MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's funny that Target expects us to bust our ass just because they bumped pay to what minimum wage would be if the government kept up with inflation.

This new attitude they've adopted fucking sucks, and they can fuck right off. See how the company runs when they can't keep a staff and no one knows what they're doing.

My first job in 1985 was $3.35 an hour, which would be $7.85 now adjusting for inflation. People made ends meet then. The work Target expects team members to do is not worth $15 an hour. It just isn't. But then you didn't have a cellphone, cable TV, Netflix.... bill to pay.

I've heard team members talk about bills. Some comprehend wants vs. needs. Some don't.

My first job in 1985 was $3.35 an hour, which would be $7.85 now adjusting for inflation. People made ends meet then. The work Target expects team members to do is not worth $15 an hour. It just isn't. But then you didn't have a cellphone, cable TV, Netflix.... bill to pay.

I've heard team members talk about bills. Some comprehend wants vs. needs. Some don't.

The work I do as a regular tm is definitely worth what I make, which is over $15 an hour. The work I do is value added.

What complicates all this is that it's about to be undervalued soon. At that time, I'll be much less inclined to do what I do noe.

Last edited:
It's funny that Target expects us to bust our ass just because they bumped pay to what minimum wage would be if the government kept up with inflation.

This new attitude they've adopted fucking sucks, and they can fuck right off. See how the company runs when they can't keep a staff and no one knows what they're doing.

With the increase in pay, Target corporate thinks better pay will equate to better morale and less turnover which in turn will equate to better trained employees. However, since raising the minimum wage at Target from $7 to now $11/$12 (amount depending on when you start) and moving towards the $15/hour, we still have the same hiring problems which include:
Giving part time hours to employees causes them to not care and attracts mainly students (who can leave at any time due to lack of bills, no family obligations and this is only a 2 or 4 year gig for them anyway)
Having few hours in certain months because of lack of sales causes people to leave - here's looking at you February (eveybody has some bills to pay)
Rolling out new directives again and again and again causes people to question the stability of Target and credibility of their leaders so they move on
Target pays little for what they expect from you so people search for easier jobs with better pay
And, then FINALLY, no one recognizes that the expectations of guests now is much more than 10 years ago....most guests now expect you to do everything from them, take things out on TMs/TLs/ETLs much faster than a decade ago and then if something isn't like they wanted, they expect the store to bend over backwards for them including giving them the item for free

It seems like we are doing more tasks and less guest service. All we do everyday is push Bullseye and sort and push reshop. We're expected to zone and do reshop for our c block (stationary/kitchen/small appliances) too.
We have our 2 SCOs (4 on each end) and maybe one cashier, if we're lucky.
They moved the reshop from Guest Service to the checklanes. Our STL had us label the bins under 2 checklanes and we're supposed to sort all the reshop under there. Style reshop goes to the last checklane on that side of the store and grocery goes on the opposite end on the market side.
We're busy and unsightly reshop is piled everywhere.
I feel like I'm drowning in reshop. We often only have one person on the sales floor so there's no one to work it out during the day.
I thought modernization was supposed to be Guest centered. That's not happening at the front of our store.

We have so much reshop these days that our ETL has to do a breakout for it in the morning at the lanes. It's crazy.

Me too. $3.35 at Wendy’s. I started off at 6.25 an hour as a TL with Target in the 90s.

I started at $3.15 per hour at Gimbels department store back in 1981, they went bankrupt in 1986.

I feel like I'm drowning in reshop. We often only have one person on the sales floor so there's no one to work it out during the day.

Front end owns reshop at my store. Is it possible at all for you to do the same? But wtf is with reshop being handled at the checklanes? That's unrealistic.

Originally we were supposed to call someone up to get reshop every time someone made a return. Also, every team member was supposed to grab some reshop every time they came up front for any reason. No one was supposed to bring reshop up front.

New this week at my store: cashiers are no longer allowed to leave our lane at all unless we're on a break or meal. No taking hangers to the bin, no taking reshop to GS (which I'm mostly okay with because they couldn't be bothered to use the sort function and often dumped things in the wrong baskets), no zoning their area, no going to the racetrack to let guests know they're available. We're supposed to flash our light if our reshop or hanger baskets get too full and let GSA/TL take care of it.

New this week at my store: cashiers are no longer allowed to leave our lane at all unless we're on a break or meal. No taking hangers to the bin, no taking reshop to GS (which I'm mostly okay with because they couldn't be bothered to use the sort function and often dumped things in the wrong baskets), no zoning their area, no going to the racetrack to let guests know they're available. We're supposed to flash our light if our reshop or hanger baskets get too full and let GSA/TL take care of it.

huh. Plenty of down time at my store for cashiers to accomplish those activities AND still service the guest. I can manage to do all those things, stock candy & check for out dates and still help guests. It can be done.

I can see it being difficult in a high volume store, but presumably the store would have more payroll and more help up front.

Funny my districts pretty opposite where the person watching the front isn’t supposed to do reshop, hangers, baskets, or general tasking. We are to be available for the guest at all time and out DTL said we should be using our cashiers and cart attendant to keep the front end brand

GSA/GSTLs collect and sort reshop and the TM scheduled for drive up and cashiers try to put out reshop. The sales floor team (including ETLs and TLs) are bringing reshop up to the lanes too.

Funny my districts pretty opposite where the person watching the front isn’t supposed to do reshop, hangers, baskets, or general tasking. We are to be available for the guest at all time and out DTL said we should be using our cashiers and cart attendant to keep the front end brand
We're not supposed to leave "the beach" but we're still responsible for all the tasks. If there is reshop, it's why aren't you taking care of reshop? If they catch you taking care of reshop it's, you have to stay on the beach!

Back