MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
not sure if this was mentioned but General Merch will modernize as far as departments, example 1 GM over toys and stationary with dedicated tms in those areas, they are to be scheduled under pricing,presentation, and signing whenever transitions or price changes happen by their leader, and same for the GM's under other blocks. it will be similar to how end to end started for the sales floor. (there is rumor of toys being the next big modernization with toys r us gone)

We can't tell guests we are experts. Omg, can you imagine the resulting attitude of a guest when an "expert" doesn't know something?? Nope. Hopefully that term will change.

Also, this model sounds very tm heavy. Will hours magically appear so I'm not pushing another department or backing up for an hour? The team culture promotes helping each other but this new thing sounds kind of us vs them. I'm dubious.

They will, if their Lead(er) "allows" it. A lazy, lax Team Member will only be lazy and lax if we let them. The Lead(er) needs to: Set expectations, follow through, and be consistent and vigilant about the expectations until the TM's results are consistently at that level. Period.
ASANTS... totally agree with you on fielding people out. However, good luck finding top tier people that want to work part time because RIP payroll.

If you want to see how fast TLs or former SrTLs leave... Just take away pay and make the gap between them and a new hire even thinner.

It makes me feel at one with the new associates!

1UPUJh2.gif

They will be back of store experts. I knew this was going to be coming at dome point. Basically all back of store experts will be trained to pull, Blackstock, receive, esim, sweeps, mir's, etc. They will all be expected to cover all back of store functions.
Dear lord I hope this isn't how it will actually work out. It took me 3 months to get receiving running smoothly when I took over the position. If there are too many people doing the work stuff is going to get screwed up so bad. Hell, we don't give BR regular people enough hours to get backstock done, how do they expect them to help with all the receiving tasks? As the receiver I've been helping out BR with their 12 Steps and helping SFS pack as needed if I have free time.

(there is rumor of toys being the next big modernization with toys r us gone)
This I like. Toys is actually one of the last departments to not to have a “blowout” remodel and honestly it seems like a perfect candidate (Kids like seeing stuff in action). I would love to see this.

It sounds to me like they're going to be requiring full time team members while giving less than part time hours. This new model doesn't seem to work so well for the high school and college kids

This is all hypothetical, but I suspect that they don't want to be paying some high school kid 15$/hour (in 2020) in a non-supervisory role to only work part time. I suspect that corp wants all TM's to be able to work in all positions, to better "earn" that 15$/hour wage.

My STL was missing all day today hmmm probably with the DTL in a meeting. Oh and big visit next Wednesday the 28th. And April 2 nd we are going to 4 am from an overnight store and all e2e or on the trial for modernization.

But it also makes little financial sense either. They either need part timers who won't make quite enough for Target to be their life, or they'll need a bunch of full time workers. To staff the store appropriately, they'd need so many full timers that they'd end up spending a fortune on payroll, which we know is something they don't like to do.

Part time employees aren't going to deal with the level of knowledge or output they'd need for a 20 hour a week job at Target. Have you ever asked a newly hired fitting room operator to do reahop? They typically don't understand that their job goes beyond phones, and when they do, they either quickly leave or want full time hours.

So how does it work with ETL that currently have all of sales floor soft & hard and SB & cafe? Does LOG and sales floor just split one does hard one does soft? Are seniors going away all together? How exactly will flow work? Mini teams within a store sounds interesting......

Back