gets the message.
Subtle might not work fast but it can be fun and effective.

Its definitely bad office ethics to proclaim your stance on a sensitive subject for the entire store to hear.

I say counter protest...Go to Bojangles or KFC.

Personally, I love ChickFila food. And have many gay friends. The chairman has a right to his personal beliefs. But I found it very convenient and to be a planned publicity stunt for the upcoming election.

I just wasn't going to feed into the media. So I advertised I was going to McDonalds to get a cheeseburger. But I don't plan to go back to ChickFila for a while.

Is he preventing you from doing your job? Is he approaching people preaching his beliefs? Is he rude to costumers and employees? If you answer yes to these questions you may have something. But 99% probably correct from what I read the answers are no. Just do your job to your best ability.

just call the hotline anonymously on every incident. even if nothing is done, it is documented. don't take sides, just state that they are loudly and openly voicing political issues in an environment where being neutral is the professional course of action.

I just want to give another update to this. We heard Friday the STL resigned (or was fired) this week. Rumor is he was messing around with the Logistics ETL and was either caught or reported.

Big shocker there. :buba: Yay karma.

Wow, that guy sounded like a turd. I think you have to pick and choose what you can talk about to whom. I mean if you are talking about politics in passing or just chit chat with a team member that isn't highly sensitive then I don't think anyone will die because of it. You just have to know your team members. Most team members that I have worked with are either apathetic or too busy to be informed. I'm an independent and if I state my political opinion, I usually always say "whatever floats your boat". An ETL or STL having sexual contact with another ETL or STL is just wow. Definitely not professional. Keep it in your pants. Have some self control.

Good to hear he's on his way out.
People like that are not good for a workplace, they make it uncomfortable for everyone even people who agree with them.

Wow, that guy sounded like a turd. I think you have to pick and choose what you can talk about to whom. I mean if you are talking about politics in passing or just chit chat with a team member that isn't highly sensitive then I don't think anyone will die because of it. You just have to know your team members. Most team members that I have worked with are either apathetic or too busy to be informed. I'm an independent and if I state my political opinion, I usually always say "whatever floats your boat". An ETL or STL having sexual contact with another ETL or STL is just wow. Definitely not professional. Keep it in your pants. Have some self control.

Although most of us will tell you we don't gossip about each other, the entire team does. It's just that we wait out the outcome as opposed to running to the HR (who doesn't really do anything anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back