MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just putting bodies on the sales floor doesn't help if they don't help with anything but stocking.

Our old flow team has actually embraced helping guests. They're expected to backup cashier and answer call buttons as well. Anyone who isn't helping guests and refuses to adapt will be performanced out. Their job isn't to just unload the truck and stock the shelves anymore.

I cant see why having more sales floor people is a problem lol

Just echoing others, but it's not a problem if your store actually puts the payroll into getting everyone cashier trained. I've been asking my ETL and STL when that's going to happen for months and nothing. It's frustrating to hear the ETL-LOG tell me that my team has the most people on the floor, so we have to go to the checklanes for, literally, every call for backup.

If we could just get PPTMs on board with backing up the lanes, life would be much better! They can literally be working in $spot and won't help. That's gotta look great for the guests.

In other news, the new TS&S process seems to be going really well at our store. Heard a TM say he was baffled at how quickly they were actually able to finish pushing.

The cuts have been made to front end, but the backup folks are still allowed to ignore help requests. It's a mess for customers. Yesterday one person threw her items at me as she marched out. We had zero lanes open and a line at sco.

Sad. We bleeding regular shoppers. Nobody is going to pay more for that experience.

What makes me laugh is that we stll have crazy redcard goals. Let's see. You cut hours, insulted us by grabbing public relations cookies while hiding the truth that we are NOT better off paycheck wise. You ignore the obvious that we engage and talk up redcards ASwe are checking folks SCO will never be as effective. People hate them and resent the shift.

And, we are watching people wait as long as 30 minutes for a simple carryout.

Now you want us to push cartwheel, and customers have told you...its too much work.

Its schizophrenic to suggest this is good customer service.

Advice...Get your most experienced AA Team members to help with remodel. Also find your execution guide/book and make copies. Read the execution guide book and get really familiar with the fixtures, etc... Organize your fixtures if your haven't done so already. It was a nightmare for us to not have it organized. Had to touch pallets more than 3 times to find what was needed. Visit another 2.0 store near you if that's possible and take pictures. It helped us. Don't expect it to be perfect, you'll be able to tweak it after the remodel. Just get everything moved and fixtures installed. Good luck and hope yours goes well.
Label clearly. :)

I really am liking the ISM signs, especially in RTW. Our pants look great. But, we still have a long ways to go. I want to be able to see us come clean on truck more frequently. We have times where we have no call-outs and yet the very full team still leaves several metros and Z-Racks, I have only had two times where I wasn't able to finish RTW/YAS truck for the day. The first time was because there was a lot left over from the previous day and I had to catch up before I actually started pushing the new merchandise. The second time was because I was trending overtime and it wasn't caught earlier (edited schedule), so I had to leave before lunch.

This is going to continue to happen if we don't start changing the culture of re-training everyone. Expectations have been set but the training is not going along with it.
This is why I can't wait to see how Plano being eliminated goes. Lots of plano TMs will just quit or do a shitty job training the salesfloor on how to set, so it's gonna be a real shitshow. The communal fixture room, for example, will be great to see. :eek:

This is why I can't wait to see how Plano being eliminated goes. Lots of plano TMs will just quit or do a shitty job training the salesfloor on how to set, so it's gonna be a real shitshow. The communal fixture room, for example, will be great to see. :eek:
The Plano team took pride in ensuring fixtures were put away after every set. Held each other accountable and other work centers as well about putting their "shit" away in the right areas of the fixture room. I'll be glad to give up the responsibility! It'll be like moving out of an apartment that I shared with roommates that don't have the same integrity to keep the apartment clean. I don't have to "police" people anymore. It'll no longer be mine to control or worry...🤗. I was told I'm too much of a perfectionist but I saw it as well this perfectionist kept the Steritech score green..."Your Welcome!"😉

Last edited:
If we could just get PPTMs on board with backing up the lanes, life would be much better! They can literally be working in $spot and won't help. That's gotta look great for the guests.
The expectations of my PPTM's are to let the salesfloor people respond first then if no one responds, go ahead and jump on a lane to help. We are all well aware that guest come first but if you want to make it fair all across the store then shouldn't everyone respond? It's not that they won't help it's, we are trying to get BPG set and pushed as quickly as possible to avoid disrupting guest shopping. Are you going to help the PPTM's set or push their freight once they are done backing up? If you do then great! If you don't then don't judge them for not being the first responders to a back up call at the front lane just because they are right there.

Last edited:
I cant see why having more sales floor people is a problem lol
It all depends on how those extra sales floor people are being used. If you cut the hours from the front with the intention of the additional floor coverage to help with backups, and half those people are not cashier trained, how is that effectively using resources? All it takes is one or more front-end callouts to impact what the sales floor can accomplish. If they are constantly helping back up then guests are not being helped on the sales floor.

So modernization is finally entering its full effect at my store tomorrow. Recieving is set-up for the 4 am unload, who immediately pushes afterwards. Softlines is still setting up the A&A backstock profiles. There is no O/N or D/S backroom team. With the exception of the (newly hired) BRTL and 2 TMs, everyone is considered Hardlines. Flow team is responsible for pushing HBA, Pets, Paper and Chem. Everyone else does Home, Furn, Bed, Domestics, Toys, Diapers, and Baby Food. Anyone who pulls autofills, got to push and backstock it. There is no leaving any backstock behind. That's later.

Now, we have people who don't care or who aren't trained properly. Backroom profiles are being ignored, product stacked on other products, not stored in available locations, Ghosts, baffles, etc. I've had to update and condense 2 aisles which get destroyed within 2 days. No accountability or consistency. Salesfloor not being zoned, researched and filled accordingly. Can't keep fixing if we can't prevent it.

I am gonna admit. This pisses me off. I'm global. This company/my store has given us more responsibilities and takes our resources. I have seen too many good people leave. The rest of us have to pick up the slack of those there for the paycheck. My team has gotten berated for the mistakes of what others do. My "team" is down to 6, with 2 more about to leave. 3 of us also cover SFS when they get slammed or slack off. As Logistics, we do pulls, backstock, item merge, sweep, price change, clean, Flex Fufillment, updates, and any other project they drop on. All we asked for was communication and consistency. When we finally come to a reasonable decision that allows us to properly utilize our people, it gets overridden without notification. People have been forced to pick up 2nd jobs.

When STL and ETL-HR asks people to stay later, they (TMs) can't. They (STL, HR and LOD) ask why. Because they screwed the team by not giving them hours. The tenures are hanging on by the thread. Pretty soon the most experienced will have an average of 6 months.

Last edited:
which is what corp wants. that 6 month person might, well they don't know nearly as much as the 10+ year people but by golly they are cheaper.

this isn't true unless somehow a TM was making hella bank before Target started increasing the starting wage. it costs a ton of money to onboard new team members, so even if you're at a dollar above base right now, you're already trained so it's much cheaper to keep you than to hire a new person

which is what corp wants. that 6 month person might, well they don't know nearly as much as the 10+ year people but by golly they are cheaper.
Cheaper, how!? Soon the minimum wage will be $15 an hour and corporation is going to what? They will say that because new hires are getting paid a substantial amount per hour that they "should" be required to do the work of a 10+ year person. What sense does that make? It doesn't...

Testing 1-2-3...UNION UNION UNION, IS THIS THING ON?!

Hi corporate! It seems y'all are a bit confused about the expectations of a $15 per hour wage and what exactly this entails. I know it can be tricky because none of you can remember the last time you handled a US currency note that didn't have Benjamin Franklin's picture on it and wasn't in a bundle with a paper band around the middle. It's okay, I get it. Now, I do certainly agree that a higher wage should come with greater expectations, so I did you guys a solid and calculated a figure that includes all of the most important store roles and some fun extras too!

Rent, utilities, insurance..........................18.00
Food, other essentials..............................10.00
Being cashier trained................................10.00
Being guest service trained....................15.00
Reliable attendance bonus........................2.00
Expert bale maker bonus............................2.00
Extremely green BRLA bonus....................2.00
Hot weather cart attendant bonus..........5.00
Safe work bonus.............................................5.00
Truck thrower bonus.....................................5.00
Total hourly wage:...........................$74.00

Feel free to contact me via DM, I'm always willing to negotiate!

Cheaper we are all making the same 12 dollars.
If you work 1 day or 10 years still 12 dollars per hour.

So here is the facts that I am seeing and correct me if I am wrong.
1. TM's will get paid the same (new hires and current) but their work ethic is not the same.
2. TM's who are busting ass to get work done will be treated the same as someone who just does the bare minimum, so why bother having a great work ethic.
3. It doesn't matter how hard you work or accomplish because if you don't finish it will still be there for you the next time you work because no one will have your back and help you finish.
4. It has become "Everyone for themselves" environment.
5. Spot is no longer "Fun, Fast and Friendly" it has become "Frantic, Fickle and Fake."

pensions, company provided health insurance, etc.
A lot of the TMs who have been here for years are on benefits (and rightly so), but when they are forced out corporate saves all that benefits, vacation, sick pay, insurance, etc. money. How many of these new hires will ever get enough hours to qualify for benefits? Probably very few. That’s why new hires are cheaper, even at a slightly higher wage.😢

It all depends on how those extra sales floor people are being used. If you cut the hours from the front with the intention of the additional floor coverage to help with backups, and half those people are not cashier trained, how is that effectively using resources? All it takes is one or more front-end callouts to impact what the sales floor can accomplish. If they are constantly helping back up then guests are not being helped on the sales floor.

This happens at my store constantly. Theres no one on the sales floor, then all of those guests only see SFS walking around.

Back