MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
"No shopping carts used by TMs" lasted about a week until the STL couldn't find an empty one triple-tier to use. And keeping all my trash, back-stock, and push on one u-boat while pushing truck? Um, no, that's not going to work.

Last edited:
One of the stores near me is remodeling and the beauty portion is finished...yuck. Too many weird grey khaki walls. Dorky looking target shaped ceiling lights, and the displays make it look like an imitation Sephora or something. Don’t get me started on the weird music choices. They try to do that to my store when we remodel next year and I’ll riot (at least if we get the same obnoxious music).

Last edited:
It is true at my store. Also no z-bars on the floor once the store opens .

When do your Z's get pushed to the floor? We are "allowed" one Z per TM throughout the day. If that TM needs to step off the floor for some reason, the Z get pushed to the backroom. Same w/ 3-tiers, etc. As a VM, I have a Z with me most days, as I re-merch the floors.

@BullseyeBlues the walls are a change that Spot is making across the board in remodels not just in the beauty section, and yes they are making them look more like a mini Sephora. Sections are usually done in blocks to maintain brand. In general you'll be seeing a lot less in your face red in Target and red becomes more of an accent color when fully remodeled.

Look at sales in beauty there is a lot of money in that section if AP can prevent it from sneaking out the door.

The music is across the board, but at least it doesn't repeat the same 5 songs all day everyday.

Last edited:
Help! I really blew it during our 3 day modernization visit. I left an email Wednesday for my team to prepare for the weekend by stocking the lanes and filling the SCOs with change.

I was off Thursday and when I came back to open Friday the SCOs on our busiest side (grocery) were almost out of change.

We only get 15 minutes to do everything before we open. That includes checking email, printing the grid and putting money in 5 Guest Service, 8 SCO and 2 pharmacy registers.

So, once I got all the registers open and made sure I had my Guest Service, SCO on grocery and my first lane staffed. Then I talked to my first cashier for a minute and put extra 10's and 20's in her drawer.

I then started putting change in the SCOs. I was trying to avoid having to do it later in the day when we get really busy. The SCO TM is new and I was talking to her about our expectations while I did it.

Our first 45 minutes to one hour we have very, very few guests. I finished everything before 9:00. We open at 8:00.

The STL asks where I am and I was right by him on my way to check on Guest Service because we'd had a c/o and just had our new intern covering it for us.

I walk up to the STL and he's with the DTL and our PMT's boss (not sure of her title.) I start telling them the things I'm doing to try to ensure the guests have a frictionless experience. The STL interrupts me and says the (facility leader?) woman with him had not seen me on the beach for a whole hour and had I been off stage.

I said I was sorry and tried to explain that I was trying to take care of everything while we were slow because I anticipated a busy Friday and weekend.

She said I wasn't available for our guests or for the SCO TM so she wouldn't have been able to call me if she needed help. Also, if we have any guests then we aren't slow. When I was putting change in the SCO I was tieing up the SCO so it wasn't available for our guests. The STL was so pissed. I hate to think what the GE/ETL will do to me when she finds out.

I'm so upset that I did something so stupid. I'm off today thank goodness because I could not sleep last night. I've been trying so hard to do a good job and I just keep failing.

Thank you. My STL gets really stressed out about visits. There will be repercussions for me and I'm really worried. As a leader I try to make the right decisions to manage my business but sometimes it's impossible. I'm not supposed to ever leave the beach, yet so many tasks are required of me that I can't do without leaving the beach. I love being a GSTL. I don't love that we have to be so dishonest and sneak around to do so much of our jobs.

You did fine with what you had to work with. Anybody above store level has no idea what we are expected to do with the hours given. Hopefully, your GE-ETL will see what you were trying to do and why. At most, you're looking at a CA, and if you have no others, you will be fine in the long run.

Thanks you guys. I honestly feel better after reading your replies. I'll keep trying and I still love my job. This forum helps me in so many ways and I really appreciate you all.

@BullseyeBabe most larger corporate stores tend blow payroll on a visit only to get taken to task for small stupid things. If I were corporate I'd take them to task for blowing payroll on a visit. Yes put your best foot forward, but be realistic about what gets done and how long it takes. If you want me to change all the old lights to new lights so the color spectrum matches exactly I can do that, but it's not going to come for free. Realistically your ETL should have asked if you could come in 30 min to an hour early to do a quick double check before the visit. That's not on you that's on management. The things you did had to get done and it would have been a bigger deal if SCO was cards only or had to be shut down anytime after 10AM assuming you have the regular guest flow that most stores have. Personally I might have waited till 8:30 after the "I have to get this done as soon as the store opens people" are done, but even then don't think it would matter when you do it during a visit as it will be wrong.

I put my best foot forward for visits, I don't kill myself for them.

Anyone have advice for Softlines for finishing truck push and everything else? Store gets 5 trucks/week with 1600-2600 pieces and 150-350 repacks. Told we’re properly scheduled and all push should be finished along with reshop and price changes but we don’t finish push when we’re buried under reshop. Also how can we be staffed exactly the same on truck days but also be staffed correctly for the size of the truck which is always different? ETL & STL keep saying we’re not working hard enough and should be able to finish everything everyday because “other stores are doing it”. Hoping one of those “other stores” has some insight that could help!

Anyone have advice for Softlines for finishing truck push and everything else? Store gets 5 trucks/week with 1600-2600 pieces and 150-350 repacks. Told we’re properly scheduled and all push should be finished along with reshop and price changes but we don’t finish push when we’re buried under reshop. Also how can we be staffed exactly the same on truck days but also be staffed correctly for the size of the truck which is always different? ETL & STL keep saying we’re not working hard enough and should be able to finish everything everyday because “other stores are doing it”. Hoping one of those “other stores” has some insight that could help!

How much payroll are you getting per week?

@Agent Spot start timing people, start with yourself. For instance the expectation for price change has been 100+ eaches per hour. Our price change ladies who have been doing it for years get 100-120 per hour, but "regular" SL TMs who are now expected to do it are not anywhere close to the rate. You'll find the situation is probably similar for most of your issues. You will quickly learn how long it takes to do 25 repacks and who is most efficient at doing it. When you know how long it takes you to do something then you can apply that to the Target averages and the TMs. You have to do your breakout correctly before you can do it fast. If you're scheduled the same amount everyday then you'll be able to come in and see which days you're going to roll reshop and price change to handle increased repacks. You're not likely going to come clean being scheduled the same amount everyday unless you're overscheduled or not a single slacker on your team, but 3 hours can really make the difference depending on what there is to do in a day. And calls for backup can eat up 3 hours quickly. You may also want to check the truck forecast to what you received vs the forecast. If a truck was added or you had several callouts, but hours were not added it's easy to get buried and have that workload carry forward for weeks. We've had someone that "worked," but somehow only got through 5 hours of work on an 8 hour shift based on my timing, that's a performance discussion. They did work and didn't necessarily slack, but an ETL telling them to do something else "real quick" is time you don't get back and you need to teach them that as a TM they need to push back if they are expected to get through a certain amount in a certain time. Helping a TM is not as efficient as teaching a TM to do something so you don't have to help them every time.

Replace SOFTLINES with MARKET and pretty much the same thing. JUST WORK HARDER....ya...cuz that close to 1000 piece C&S with 3 people doing 4 hour shifts is just going to work itself out magically when our coolers are stuffed

Thanks you guys. I honestly feel better after reading your replies. I'll keep trying and I still love my job. This forum helps me in so many ways and I really appreciate you all.
@bullseye Babe-At our store, we would have been proud of you efficiently using your time. We expect people to take care of things during the slow times as we all know Spot is not giving us enough payroll for all the crap they want us to do (storewide training, OPU, speak to each guest, etc.). This is where what Spot wants us to do in theory vs what it takes to do it in actuality differ. Being part of countless walks, I can tell you that the PMT manager stated something to the STL prior to meeting you about some deficiency in the store and the STL was nervous as crap. Store leadership has so many things being thrown at them, it is almost not worth the 100+k salary (or 50-70k as ETLs). If you do get CA, write it down in a log. Keep the log and your point of view of why you were taking care of SCO. Be as specific as possible. Then bring it up with your ETL about expectations and what s/he expect of you. Write down their expectations of you. Then (6 months later), when you are coached (even spoken to, maybe not even coached) again 6+ months down the road for doing the opposite (e.g. not having stocked the SCOs during non-peak hours during a visit (or something similar)), point out the inconsistencies in leadership and your expectations. I promise you it will happen. I have done this before showing how expectations change almost now on a daily basis and now no one gives me sh*t ever.

Its probably just not possible at your store. At this point the upper leadership team is pushing this idea that MyTime can forecast everything accurately down to the hour two weeks out (what days you will get the most freight, price changes, guest traffic), and unfortunately some store leadership teams just aren't smart enough to smell that it is nonsense. I can tell you that this software is not capable of doing any of the things they are saying, and that it is so filled with errors and the stores can't say anything that most field leaders have no clue and keep trusting it.

MyTime may have been the worst purchase the company made IMO, and anybody that wants to pedal it can't do math.

Looks like we're averaging 225 to 250 hrs/wk in Style but I'm told we're getting 30-40 extra hours that we're not supposed to have. So other work centers are sacrificing so we can have more than our share. Also been told no one is working to their potential and should be written up to improve their performance, but be careful how I talk to the team so I don't hurt their feelings. OK, not a problem. Last time I tried to encourage a couple team members by explaining the expectations set by our fearless Leader I was spoken to that I was stressing the team members by expecting too much from them. It may be time to explore other opportunities. It's not worth the stress every day.

Back