MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
We had the company come down and visit us on the pilot and give us some feedback. A few notes as follows.
-Removing Pricing & Pog team will happen 2019 (this is a for sure thing as they are already trying out new MD strategy for it and transition mapping)
Stores are trying out configurations with BRTM's and no BRTMS, Unloaders should be your GMTM's that go to their departments after unload (this has changed since HQ found out it will cost way too much to retool the DC processes)
-Tech & Beauty Lead is gone for good (not sure if this was mentioned here) the Leader over Specialty will oversee them directly
-A&A and Tech no longer unload or sort the truck, GM now handles the process (Tech is strictly guest facing, softlines only pushes the merch)

Growing pains aside, the pilot has worked well in our district. we have more payroll to work with, truck gets done, and we have at minimum 8 tms on the floor as openers daily (vs the 1 we had before) we are a B volume store. The trick is work ahead on pog and pricing, or be strategic and work some of it late. Our Director has been good on us setting when we can little by little as long as its done.

If POG is gone, then I'm gone.

Aren't those 8 TMs the former flow TMs? So actually stocking vs. reshop, zone, and guest servicing?

on non truck days we get 8 openers, 3 mids and 1 closer in every block. Truck days A and B get 12 openers, 2 mids and a closer, c and d have 5 openeres, a mid, and a closer. Toys/SG gets 3 openers a mid and a closer. They push, handle their backstock, do their autos, help guest, do strays, and we rotate backup wtih softlines who are stacked too. VS the 1 opener in all of hardlines, 1 in softlines and 2 Closers in each side. FLow team was just a large team that ignored everything and everyone and just pushed boxes. Its a very rough process but it has potential. For example I dont push my team to come clean 100% on truck push, they need to balance it all out, as long as its pushed later by the closer, or first thing the next day. It works.

Wow, all those TMs scheduled! I'm in a similar volume store and we don't have a fraction of that coverage. Out of curiosity, how many front end TMs are scheduled on a weekday?

Price and pog aren’t going to get fired. They’re going to be placed on the salesfloor. I guarantee the pog people will be tasked with setting in their new area. Our price team is 2 people. Guarantee they’ll be moved to cashier.

Last edited:
on non truck days we get 8 openers, 3 mids and 1 closer in every block. Truck days A and B get 12 openers, 2 mids and a closer, c and d have 5 openeres, a mid, and a closer. Toys/SG gets 3 openers a mid and a closer. They push, handle their backstock, do their autos, help guest, do strays, and we rotate backup wtih softlines who are stacked too. VS the 1 opener in all of hardlines, 1 in softlines and 2 Closers in each side. FLow team was just a large team that ignored everything and everyone and just pushed boxes. Its a very rough process but it has potential. For example I dont push my team to come clean 100% on truck push, they need to balance it all out, as long as its pushed later by the closer, or first thing the next day. It works.
That sounds great but did your former flow tm's who are now scheduled under hardlines get re-trained to cashier, guest service, process defects, zone or put away abandons or strays? The store I'm at...They still only push their 1 vehicle at time and backstock. They don't guest service, backup cashier, process defects (ends up in a random 3 tier cart in the backroom with a backstock clip on it), or put away abandons (ends up the same 3 tier cart in the backroom) or zone. In theory it would work at my store if the store was stacked like that every shift but not everyone is trained or on the same page. The other day I walked into the receiving area and saw the line to the baler like I have read on previous posts and I laughed! I laughed because it has now come to fruition. It's true that there will be no one on the floor because we are all lined up to take care of our trash/cardboard but then once the baler gets full, no one wants to make a bale because no one wants to step up to take care of it. We play the game of "anyone can make a bale." Well, people are going to start saying, I don't get paid enough or it's not my job. If spot wants to re-invent the wheel then so be it but they need to rollout new roles so everyone can specifically know what their job is.

Last edited:
Price and log aren’t going to get fired. They’re going t be placed on the salesfloor. I guarantee the log people will be tasked with setting in their new area. Our price team is 2 people. Guarantee they’ll be moved to cashier.

LOL Yeah that's hilarious. A good chunk of logistics at my store doesn't speak English, and even if they do, we can't get them to help the guests. Fat chance of getting them to set anything.

My question is, will the pog tl becomes overnight sfs, or an additional Hardlines tl? Cause I want to follow him wherever he goes. Lol. Shall wait and see.

Your store does overnight SFS?

Can I just rant a minute. Only during holidays our backroom looked like a tornado got frisky with an earthquake. Now this is literally every single day. This has gone on since just before Q4 last year. Literally. Every. Day. How do you make it stop😭
It is becoming an employee hazard. There have been times when we cannot access merchandise because the aisles are packed.

Overtime… thee current store believes they can have us work 48 hours this week with out paying overtime because Monday was a holiday.
Yup, taking advantage of people not knowing. I only work a hair over unless it won't impact home time.

we touched on this a little bit before earlier in the thread, but I've got more modernization details for those outside of the pilot:

New Titles and Level Progression

• District Sr. Director
    • Store Director
      • Leader (Specialty Sales, Service and Engagement, General Merchandise and Food Sales)
        • Lead
          • Consultant (Enthusiast)
          • Advocate (Professional)
          • Expert (Master)
Introducing - New Teams, Titles, and Roles

Specialty Sales (Specialty Sales Leader, Style Lead) [NOTE: Beauty & Tech position is eliminated. Beauty/Tech Consultants will report directly to the SSL except in High Volume Model stores.)
A sales force of specialized consultants who provide tailored suggestions and solutions through active selling and compelling visual merchandising presentations that inspire guests and build the basket. Teams in A&A and Home, Beauty and Electronics, prioritize guest experience while balancing completion of task that ensure product is available and easy to shop - pulling filling, pricing, setting, staging and maintaining the sales floor and backroom.

Service & Engagement (Service and Engagement Leader, Service and Engagement Lead)
Advocates of guest experience who welcome, thank, and exceed guests service expectations by focusing on guest interaction and recovery. Advocates of both physical and digital services and solutions who are knowledgeable about capabilities and features that drive adoption, usage and ultimately guest loyalty. Empowered to make shopping effortless and seamless for guests at the checklanes, guest services, gift registry, pick-up, and drive up.

General Merchandise and Food Sales (General Merchandise and Food Sales Leader, General Merchandise Lead, Food and Beverage Lead, Food Service Lead)
Enable a consistent experience for our guests by ensuring product is in stock, available and accurately priced and signed on the sales floor. Experts of operation, process and efficiency. This team leads Food, all inbound, staging, and back of store processes in commodities, essentials, and other fill-focused areas of the store* including pricing, POGS, and promotional signing. This team also enables efficient delivery to our guests by owning pick, pack and ship fulfillment work.
*Toys, Luggage, Sports, Paper, Pets, Chemicals, Automotive, Stationary, Seasonal, Healthcare, Front of Store Merchandise.

Low volume model stores will have 2 leaders and 8-11 leads. 384 stores (22% of stores). All leads report to Store Director except for the Food & Bev and GM Leads, who report to the Gen Merch and Food Sales Leader.

Base volume model stores will have between 3-5 leaders and 8-19 leads. This is 1105 stores (62% of stores)

High volume model stores receive between 7 and 9 leaders and 17-23 leads, but these stores only make up 2% of the company (41 stores).

and obviously HR and AP are outside of the store flowchart and don't count towards lead headcount

we touched on this a little bit before earlier in the thread, but I've got more modernization details for those outside of the pilot:

• District Sr. Director
    • Store Director
      • Leader (Specialty Sales, Service and Engagement, General Merchandise and Food Sales)
        • Lead
          • Expert (Master)

Specialty Sales (Specialty Sales Leader, Style Lead) [NOTE: Beauty & Tech position is eliminated. Beauty/Tech Consultants will report directly to the SSL except in High Volume Model stores.)
A sales force of specialized consultants who provide tailored suggestions and solutions through active selling and compelling visual merchandising presentations that inspire guests and build the basket. Teams in A&A and Home, Beauty and Electronics, prioritize guest experience while balancing completion of task that ensure product is available and easy to shop - pulling filling, pricing, setting, staging and maintaining the sales floor and backroom.

Service & Engagement (Service and Engagement Leader, Service and Engagement Lead)
Advocates of guest experience who welcome, thank, and exceed guests service expectations by focusing on guest interaction and recovery. Advocates of both physical and digital services and solutions who are knowledgeable about capabilities and features that drive adoption, usage and ultimately guest loyalty. Empowered to make shopping effortless and seamless for guests at the checklanes, guest services, gift registry, pick-up, and drive up.

General Merchandise and Food Sales (General Merchandise and Food Sales Leader, General Merchandise Lead, Food and Beverage Lead, Food Service Lead)
Enable a consistent experience for our guests by ensuring product is in stock, available and accurately priced and signed on the sales floor. Experts of operation, process and efficiency. This team leads Food, all inbound, staging, and back of store processes in commodities, essentials, and other fill-focused areas of the store* including pricing, POGS, and promotional signing. This team also enables efficient delivery to our guests by owning pick, pack and ship fulfillment work.
*Toys, Luggage, Sports, Paper, Pets, Chemicals, Automotive, Stationary, Seasonal, Healthcare, Front of Store Merchandise.

Low volume model stores will have 2 leaders and 8-11 leads. 384 stores (22% of stores). All leads report to Store Director except for the Food & Bev and GM Leads, who report to the Gen Merch and Food Sales Leader.

Base volume model stores will have between 3-5 leaders and 8-19 leads. This is 1105 stores (62% of stores)

High volume model stores receive between 7 and 9 leaders and 17-23 leads, but these stores only make up 2% of the company (41 stores).

and obviously HR and AP are outside of the store flowchart and don't count towards lead headcount
8-19 leads for base model stores? That’s a big spread wonder where we will fall

LOL Yeah that's hilarious. A good chunk of logistics at my store doesn't speak English, and even if they do, we can't get them to help the guests. Fat chance of getting them to set anything.

Your store does overnight SFS?
I never mentioned flow team. What are you talking about?

Yes we are overnight sfs. Prob just from when we became enhanced until January I would expect. Haven’t hesrd for sure tho.

• District Sr. Director
    • Store Director
        • Lead
          • Expert (Master)

Confused. Are you saying there’s an operations group still in charge of price and pog in the latest update?

So Style, Beauty, and Tech are supposed to do their own pulls, stocking, pricing, setting, staging, and backstocking? Because I've heard mixed things regarding that, especially backstocking. I imagine maintaining means backstocking, auditing, and things like 12 Steps, right?

There’s supposed to be coverage allocated to get all of this stuff done. It shouldn’t only be one person during peak hours in tech or beauty.

Confused. Are you saying there’s an operations group still in charge of price and pog in the latest update?

The general merchandise team owns price and pog. For most stores it’s probably gonna be former pricing and pog TMs under the GM banner, but they should also be completing other tasks.

Back