MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
.. but why? Isn't the entire point of a pilot to test and adjust a new process so that rolling it out goes smoothly?

I don't understand why they would test a new process for over a year in select stores, identify all the problems.. and completely ignore them, rolling the new process out in exactly the same way to all the other stores. What was the point of the pilot?

They were testing how low they could push hours for many processes. 27.5 hours is the new normal. Never again will we see 40 after every wayward hour is gobbled in the next few weeks. No 30 minute breaks. No healthcare for a majority of their workforce. They'll more than break even on the $15 promise. It's a brave new Targety world.

You said team, as in more than one person.

It is impossible for someone to do absolutely everything in 4-5 hours, let alone 6-8 hours.
And most shifts are 6.5 hours. The most are 7 hour shifts. And there is no team here. You are working individually being part of a group. Instead of market team, it should be market group. I am sick of this treatment.

So that's not just my store. My PPTL told me something similar a couple weeks back when he gave me the heads up that signing was being killed and that I'd probably end up back in an area. That I'd almost certainly be assigned a workload that couldn't be finished in a short shift, and he would then be expected to write me up for it. And he would feel bad about it, he's going to do what he has to do to keep his job. (I'm pretty sure we are over TL headcount and since his is one of the positions actually being eliminated, I'm sure there's some pressure there).

It sucks, but I don't blame him for not wanting to point out the ridiculousness of the expectations. They'd just replace him with someone who would be fine with directing traffic at the revolving door until they figure out that maybe it's the expectations and not the TMs that should change.
He should just find another job and leave the company for good. At least he was being up front with you. I'm not in favor of any coachings at all especially how the stl has no sense of direction with the process then what is the point to coach when there isn't the right way to do this. I would be up front like that TL of yours too. And in the meantime, I would plan my way out the company.

Same I’m so pissed off
I'm not happy either. I'm sending my resume where ever I can. My store has bungled this rollout with little direction and lots of threats. We've basically being told to forget our training with no real direction beyond, "get with this program that we can't really give you details about or you 're going to be termed out." The moral is zip- you can cut the tension with a knife-and people are leaving left and right.

I'm not happy either. I'm sending my resume where ever I can. My store has bungled this rollout with little direction and lots of threats. We've basically being told to forget our training with no real direction beyond, "get with this program that we can't really give you details about or you 're going to be termed out." The moral is zip- you can cut the tension with a knife-and people are leaving left and right.

It hasn’t rolled out with us yet... I think where a lower volume store nothing has been discussed and our GSTL is brand new and has no clue what he’s doing

Truth is ASSANTS...Target's are similar but not the same and to clump everyone into one big IT HAS TO WORK THIS WAY OR ELSE is setting certain stores up for failure. At the store level we should be able to tweek the process accordingly as long as we can speak to the change and show the reasoning. If all Target wants is YES people then let the shit show begin. I'm not against modernization buy I am against unreasonable expectations and bull headed management that won't look at stores on an individual basis. Diversity say what?

Print the backroom detail report and circle the names that are creating errors, and show your ETL log. They should care.

What I don't understand about that is almost every time I "create" an error, I'm not the one who put the product in a waco without scanning it in. Or put similar products in scanned in as one of them (both shampoo and conditoner just scanned in as shampoo, for example).

Now, I do try to cheat when I can just to keep my name off of the report (being very careful when I see similar items, checking mywork to see which was actually scanned in). But when pulling SFS/OPU, that's not always practical to check every item to make sure it's scanned in before actually scanning them all in e-pick to update the location/get the item from the salesfloor.

So really it seems that the person who "creates" the error may not have done anything wrong (unless we are supposed to be cheating the system telling it we pulled stuff that wasn't there, etc). Most times they've only "identified" an error. At least in my experience.

I already make more than $15/hr, but thanks. That isn't what I was saying.

Why didn't corporate take feedback from the pilot stores to ensure a smooth rollout? It's a legitimate question. If you posed this same scenario in business school, you'd flunk out. So why did they go about it this way? Why rollout half a process in the meantime as well? None of it makes any sense.
Obviously they're all smarter than business skewl!

Print the backroom detail report and circle the names that are creating errors, and show your ETL log. They should care.

Except the person who is on the list isn't necessarily the person who created the error.

Example: You correctly STO an item. Someone else removes it from the location without scanning. You "created" the error and did nothing wrong.

Except the person who is on the list isn't necessarily the person who created the error.

Example: You correctly STO an item. Someone else removes it from the location without scanning. You "created" the error and did nothing wrong.

Sorry, please correct me if I'm wrong on this but from what I understand of how it could be your error is when you are doing pulls and you scanned something that wasn't located. You're marked as someone who "created' the error by finding a baffle. Another is when you press "yes" when the zebra ask you if you have scanned everything in the waco meaning you have found a ghost. So the times you are marked as creating errors are when you found baffles or ghosts. I believe that's the whole point of scanning every item when you pull. You find the baffles and the ghosts and correct those issues as the zebra should backstock the baffles and deletes the ghosts when you are done with your tasks. I really don't think is was because you STO something correctly but then created the error when someone removes that something without scanning bec otherwise I would have been on that list a lot and I am one of those with the least errors (only once or twice).

Sorry, please correct me if I'm wrong on this but from what I understand of how it could be your error is when you are doing pulls and you scanned something that wasn't located. You're marked as someone who "created' the error by finding a baffle. Another is when you press "yes" when the zebra ask you if you have scanned everything in the waco meaning you have found a ghost. So the times you are marked as creating errors are when you found baffles or ghosts. I believe that's the whole point of scanning every item when you pull. You find the baffles and the ghosts and correct those issues as the zebra should backstock the baffles and deletes the ghosts when you are done with your tasks. I really don't think is was because you STO something correctly but then created the error when someone removes that something without scanning bec otherwise I would have been on that list a lot and I am one of those with the least errors (only once or twice).

If your number STOs something and it registers as a ghost later, because someone removed it without scanning the error drops under the number of the person who STOs it.

Ive been a Sr TL for 3 years so i know what im talking about. I took over the new sort process back in october, and I was right there with everyone in this thread. My store was not ready for the changes, alot of people refused to buy in and our results showed. Our BRLA was at a 85%, trucks werent getting done, workload wasnt getting done... you get the point. It literally took us 4 months of HELL to iron out all the kinks and it took alot of converstations and turnover before any progress was made. The past 1-2 month has been a total 180 across the store. BRLA is at 97% with a few opps, trucks are getting done majority of the time (domestics is still struggling), our backroom stays clean since all owners are held accountable, and the floor looks great most of the time. I really do feel everyones frustrations and can see where you dont think any of this can work. But trust me it works as long as you have the right people in place and are holding people accountable.

How is your cosmetics/HBA as far as break out? It’s been a constant struggle for my team having Uboat a full of repacks, detrashing when (from what my STL said and I read it as well) inbound owning break out and detrashing.

it seems that the person who "creates" the error may not have done anything wrong (unless we are supposed to be cheating the system telling it we pulled stuff that wasn't there, etc). Most times they've only "identified" an error. At least in my experience.

I feel something similar as SFS. Am I the person who didn't push the product to the floor (or at least have it in a visible pull), didn't backstock it, left it on a transition pallet, moved it somewhere else in the store, put it in a guest's cart or stole it? Nope, but I'm surely gonna be yelled at for that item having to be the item I need and have to INF.

I get that, but what I am saying is Target invested all of this time, energy and resources in this new process and you are just BARELY getting back to how things were before. That's a total failure.

Only to eventually loose those team members who worked their ass off and stabilized everything, because they refuse to promote internally apparently for the foreseeable future.

The whole carrot and stick deal that target seemingly loves doing, and intends to keep doing on the books will only serve to keep setting them back to square one as employees realize they are working for that 15 and thats it, no growth or progress.

To be fair, either way they will have to refill the position with someone motivated and capable which is hard but at least if that previous team member is around who figured things out they could train the next team member who fills the role making the transition easier and less painful by skipping much of the learning curve.

If everything stated here is true stores will just get ahead in order to fall behind again in a more rapid fashion as turnover eats more money and time.

If your number STOs something and it registers as a ghost later, because someone removed it without scanning the error drops under the number of the person who STOs it.

You just reworded it in a different way of what you first wrote. I still don't think that's the reason for the errors.

I worked for a company they went down the drain, too, and the first stage was cutting expenses by taking everything possible away from employees, stage two was unrealistic expectations and severe understaffing. Truck unload time was changed, mid-shifts became the rule and employees were expected to push all day while taking care of customers and cashiering, but there were never enough people scheduled to complete the workload. Clearance backed up until the backroom was full, the floor was full, and there was no room for new merchandise on the floor, which was also left crammed in the backroom until it went clearance. The store looked like a hurricane hit it every day. There was no customer service, everyone scheduled was cashiering and even then customers had to wait in line forever to buy anything because there were so few cashiers. Customers couldn’t get what they wanted, got tired of the hassles and the mess, and took their business elsewhere. Took a couple of years for the company to go bust. Deja vu, Spot.
Target is literally making all time highs in revenue and comp...

Back