Archived Wrongful termination? NEED FEEDBACK

Status
Not open for further replies.
He got banned from the store for telling the STL **** you, your two faced consider this as well my boyfriend actually did call the hotline months ago on our store for how he was treated as an employee and with slander from his boss he was early morning backroom at times when he had to go to work in the morning the Lod/ etl would not come to the door 15 mins after example 4 am shift the Lod/TL wouldn't come to the door until 415 am to let him in. And that person started slandering him saying how he is going to blow up the store I'm sorry I would never date someone in the company who would bomb the store we had another etl inform us who like my boyfriend alot and me about this rumor that person created about him hence he called the hotline talked to the stl about it and everything seemed to be okay 2-3 months later he was let go for a punch correction which everyone forgets to do, he even told hr about his punch 3 weeks later from that is when he was let go and yeah that's when he expressed how he felt to a few TMs after his leave. He never stole or anything If anything he spent a couple hundred there bought a 50 inch tv, iPad and yeah. They gave him a hard time even buying the iPad carded him which was funny to me because I've never seen that person card a team memeber ever. But again that's because of the slander he had over his head he's going bomb and rob the store thanks to his TL which obviously affected the way I was presented which everyone told me I have nothing to do with you. Now after he called corp about all of this no real corrective action was done with his TL, I believe that enitiy was wrote up for how she was treating him but pretty much a slap on the wrist

LOL Do what!?!?

Yeah that is what a team lead was saying about him as a team memeber which obviously was ridiculous and not true

Wow some people on these forums cannot learn to give the benefit of the doubt to your fellow team members (or former in this case). This situation sucks, again, I would at least try and get unemployment from them since they seemed to of screwed you over.

That whole iPad return thing, wow. I would get so angry at the LOD of that store if it happened to me.

Yeah I did the etl who let me go said target is allowing me to collect the unemployment, and I have that pension too that I get and my 401k too. Just it's a bummer I went back to my store today to get some of my items that I had there and everyone is still in shock, and wished I was still there working I was valued alot by atleast the team memebers some etls. But that one etl who I've worked with since our store opened just never liked me and she happened to be my main etl

Yeah I did the etl who let me go said target is allowing me to collect the unemployment, and I have that pension too that I get and my 401k too. Just it's a bummer I went back to my store today to get some of my items that I had there and everyone is still in shock, and wished I was still there working I was valued alot by atleast the team memebers some etls. But that one etl who I've worked with since our store opened just never liked me and she happened to be my main etl

Well thats good... I am still totally confused though! You can't say that your one ETL didn't like you so that is why you got termed (maybe if you were under your 90 days still but not 6 years into employment)... Even if the ETL didn't like you your HR and STL would have had to submit this term to the HRBP who would have reviewed it all... Obviously there was something you are leaving out that lead to your termination! I can't tell you what it is, but there is no way an HRBP would approve a termination that is wrongful or that doesn't have enough documentation to back it up and leave the company open to lawsuits...

This story is so full of it.
1. Why didn't you return/exchange it at your store? It doesn't matter it was 'his' return, you could have done a legitimate return without the hassle. He didn't have to be there. When I am buying or returning anything and there's the slightest chance that it could be interpreted as me getting over then I partner with AP and the LOD.
2. From MY experiences I have always seen other stores and employees look out for anyone in the company. You need some pizza dough, sure come get it. Oh your baler wire didn't come in, I'll drop it off on the way home tonight since I pass your store. You said employee X is good and needs weekend only shifts while he's home from college huh, not a problem we will get him some shifts. Support help, district resources, just general good will... The company has done a lot of ****ty changes to make profit and cut expenses, and there is often inter-store politics but for them to flat out refuse a return screams that it was bogus.
3. You better god damn believe I wouldn't have returned **** if you came in there from another store and told me how to do my job. While you're believing that you better believe that I'm calling your store also and busting you out from trying to scam and being an ass. Oh and yeah I would go overboard.
4. SHUT THE **** UP about what apple told you. Is the person you talked to at guest service doing the return? Does that person happen to work at the Target you are trying to return something to? No? Then I don't give one **** about what he told you, it's like those idiots who say - it said on the website you sold it and then you find out they went to a different company's website.
5. Getting banned from Target isn't easy. Your boyfriend did something you're not wanting to say. Even the guy at our store who got termed for performance and then went and tried to rob the bank (that's in the same shopping center) didn't get banned from Target.
6. Corrective action for being late, yeah I can see that, it happens. Corrective action for loafing...WTF! If you got in trouble for that then you were not the godsend employee you make yourself out to be. You were an underperformer who thought they were a top performer.
7. You would not have been termed over this if the termination wasn't 100% legit, if there was ANY chance of it being wrong then it wouldn't have happened. We are talking multiple stores in on this, if you don't think it went up to the HRBP before it happened then you're delusional.
8. How longer you've been there, what programs you started, how many areas you're cross-trained in, etc. etc. etc. - None of that matters with the issue you got termed for.

Your boyfriend got fired two week previous (including getting banned)? The iPad was bought two weeks ago? Another store wouldn't do a simple exchange for you? I'm willing to bet you two schemed a big discount on the iPad somehow, maybe repackaged it or used employee discount with a giftcard, etc. He got caught and termed. Then you probably tried to return it for a full refund, etc. Please fill us in on the information we are clearly missing so we can take your side!

Well to correct your statement of me being a under performer I was not what so ever. I gave the best guest service at my store to my guests, over all my guests came first to me I would have 2-4 guest comment cards in a week constant why because I vibed with them and went above and beyond too. I even had a letter from crop. Sent to my store because of it a guest admired my work that I was doing at my store which I think every store should do. My problems with being late were mainly because of my car, considering I was in a car accident back in June and bought a pos car considering that is all I could afford. My loafing right up was back in June, why because I had a cashier shift that day and I had an important phone call with my insurance company and no one knew where I was I told my gstl I should be about 5-10 mins which ended up being 20 which to me I shouldn't have been written up for that. The month I did not have a car I made sure I made it to work never called out because I didn't have a ride, never was late I lived 45 mins away from my job at that time too. So that is why I was written up for that not becuase I over slept or anything so before your judgmental, consider a persons life circumstances first

What exactly is an hrbp? Never heard of that, and no there's nothing else I'm leaving out I stated about I had two prior write ups late/ loafing which put me on a year probation I wasn't smart enough to fight the loafing one at the time, I just took it and continued to do my job.

So that is why I was written up for that not becuase I over slept or anything so before your judgmental, consider a persons life circumstances first

He was only judging based on the information given. If you wanted everyone to take your "life circumstances" into consideration before giving you feedback on your termination, you should have mentioned them.

What ETL said you can collect unemployment and such, because that ETL is full of it. Target will fight you on it, you may win but it won't be as easy as you make it sound. Also the team you say is so heartbroken really isn't. It provides gossip and a few may be upset but life goes on for them. That's just how it is, I don't mean it in a bad way, it happens all the time at every store. What does your termination paperwork say as the reason you were let go?

She never gave me paper work, I asked her for it and she said there wasn't any so I would like the paper work but apparently there was none according to her

This is why you have to be careful about asking for feedback on a forum.
If you don't give all the necessary information (which is going to be very hard to do) people are going to fill in the blanks with their own experiences.
You are not going to get answers you like at least 60% of the time.

My 2 cents ...
You were told that the circumstances that got your BF fired were considered "separate" from you.
But you had to know that meant they would be watching you twice as much from that point on.
Any excuse was going to do and you gave them one.

Apply for Unemployment, they owe you on this one.

What exactly is an hrbp? Never heard of that, and no there's nothing else I'm leaving out I stated about I had two prior write ups late/ loafing which put me on a year probation I wasn't smart enough to fight the loafing one at the time, I just took it and continued to do my job.

Your HRBP is the human resources business partner, and is the hr manager for your district! He or she would have actually looked over all your documentation and given the ETL-HR in your store the go ahead to term you! Honestly, I am assuming that the "write ups" are both Final Warnings... In which case you were on Final for attendance, final for loafing, and a final for multiple violations... at that point any screw up would be a termination which is why they got you on misrepresenting Target... It honestly sounds like they wanted to get rid of you and were just waiting to get you on something! I won't judge at that point since I don't know you...

Not saying anything bad, I just feel the OP is not providing the complete details about the return incident and termination. From my experience, calling Refund Authorization for a return override is not going to work no matter what. They will only state Target's return policy. They can only change a method of payment return usually if it was a split payment or CC account was closed.

If they couldn't perform the return, other than glancing at the receipt, then some how they determined you were a TM at a nearby store. Either you identified yourself as a TM or they called around.

If you do feel like you were wronged, you can request to view the video.

If you were being denied a return, you could have just asked for the Guest Relations card or gotten one yourself from your store, and called them.

Are Ipods still under the 90 day policy or they considered electronic/computer device and need to be returned within 30days or so?

Last edited:
Not saying anything bad, I just feel the OP is not providing the complete details about the return incident and termination. From my experience, calling Guest Relations for a return override is not going to work no matter what. They will only state Target's return policy. They can only change a method of payment return usually if it was a split payment or CC account was closed.

If they couldn't perform the return, other than glancing at the receipt, then some how they determined you were a TM at a nearby store. Either you identified yourself as a TM or they called around.

If you do feel like you were wronged, you can request to view the video.

If you were being denied a return, you could have just asked for the Guest Relations card or gotten one yourself from your store, and called them.

Are Ipods still under the 90 day policy or they considered electronic/computer device and need to be returned within 30days or so?

I agree about calling Guest Relations herself. I think you may be confusing guest relations with refund authorization though. You would call refund authorization about a method of payment issue. Guest Relations is a number that isn't really meant for team members to call for the guest, its meant for the guest. I've called it for guests before, but that's not really what its supposed to be used for. I agree we're missing some details, but like another poster said (Imerzan?) I could totally see the OP encounter several TMs and LODs that were just being douchebags. I came from whole store of them.

OP, One thing I'm really confused about...If it was your boyfriend's return, how was it traced back to you in the first place? Your TM number wouldn't have been on there (unless you let him use your discount) so how would the situation have been tied to you at all?

Last edited:
I know for me, it really irritates me when someone from a different store comes in as a guest and tries to tell me how to do my job. And nothing puts up my defenses faster than that.

You should have just done the return at your own store...your bf wouldn't have had to be present, and the entire thing could have been avoided.

Your HRBP is the human resources business partner, and is the hr manager for your district! He or she would have actually looked over all your documentation and given the ETL-HR in your store the go ahead to term you! Honestly, I am assuming that the "write ups" are both Final Warnings... In which case you were on Final for attendance, final for loafing, and a final for multiple violations... at that point any screw up would be a termination which is why they got you on misrepresenting Target... It honestly sounds like they wanted to get rid of you and were just waiting to get you on something! I won't judge at that point since I don't know you...

Its actually 3 cca to put you on a multi-cca. At this point youre on a automatic final.

@rg, we had one of those last night but the gstm didn't tell me until afterwards. It was for a video Carmela or something that was from a different store, and they were all being weird about the return because it was cash. The item was sealed perfectly so I was confused why it was even an issue since they had a receipt... Guest service cannot deny returns and play ap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you can, but we've had guests call Guest Relations before, and then someone from corporate will call us and tell us to either

a) Do the return
b) Do a no-receipt return

As long as they are abiding by the policy, we have to honor returns.

Even if someone steals an item off the shelf and tries to no-receipt return it, we would have to process the return. We can call AP up to try and deter them, but otherwise there is nothing we can do. At that point it is up to AP to apprehend the individual. Depending on the situation you MIGHT be able to deny this kind of return under the "returns without a receipt may be limited/restricted" clause, but that may vary from store to store.

Anyways this is all irrelevant. If a Team Member is displeased with their service in the store, they have every right to complain to the different tiers of management. As long as they aren't completely off the hook, there should be no reason that the HRBP would have to get involved. I've helped people at Guest Service with TM Discount cards, and they've been total jerks/assholes before, and we just shrugged it off afterwards.

@OP, It sounds like they're giving you at least unemployment because they know that they didn't have a lot of grounds for firing you. If you care enough for your job, you might be able to sue spot for wrongful termination.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you can, but we've had guests call Guest Relations before, and then someone from corporate will call us and tell us to either

a) Do the return
b) Do a no-receipt return

As long as they are abiding by the policy, we have to honor returns.

Even if someone steals an item off the shelf and tries to no-receipt return it, we would have to process the return. We can call AP up to try and deter them, but otherwise there is nothing we can do. At that point it is up to AP to apprehend the individual. Depending on the situation you MIGHT be able to deny this kind of return under the "returns without a receipt may be limited/restricted" clause, but that may vary from store to store.

Anyways this is all irrelevant. If a Team Member is displeased with their service in the store, they have every right to complain to the different tiers of management. As long as they aren't completely off the hook, there should be no reason that the HRBP would have to get involved. I've helped people at Guest Service with TM Discount cards, and they've been total jerks/assholes before, and we just shrugged it off afterwards.

@OP, It sounds like they're giving you at least unemployment because they know that they didn't have a lot of grounds for firing you. If you care enough for your job, you might be able to sue spot for wrongful termination.

Great answer!

I can't say for sure, but I would think they'd be under the 30-day policy.

Yeah we were but his date expired to return it on 1-24-2013!! And I believe it was 45 days to return we used the red card which for the holidays they extend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back