MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have been assigned the job of Home Consultant. It is considered to be a Style position yet I am scheduled under hardlines which has led to a lot of confusion as to who the Lead is over home (which includes bed, bath, decor, kitchen, vacuum). As the home consultant my responsibilities include setting sales plans, PTM, audit, reshop, zone, pulls, RFID scan, maintaining endcaps and trend runs daily, SFQ and capacities, planogram maintenance, and working H&H freight as well as, of course, sales and service and backup cashier. I have daily sales goals and audit expectations which have to be met. In addition to this, because I am scheduled under hardlines, and am frequently the only one scheduled there, I am responsible for the reshop, sales and service, and anything else that the hardlines Lead needs done including freight, pulls, etc. My hours have been reduced significantly, but the accountability has not. Other tms scheduled under hardlines are typically closers and finish any pulls and zoning... except for in the home area. That is left for when I come in. They do not have sales goals to meet. If someone else is actually scheduled for hardlines during the day, they are usually doing the salesplans for areas other than Home or finishing freight that wasn't complete before the flow team left. If I am not scheduled in home, none of the Style tasks are completed because that's "My Job". It is very reminiscent of being on the Instocks team with a backroom lead and a salesfloor ETL and being pulled to do all of the things others couldn't finish. Anyone else in a similar situation with suggestions on how to meet goals and expectations without losing your sh*t?

I want to add here that there is no way that I hold the leads responsible for this mess. They have to meet their goals and expectations, too. I get that... except, as we know, it rolls downhill and I'm at the bottom looking up.

Last edited:
There should be a Logistics TL (atleast). If not only to fill in on the other departments TL's days off, or vacations. It would only lead to a (Outside interpretation) of what could be done better, or what is wrong, which I can't think how this would be bad thing.

Also, Logistics, period, is the #1 thing that keeps every retail store, reliable, and shop-able, (This doesn't even get into the SFS side of Logistics, which is literally all Logistics, and Target's hope at a future, so long as it isn't bought out by Amazon).

There should be a Logistics TL (atleast). If not only to fill in on the other departments TL's days off, or vacations. It would only lead to a (Outside interpretation) of what could be done better, or what is wrong, which I can't think how this would be bad thing.

Also, Logistics, period, is the #1 thing that keeps every retail store, reliable, and shop-able, (This doesn't even get into the SFS side of Logistics, which is literally all Logistics, and Target's hope at a future, so long as it isn't bought out by Amazon).

I walked with my STL who told me that my store doesn’t gain any more team leaders. And guess what? I’m already the only salesfloor senior team leader. So guess the owning your own business isn’t going to apply to me. She told me that basically I’m losing one that will just move to recovery. She doesn’t even feel target is her fit anymore. I went from scheduled interviews for ETL to now turning around and being coached for my every breath i take. Because I’m to be doing everything the 2019 way to be ahead of the game. All while still running 3 lod shifts a week, doing pog, truck ect. I’m basically a magician and should be able to figure it out with 0 solutions. And let’s talk about hotline calls. I’m a senior and there has been 6 calls made. Nothing went to headquarters. All came to the store. So nothing got done. Best team surgery etls scored horribly. No visit still from BP’s. Requested a meeting with BP’s 4 weeks ago from the team leads .... nothing. Yup my store is tanking

I walked with my STL who told me that my store doesn’t gain any more team leaders. And guess what? I’m already the only salesfloor senior team leader. So guess the owning your own business isn’t going to apply to me. She told me that basically I’m losing one that will just move to recovery. She doesn’t even feel target is her fit anymore. I went from scheduled interviews for ETL to now turning around and being coached for my every breath i take. Because I’m to be doing everything the 2019 way to be ahead of the game. All while still running 3 lod shifts a week, doing pog, truck ect. I’m basically a magician and should be able to figure it out with 0 solutions. And let’s talk about hotline calls. I’m a senior and there has been 6 calls made. Nothing went to headquarters. All came to the store. So nothing got done. Best team surgery etls scored horribly. No visit still from BP’s. Requested a meeting with BP’s 4 weeks ago from the team leads .... nothing. Yup my store is tanking

You are not alone!

I don't think the Beauty/Tech lead will end up rolling into stores once the Pilot is over. Target is already abandoning ideas! Kinda like with the whole Visual Merchandiser Lead thing last year.

Seems like a small area for 1 dedicated TL. Now if it included all healthcare, personal care. Maybe.

I don't think the Beauty/Tech lead will end up rolling into stores once the Pilot is over. Target is already abandoning ideas! Kinda like with the whole Visual Merchandiser Lead thing last year.
Our store director told us that he has meetings on the 14th and 15th about more modernization changes. Great can’t wait to find out what they have in store for us now.
Like 3 double trucks a week isn’t enough.

I can tell you as I was in a meeting for this yesterday with senior staff and DTL who was briefing everyone. At our level, they are extending the off load time by having them sort the repacks completely as they are removed. From what I gathered we will have pipo worked immedately, but everything else that is repacked will be sorted to its department.

So those umpteen HBA mix repacks will be sorts so HBA only in repacks, cosmetics in repacks, pharmacy, pets Home, Office, etc No more flat of twelve black repacks with Home, pets and sporting goods together. Our estimated time jumps to 9:30 ending with a 6 am start.

Whole district is also monitoring guests who open packaging and then abandon the item. Not stealing the item. Just opening removing and then abandoning it. Apparently, we are really high on that so its another test to identify. Team members are supposed to 'guest service' guests seeing what they need . It all made no real sense as there was no deterrent applied. Also they are killing off our price scanners. We are getting ones simple to the mydevices only tablet size. No fixed date on them either.

I was going to say something, but your post (san the etl interviews) is mostly spot on. Our store went from happy everyone works with each other to the Hunger games after two TLs got fired. So yesterday after the meeting and the 3 unrealistic expectation coaching on top of the Iphone X scammers, I decided that the money I am getting isnt worth it any more.

I can tell you as I was in a meeting for this yesterday with senior staff and DTL who was briefing everyone. At our level, they are extending the off load time by having them sort the repacks completely as they are removed. From what I gathered we will have pipo worked immedately, but everything else that is repacked will be sorted to its department.

So those umpteen HBA mix repacks will be sorts so HBA only in repacks, cosmetics in repacks, pharmacy, pets Home, Office, etc No more flat of twelve black repacks with Home, pets and sporting goods together. Our estimated time jumps to 9:30 ending with a 6 am start.

Whole district is also monitoring guests who open packaging and then abandon the item. Not stealing the item. Just opening removing and then abandoning it. Apparently, we are really high on that so its another test to identify. Team members are supposed to 'guest service' guests seeing what they need . It all made no real sense as there was no deterrent applied. Also they are killing off our price scanners. We are getting ones simple to the mydevices only tablet size. No fixed date on them either.

This is how we were told repacks would be sorted to begin with (new truck unload). If they are going to make an effort to actually do it now that would be great! I do not stock in an area that has a lot of repacks but I know some are a joke with 3-4 different departments in them.

P.S. I like the website update.

Our store has a 6am start, doesn’t sort repacks, and they still don’t get done unloaded until 9am sometimes. Now I do wonder if that was because of all the transition toys and infants that was coming in, because I noticed they were done unloading around 8am and most of transition toys and infants was already here.

In other news our poor receiver almost doesn’t have an area anymore because softlines now sorts in the part where we use to build bikes and where some of the salvage and Crc was kept.

Seems like a small area for 1 dedicated TL. Now if it included all healthcare, personal care. Maybe.
Plus isn't the beauty and tech lead only for smaller stores ?

The Beauty/Tech lead is a specialty lead so it's mostly based on training, guest servicing, etc. It's not as hands on I feel as some of the other sales floor positions. And the payroll is not there to support that double coverage!

But slower stores or mid level were supposed to have a combined lead. High Volumes have individual leads for Beauty and one for Tech. I'm assuming they are not finding enough Value in keeping the position once the pilot is over so that's why I said I wouldn't expect it to rollout with the rest of the company. Also most Beauty/Tech leads will probably go back to absorbing surrounding departments like HBA/OTC/CHEM/TRAVEL, etc. Which then basically makes you a General Merch Lead lol

I was going to say something, but your post (san the etl interviews) is mostly spot on. Our store went from happy everyone works with each other to the Hunger games after two TLs got fired. So yesterday after the meeting and the 3 unrealistic expectation coaching on top of the Iphone X scammers, I decided that the money I am getting isnt worth it any more.

Just get the fuck out. They expect people across the store to only be responsible for their area. So, the beauty experts will reset the aisles. Shut the fuck up. Who is going to maintain all the shit in the fixture room? Who orders all the darling little supplies we use EVERY DAMN DAY like adhesive tabs? Or cosmetics paper?

It's funny that Target expects us to bust our ass just because they bumped pay to what minimum wage would be if the government kept up with inflation.

This new attitude they've adopted fucking sucks, and they can fuck right off. See how the company runs when they can't keep a staff and no one knows what they're doing.

I've been back about two months now, but have still been actively job-searching. I've been in this process since before I returned because I knew exactly what I was getting into, but everyday I realise more and more that I'm doing the right thing. I've been attending college along with working both of my jobs. I've been getting pretty full-time hours at Spot, which I take as they come, as well as full-time at my main job. I will take any hours I can to save up money right now for my car, school, and most recently (sadly) my eldest dog's vet bills. I'm the Ready-To-Wear Style Consultant, if that's even the correct title. I've noticed a lot of things immediately when I started on my first day back, but some of the things are still surprising to me (not always in a good way). I just wanted extra income aside from my day job, and that's really my biggest reason for returning, and of course that I was on good terms when I left. Although I do enjoy my position in RTW, I know Target will always just be my first job that helped me gain my first real work field experience. It sucks, but it is what it is. I considered staying until after I graduated from college, but I really don't even know if it'll be worth it at this point. For now, I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing, but I hope I can soon find a position with one company where I make a livable amount of money so that I can just go part-time at my current main job and get out of retail for good this time. I was developing to lead with Target, but I do not really want to anymore. I just hope things work well soon enough. I know I'm still young, but I finally do know what I want and need to do for myself.

Just get the fuck out. They expect people across the store to only be responsible for their area. So, the beauty experts will reset the aisles. Shut the fuck up. Who is going to maintain all the shit in the fixture room? Who orders all the darling little supplies we use EVERY DAMN DAY like adhesive tabs? Or cosmetics paper?
No one. I have been in my store 4 years and we ALWAYS HAD 8 feet of all that would would ever need for signage down by the server closet and room top access stairs. Suddenly, we have to tear up receiving for this new off load (and the shipt space) space so it all goes into the compactor before I arrive.

This is why I am tired of this. Also, STL didn't bother to notice that when FLow tl doesn't watch one of the off loaders he will mix the furniture pallet with other freight and furniture guy won't do it. So I took a pic of it. Deny you told him to do it right while GroupTL is standing 20 ft from up.

No one. I have been in my store 4 years and we ALWAYS HAD 8 feet of all that would would ever need for signage down by the server closet and room top access stairs. Suddenly, we have to tear up receiving for this new off load (and the shipt space) space so it all goes into the compactor before I arrive.

This is why I am tired of this. Also, STL didn't bother to notice that when FLow tl doesn't watch one of the off loaders he will mix the furniture pallet with other freight and furniture guy won't do it. So I took a pic of it. Deny you told him to do it right while GroupTL is standing 20 ft from up.

This is why target is going to go down hill at some point. All of the people that know what they are doing or at least care to pay attention and learn are leaving and new hires are a very mixed bag.....

Back