Archived 10 years... goodbye... how Target has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its all true. The death spiral has begun. We are just a couple years ahead of Kmart but we are dying.

No one cares, anyone who wants to do better is forced out and mediocre is how you get ahead. I am just taking the money but don't give two shits about the work, cause no one else really does.

I entered about the same time as you. And every word you wrote is so undeniable true. The people we have running the company is what I like to call the 'now' generation. They don't know how to look back to look forward. Maybe a few.... But the majority are only looking literally at last week, this week and next week. And no one is looking at how to fix problems. Or working together. And certainly not staffing. I certainly agree with you. Good luck on your future ventures. I understand pouring your heart and soul... And then ________.(⬅️ Nothing)

Sales and traffic were disappointing to him. They lowered guidance and we still didn't meet the lowered expectations.

8 years in for me so far and you nailed it, every word is true. I have said 1000 times you cannot run a market like it was GM store. You need to allow time for employees to restock vendor product when need be instead of letting it sit in the backroom because its not any ones job ..let the guest suffer. You need time to FIFO, guests should not find food that expired in 2014 , you need to staff your bakery, deli, produce and meat departments with TRAINED employees. You need more than a minute a box to take care of FOOD when stocking.

Go to any supermarket and see how its run if you need clues, and Btw Target, you need clues. Supertarget employee here can you tell?

Come to Walmart. Believe it or not, after I left Target and started for them I've found regards for employees to actually be better. And there's none of the ridiculous lingo for everything. Pay is better too, yep even for your equivalent which would be Assistant Manager or Co Manager, which for you, could probably get straight away.

The day I leave Target, I would never go to Wal-Mart. It would be a wake up call for me lol

A wake up call for you? So you think working at Target makes you too good for there? Let me tell you something. Just like a lot of your shoppers, a lot of your workers come from Walmart. Do they magically become different people once they come there? Ha! That's so shallow of you to assume that working for Target makes you better. I've found from having worked at both, that Target is much worse in a lot of ways. For example, if you want more hours, not only can you work in different areas, its incredibly easy to work at other stores. You clock in at your store, travel there work, fill in your lunch (which is an hour BTW) on the WIRE, fill out a sheet to compensate you for gas and your food, then drive back and clock out at your store. They even allow overtime if you want to do this. I've had many a week I've had 50-60 hours because I wanted it. We also don't feel like tools by allowing scammers to come in and do whatever we want because...you know, 'vibe'. Not all the assistants are great, but at least Nome of them are complete incompetent newly graduated college student tools like Targets. So next time you need to check yourself, because sometimes Tue grass is greener because its fake.

A wake up call for you? So you think working at Target makes you too good for there? Let me tell you something. Just like a lot of your shoppers, a lot of your workers come from Walmart. Do they magically become different people once they come there? Ha! That's so shallow of you to assume that working for Target makes you better. I've found from having worked at both, that Target is much worse in a lot of ways. For example, if you want more hours, not only can you work in different areas, its incredibly easy to work at other stores. You clock in at your store, travel there work, fill in your lunch (which is an hour BTW) on the WIRE, fill out a sheet to compensate you for gas and your food, then drive back and clock out at your store. They even allow overtime if you want to do this. I've had many a week I've had 50-60 hours because I wanted it. We also don't feel like tools by allowing scammers to come in and do whatever we want because...you know, 'vibe'. Not all the assistants are great, but at least Nome of them are complete incompetent newly graduated college student tools like Targets. So next time you need to check yourself, because sometimes Tue grass is greener because its fake.
That's not what I meant at all but it was fun reading your rant. I meant I wouldn't leave retail to go to another retail business. It's enough dealing with it at Target :p

Last edited:
13 years at the T and I've seen all those cuts and more. I worked for another major department store before Target and we closed all those down...they were bought out by another retailer and guess what...20+ years later they are back to running how the stores we closed ran. Target keeps looking for shortcuts and keeps remaking itself but the truth is the backbone...drive...heart and soul of Target are those in the stores. Us lifers or whatever you want to call it know what it takes to be a successful store...company. Cutting hours, slashing positions, using programs and equipment that take years to function correctly isn't how to do it. To those who have never walked in the shoes of a team member should take some time to step off their lil perch and do it because truth is if you demand it, expect it, refuse anything but then you better be able to do it exactly as you require us to. Target needs to figure it out quickly or else we will be part of the What ever happen to group.

Come to Walmart. Believe it or not, after I left Target and started for them I've found regards for employees to actually be better. And there's none of the ridiculous lingo for everything. Pay is better too, yep even for your equivalent which would be Assistant Manager or Co Manager, which for you, could probably get straight away.

I imagine most of us once we leave Target, wwill leave retail for good. Not for Target's big brother.

Last edited:
13 years at the T and I've seen all those cuts and more. I worked for another major department store before Target and we closed all those down...they were bought out by another retailer and guess what...20+ years later they are back to running how the stores we closed ran. Target keeps looking for shortcuts and keeps remaking itself but the truth is the backbone...drive...heart and soul of Target are those in the stores. Us lifers or whatever you want to call it know what it takes to be a successful store...company. Cutting hours, slashing positions, using programs and equipment that take years to function correctly isn't how to do it. To those who have never walked in the shoes of a team member should take some time to step off their lil perch and do it because truth is if you demand it, expect it, refuse anything but then you better be able to do it exactly as you require us to. Target needs to figure it out quickly or else we will be part of the What ever happen to group.

Amen let's get Brian on Undercover Boss, I wonder if he could keep up with some of you HL/Logistics people.

Its all true. The death spiral has begun. We are just a couple years ahead of Kmart but we are dying.

No one cares, anyone who wants to do better is forced out and mediocre is how you get ahead. I am just taking the money but don't give two shits about the work, cause no one else really does.
Same

Just a few years ahead of Kmart? Scary but I feel that's true. For some reason I feel afraid of losing my job often while I'm at work. Things I hear about from leaders performancing TMs out is freaky to me.

At almost 8 years here & I feel the same. I have said (or thought) every thing the OP said. I think Target is committing suicide by stabbing itself with a needle. A SLOW death one little pin prick at a time & the funny thing is that they don't even realize what they are doing (but SO many of us at the store level see it SO plainly).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back