MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
We increased our sales. But our expenses out paced our NI percentage wise. What we've experienced was the "good news" effect of Sales. Remember a while back when our margin took a hit? Our Stock Price tanked with "bad news".

EPS has been supported by Target's stock buy back. If you added back what we purchase this past year, it would have reduced EPS by about .4 which is significant. Even more so in the past. Going forward, Spot will closely keep the outstanding shares limited as to support a $5.50 or better EPS. We'll have a better idea if we go a year or two without stock buy backs.

The actual benefit/cost of SFS and OPU have not been fully realized yet. Until then, I wouldn't look at that as win as it is very small percentage of our overall business.

Truth be told, we can increase SFS to a point to where it starts to cannibalize store sales and profitability. Not to mention capacity constraints. If we don't do some thing on the DC Online Sales support soon, we'll reach a plateau of not being able to meet demand.

That will be bad.

While I recognize that SFS isn't fully realized yet it's a necessity to stay competitive in the market. Amazon is entering the grocery separately from whole foods and the overall parabolic rise of sales online only further indicates target will either have to progress into the online space further and work to become a niche store with their brands that separate themselves.

I’m thinking our store will be the same. Because a few of our inbound move to pog. Either that or our pog experts will move to 8am and only get 6 hour shifts. Then stay late all the time to get er done.

I still have the same amount of tm on my Plano team. Name stays the same we aren’t moving anyone to inbound and we aren’t adding any tm yet. Only difference is the time from 4am to 6am. We all get 7.25 hr shifts but leave when done. HR knows not to Harass my team about “it’s time to clock out for the day”

I still have the same amount of tm on my Plano team. Name stays the same we aren’t moving anyone to inbound and we aren’t adding any tm yet. Only difference is the time from 4am to 6am. We all get 7.25 hr shifts but leave when done. HR knows not to Harass my team about “it’s time to clock out for the day”
If you’re a pog tl your store hasn’t made all the changes yet.

If you’re a pog tl your store hasn’t made all the changes yet.

I won’t be setting pogs with my team anymore but that’s nothing new! My team is self sufficient and cross trained to do everything I do except having convos with tm’s but they will still fall under my alignment and my leadership. And yes starting April I’ll be taking on inbound to cover the other leaders day off. We haven’t had a log for some months now and I think stl is tired of covering those early shifts anyways

Forget GM Expert I’m a fken Fulfillment Expert even though my leaderships are GM now we’re going to still be on our own again.. Corporate doesn’t realize how important Flex Fulfillment is they always cut our hours and leave lots of gap throughout the day leading to missed goals & high infs.

Found out my store won’t have any Inbound Operations ETL and also no Fulfillment Operations TL as always. I was hoping to drink the Kool aid since throughout the whole Q4 i was the trainer & captain for the Flex process. We have sooo much ETLs and TLs since were high volume but funny shyt is they gave up entirely the whole Logistics process. ETL Specialty Sales, ETL S&E, ETL HR, ETL AP, ETL General Merch & Food Sales, Another ETL SS Style.. 6 General Merch TL fken insane my store thinks they’ll get owned in hardlines so that’s why so much business owners 1 Food TL 1 Food service. 6 Specialty Sales TL 3 each ETL. 2 S&E TL 1 Closing TL AP TL.

Last edited:
Do do realize part of the cost of goods increase is the pay increases towards 15 and overhead of offer free 2day shipping to compete right? The overhead isn't a sign of failure it's an acquired risk they knew they were taking on to be competitive.

If you take a hit in expenses, then the return should be substantial along with the environment. Think about digging a ditch by hand versus renting equipment to do it. Yeah, you take a hit on the cost right away, but your done in a couple of hours versus a couple of days and heading off to the next job. You made more by spending the money up front and your overall expenses decrease each additional ditch you dig.

We did not see any relief or movement in any way. It got a whole lot worse. It took a seasoned TL 4 mos to implement. How much more time are they going to spend managing it? As soon as that TL moves on the next one takes over, it will most likely take a substantial step back.

As for Sales, we basically stayed/moved in a somewhat neutral way. Were we competitive or the benefit of a strong economy? If you ran a ROI (Return on Investment) on this, it would yanked immediately as it would trend negatively.

This why you take snap shots of the business at predetermined intevals of the implementation. That away you can stop the bleeding before it drains the body.

This what I've been saying about us not measuring this thing at the store level and reporting back. We should have incremental objectives that all of us are aware of and working towards attaining. Measurements should be going up the ladder for reporting back to the group that is responsible for this new program.

It was very short sighted of our leadership not to roll this out in a lower volume district and perfected it first before pushing it company wide. We would be in a much better position company wide. Too many problems of the same nature being reported on this board. A bad sign for all of us struggling to make this work.

While I recognize that SFS isn't fully realized yet it's a necessity to stay competitive in the market. Amazon is entering the grocery separately from whole foods and the overall parabolic rise of sales online only further indicates target will either have to progress into the online space further and work to become a niche store with their brands that separate themselves.

We almost waited too long. If we has pursued this a lot earlier and built for the future, we would not only had dedicated facilities for on line fulfillment but capacity in the stores to offset season fluctuations.

Amazon is entering grocery because that's where there is room for huge growth in online sales and for someone to figure out how to do it best and become the leader in the space. Unfortunately, Target is already far behind in the area. I can order my cereal from Target as a drive-up and that's convenient. But, whoops, I can't order milk to go with that cereal. I can get that same milk and cereal from a couple of different grocery chains and Wal-Mart though. I wonder where I should order my groceries from? I don't really need to wonder who other people are ordering from. I just have to go to the grocery store down the street from my Target and realize that they always have 3-4 employees picking orders for pick up and delivery. I guess Target has Shipt now, so their is delivery in some areas and that's nice. It's not in my area. But, for the last couple of years I've had the option to order groceries from two different chains directly from their website and have them delivered by store employees in vans that have the chains' names on them.

Target is years behind in the space. No amount of streamlining in-store processes with modernization is going to help us catch up there. We're just now running a small pilot for cold products. Meanwhile our competitors have long since figured out the obvious and installed refrigerated hold areas for online orders. But, yeah, maybe their is a very small (very, very small) niche we can get into for the few people who prefer our store brand potato chips to the other store brands.

Amazon is entering grocery because that's where there is room for huge growth in online sales and for someone to figure out how to do it best and become the leader in the space. Unfortunately, Target is already far behind in the area. I can order my cereal from Target as a drive-up and that's convenient. But, whoops, I can't order milk to go with that cereal. I can get that same milk and cereal from a couple of different grocery chains and Wal-Mart though. I wonder where I should order my groceries from? I don't really need to wonder who other people are ordering from. I just have to go to the grocery store down the street from my Target and realize that they always have 3-4 employees picking orders for pick up and delivery. I guess Target has Shipt now, so their is delivery in some areas and that's nice. It's not in my area. But, for the last couple of years I've had the option to order groceries from two different chains directly from their website and have them delivered by store employees in vans that have the chains' names on them.

Target is years behind in the space. No amount of streamlining in-store processes with modernization is going to help us catch up there. We're just now running a small pilot for cold products. Meanwhile our competitors have long since figured out the obvious and installed refrigerated hold areas for online orders. But, yeah, maybe their is a very small (very, very small) niche we can get into for the few people who prefer our store brand potato chips to the other store brands.

I don't see why people are so ecstatic to have target fail. And don't be a condescending ass you know good and well I was referring to our brand launches such as project 62, stars above and colise which all have been performing well not to mention partnerships like H&H.

Furthermore Target and Walmart don't even share a demographic.

I don't see why people are so ecstatic to have target fail. And don't be a condescending ass you know good and well I was referring to our brand launches such as project 62, stars above and colise which all have been performing well not to mention partnerships like H&H.

Pointing out that Target is way behind where it needs to be in online grocery shopping =/= estatic to have Target fail. Far from it.

I'm sorry, but none of the brands that you mention make a whit of difference in my store's online sales. Market, Chemicals, Paper, HBA, Diapers, Baby, Beauty. Those are my leaders followed by plastics and infant clothing, which Cat & Jack benefits from but is that the brand or the simple fact that moms make up a large percentage of our online orderers and that's just the biggest brand we sell?

Those are my volume sellers. We sell the occassional Project 62 desk and that's great, but it makes little difference in the end. There's a reason that certain things are PP1. They have to be on the shelves. People need them. If they can't get them at Target, they are going to go somewhere else. And, you are living in an absolute fantasy land if you don't think we share a dempographic with our number one competitor. Target Mom might prefer us, but if we don't have the diapers she wants, she's off to Wal-Mart. The baby isn't going to hold it in until we fill the shelves.

The more times people have to go to other stores, specifically Wal-Mart our number one comeptitor for customers, the more likely it is that they will begin just going to other stores before they go to Target. And, because they are no longer going to Target for their essentials they won't be swinging by Universal Thread to see if we got anything cute in. Then, we'll see how successful those brands are.

tl;dr I barely think about H&H or care about all the counts in the section being ridiculously off. It doesn't matter. The tampon aisle though? I'm making sure that's all done right and fixing it if it isn't.

Back