MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
The Market team has gone steadily downhill at my store, mostly, because they are entirely overthinking the process. I had it even slip to me that if their entire team quits/is fired, Presentation will be moved over, to be the new Market team... If this happens, the interviews (its a pay raise now, so I think they have too). Should be hilarious. (was a PA of three years).
we need more market TMs, they had 4 TMs scheduled this past Sunday,. 2 TMs to pull the autos and back stock dry, 2 TMs to push autos and truck (about 17 u boats full), so they got done with all of dry and never touched dairy or freezer from the daily FDC truck, ouch.

If I was a DTL, in one of these pilot districts, I would be going in, unannounced and ask to be LOD for 2 hours (because I could, and that is probably the best way to learn a stores situation). The current LOD could go take a break (which would probably be just be two hours of paranoid sweating.) I would then (afterword) sit down for an hour with them privately, and ask them their actual opinion on wins/ops, while having two hours in their shoes it could lead to building not only trust, but something actually constructive.

Does this ever happen? no.
In a perfect world perhaps but, sadly, not here.

The Market team has gone steadily downhill at my store, mostly, because they are entirely overthinking the process. I had it even slip to me that if their entire team quits/is fired, Presentation will be moved over, to be the new Market team... If this happens, the interviews (its a pay raise now, so I think they have too). Should be hilarious. (was a PA of three years).
Never, because no DTL wants to go through the sad realization that a store or multiple stores are failing in their district that they may or may be able to fix. They all seem fine with sugar coated visits, i always see them texting the stl's at stores their entire movements when the Group is walking with them, its sad to see such hipocracy.

If I was a DTL, in one of these pilot districts, I would be going in, unannounced and ask to be LOD for 2 hours (because I could, and that is probably the best way to learn a stores situation). The current LOD could go take a break (which would probably be just be two hours of paranoid sweating.)

You mean the LOD would run around trying to make all problems go out of sight before the DTL could see it.

I would then (afterword) sit down for an hour with them privately, and ask them their actual opinion on wins/ops, while having two hours in their shoes it could lead to building not only trust, but something actually constructive.

Target culture is too much of a "yes man" mentality for this to actually happen. They don't want opinions from the store level on what's actually working or not. They just want you to make it work, no matter how broken it is.

we need more market TMs, they had 4 TMs scheduled this past Sunday,. 2 TMs to pull the autos and back stock dry, 2 TMs to push autos and truck (about 17 u boats full), so they got done with all of dry and never touched dairy or freezer from the daily FDC truck, ouch.
They should prioritize fresh over dry. The LOD should've had a smart huddle and had the whole store give a hand or at least the market team should've focused on fresh and hardlines could've done dry with all the leaders helping too.

Never, because no DTL wants to go through the sad realization that a store or multiple stores are failing in their district that they may or may be able to fix. They all seem fine with sugar coated visits, i always see them texting the stl's at stores their entire movements when the Group is walking with them, its sad to see such hipocracy.
They only care to have a good store for the visits but 99% of time they don't give a shit how bad the zone is and this makes it less efficient and thus promoting less sales since we look worse than Walmart. Guest service CIHYFS is BS. People don't care if you ask them. If the prices are too high, I don't care how many times you ask or smile, out the door I go. I go where I can afford. Walking them to the item? Fuck no! Use your fucking eyes. I gave you a description and it's not rocket science. If you gave me a tip, then I will walk you to the item.

Target culture is too much of a "yes man" mentality for this to actually happen. They don't want opinions from the store level on what's actually working or not. They just want you to make it work, no matter how broken it is.
Yes and if you want to keep your job you'll tell the emperor how nice his clothes look. Or in other words if you want to keep your job you don't tell your boss his/her grand idea stinks. Give 'em the old razzle dazzle!
Give 'em the old razzle dazzle!Razzle Dazzle 'em

"Give 'em an act with lots of flash in it
And the reaction will be passionate
Give 'em the old hocus pocus
Bead and feather 'em
How can they see with sequins in their eyes?

What if your hinges all are rusting?
What if, in fact, you're just disgusting?

Razzle dazzle 'em
And they;ll never catch wise!

Give 'em the old Razzle Dazzle

Razzle dazzle 'em
Give 'em a show that's so splendiferous
Row after row will grow vociferous

Give 'em the old flim flam flummox
Fool and fracture 'em

How can they hear the truth above the roar?

Throw 'em a fake and a finagle
They'll never know you're just a bagel,

Razzle dazzle 'em
And they'll beg you for more!

Give 'em the old double whammy
Daze and dizzy 'em
Back since the days of old Methuselah
Everyone loves the big bambooz-a-lah

Give 'em the old three ring circus
Stun and stagger 'em
When you're in trouble, go into your dance

Though you are stiffer than a girder
They'll let you get away with murder
Razzle dazzle 'em
And you've got a romance

Give 'em the old Razzle Dazzle
Razzle dazzle 'em
Show 'em the first rate sorcerer you are
Long as you keep 'em way off balance
How can they spot you've got no talents?
Razzle Dazzle 'em

And they'll make you a star!

Last edited:
The GM Leads oversee the processes still needing unloads and stockers so they also run the truck. It's 3 of them now vs 1 flow tl. They just need to make sure the truck is unloading and the departments are doing their thing sfs and opu is also under GM.
So in my store that would mean one Flow TL that is inept and two TLS who have never pushed a box supervising us instead of the one flow team trainer that currently runs the truck. Awesome.

If I was a DTL, in one of these pilot districts, I would be going in, unannounced and ask to be LOD for 2 hours (because I could, and that is probably the best way to learn a stores situation). The current LOD could go take a break (which would probably be just be two hours of paranoid sweating.) I would then (afterword) sit down for an hour with them privately, and ask them their actual opinion on wins/ops, while having two hours in their shoes it could lead to building not only trust, but something actually constructive.

Does this ever happen? no.
There is no LOD anymore.

No visit last week and now we are on day 9 of this modernization.
I heard that soft lines is going to be in charge of C and D, cause it is style. Hardlines will now own electronics.

And we still need more than 8 tms to push all of dry from truck push autos and then push dairy and freezer every day. 2 whole pallets sitting in the freezer.
Home is a Style team. Softlines is not really a "thing" in itself .... Style includes A and A (accessories and apparel) Beauty, and Home. Electronics answers to the GM Hardlines Lead but still has dedicated employees (team members are no longer a thing... I think they are now "experts", but I will admit to forgetting. All Style employees are now known as "consultants".) Home now includes decor (including furniture), bath, bedding, and kitchen and excludes plastics. Hardware is up in the air still for us but for now is still Home as opposed to hardlines. As seen on TV is a home department, but because of where it is located in our store will not be included with Home responsibilities, although I do believe that those sales numbers still reflect on the Home team.

Home is a Style team. Softlines is not really a "thing" in itself .... Style includes A and A (accessories and apparel) Beauty, and Home. Electronics answers to the GM Hardlines Lead but still has dedicated employees (team members are no longer a thing... I think they are now "experts", but I will admit to forgetting. All Style employees are now known as "consultants".) Home now includes decor (including furniture), bath, bedding, and kitchen and excludes plastics. Hardware is up in the air still for us but for now is still Home as opposed to hardlines. As seen on TV is a home department, but because of where it is located in our store will not be included with Home responsibilities, although I do believe that those sales numbers still reflect on the Home team.

csrpFUp.gif

Might be different by store cause we're doing a Beauty & Tech Lead. And the team members are consultants. Logistics+hardlines+market are the experts .

Last edited:
Might be different by store cause we're doing a Beauty & Tech Lead. And the team members are consultants. Logistics+hardlines+market are the experts .
No, we just don't have the BTL yet... they're doing an external hire for it. It is still considered a Style team, though.

With the store modernization process are they re-arranging where everything goes? Or does everything stay as is and the TMs (experts) have to run around to fit the store's layout?

So the same team that does purses, cosmetics, and clothing will also be doing furniture? Like, the large "team lift" furniture?

Maybe, but probably not. At least with the way that my store is running things, they're both Style but Apparel is just responsible for Apparel and Infant Hardlines.

Maybe, but probably not. At least with the way that my store is running things, they're both Style but Apparel is just responsible for Apparel and Infant Hardlines.
I wish they'd take infant hardlines away from apparel. I get why we own it, but at the same time, it's so different from everything else we do.

Its going to be a spectacular failure. and eventually Target will migrate back to the way it was before this insanity only with palletized freight.

Anyone in a store where leadership doesn't trust team members enough to train them to do everything? Where you basically have teams within a team that are dedicated to one or two tasks on a regular basis and never touch any of the other stuff their position is supposed to know how to do?

It feels like it... Part of me gets where they're coming from with the TMs we have but the other part of me feels like they're sealing our fate toward failure by not trying. Of course with the moaning and groaning over the parts the TMs actually do I can only imagine how they'd behave if they had to learn the rest. -_-

Anyone in a store where leadership doesn't trust team members enough to train them to do everything? Where you basically have teams within a team that are dedicated to one or two tasks on a regular basis and never touch any of the other stuff their position is supposed to know how to do?

I dwell in this store you speak of and it fails at many other aspects too.

Back