MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
The pricing team is gone, the POG team is gone, backroom team gone, VM's gone. It all lands on the sales floor team members. Hours cut from 37 to between 25 to 30. Our STL told us no current team members are allowed to be promoted, they will only hire outside people now. The TL and ETL people are people managers now, but they dont know anything about Target to actually help TM. Since the experiment, they are adding even more ETL's but not TM. we have lost soo many good people to other companies, who are willing to match pay to keep good people.

🤣 did you get your information on the onion???

Does anyone know what the goal of modernization is supposed to be? Or what problems it's supposed to solve? In our meeting our STL touted how great and tested this is going to be. I asked him what exactly was wrong with how things were 15,10 or even a year ago and how exactly this would correct that but he couldn't name anything. Just gave some talking points on how this is tested and efficient and we all need to be onboard. A few years ago we stocked the store when it was closed and we were always "great by 8." There were different teams that each had one job to do and did it fast (stocking only, backstocking only.) If you sucked at what you were hired for you were moved into another job you did well at. Now it seems you must be an expert at everything and focus your entire shift on 5 or 6 different tasks, rather then just one but being phenomenal at it.
TESTED AND EFFICIENT?!? That's so stupid it's funny. I was a test store. Most inefficient method I've ever seen!

Does anyone know what the goal of modernization is supposed to be? Or what problems it's supposed to solve? In our meeting our STL touted how great and tested this is going to be. I asked him what exactly was wrong with how things were 15,10 or even a year ago and how exactly this would correct that but he couldn't name anything. Just gave some talking points on how this is tested and efficient and we all need to be onboard. A few years ago we stocked the store when it was closed and we were always "great by 8." There were different teams that each had one job to do and did it fast (stocking only, backstocking only.) If you sucked at what you were hired for you were moved into another job you did well at. Now it seems you must be an expert at everything and focus your entire shift on 5 or 6 different tasks, rather then just one but being phenomenal at it.
The goal is to maximize profit since they have to pay $15 an hour. So they need to cut hours and expect you to run the entire store. Shareholders would get mad otherwise.

I’m assuming they mean theoretically. Since everyone is learning a new process they want leaders to manage the team as if they’re in their first 90 days. That’s a good thing for the team not a bad thing. It’s not a “we can fire them all within the next 90 days” it’s more of a “give them 90 days to adjust before coaching and documenting them”

Does anyone know what the goal of modernization is supposed to be?

payroll cut disguised as a payroll bump

Or what problems it's supposed to solve

the "paying too many people" problem

I asked him what exactly was wrong with how things were 15,10 or even a year ago and how exactly this would correct that but he couldn't name anything.

Someone's getting fired for being 0.5 seconds late pretty soon

payroll cut disguised as a payroll bump
Have they ever said anything that remotely resembles this? Everything I’ve heard is all about efficiency, which is blatantly implying a payroll cut. Unless you meant “pay bump” and not “payroll bump”.

Have they ever said anything that remotely resembles this? Everything I’ve heard is all about efficiency, which is blatantly implying a payroll cut. Unless you meant “pay bump” and not “payroll bump”.
You give people more per hour which on the surface looks like you are investing in your team but you are actually slashing the teams hours at the same time so in the end.... You have less people working less hours than before the raise to equal things out. There for you can run the team on the same or less amount of payroll even with the raise increase that we still aren't even at yet. I believe it was just worded weirdly.

The pricing team is gone, the POG team is gone, backroom team gone, VM's gone. It all lands on the sales floor team members. Hours cut from 37 to between 25 to 30. Our STL told us no current team members are allowed to be promoted, they will only hire outside people now. The TL and ETL people are people managers now, but they dont know anything about Target to actually help TM. Since the experiment, they are adding even more ETL's but not TM. we have lost soo many good people to other companies, who are willing to match pay to keep good people.

If they refuse to promote internally this system is actually doomed. Why would anyone ever do all this work with no hours, no bonuses, or incentives beyond a .30 cent pay raise?

15 isnt enough to keep what amounts to underpayed managers with no benefits or upward mobility around. Other stores will just see Target as a prime training ground for new recruits they can scalp and promote, especially since every other retail worker I know does way less work than I do and get paid similar even in higher positions.

depends on state. in mine unless your a protected class and you can prove the class was the reason for firing, you can be termed as long as it doesnt violate the employment agreement or handbook documentation. thanks to at will, you too can get canned for a 1 minute late violation and a follow up of a 1 min late lunch! joking aside yes most at will states have this.

I’m assuming they mean theoretically. Since everyone is learning a new process they want leaders to manage the team as if they’re in their first 90 days. That’s a good thing for the team not a bad thing. It’s not a “we can fire them all within the next 90 days” it’s more of a “give them 90 days to adjust before coaching and documenting them”
This. A kind of training amnesty. Everyone needs to be trained on more things now, so for the first 3 months of modernization, you will get that chance. This is great for tms who have been with Target for some time, aren't sure how to do something, and are too embarrassed to ask because if their length of service.

If they refuse to promote internally this system is actually doomed. Why would anyone ever do all this work with no hours, no bonuses, or incentives beyond a .30 cent pay raise?

15 isnt enough to keep what amounts to underpayed managers with no benefits or upward mobility around. Other stores will just see Target as a prime training ground for new recruits they can scalp and promote, especially since every other retail worker I know does way less work than I do and get paid similar even in higher positions.

Exactly this. If this is true company wide, it would pretty much break any desire I had left to tough out modernization.

I started in flow and even though it wasn't a financial promotion, moving to the POG team and then on to Signing felt like moving in the right direction. With more responsibility, working closer with TLs, ETLs and the STL I felt like I was both learning a lot more about the store and showing exactly what I was capable of.

So I was trying to be optimistic about likely being moved back to a single area, thinking that I worked my way "up" once, and have already shown leadership that I was capable of extra responsibilities, able to learn quickly, etc. I was holding out hope that I could do the same thing again and maybe end up in a leadership position once the modernization dust settled if I stuck with it and stayed positive.

But if I find out that isn't an option, I don't see the point. That would be the 3rd strike. I could handle a reduction in hours if it was 4a-8a like it used to be. Or maybe even 6-10. But if I land in one of the areas where they have people doing 9-1, 11-3, etc, that would make finding a second job pretty difficult. Especially since I know they're going to want me to stay "late" when Q4 rolls back around so I'd probably need at least a couple hour buffer between usual schedule for both jobs.

~Wild idea~ but TL and SrTL should be “stripped” of their titles and made to interview again. Why? Because so many of them are complacent, don’t produce results, and in any given store there are many who would love the chance to promote. It’s important to keep these people on their toes. But again, maybe that’s just me, seeing how 80% of the leads at my store take a full shift to *maybe* set up an endcap and always say they have “stuff on the ground” to avoid heading up for back up. Perfect, put all of it in a 3 tier and leave it by the register you’re about to jump on!

~Wild idea~ but TL and SrTL should be “stripped” of their titles and made to interview again. Why? Because so many of them are complacent, don’t produce results, and in any given store there are many who would love the chance to promote. It’s important to keep these people on their toes. But again, maybe that’s just me, seeing how 80% of the leads at my store take a full shift to *maybe* set up an endcap and always say they have “stuff on the ground” to avoid heading up for back up. Perfect, put all of it in a 3 tier and leave it by the register you’re about to jump on!
Ok and you work in what workcenter?!

For those stores already running E2E in beauty, I except my team to only own cosmetics backstock, but knowing my leadership and my team, I know that’s not going to happen.
Is there any stores that have the beauty backstocking anything else, say HBA/Pharm? My cosmetics and pharm are right near each other so I can see where that would be beneficial, but the inbound team just dumps shit even in my cosmetics backstock, so just want to be prepared.

Don’t see why that matters, but I’ll humor you: SFS.
It matters because have you only done SFS? Or are you cross trained in all processes in the store? I'm asking because ASANTS! I realize you stated that 80% of your leads are not performing. You also stated that they take up their full shift to get an endcap set. Well we can say the same thing with Team Members in general that can't get their tasks done in a 4 hour shift. I realize this is your opinion but did you even stop to think that setting a sales planner in say Pharmacy is very different from setting a sales planner in bedding? I would like to be able to go backup cashier cause you know there's no one else at the moment but sometimes you need to pick and choose your battles. Are you going to be able to explain to your lead that your endcap is empty because you were in backup for an hour and now it's time for you to go home? So therefore it'll sit empty till the next time you work. I don't think that will bode well with your lead.
It's same thing with SFS. I'm pretty sure you have timelines as well so don't be so quick to judge that TL's are complacent.

Last edited:
It matters because have you only done SFS? Or are you cross trained in all processes in the store? I'm asking because ASANTS! I realize you stated that 80% of your leads are not performing. You also stated that they take up their full shift to get an endcap set. Well we can say the same thing with Team Members in general that can't get their tasks done in a 4 hour shift. I realize this is your opinion but did you even stop to think that setting a sales planner in say Pharmacy is very different from setting a sales planner in bedding. I would like to be able to go backup cashier cause you know there's no one else at the moment but sometimes you need to pick and choose your battles. Are you going to be able to explain to your lead that your endcap is empty because you were in backup for an hour and now it's time for you to go home? So therefore it'll sit empty till the next time you work. I don't think that will bode well with your lead.
It's same thing with SFS. I'm pretty sure you have timelines as well so don't be so quick to judge that TL's are complacent.
I’m cross trained in every department minus Consumables and Guest Service, so next! Being predominantly SFS you get to interact with every department in the store, and you come to learn how stuff is done, set, and who to go to when you need help because they know their stuff and are eager to help! And yes, ASANTS! Maybe YOU aren’t complacent, maybe you are ( and that’s why you’re getting pretty defensive, oo? ). I don’t know you; you don’t know me. What IM saying is that if Target wants to keep succeeding, they should pay attention to who they’re losing: harding working team members who are eager to work and service guests! Why are they losing them? Because they keep stringing these people along with the bench crap, telling them that if they just wait, they’ll get promoted! And these people -rightly- get sick of it. Sick of the lies and fake promises, of seeing current TLs and SrTL continue on despite being unable to deliver results. And let me anticipate your question: how do you, a lowly team member, know about MY results? Well, because TLs and the like talk! We know what goes down in your guys’ super secret meetings. But I suppose the jig is up now, right?

Back