MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Someone mentioned "turnaround time" somewhere so I wanted to cover that. From what we hear in the DC, from the time the order drops, we pick it, load it and send it to the time it gets to the store is 7 days.

That's what surprise me when I started. We still were unloading hand packed trucks and sorting them to different areas.

Everyone I knew in the grocery business was receiving palletized trucks. So I took for granted that retail had already moved there as well.
The only thing I didn't like about the grocery warehouse and I'm not sure if all are like this but it wasn't paid hourly. It was piece-rate, which is great for the company but horrific for an employee.

Example:
We would come in the morning and have orders waiting to be picked. Once the orders are done, then we are done. If we picked slower, then we would be there 8 hours at $11 an hour because we were paid by the amount of pieces we pick an hour. If we picked faster then we could make $15 an hour but guess what? When everyone picks faster, the orders are done sooner. So $11 an hour X 8 hours = $88 in 8 hours vs $15 an hour X 6 hours = $90 in 6 hours.

In other words, only the company benefits by piece rate if the amount of work runs out. If you can't get your hours, working faster is pointlessly chasing your own tail.

from March 21, 2017 .

still waiting for this to happen
incase you haven't watched this or watched it back in March here it is again
Ease-Final.mp4
Thanks
@qmosqueen
I googled Mr Valdez to make sure he's still with us. The video is a year old now, so ya never know. Yesterday Amazon, today Target, tomorrow Federal Prison for all we know.

I'm a sarcastic optimist.

That actually does help.

It was specifically "Hot 'n' Cold".

OH and there was Sia's "Elastic Heart".

Better than Eminem or Miley.

Younger Now (Miley) is a good song shush.

I'm waiting for them to give me a song I can truly "yaaaas" to. If they play "Work From Home" by Fifth Harmony, or literally anything by Carly Rae Jepsen then I approve.

Or anything off my favorite Spotify playlist:

Someone mentioned "turnaround time" somewhere so I wanted to cover that. From what we hear in the DC, from the time the order drops, we pick it, load it and send it to the time it gets to the store is 7 days.

7 Days? That's a long time! I wonder what our industry standard is for large footprint retailers?

But I use to work with a couple of hours turn around time too.;) Run out and write a big check to your customer. :(

The prime reason it's a bad idea to go E2E/Store Modernization before we get our logistics operation to mirror the new demands. We have to get the turnaround time closer to the store replenishment requirements. Ideally you would like to see a 3 day turnaround to be the maximum turnaround time.

High volume store should already benefit from PIPO now, but I hear Spot is a little secretive on sharing info.

That being said, it's a tall task given how poorly our inventory management system functions currently. It can be tweaked to do this and should have been already before all of this other stuff, but who knows what's going on in Minneapolis.

With all the above, it's not possible to manage the amount incoming freight to cover our current turnaround time with the current payroll allocation model at low volume stores. The sole reason all of the replies with "not enough hours and payroll" are posted once the corporate support is over.

There's no way. Our truck for tomorrow literally didn't drop in before I left at 2:45pm. Turnaround time may refer to the time between it getting researched, researched again, then ordering, working through DC and finally ending up in store.

The only thing I didn't like about the grocery warehouse and I'm not sure if all are like this but it wasn't paid hourly. It was piece-rate, which is great for the company but horrific for an employee.

Example:
We would come in the morning and have orders waiting to be picked. Once the orders are done, then we are done. If we picked slower, then we would be there 8 hours at $11 an hour because we were paid by the amount of pieces we pick an hour. If we picked faster then we could make $15 an hour but guess what? When everyone picks faster, the orders are done sooner. So $11 an hour X 8 hours = $88 in 8 hours vs $15 an hour X 6 hours = $90 in 6 hours.

In other words, only the company benefits by piece rate if the amount of work runs out. If you can't get your hours, working faster is pointlessly chasing your own tail.

Regional chain grocery dc in the area pays an hourly rate, AND is union.

It was specifically "Hot 'n' Cold".

OH and there was Sia's "Elastic Heart".

Younger Now (Miley) is a good song shush.

I'm waiting for them to give me a song I can truly "yaaaas" to. If they play "Work From Home" by Fifth Harmony, or literally anything by Carly Rae Jepsen then I approve.

Or anything off my favorite Spotify playlist:

That CD cover image always looks like someone forgot her skirt, skirt, skirt, skirt.

There's no way. Our truck for tomorrow literally didn't drop in before I left at 2:45pm. Turnaround time may refer to the time between it getting researched, researched again, then ordering, working through DC and finally ending up in store.

I'll speculate that the order generated today to replenish the store is based upon in transit merchandise, current inventory position, forecast, and truck space among other variables. According to the info shared by ManMythMachine, the truck will hit your dock within Seven (7) Days. This all depending upon the queue of the inventory available to ship and the number of orders in front of it.

From my past I would say stores have multiple batches (orders) shipped over time due to a number of factors so today's shipment may be a combination of past orders. I have seen multiple batches on the same truck. Of course I' m speculating.

The truck that you'll receive tomorrow was loaded most likely 24 - 48 hrs ago (started) depending on inventory availability. The order most likely dropped Monday and was queued into the process to be picked for your store (Tues or Wednesday). I'd say it was most likely started somewhere around late Wed.

from March 21, 2017 .

still waiting for this to happen
incase you haven't watched this or watched it back in March here it is again
Ease-Final.mp4
Thanks
@qmosqueen

Notice in this video there was no Guest in the entire store, also

None of this has happened yet,

Also, Target is piloting this new Program (For Stores) as it already has, and was successful.

What in the fuck.

Not to mention an Each's Model, comes with no pick labels,

May the best lions win, if they want to fill their end caps, when there are no Zebras, to hunt.

As a former MMB tm in an E&E store...you are an awful person.

You don't know misery until you've zoned toys at 2 am while hearing "work work work work work work work"

It's the most orwellian shit ever lol

It's an amazing song wtf

I'm embarrassed to say....... Toxic is my guilty pleasure.

I still love that song. *Sprinkles lowers head in shame, but her foot enthusiastically taps to the beat.

Toxic is a fucking amazing song

Question.....During our most recent handslappling, ummm....huddle, we were finally told of some of the newest changes coming up. We are now officially to be known as 'dedicated stockers' formerly known as 'flow team'. We have each been assigned our dedicated areas. I'm cool with that. What I'm not so cool with is what felt like a vailed threat that we are currently 'miserably slow'. In the very near future we will be expected to stock not 1 but 2 (two) cases per minute from our flats. Time begins from the moment we first touch the box until it is empty and placed in the cage. We were reminded that with this incredibly generous amount of money we are about to be receiving, if we can't keep up that pace there are people lined up at the door ready to take our place! Seriously????
What are other stores newest expectations in this realm? Two cpm just seems like an unrealistic pace to ask for hours at a time.....or is that just me?

2 cases per minute in Home Decor? good luck with that.

FIFO in grocery @ 2 cases per minute? not gonna happen

Stocked correctly @ 2 cases per minute? not a chance.

---
Our store can't get it right at the one case per minute. It's getting better, but trucks are pretty small right now (compared to 4th quarter.)

Former Amazon executive Arthur Valdez working to transform Target from elephant to gazelle - http://www.startribune.com/former-amazon-executive-arthur-valdez-working-to-transform-target-from-elephant-to-gazelle/422136133/

"The work, other executives added, is fundamentally changing how Target moves products, so when a store sells one bottle of shampoo, Target can put another bottle on a truck within hours to replace it. In doing so, products coming in can then go straight to the sales floor so Target can dedicate more backroom space to shipping online orders."

What I'm saying is this. A person whom worked at fye being called an expert in electronics over the person who had been there for multiple years is nonsense to me. Being there for 3 years has given me experience with electronics and what not. Working at fye, that sells dvds, pops, and music doesn't mean you know more about tv's or iPad or sound systems then the person that has been with that stuff for many years.
To be clear and blunt, both of you have no actual experience in electronics. You have experience in SELLING electronic items in a retail setting.

Sorry if this sound pendantic, having actual experience in the building and maintenance electronic items is the difference. I can actually tell someone who walks in fro South Africa what TV to take because they think its a smart idea to buy one here. I save them from breaking when the plug it into the wrong voltage. You what voltage UK runs at or what the plugs look like?
Selling a sixty in with a hdmi cord, anyone can do. Asking the difference between the two total recalls, ghostbusters or Jumanji, anyone can do. Finding Passenger album or Iggy azalia anyone can do. Teaching someone how to build those actually Raspberry pi computers we sell and to suggest other items to go with that Target doesn't sell, is not someone anyone can do.

So stop patting yourself on the back. FYE and Target are no different than Walmart. Hell all big box electronics stores are the same unless you have specialized repair training. Neither Target not FYE have this.

Yeah okay you come back in a year and tell me how "not-critical" the plano team is when your store team has missed the past two resets in beauty and nobody can figure out where all this product goes. Or tell me how you feel when y'all get yelled at because nobody is organizing the signing for each set and now ODL has no price tags.

Or tell me how "not-critical" they are when you have literally everybody going in the fixture room and it's an apocalyptic mess that nobody's going to clean up.
well I say just have random shelf piles.:eek::D

Back